Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Torturephile wrote:The peanut gallery took over half of the episode again. Most of the track "Desperate Assault" or whatever it is called now
It's now called "Heroic Battle"
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 pm

What a fucking tremendous and oustanding episode. Holy HELL!!! EVERYTHING WAS FANATASIC! instead of complaining about reused animation, look towards the animation actually being used well and looking amazing. So glad that opening animation was used!

SON GOKUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! and Jiren, oh my god. loved how serious he got and just how Belmod was hellbent on getting him to win. I felt the stakes in this episode. Vegeta's speech to Belmod and Goku were fantastic. Absolutely well done. When the gods all stand up and the Whis and Beerus dialogue.. all of it. Agh!!! Hahahaha I'm sorry, it was just so good. This is the most important moment in DB history! MIGATTE NO GOKUI!!!! So epic.

The preview.... oh my lord... next episode looks like it's gonna be a monster. I'm so hyped to see two of the biggest titans in the medium go at it. Dragon Ball Super really outdid itself on this one.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Extreme_kai wrote:
I agree. This episode did not live up to it's hype. There was so much reused animation that I was so bored out of my mind. I was only beginning to gain interest again once Vegeta begun his speech about Saiyans breaking their limits throughout the tournament. I thought that was such great writing on their part, glad he wasn't boasting about his pride for the 100th time. The last 5 minutes as well was great.

I can get past the reused animation. I don't know if its just me, but the aura effects for UI, SSB, and Jiren are so god damn ugly. I can barely see the characters through those eye-sores which is frustrating to deal with when they fight and being unable to see their movements through those effects.
The character moments for me were really what kept the episode afloat, it's just a shame they had to be forced into a final battle that will only span possibly less than 2 whole episodes. I think the show could have afforded to rush it's pacing and have worked out better for it. I have no clue what the showrunners have in store for the finale if they feel so comfortable moving the plot along at a snail's pace.

As an amateur animator, I do understand the necessity of reusing animation, I'm guilty of it myself. My problem was mainly that one punch dodge scene between Jiren and Goku (that I believe is an episode exclusive). While beautifully animated and illustrated it just kept getting shoved into our face during Whis commentary. First it was the normal sequence, then zoomed in, and eventually, Goku had his eyes closed. I personally don't have a problem with their aura's but I could see them becoming a strain on the eyes after awhile. I actually love the UI Aura, in particular, it gave Goku a very ethereal /angelic vibe it almost lowkey had me on the Goku is an angel train for a second.
Also amateur animator and I will tell you that I reuse a ton but thats only effects like smoke or impacts.

I can't in good heart reused choreography.

Dylanrockin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dylanrockin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 pm

MrTennek wrote:Awful, just awful. Nothing but re-used animation except for a few select instances. This show needs to be put out of its misery already... :thumbdown:
Dude, where have you been? Almost every anime, ever, has reused animation at some point.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:25 pm

Dylanrockin wrote:
MrTennek wrote:Awful, just awful. Nothing but re-used animation except for a few select instances. This show needs to be put out of its misery already... :thumbdown:
Dude, where have you been? Almost every anime, ever, has reused animation at some point.
Well yea, but that's not the point. You don't use reused animation this excessively in basically the finale. That didn't really bother me personally but it does lower The overall quality significantly. The whole fight this episode was pretty underwhelming until we got to the last 5 minutes. It feels like they just want to end this as fast as possible with as little effort or thought put into it as they can get by with. Episode 110 was better than these last 2 or 3 by far. The interactions between the gods and fighters in the stands was better than any of the actual fighting.
Last edited by Zagacious on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Reused animation and a lot of exposition was plagued in the first half thankfully we had two great scenes here like Vegeta speech and Beerus shutting up Krillin and told him observed and the shot of Goku at the end was awesome and addition of the Gods bowing down to Mastered Ul.
    Also how the hell Frieza is still standing after Goku and Jiren destroyed half of the arena.
    Mostly active on discord.

Extreme_kai
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 pm

Totamo wrote:
    Extreme_kai wrote:
    I agree. This episode did not live up to it's hype. There was so much reused animation that I was so bored out of my mind. I was only beginning to gain interest again once Vegeta begun his speech about Saiyans breaking their limits throughout the tournament. I thought that was such great writing on their part, glad he wasn't boasting about his pride for the 100th time. The last 5 minutes as well was great.

I can get past the reused animation. I don't know if its just me, but the aura effects for UI, SSB, and Jiren are so god damn ugly. I can barely see the characters through those eye-sores which is frustrating to deal with when they fight and being unable to see their movements through those effects.
    The character moments for me were really what kept the episode afloat, it's just a shame they had to be forced into a final battle that will only span possibly less than 2 whole episodes. I think the show could have afforded to rush it's pacing and have worked out better for it. I have no clue what the showrunners have in store for the finale if they feel so comfortable moving the plot along at a snail's pace.

As an amateur animator, I do understand the necessity of reusing animation, I'm guilty of it myself. My problem was mainly that one punch dodge scene between Jiren and Goku (that I believe is an episode exclusive). While beautifully animated and illustrated it just kept getting shoved into our face during Whis commentary. First it was the normal sequence, then zoomed in, and eventually, Goku had his eyes closed. I personally don't have a problem with their aura's but I could see them becoming a strain on the eyes after awhile. I actually love the UI Aura, in particular, it gave Goku a very ethereal /angelic vibe it almost lowkey had me on the Goku is an angel train for a second.
    Also amateur animator and I will tell you that I reuse a ton but thats only effects like smoke or impacts.

I can't in good heart reused choreography.
    I hear ya. For me, it personally depends on what type of animating I'm doing and how many animators are helping me. I'm currently doing a long-running series alone releasing every 2-3 months (20 eps so far).I do script writing, animation, I voice act a character on top of managing other voice actors. I tried for a while to avoid reusing stuff but the workload got too intense for me. So for the sake of my sanity, I do reuse things like walk cycles etc often. If I was doing something like a short movie I probably wouldn't cause I'd have more time to work on it.

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:32 pm

The best part was Vegeta pointing out Saiyans having an unlimited ability to power up. I also loved him putting his full trust in Goku cause if he can't do it who will. Another great part (there are a lot) was Goku completely destroying Jiren in the end, it's about time someone put him in his place.
    July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Professor Freeza
    Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:38 pm

I dunno what people saw, but the only reused animation were the Kefla KHH and the Intro/Ep110 Fist Fight. Hardly distracting.

This episode has had the BEST SCALING of this Entire Series. The stage looks gigantic like it should, the impacts and explosions are engulfing most of the stage.

Also the Vegeta's quip on Saiyans and the last 5 mins were Spectacular.

The NEP looks fantastic too. Jiren is the most ripped DB guy i have seen.

Nero<>Akira
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:44 pm

I actually forgot about Freeza watching this
    Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:46 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:I actually forgot about Freeza watching this
    Only because they purposely don't show Freeza, they wouldn't even show his picture on the scoreboard...which is stupid.

Are these writers really expecting people to be shocked when Freeza is still in the ring in the last episode?

Spider-Man
    Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:48 pm

Vegeta speech and the ending was the highlights in this episode.
      Anyway it was ok but the peanut gallery and reused animation kinda prevented this from being one of the greatest episode.
      Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
      Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 pm

precita wrote:
      Nero<>Akira wrote:I actually forgot about Freeza watching this
      Only because they purposely don't show Freeza, they wouldn't even show his picture on the scoreboard...which is stupid.

Are these writers really expecting people to be shocked when Freeza is still in the ring in the last episode?
      The layman watching the series would and not people who ponder plot twists 24/7.
      Feels over Reals.

OverHeaven
      Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 pm

In general, the episode was great. Though compared to all the hype and high expectations I had it sure left a good amount of disappointment.

This was the best scene of the episode, I wish Goku would've stayed like this. People say it'll look better in the anime, but it still feels lame and lazy af to me including the NEP scenes. Doesn't have half the intimidating vibes OMEN showed in the 110 and 116.

Jackalope89
      Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Good episode.

And really liked Vegeta pointing out that Saiyans have a tendency to constantly surpass their limits. And when Belmod realized it, you could see the "oh crap" pop up on his face.

But man, the battle just put all previous ones to shame in terms of scope.

Extreme_kai
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:00 am

OverHeaven wrote:In general, the episode was great. Though compared to all the hype and high expectations I had it sure left a good amount of disappointment.

This was the best scene of the episode, I wish Goku would've stayed like this. People say it'll look better in the anime, but it still feels lame and lazy af to me including the NEP scenes. Doesn't have half the intimidating vibes OMEN showed in the 110 and 116.
      I think Goku looks more intimidating in unmastered UI and the mid mastered transformation when his body and hair glows white. The final form honestly looks like a downgrade to me. I just can't get hyped for SSjGod Kaneki Ken.

ssj3kakarot
      Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 am

Favorite part was Beerus.

"You lot. Shut up and watch"

Finally, Big Purple is giving Goku the respect he deserves.

Not as good as when Goku went UI the 1st time... " He's coming"...NOW that gave me a yummy gummy gasm!
      " I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Polyphase Avatron
      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:11 am

Comments on this episode:

- Does it really make sense to just stand there and have a staredown when time is ticking down and Universe 7 will win if it runs out (assuming Freeza is still in the ring)?
      - Despite the repeated animation the fight is pretty good so far
      - The Hakaishin from the excluded universes in the tournament don't really look all that impressed... perhaps they're still above Goku and Jiren
      - I wonder how the Kaioshin can even see them fighting at this speed, being so much weaker than them...
      - The Zenos doing the Kamehameha pose was funny. Makes me wonder if they could actually do that and fire something from their hands.
      - I think that's the first time we've ever seen someone transforming an offensive ki attack into a defensive barrier like that...
      - This part of the fight is getting pretty awesome
      - The multicolored explosions there remind me of TTGL
      - Now Roshi can see them clearly... whatever
      - There's that ki blast shot from the OP...
      - So is Whis basically saying that Goku is losing all perception of everything going on, like he's fighting in his sleep or something?
      - You'd figure Jiren could destroy the arena faster if he was really trying. Then again, the interpretation that he wants to test Goku and push him hard enough to get a good fight from him makes sense here.
      - Did Piccolo just imply that Goku needs to use his hands to use Instant Transmission? I didn't know if that was true or not.
      - I like this new version of the song
      - That's a neat visual effect. It also looks like Jiren is just waiting for him to power up again.
      - All of the Hakaishin are standing up, I wonder if that means that they're acknowledging that Goku is stronger than them now? Although probably still weaker than the Angels
      - Now I see they've both lost their shirts. Funny how they never lose their pants the same way in these fights.

Well the episode didn't really live up to the hype, but then again what could? It was still good, though.
      Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Artorias
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:14 am

Another week, another Super episode ruined by excessive reused animation.

And I mean that literally, because I think this would've been a genuinely phenomenal episode had it not been for that one issue, but that one issue brings it down quite a bit. And before anyone tells me or someone else that we're "overreacting"...no we aren't. Having a FEW bits and pieces of reused animation here and there is totally fine and honestly expected, but when literally ALMOST HALF of your freaking episode is reused, there's a problem. That is utterly unacceptable, especially for the climax of your arc, of your SHOW.

Again, other than the reused animation, I thought this episode was pretty spectacular on all fronts. The writing was some of the best I've seen in a while (specifically the legitimately beautiful Whis dialogue), what new action we did get looked great, the ending moment was legendary, the music was on point, etc. I also want to give special shoutout to the direction and storyboard, which was just INCREDIBLE. One of the best directed episodes of the arc for sure.

Everything except the animation felt like a climax, but it's just too glaring of a flaw to ignore. So in the end I can't really bring myself to say this was a good episode. There's individual moments I won't ever forget, but overall it fell short of expectations.

prince212
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:26 am

Never get tired of u.i ritual of music and awesome movements, chapter was so so about dialogue content , other that “the saiyans surpassing one after the other exposition, didn’t you notice ?..”.
      They abuse about bermout asking Jiren to finish ... not so original at this point . And too late
      Looks nice to see Jiren scared and surprise, this battle looks done towards u7 side .. of course
      It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....