"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:57 pm

"I will never forget you, Goku." Wow, that line was delivered really good.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:01 am

Masters did a good job, although some of his line came off as flat in places. Then again, the voices sounded off the entire episode for everyone for me. It's probably my TV.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:03 am

DHM211 wrote:"I will never forget you, Goku." Wow, that line was delivered really good.
I agree.

So, to add to my earlier post, Marsters did a great job here as Zamasu. The only comparison I can think to make is how Eric Vale voices Sanji in One Piece. They both have a range that they use, but their main voices for each aren't necessarily how they talk as them all the time, which I think helps here. I'm definitely seeing how prepping for playing Zamasu helped influence his performance, & it's also as I put a little while ago, as he got good direction from Sabat, as well as the animation to work off of too. XV2 was just a dip in the shallow end, now let's see how he does moving into the deep end of the pool as he gets more lines & screen time.

Not sure what to make of Gowasu's VA, but it's not bad. Serviceable at worst, personally.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:04 am

Suffice to say that while I had my worries on this episode, what with Marster's aged and grizzled Zamasu in Xenoverse, this episode quickly amended my worries. He played Zamasu as exactly what his character is; no British or grizzly nonsense, Zamasu's a doubting and misguided young adult who's too stupidly philosphical for his britches. It may sound silly of me to suggest such an outrageous claim, but I genuinely think that Marsters took inspiration from Kenneth Brannath's "Hamlet" adaptation; not only do I now realize how similar the two characters are already, he plays Zamasu with a soft yet sheltered edge. Easily one of the best voice choices for this dub, which is an amazing turn-around coming off of absolutely hating the original take. I quickly look forward to how he evolves the character dynamically, seeing as he'll have to play 3 different takes of him in succession. Congrats on a job well done.

Some criticisms though, Gowasu was utterly dry here and Goku... well, I was hoping Schmmel would dial back the stupid of the original script, but instead Goku's kinda whiny here. Whatever. I came to this episode to hear Zamasu, and Zamasu passed with flying colors.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:07 am

Scsigs wrote:Hmm. Marsters is doing a good job at the more soft-spoken dialogue so far. As I thought he would.
Kinda weird how they pronounce "Zamasu" & "Gowasu" though.
Zamasu is off but serviceable. The way they pronounce Gowasu irked me like crazy lol. They put more emphasis on the Go rather than the Wa...They def should change that.

Anyways, I must say, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I would of liked. Marsters did a great job as Zamasu but I don't really like Gowasu's voice. When he speaks, it's as if a narrator is speaking rather than the character and the delivery of the lines is poor. Also, the Trunks and 18 part as well was much more convincing in the Jap. 18 was decent but the acting by Trunks seemed way off.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 am

Whoever is editing these Dragon Ball Super previews is having too much fun
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:16 am

Sean going from goofy Goku to dead serious Goku was jarring in this episode.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 am

HeroR wrote:Sean going from goofy Goku to dead serious Goku was jarring in this episode.
That's probably because Goku constantly shifts from goofy to serious in this episode. I mean, Sean has more experience playing serious Goku than goofy & Super has Goku's goofiness ramped up passed where it should be & rarely has him get really serious or even has him have an air of seriousness. In this episode specifically, Goku's goofy side is on full display as a result of the original writers flanderizing him. Because Toriyama's not as involved with the anime as he probably should be, the writers have to guess as to how Goku would act in the situations presented & the act is "goofy & never takes anything serious," which isn't even how Goku acted in the Buu Saga a majority of the time. They should be basing Goku's personality on the arcs of Z from before the Buu Saga, not that arc in particular, since it had very inconsistent writing of everything in it as a result of Toriyama inconsistently writing everything.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:12 am

In 3 syllable names, the emphasis is often put on the 1st syllable. Look at Naruto, for example.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:54 am

TheAldella wrote:In 3 syllable names, the emphasis is often put on the 1st syllable. Look at Naruto, for example.
It's not the emphasis that bothers me, as it is the pronunciation. Zamasu is something I've pretty consistently heard pronounced "Zuh-moss-u", similarly with Gowasu being pronounced "Go-woss-u."
I've found the clip of them talking from the sub & they pretty consistently pronounce their names that way, so it's not just me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V9j5wDXFFE

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:00 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Sean going from goofy Goku to dead serious Goku was jarring in this episode.
That's probably because Goku constantly shifts from goofy to serious in this episode. I mean, Sean has more experience playing serious Goku than goofy & Super has Goku's goofiness ramped up passed where it should be & rarely has him get really serious or even has him have an air of seriousness. In this episode specifically, Goku's goofy side is on full display as a result of the original writers flanderizing him. Because Toriyama's not as involved with the anime as he probably should be, the writers have to guess as to how Goku would act in the situations presented & the act is "goofy & never takes anything serious," which isn't even how Goku acted in the Buu Saga a majority of the time. They should be basing Goku's personality on the arcs of Z from before the Buu Saga, not that arc in particular, since it had very inconsistent writing of everything in it as a result of Toriyama inconsistently writing everything.
That isn't really true since he was all business against Freeza in the retelling even more so than he was in the movie. The same with Battle of Gods where Goku was mostly serious.

Also, Toriyama didn't like how Goku was written in Z.
Kanassa wrote:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:33 am

HeroR wrote:That isn't really true since he was all business against Freeza in the retelling even more so than he was in the movie. The same with Battle of Gods where Goku was mostly serious.

Well, Goku can still get serious, but he was still having a great time more so than still taking it deadly seriously, which is in Goku's character, but I feel he didn't take things entirely seriously until he got shot by the laser gun. Battle of Gods, he had a moment like that early on after he got curb-stomped by Beerus. In this arc, I don't think he's really serious until way into the arc when he faces Black & Zamasu. I can't speak about the Universe Survival Arc because I haven't seen it all, but the fact that they actually had in the script that Goku's pretty entirely blasé about everything is concerning when his universe, & many others, are in trouble & all he's focused on is the fight. I don't know. After the movie retellings, it gets iffy most of the time.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:54 am

After watching episode 53 dubbed, episode 129 feels like One Punch Man animation wise... The fact that these 2 episode belong to the same series is insane!!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:39 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:That isn't really true since he was all business against Freeza in the retelling even more so than he was in the movie. The same with Battle of Gods where Goku was mostly serious.

Well, Goku can still get serious, but he was still having a great time more so than still taking it deadly seriously, which is in Goku's character, but I feel he didn't take things entirely seriously until he got shot by the laser gun. Battle of Gods, he had a moment like that early on after he got curb-stomped by Beerus. In this arc, I don't think he's really serious until way into the arc when he faces Black & Zamasu. I can't speak about the Universe Survival Arc because I haven't seen it all, but the fact that they actually had in the script that Goku's pretty entirely blasé about everything is concerning when his universe, & many others, are in trouble & all he's focused on is the fight. I don't know. After the movie retellings, it gets iffy most of the time.
He clearly did since he outright said he didn't like fighting Freeza and utterly despises him when they fought in the retelling. He's seriously in this arc after he meets Black again. Even then, he was only extremely goofy in this episode.

As for the Universal Survival Saga, everyone is blasé about universes being erased.
Hit!! wrote:After watching episode 53 dubbed, episode 129 feels like One Punch Man animation wise... The fact that these 2 episode belong to the same series is insane!!

One episode is a dialog heavy episode with only a brief sparring match. The other main point is fighting and is the backbone of the entire episode. So the animation quality would naturally be higher.
Kanassa wrote:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 am

Consider my doubts eased about Zamasu. Wow, that was a legit great performance. I forgot how on the nose Zamasu's characterisation is in this episode. Like, they weren't subtle at all about his intentions. It speaks well of Marsters that I could enjoy it in spite of that. I'm not as sure about Gowasu. It's not bad, it's just...I don't know, too husky? Whatever, can't complain. Everything's on point so far in the dub and likely will be for the next couple of episodes. Really, we're all just waiting anxiously for Rose to see whether or not Schemmel ruins the whole thing.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 am

I love Zamasu so much. His accent truly denotes his arrogant and vainglorious personality, as well as his strong superiority complex. I cannot wait to hear Marsters' performance when Fused Zamasu starts to break both phisically and mentally in episode 66.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Still don't really like Zamasu. Gonna take me awhile to get used to him. Gowasu sounds fine to me

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 pm

I can say that the Zamasu voice actor is actually trying his best. This is going to take me a hell of a lot of time to get used to
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Hmm. Marsters Zamasu is shockingly great. Much better than whatever the hell we got in Xenoverse 2.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Consider my doubts eased about Zamasu. Wow, that was a legit great performance. I forgot how on the nose Zamasu's characterisation is in this episode. Like, they weren't subtle at all about his intentions. It speaks well of Marsters that I could enjoy it in spite of that. I'm not as sure about Gowasu. It's not bad, it's just...I don't know, too husky? Whatever, can't complain. Everything's on point so far in the dub and likely will be for the next couple of episodes. Really, we're all just waiting anxiously for Rose to see whether or not Schemmel ruins the whole thing.
Indeed, there's just something about Gowasu that threw me off. His voice sounds gruffy a bit but it also sounds like he's just reading a line of a page instead of putting the acting in it. To me, it sounded like a narrator talking instead of the words coming out of Gowasu's mouth.

I watched the episode again, and I still hope they change the way they pronounce his name too. Instead of GO-wa-su it should be Go-WA-su.