Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

This quote really nails it (and my personal feelings)

"OH MAN!!!!!
When Goku mastered Ultra Instinct I was legit happy as a 8 years old me! That was so intense!!! All the GoDs respected goku by standing the moment they saw the mastered ultra instinct, that was so epic to see. Vegeta trusting in Goku, KNOWING he will master Ultra Instinct in the current fight, I had goosebumps the most in this very moment. I am rating this episode for my self 11/10. I LOVED every single second of the episode. Every moment of it was full of excitement for me and I was for 23 minutes long with goosebumps. Best episode up to date!"

I don't care what anyone says. Episode 129 was amazimg. Episode 129 is my all time favorite episode in Super - and easily one of my all time favorite episodes ever in Dragon Ball history. Long live the legendary Son Goku. The greatest character in anime history without doubt. Still so hyped. I've already rewatched episode 129 a few times now. Its still so epic every single time. I freaking love Goku. We are witnessing the rise of the legend of Son Goku!

This is only the beginning. When Super comes back, expect new universes explored. New threats revealed. Enemies with UI themselfes. But Goku will always find a way to overcome the odds: ) He's Son Goku afterall
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 am

That was honestly a lot of flash without substance as the fights themselves really had not much going on with them and I'm not sure why they have to cut to Zeno or the crowd so much, like I don't mind some chatter among the onlookers, but the abundance of it takes away from the action.

I really hope the next episode has decent action like episode 122.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:59 am

So Goku can just create entire galaxies out of nowhere, huh? Nice, why do we even need Supreme Kais now when a lowly mortal can create galaxies in an instant.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:So Goku can just create entire galaxies out of nowhere, huh? Nice, why do we even need Supreme Kais now when a lowly mortal can create galaxies in an instant.
That's only when he powers up, though. He can't be fighting all the time, you know :lol:

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:06 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:So Goku can just create entire galaxies out of nowhere, huh? Nice, why do we even need Supreme Kais now when a lowly mortal can create galaxies in an instant.
That part was so badass and really sold the scale and awesome sauce of Goku's power up explosion/mastered UI transformation. Loved that part too

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:18 am

Am I the only one who laughed at Vegeta & Belmoud conversation? Sure I liked Vegeta's lines but the whole conversation itself and how it started seemed like a desperate "foreshadowing" attempt to MUI Goku in a stupid way. Like whoah I didn't see that coming what a twist/

idk it's probably just me lol

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:20 am

As someone already mentioned earlier, the negativity surrounding this ep helped lower my expectations somewhat, so it ended up being a bit better than I thought it would be. Just nothing jaw-dropping, sadly. The final minutes were good, but everything leading up to that was 'meh'-ish IMO.

Now that I watched the new form in action I still think UI Sign looks better than the perfected version. Though that moment Goku was completely enveloped in white light was cool.

Here's to hoping 130 does way better than this one.....

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:21 am

OverHeaven wrote:Am I the only one who laughed at Vegeta & Belmoud conversation? Sure I liked Vegeta's lines but the whole conversation itself and how it started seemed like a desperate "foreshadowing" attempt to MUI Goku in a stupid way. Like whoah I didn't see that coming what a twist/

It felt really weird to me as well to be honest. Like way too generic anime foreshadowing which kinda came across to me as trying to pad out the episode and it sucked cause it took a lot of time away from the action.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 am

Kokonoe wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:Am I the only one who laughed at Vegeta & Belmoud conversation? Sure I liked Vegeta's lines but the whole conversation itself and how it started seemed like a desperate "foreshadowing" attempt to MUI Goku in a stupid way. Like whoah I didn't see that coming what a twist/

It felt really weird to me as well to be honest. Like way too generic anime foreshadowing which kinda came across to me as trying to pad out the episode and it sucked cause it took a lot of time away from the action.
If it doesn't get better by 131 I'm quitting Dragon Ball Super for good!

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 am

I don't know how to feel about this episode.

The Bad :
• The first half was extremely underwhelming animation-wise. I appreciate the intent with all those smears but it was executed very poorly.
• Reusing Goku's Kamehameha from back in 116 in it's entirety a and every single Goku vs Jiren scene in the opening was absolutely outrageous. I'm so dissapointed. Keep in mind that there are only 2 episodes left before Super ends.
• The pacing was a bit off to me. It felt too quick at times and at others too slow.

The Good :
• The last quarter of the episode was simply amazing, it got me pumped up despite the aforementioned dissapointing action scenes. Perfected UI's reveal in particular was executed wonderfully, I will definitely rewatch that scene for many years to come.
• The dialogue was so well done, Props to Atushiro Tomioka for the wonderful dialogue from Beerus, Vegeta and many others. My only gripe is that Toppo talks way to much for me, let the other Pride Troopers talk a bit.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:44 am

Michsi wrote:As someone already mentioned earlier, the negativity surrounding this ep helped lower my expectations somewhat, so it ended up being a bit better than I thought it would be. Just nothing jaw-dropping, sadly. The final minutes were good, but everything leading up to that was 'meh'-ish IMO.

Now that I watched the new form in action I still think UI Sign looks better than the perfected version. Though that moment Goku was completely enveloped in white light was cool.

This episode was jaw dropping. Anyway, i know sign is said to be another translation, but most canon sources call it Omen. Omen sounds better IMO

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 am

Michsi wrote:As someone already mentioned earlier, the negativity surrounding this ep helped lower my expectations somewhat, so it ended up being a bit better than I thought it would be. Just nothing jaw-dropping, sadly. The final minutes were good, but everything leading up to that was 'meh'-ish IMO.

ps what negativity are you talking about? The consensus is overwhelmingly positive for this episode.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:48 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:

ps what negativity are you talking about? The consensus is overwhelmingly positive for this episode.
Just edit your post instead of double and triple posting. It's fairly simple to do.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 am

Here was my interesting take on it.

Metaphorically Belmon and U11 were representing the minority of people who complained about Goku mastering UI "too quickly," and Vegeta was the writers shutting them down, and explaining why it actually made perfect sense.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:59 am

This episode was jaw dropping. Anyway, i know sign is said to be another translation, but most canon sources call it Omen. Omen sounds better IMO
For you maybe. My jaw remained firmly in place while I watched this. Could be that after watching the animation of B: The beginning it just looked worse by comparison.
I know it not a fair compassion, but you'd think they'd amp up their game for the final three episodes.
The one I happen to come across before I started watching. This thread alone shows there's no overwhelming enthusiasm surrounding this episode.
Kokonoe wrote:

This was another issue - so much sideline commenting. I mean, it usually has this, but it was really bothersome this time. Vegeta's/Belmond interaction was actually better than all the other throw-away lines they used as padding.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 am

Extreme_kai wrote: The character moments for me were really what kept the episode afloat, it's just a shame they had to be forced into a final battle that will only span possibly less than 2 whole episodes. I think the show could have afforded to rush it's pacing and have worked out better for it. I have no clue what the showrunners have in store for the finale if they feel so comfortable moving the plot along at a snail's pace.

As an amateur animator, I do understand the necessity of reusing animation, I'm guilty of it myself. My problem was mainly that one punch dodge scene between Jiren and Goku (that I believe is an episode exclusive). While beautifully animated and illustrated it just kept getting shoved into our face during Whis commentary. First it was the normal sequence, then zoomed in, and eventually, Goku had his eyes closed. I personally don't have a problem with their aura's but I could see them becoming a strain on the eyes after awhile. I actually love the UI Aura, in particular, it gave Goku a very ethereal /angelic vibe it almost lowkey had me on the Goku is an angel train for a second.
I agree. The interactions with Beerus and the Peanut Gallery along with Vegeta talking down to Belmod were what kept my interest more than the action. And yeah I'm not a fan of these flashy effects. In DBZ, the characters didn't always fight with their auras but in Super, it seems to be used heavily. I assume it may be to put less work into the character art and have the flashy aura mask the mistakes made.
Extreme_kai wrote:
I hear ya. For me, it personally depends on what type of animating I'm doing and how many animators are helping me. I'm currently doing a long-running series alone releasing every 2-3 months (20 eps so far).I do script writing, animation, I voice act a character on top of managing other voice actors. I tried for a while to avoid reusing stuff but the workload got too intense for me. So for the sake of my sanity, I do reuse things like walk cycles etc often. If I was doing something like a short movie I probably wouldn't cause I'd have more time to work on it.
Mind me asking what your series? I've become interested in most fan works as opposed to broadcasted shows. They seem like such cash-grabs but fan works seem to have more thought put into it.
Your work sounds daunting since you do so much for one episode. I don't think reusing animation is terrible, but it has to be done right. This episode reused it poorly.

A great example is episode 118 where they reused scenes of Saonel and Pirina vs. Gohan and Piccolo from fights from the past episodes to make the fight last longer. They didn't reuse that many scenes, but nonetheless it flowed well with the other scenes. In episode 129 it did not feel that way. Everything felt like a mess.

ZenkaiBoosts wrote: -You can list all the cons you want for this episode, it was a great episode. The cons do not out weigh the pros IMO. When somebody rates this episode a 5 or 6 out of 10, I'm sorry, I just cant take that rating seriously
-Really, an episode like tonight failed? 50% out of 100% is an F when graded (or close to it) Theres no way tonights episode was an F or any where close to it
-I truly dont know what is going on. I have to agree with the others in this thread who said that some people are way too negative and only look to shit on Super no matter what. Are they even real fans of Dragon Ball? Because tonight is exactly what you wouldve expected from classic DBZ
-If youre a fan of Dragon Ball then you know how things work and what its about... I mean, if you genuinely believe episode 129 was bad, then Dragon Ball simply isnt for you. No one is forcing you to watch.
-Anyway, todays generation got to witness something truly special tonight. It was like us when we first saw Goku go SS. They got to see Goku go MUI for the first time. It will be historic. They will grow up and cherish the first time they saw Goku go MUI, like those who saw SS for the first time.
-I really dont get it btw. Is it cynicism? Is it impossible high standards? Is it fans of other animes? Will an episode ever be universally loved on this site? Not even universally loved, but just at least acknowledged as good, and not nitpicked to death, called terrible, given 5 and 6 ratings etc?
-I'm curious, if you are shitting on this episode, just to gain some much needed perspective, what animes do you like, and what episodes were great?
-As per usual, every where else on the internet this episode is being loved and adored (on reset, reddit, twiiter, youtube). Many many people on those sites and across all social media are calling tonight (129) one of the best episodes in all of Dragon Ball. I agree whole heartedly with the majority on this episode. Lets go Son Goku baby!!!!! So hyped
I'm not gonna lie, you come across as such a fanboy for Dragon Ball Super. Not that it's wrong of you to be a fanboy, since most of us are, but I'm starting to feel like it's blinding you from it's problems. You're acting like everyone who doesn't agree with you is completely wrong and is therefore not a "true" fan. This episode, and nearly every episode before it, has mistakes. Not every mistake will cause problems, but to the degree where half of the episode is bank animation and irrelevant dialogue from the Peanut Gallery (barring Vegeta's speech and Whis' commentary) will definitely cause some fans to be upset with the episode.

We are not cynical because Super reused animation, we are frustrated with how they keep padding things out and keep reusing the same formula per episode. (Goku fights, doesn't seem to be doing so well, transforms to UI last 2 minutes.)
I will agree that it may be high standards for us. DBZ in the Buu Arc had such beautiful and spectacular animation that was consistent in almost every episode. However, in DBS, we rarely get that same feeling because most episodes feel lackluster compared to the other. A great example is Episode 122 where everyone was blown away by Takahashi's artwork, but then the next episodes were definitely not as great as it's predecessor up until Episode 125 with GoD Toppo. Then Episode 126 took away whatever hype most of us had for Dragon Ball Super as a whole.

You can't say i'm not a fan of Dragon Ball because I dislike a couple episodes. I loved many episodes of the Tournament of Power from the beginning to the middle of the arc (Such as 97, 98, 99, 102, 107, 112, 114, 116, 117, 118, etc.), but towards the end, with episodes such as 126, 128 and 129 being incredible drags, I am just losing so much interest in this show along with being frustrated at how it could've been so much better than it turned out to be.

I don't remember who said this, but it was such a great comment that represents why we dislike Super sometimes compared to other people and how it affects the show. It was somewhere along the lines of "Fans of Dragon Ball that find Super overly amazing, even when many mistakes and inconsistencies are made, are allowing Toei to keep giving such unsatisfying episodes due to the fact that they know fans will love any Dragon Ball content that comes out, no matter how monotonous it may be."

People are allowed to enjoy an episode, but don't be so ignorant to it's mistakes. It's not about being pessimistic about Dragon Ball Super, it's about having a pragmatic approach to the inconsistencies found all over the episode along with acknowledging great moments within the episode and critiquing them. It's all about whether the pros outweighing the cons like you've stated. For Dragon Ball Super, it seems to commonly be the negatives outweighing the positives.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:09 am

I honestly couldn’t care less about reused animation. The moments it needed to step up, it was well executed. Great and genuine character interactions all the way. The main moment felt powerful visually, I just wanted they have put “break the limit”-track when Goku was midway the completion of Goku’i.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:18 am

You know, I kinda wished that Goku would retain that silvery-white all-encompassing aura around him that covers him completely and obscures his body when he initially attains the Complete Ultra Instinct.

It looks SO DAMN COOL.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am

Michsi wrote:
For you maybe. My jaw remained firmly in place while I watched this. Could be that after watching the animation of B: The beginning it just looked worse by comparison.
I know it not a fair compassion, but you'd think they'd amp up their game for the final three episodes.
The one I happen to come across before I started watching. This thread alone shows there's no overwhelming enthusiasm surrounding this episode.
Kokonoe wrote:

This was another issue - so much sideline commenting. I mean, it usually has this, but it was really bothersome this time. Vegeta's/Belmond interaction was actually better than all the other throw-away lines they used as padding.
I know for me. That's why I said it. Many others felt the same way too. How many differing opinions have you read exactly? Or were you only focusing on the negative ones? Thats easy to do. It's just weird how we as humans will notice the nagtivity more I guess. Its better to be a positive person. I try! Let's not pretend this episode has been received poorly because that's far from the truth. Yeah, some on this forum have been mixed. There is a legit gripe about re-using animation but that doesn't take away all the positives nor outweigh them (not even close to it). And more have been positive too. Have you read the entire thread? I'd say its 70/30 in favor of episode 129 (or 65/35/). Consensus across social media and other web sites has been overwhelming positive for this episode especially

That wasn't an issue for me. I loved all the sideline commentating. It added a lot, like Vegeta's speech, Whis's monolog, Beerus's takes on Goku etc.

Take those parts out and you lose something

Some people in this thread said they didn't like the sideline commentating, yet other people complained that there was too much fighting lol. So that just goes to show you lol.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:31 am

An alright episode.

The fight was pretty boring beside the few minutes in the end.

However i really liked the writing and all of the character interactions in this episode.
My English is poor .