Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 am

Okara wrote:
Simere wrote:
Okara wrote:As a documentary on how to waste time, I give it 9/10.

As an episode of Dragon Ball, it gets a 5/10. All they were trying to do is establish the fact that Jiren is above the omen, which they already did in episode 110. We didn’t need to see all this.
They weren't trying to establish that at all. The episode wasn't about Jiren being stronger than Omen, it was about Goku's increasing mastery of the state.
Which they didn’t start getting into until the second half. The first half was them fighting equally, eventually giving the edge to Jiren. Most of this could’ve been cut. We saw all of this during their first fight and they even reused a bunch of animation from that episode and that Kefla one. Why even bother with this if the meat of it is reused animation?
But it wasn't re-used, the first half wasn't merely setting up "Goku can't beat Jiren currently", it went beyond that to say that "Goku can go beyond his current power to beat Jiren", I don't see how thats necessarily re-used from 110, which doesn't establish that Goku can't beat Jiren with Omen, but more establishes that "Goku can fight Jiren with Omen" and serves as an introduction to that level of power.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:52 am

Upon rewatch I must say, I really enjoyed all of the new, never before seen animation. Goku on the offense with UI is gonna look pretty awesome.

But I hope the next episode is NOT like this one in terms of the amount of reused animation (unfortunately there is already a reused clip of animation in the NEP). This isn't as bad as episode 124 where practically almost the whole damn episode was reused animation, but there was a bit too much for something that is supposed to be the final fight. Reused animation in small instances is fine, but not to this extent. I have some trepidation for the next episode because of this, but we'll see.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:55 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Upon rewatch I must say, I really enjoyed all of the new, never before seen animation. Goku on the offense with UI is gonna look pretty awesome.

But I hope the next episode is NOT like this one in terms of the amount of reused animation (unfortunately there is already a reused clip of animation in the NEP). This isn't as bad as episode 124 where practically almost the whole damn episode was reused animation, but there was a bit too much for something that is supposed to be the final fight. Reused animation in small instances is fine, but not to this extent. I have some trepidation for the next episode because of this, but we'll see.
I wouldn't be that upset, the thing that was re-used in the preview was merely an altered still. As long as the action is completely original, I think everyone will be more than happy with it.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:01 am

Do you guys see any possibility of episode 131 being an hour special?

Takahashi has been confirmed to be on 131

Thats very interesting and implies there will be action scenes in 131

MUI Goku vs Jiren could carry into 131 and end in 131. You have to think, if its a 30 min episode, will they still have time to wrap up everything else?

Hmmmm, could Super actually end in some kind of cliff hanger? "Until we meet again, Goku"... That would make me happy because then it would mean Super is coming back for sure

Imagine if after the ending credits to 131, we got a message "Super will return early next year"

That would be awesome

Okara

Post by Okara » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Okara wrote:
Simere wrote: They weren't trying to establish that at all. The episode wasn't about Jiren being stronger than Omen, it was about Goku's increasing mastery of the state.
Which they didn’t start getting into until the second half. The first half was them fighting equally, eventually giving the edge to Jiren. Most of this could’ve been cut. We saw all of this during their first fight and they even reused a bunch of animation from that episode and that Kefla one. Why even bother with this if the meat of it is reused animation?
But it wasn't re-used, the first half wasn't merely setting up "Goku can't beat Jiren currently", it went beyond that to say that "Goku can go beyond his current power to beat Jiren", I don't see how thats necessarily re-used from 110, which doesn't establish that Goku can't beat Jiren with Omen, but more establishes that "Goku can fight Jiren with Omen" and serves as an introduction to that level of power.
We already knew that because they showed us in the preview. It’s in the episode title. These guys can’t keep the plot hidden to save their lives. They don’t need to dedicate the first half of the episode to telling us Goku is about to do what they outright told us will happen; most of it was just reused animation. The first ten minutes all could’ve taken place in a minute or two. The second half spent WAY too much time on the scene with Goku get pummeled and struggling to overcome it. This also could’ve been cut down (seriously, it’s almost like Toei was taking a shot at themselves by having Beerus tell Krillin to shut the fuck up. But I highly doubt they’re even aware of how bad it is).

I guarantee you 2/3 of the first half of next episode will be spent talking about how “awesome” mastered Ultra Instinct is and telling us stuff we can plainly see, as if the show is marketed towards blind people. That should’ve been in the second half of this episode.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 am

One particular re-used animation that looks very stupid and laughable, is Whis describing Goku's movements, mental state and how fast he is. When it is exactly the Super Saiyan Blue animation in the opening and it was used before in the Special as well. lmao Except his eyes was closed.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:17 am

thegamer23 wrote:This episode was stunning, I couldn't care less about re-used animations when they are used that good. :crazy:
Today's battle had an epic sense of scale, you could feel that it's a battle between two Monsters.
Loved all the explosions & massive effects

Last 5 minutes were perfection, but the real Mastered Ultra Instinct debut is going to be #130.

Next episode is set to be THE episode, I expect super hard blows, similar to Goku Vs Frieza's final fight in Namek.
100%

Great post

From the begining, I hoped that Goku vs Jiren 1 v 1 would be our modern day all time classic version of Goku vs Frieza on Namek....and I couldnt be happier: ) Toriyama/Toei did it again. In fact maybe have even surpassed it. Episode 130 is looking even more amazing, which is hard to believe considering how utterly amazing episode 129 was.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 am

thegamer23 wrote:This episode was stunning, I couldn't care less about re-used animations when they are used that good. :crazy:
My thoughts exactly

W-Wait a minute...

DbzRyan24

Post by DbzRyan24 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:37 am

Enjoyed the second half of the episode much more than the first. I just feel the fighting lacked some inpact. Crazy to think there is only two episodes left. It’s hard to think what would top UI if a new series returned but I suppose that’s said after each transformation.. still a lot more lore to explore! Good episode though. 8.5/10

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:40 am

The re-used animation was very obvious. Nonetheless, enjoyed the episode a lot and hyped for EP130.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

DbzRyan24

Post by DbzRyan24 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 am

DBZ Macky wrote:The re-used animation was very obvious. Nonetheless, enjoyed the episode a lot and hyped for EP130.
The re-used animation makes me worry that the finale might be amazing.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:50 am

Seriously, we need to talk more about how alpha MUI Goku was

When mastered UI Goku re-appeared behind Jiren with Jiren's energy ball condensed into his hands, and MUI Goku just flicks it away like its a spec of dust.....HOLY CRAP.....one of the most alpha scenes in all of Dragom Ball history

MUI Goku is so badass. Incredible episode.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 am

Okara wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Okara wrote: Which they didn’t start getting into until the second half. The first half was them fighting equally, eventually giving the edge to Jiren. Most of this could’ve been cut. We saw all of this during their first fight and they even reused a bunch of animation from that episode and that Kefla one. Why even bother with this if the meat of it is reused animation?
We already knew that because they showed us in the preview. It’s in the episode title. These guys can’t keep the plot hidden to save their lives. They don’t need to dedicate the first half of the episode to telling us Goku is about to do what they outright told us will happen; most of it was just reused animation. The first ten minutes all could’ve taken place in a minute or two. The second half spent WAY too much time on the scene with Goku get pummeled and struggling to overcome it. This also could’ve been cut down (seriously, it’s almost like Toei was taking a shot at themselves by having Beerus tell Krillin to shut the fuck up. But I highly doubt they’re even aware of how bad it is).

I guarantee you 2/3 of the first half of next episode will be spent talking about how “awesome” mastered Ultra Instinct is and telling us stuff we can plainly see, as if the show is marketed towards blind people. That should’ve been in the second half of this episode.
Just because its been shown in the title and preview doesn't mean it doesn't need to be shown. Thats like saying you didn't need to see the defeat Freeza in the Namek arc because it said so in the preview and episode title. Its still stuff that needs to be visually communicated and demonstrated to the audience, and taking time with that sort of thing is important in order to really sell that idea to the audience. We didn't get instantly told that Freeza was losing steam and becoming more and more outmatched by Goku as the fight progressed, we were visually shown it.
The only real negative about your first point that I definitely agree with you with is that there was too much re-used animation, that really diminshed the scale of a fantastic storyboard and distracted from the fight instead of engaging us in it.
The scene of Goku getting pummelled was given that much time for a good reason, and that was visually show Goku mastering the offensive aspect of UI, and considering how that weakness of the form was played up, devoting a decent amount of time to Goku learning that aspect of the form was essential progression for the character. Its also a scene that allows the severity of the situation to sink in. Rushing over essential scenes like that would only harm the plot, and in my opinion it didn't overstay its welcome like the spirit bomb in 109 and 110 did.

Though I would prefer if they cut out that dialogue to focus on the scale of the fight as well as the fighters themselves, this is Dragonball, characters have always played up awesome other characters are when they reach a new plateau of strength. It comes with the genre.

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 am

Goku Blanco, the meme come to life.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:29 am

I like this comment. Pretty funny

"Zeno truly is evil, erasing the other Universes before they could see the final fight is a dick move"

lol

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Seriously, we need to talk more about how alpha MUI Goku was

When mastered UI Goku re-appeared behind Jiren with Jiren's energy ball condensed into his hands, and MUI Goku just flicks it away like its a spec of dust.....HOLY CRAP.....one of the most alpha scenes in all of Dragom Ball history

MUI Goku is so badass. Incredible episode.
Reminds me of GT when Goku in the English version says Baby's punches tickle like a tiny feather.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:52 am

I love these comments

"All the GoDs standing in respect to Goku, this has to be the craziest fucking shit I have seen in very long time"

"It kinda brings me back to how everyone was witness to the Goku vs Kid Buu battle. In fact, that's exactly how this is"

"I was really sad today but seeing Goku turn into a celestial being has brightened my mood. Truly one of the greatest episodes of all time. I'm honored to have witness Goku's progress throughout my life.

Dragon Ball is the best anime ever created."

"That was so amazing. I love the symbolism at the end, with Jiren pouring massive downward pressure on Goku, and Goku rising up against it.

It's like the show's way of saying, to never crack and fall under pressure. Always stand your ground, no matter what, and go above and beyond to achieve your dreams."

"""The GoDs standing up when Goku was mastering Ultra Instinct was bone-chilling. Whis and Beerus' exchange was so simple yet so damn powerful.

"Whis."
"Yes?"
"He's finally reached it, hasn't he?"
"Yes."

That ONE SMALL back and forth, was just awesome."""

"My face hurts from the smile and girlish giggles I've had for the past 30 minutes.

I am so gay for Goku."

"Oh man, what an episode. Vegeta's pep talk, trash talking Belmod, Goku going all Reverse Flash with his hands, Beerus telling everyone to shut up and watch, Jiren smiling. Unbelievable."

"The mirroring of Goku giving Jiren a beatdown out of nothing, like when Jiren did it with his eyes against SSB KK x 20 Goku all those months ago. God Damn"
"It's episodes like these that make me SO upset that DBS is ending. Next episode looks lit AF - the battle of the topless fighters!"

"JIREN SHIRTLESS VS UI GOKU SHIRTLESS!!!!!!! IT'LL BE EPIC!!!!!!!"

"I still hope MUI Goku will shitfuck Jiren in the next episode lmfao."

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 am

Goku's shadowed UI we only see for a second looks way better than the actual thing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 am

I pity the fools who didnt like this episode. Because i have seen the full episode about 6 times already and its mindblowing.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:14 am

I LOVED this episode.

Sure, there was reused animation, but honestly I didn't mind it much. Everything looked crisp and flowed well.

Ironically enough, it was the buildup to the Complete Ultra Instinct that sold this episode for me. Everyone was in character and reacting appropriately, and you knew that everyone's dialogue was geared toward hyping up the form's appearance.