"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:12 pm

KayDash wrote:Kale (with Caulifla): Really similar situation. We already have Brolly, so if they want another "big slow strong brawler" type of character, why would they choose Kale? Gameplay and uniqueness-wise both Caulifla (with Kale) or Kefla would make much more sense, then her.
Who would they choose instead? Toppo is the only other big name option. Maybe Zarbon if you're stretching. Olibu. :P Besides which, it seems like most people are forgetting that the slimmed down form is her true form. If they ever did bring Kale to DBFZ I'd hope that would be the one they'd use.

I'd also hope that if they did multiple characters in one again they'd be more expansive in scope than 18 w/17's example. Perhaps even acting like a stance switch.

On the subject of music, using the Japanese OST mods has really been transformative in how immersive the game feels. Putting on the tracks yourself just isn't the same thing as having the game's cues control when they play. Highly encourage anyone on PC to try it out.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Simere wrote:
KayDash wrote:Kale (with Caulifla): Really similar situation. We already have Brolly, so if they want another "big slow strong brawler" type of character, why would they choose Kale? Gameplay and uniqueness-wise both Caulifla (with Kale) or Kefla would make much more sense, then her.
Who would they choose instead? Toppo is the only other big name option. Maybe Zarbon if you're stretching. Olibu. :P Besides which, it seems like most people are forgetting that the slimmed down form is her true form. If they ever did bring Kale to DBFZ I'd hope that would be the one they'd use.
Do you mean what other big character, right? Magetta, Toppo or even Jiren. Or if we ever get to original DB territory then: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I wouldn't mind a Caulifla (+Kale) combined character though, but Kale being the "leader" and Caulifla the "subordinate" would just feel wierd after seeing their roles in the DBS story. As you said Kale's final "slim" form is different from Broly, although the problem I see there is that most of her moves that can be translated into the game were done while she was in her SSJ Berzerker state, and thus they are mostly a copy of/nod to Brolly's stuff. I guess her body-size, and higher speed, plus Califla's assist could make her different enough, but still...

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm

I forgot that Jiren could fill a big body role. He hasn't been seeming so big to me lately.

I agree I'd rather see Caulifla in the lead role. What I'd most like to see is two characters in one like Zeku in SFV.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Simere wrote:I forgot that Jiren could fill a big body role. He hasn't been seeming so big to me lately.
Well, he is not that big at all, but from what we see in the anime, he is a character who can tank heavy hits, and some of his attacks are close range ones, so could fit into the juggernaut-archetype.
But Toppo or Magetta are definitely better choices.
I agree I'd rather see Caulifla in the lead role. What I'd most like to see is two characters in one like Zeku in SFV.
Me too, the game has no multi-stance characters yet. Maybe Roshi could be a good fit, changing between his slim and buff forms.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09 am

KayDash wrote:
Simere wrote:I forgot that Jiren could fill a big body role. He hasn't been seeming so big to me lately.
Well, he is not that big at all, but from what we see in the anime, he is a character who can tank heavy hits, and some of his attacks are close range ones, so could fit into the juggernaut-archetype.
But Toppo or Magetta are definitely better choices.
Me too, the game has no multi-stance characters yet. Maybe Roshi could be a good fit, changing between his slim and buff forms.
The anime draws Jiren's height inconsistently in the early parts of the tournament to be honest, and even now sometimes.

I think if we're going to have a stance character I'd like it to be Katopesla but he's very unlikely

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 am

I like Caulifla and Kale, but I think they would look really out of place in this game stylistically just based on their body types and how they’re drawn. All of the art in the game is modeled more to look like it did in Z I think. Now that I mention it I think they would’ve looked out of place in Z as well, they don’t exactly fit the motif.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:45 am

If Kale does make it in, why do you guys keep assuming that they're gonna go for her monster form? She has a state that makes her wholly unique from the original green haired madman. And even IF they did go with "Berserker" being her main play state, quality developers know how to make aesthetically similar characters play fairly differently from each other and if you dont know that or find it hard to believe, I dare question your overall knowledge on not only the developers at hand but fighting games as a whole.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:I like Caulifla and Kale, but I think they would look really out of place in this game stylistically just based on their body types and how they’re drawn. All of the art in the game is modeled more to look like it did in Z I think. Now that I mention it I think they would’ve looked out of place in Z as well, they don’t exactly fit the motif.
Considering how amazing they looked in 114 in Takahashi’s Z-esque art style, I’d say they would fit in perfectly.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:28 pm

I have to say if it wasn't for the online part, I would already be done with this game weeks ago.

I already did everything the offline part has to offer. I cleared the story mode 6 times (each arc twice in normal and hard mode), got all the items, characters links (my favorites are Majin Buu, Goku, Ginyu and Piccolo), cleared arcade mode and did all the combo challenges in practice mode.

As far as offline trophies go. the only ones I don't have are the ones that require to acquire 5,000,000 / 20,000,000 Zeni throughout the course of playing. That's ridiculous! I barely spend any money and I don't even have 2,000,000... I wanted to get all the trophies, but with goals like that it doesn't seem likely. Unless there's an easy to get a lot of money quickly that I'm missing, I may not get those two trophies in my lifetime, because even with three "Victory Zeni Up Lv. 6” equiped in story mode that seems like it will take forever.

Instead they should have something like "Win 3 arena matches in a row" or "Clear the story mode without losing once". Something more interesting and challenging for the player.

The online is where the fun is at and I'm addicted! I'm always thinking about new combos to do with my team and practicing what I can/can't block, while waiting for the next fight.
Party Match is a good adition. I had fun with that, but I'm now more focused in ranked matches.

Currently working my way to get the trophy "World Match - Acquire 530,000 BP." It's the last online trophy I need. It's been a hard journey with mixed feelings - sometimes I get defeated like an amateur, other times I perform really well. I always search for people "stronger than me", which is forcing me to improve faster but can also leave me psychologically devastated when I met some well experienced players. I always play with everyone that matches with me and I don't care which color they have. I just want to fight.

I met some rage quitters, but they aren't relevant enough to ruin my fun. I started to have more problems after the last update though. The frame delay is often higher than before and there's some problems with the connection. Its not rage quit because it already happened in the beginning of the fight, doesn't matter who's winning. But overall, I'm having a lot of fun.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 pm

What this game's DLC could is one "WTF" character. My top candidates are Kid Goku and Chi-Chi.

Leaning towards the latter. Would make up for the shit modern Dragon Ball gave her. Feel me?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:40 am

Are online matches peer to peer or both players connect to a server? And do we know where the servers are? When you connect it has you pick a region and sub region but it doesn't give much detail, like what city.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 am

dario03 wrote:Are online matches peer to peer or both players connect to a server? And do we know where the servers are? When you connect it has you pick a region and sub region but it doesn't give much detail, like what city.
They're peer to peer; I don't think any fighting game isn't.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:36 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:If Kale does make it in, why do you guys keep assuming that they're gonna go for her monster form? She has a state that makes her wholly unique from the original green haired madman. And even IF they did go with "Berserker" being her main play state, quality developers know how to make aesthetically similar characters play fairly differently from each other and if you dont know that or find it hard to believe, I dare question your overall knowledge on not only the developers at hand but fighting games as a whole.
I guess it's sort of taken for granted that Kale would be in her Broly form because that's what she's known for. By extension, since we already have Broly, the only way to get Kale in as Kefla, or as a support for Caulifla. To be honest, if I could only pick one to get in, Caulifla would be my pick.

But at the same time, the controlled form is a good way to make her visually distinct as a separate character, plus it's her most popular look. If we have three versions of Goku, plus Bardock and most likely Vegetto, all of whom play different to one another, then you don't need to turn Caulifla and Kale into the Ice Climbers in order to squeeze Kale in with Broly. Plus, if I were a marketer for this game, the image of those two in one of the iconic FighterZ clashes would cause a priapism.

Think about it, publish that screenshot, you get the poll on Bandai Namco's Twitter "are you #TeamBroly or #TeamKale?" Set up a match between whoever the big '"Broly main" at the time is in the FGC and another good player (preferably female) with early access to practice Kale, then stream the match before the DLC comes out. You would win marketing for the week. It could be the next Super Saiyan Showdown except enjoyable to anyone, not just people who like seeing two old men play games badly.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:43 am

Just a hunch, but if Kale's gonna be in the game then she's definitely gonna be in her "Berserk form". It's just too iconic; when you think of Kale, you think of Fem!Broly.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 am

Simere wrote:
dario03 wrote:Are online matches peer to peer or both players connect to a server? And do we know where the servers are? When you connect it has you pick a region and sub region but it doesn't give much detail, like what city.
SFV sets up matches in both p2p and relay, though I believe p2p is used much more often.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:13 am

dario03 wrote:
Simere wrote:
SFV sets up matches in both p2p and relay, though I believe p2p is used much more often.
Oh, right. I remember reading about those servers they'd put you in if there were issues with establishing a P2P connection, or in the rare situations a server would actually be faster than P2P, but I never actually encountered it myself.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:37 am

DBZ Macky wrote:Just a hunch, but if Kale's gonna be in the game then she's definitely gonna be in her "Berserk form". It's just too iconic; when you think of Kale, you think of Fem!Broly.
I think of her unique true legendary form, that her shtick while Broly just has his roider screaming moron form

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am

Does anyone think that we may see Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren in FighterZ?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 am

Speaking of Kale, I believe, it would be better make her in her controlled state, and going full berserk only for lvl3 super.
majinwarman wrote:Does anyone think that we may see Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren in FighterZ?
Jiren is OK. I don't say so about Goku though. Only one more Goku that I want to see in the game is kid Goku.
In my opinion Vegeta and Goku should be like Zeku instead. Not 2 separate characters each.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 am

majinwarman wrote:Does anyone think that we may see Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren in FighterZ?
They are sequel bait.

BTW Kale shouldn't be a playable character. At most she will be assist for Caulifla who is the main fighter.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.