Kameha-con 2018!!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Kameha-con 2018!!

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:10 am

Hey guys, listen...

After this whole situation, I'm sure a lot of us have turned a little sour at Schemmel. But, ultimately, it looks like everyone directly involoved with this wants to put it behind them; Peter Kelamis and Geekdom101 are both saying we should just move past it, Peter even said before this was resolved that people should be civil, and that the name calling has got ugly; and after the fact, he's now expressing a lot of respect and kindness in Schemmel's direction, and Schemmel himself has even said some positive words about Kelamis's presence at the con now.

Ultimately, we don't know what went on here, it could have been a simple misunderstanding; perhaps Kelamis and Schemmel had an unfortunate encounter or something years ago, Kelamis had no recollection, and they've now reconciled. I doubt this is what happened, but we can't and don't know for sure. And really, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the situation has been resolved, both of these fan-favourite voices of Goku are attending the con, and those who are attending should just be happy for that, and enjoy it. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:24 am

Robo4900 wrote:Hey guys, listen...

After this whole situation, I'm sure a lot of us have turned a little sour at Schemmel. But, ultimately, it looks like everyone directly involoved with this wants to put it behind them; Peter Kelamis and Geekdom101 are both saying we should just move past it, Peter even said before this was resolved that people should be civil, and that the name calling has got ugly; and after the fact, he's now expressing a lot of respect and kindness in Schemmel's direction, and Schemmel himself has even said some positive words about Kelamis's presence at the con now.

Ultimately, we don't know what went on here, it could have been a simple misunderstanding; perhaps Kelamis and Schemmel had an unfortunate encounter or something years ago, Kelamis had no recollection, and they've now reconciled. I doubt this is what happened, but we can't and don't know for sure. And really, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the situation has been resolved, both of these fan-favourite voices of Goku are attending the con, and those who are attending should just be happy for that, and enjoy it. :)
Bravo Robo4900. Well said.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Great that Kelamis is back in.

It seems to me that everybody involved is on damage control right now, including Kelamis - which is most likely a stipulated requirement of whatever new agreement was made to get him back in. It's been hilarious to see this all unfold and I look forward to seeing if these two (Peter and Sean) will be on a panel together. I'm sure they'll both be on their best behavior for the event, although I suspect there'll probably always be some lingering tension between the two for whatever reason.
ABED wrote:You have incomplete information and it seems like it's what you want to be true.
It seems that you might be the one with incomplete info that wants to believe Schemmel was innocent in all this.

The evidence so far has been pretty damning and this sort of behaviour from him goes back for years. That being said, I think this event has finally put a stop to all that, in the age of social media they're all going to have to play nice with each other from now on, whether they like it or not.

https://twitter.com/PeterKelamis/status ... 0933054464
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfNitro/status ... 4373793793
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfNitro/status ... 3646022657
https://twitter.com/IanJames007/status/ ... 6931913728

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Is it really Sean? I mean, he said himself that he can't get people banned, so isn't that a no?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

NitroEX wrote:Great that Kelamis is back in.

It seems to me that everybody involved is on damage control right now, including Kelamis - which is most likely a stipulated requirement of whatever new agreement was made to get him back in. It's been hilarious to see this all unfold and I look forward to seeing if these two (Peter and Sean) will be on a panel together. I'm sure they'll both be on their best behavior for the event, although I suspect there'll probably always be some lingering tension between the two for whatever reason.
ABED wrote:You have incomplete information and it seems like it's what you want to be true.
It seems that you might be the one with incomplete info that wants to believe Schemmel was innocent in all this.

The evidence so far has been pretty damning and this sort of behaviour from him goes back for years. That being said, I think this event has finally put a stop to all that, in the age of social media they're all going to have to play nice with each other from now on, whether they like it or not.

We're all the ones with incomplete information. This isn't a court of law and I don't see what you are looking to get from all this. You don't know the complete story, none of us do. It's pure conjecture. Social media posts aren't evidence, especially not twitter.

And oh my god, someone actually considers MasakoX as another Goku. I know that's not on topic but that does bug me.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Those are GREAT!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm really glad for fans that Peter Kelamis will be in attendance,he was my first Goku and I'm sure he was for a lot of you guys too.

It's a shame it is muddied somewhat by this whole drama thing, and I know it's not confirmed to be Schemmel's doing (although I think most have made their minds up), but the way he responded to the situation just made me think even less of him.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

ABED wrote:

We're all the ones with incomplete information. This isn't a court of law and I don't see what you are looking to get from all this. You don't know the complete story, none of us do. It's pure conjecture. Social media posts aren't evidence, especially not twitter.

And oh my god, someone actually considers MasakoX as another Goku. I know that's not on topic but that does bug me.
What you personally consider what is and is not evidence is entirely subjective and irreverent. Its not that hard to put two and two together. Schemmel has a long history of acting like a dick to fans and even other voice actors, just look at the AMA after the Saiyan Showdown from last month or that time he chastised Marrow for doing a con over here in North America, or as he called it "his terf". I don't know why you are trying to so hard to deny even the possibility that it could be, even though the writing is pretty clear on the wall. If you want to play it safe and remain neutral that's your prerogative, but don't just try to swept it under the rug and dismiss it from others.

And yes, regardless of how you feel about Lawrence or TFS, there's no denying the impact it has had on the franchise, whether that be attracting new fans or bringing old fans back into the community; again entirely subjective and irreverent. Many people today would consider him to be a voice for Goku just like some consider Blum being a voice even through it was only one time back in the late 90's for a shitty video game.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

there's no denying the impact it has had on the franchise,
None. He had NONE. This isn't a denial just a simple statement of fact. People on the net overestimate their influence. It bugs me to no one that people keep making some fandub to be a bigger deal than it really is. It's a niche within a niche. At least Blum was an official voice actor for the role.
I don't know why you are trying to so hard to deny even the possibility that it could be, even though the writing is pretty clear on the wall. If you want to play it safe and remain neutral that's your prerogative, but don't just try to swept it under the rug and dismiss it from others.
The question is why you give a crap. If you don't have all the facts and the actors this directly affects can get past it, why do you care at all?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 pm

ABED wrote:
None. He had NONE. This isn't a denial just a simple statement of fact. People on the net overestimate their influence. It bugs me to no one that people keep making some fandub to be a bigger deal than it really is. It's a niche within a niche. At least Blum was an official voice actor for the role.

Even if we allow that its had an impact on English speaking fandom, English speaking DB fandom is hardly the entirety nor the be-all-end-all of DB fandom worldwide. All the more so considering its root source isn't English speaking to begin with. Even with the most charitable view of TFS' "impact", I HIGHLY doubt its had very much of any influence in non-English territories, including Japan.

Its not just that people over-inflate TFS: the bigger issue that ties into that is that people over-inflate the English language end of Dragon Ball in general period.

This seems like its part of a fairly long history now of dub-centric U.S. fans specifically wanting to "claim" DB away from its Japanese roots, as if because it got so big on CN through such a radically altered dub back at the turn of the millennium, it somehow "belongs to us now" or some such nonsense.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Hey guys, listen...

You are right Robo4900. I just want to be happy about the news and just roll with it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:42 pm

It's not impossible that Funimation may one day officially license TFS's material.
It could simply be marketed as a redub of DBZ... Toei may not have that big of an issue with it..
Last edited by Ozotto on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Ozotto wrote:It's not impossible that Funimation may one day officially license TFS's material.
If they want lawsuits out the ass by Toei they would maybe, but otherwise not in a million years.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ozotto wrote:It's not impossible that Funimation may one day officially license TFS's material.
If they want lawsuits out the ass by Toei they would maybe, but otherwise not in a million years.
Funimation got permission to dub DBZ into English.

Is that far of a stretch that they couldn't just get permission to make another dub... they would just need to cut a deal with TFS

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:48 pm

ABED wrote:
Don't be foolish. Even if you ignore his TFS work, he has over 285k subscribers to his YouTube channel, on which he does many discussion videos, including a variety of what-if scenarios, one of which he's looking to turn into an ongoing fan-made audio drama due to the immense popularity.
And that's just the side-project of one guy who does voices for TFS.

Y'know how many views TFS's last episode got? 7.4 MILLION views. And that's only just over half of episode 1's 13 million. Saying that a video series that popular isn't having any influence on the franchise is just foolish; it would be even more foolish than saying "Over 9000" has had no influence whatsoever, or all the Dragon Ball fandom icons like Geekdom101, AnimeAjay, VegettoEX, and many Kanzenshuu crew I forget the names of.
Ozotto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

Is that far of a stretch that they couldn't just get permission to make another dub... they would just need to cut a deal with TFS
Not gonna happen. Toei hate TFS, and they would never let anything TFS-adjacent get into official Dragon Ball merchandising if they can do anything about it. Remember what happened to the Cell Games re-enactment in Boo Kai?

If Funi tried this, and Toei got wind of it, it would be shut down instantly.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Ozotto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

That stretch of logic makes no sense on multiple levels. Adding the TFS dub to DVDs is illegal. Completely different with actually licensing a show. And they won't have to cut a deal with TFS. They'd have to go to Toei, and considering Toeis past record with TFS that will never happen. People have to accept that.

But thats off topic so let's move on.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Ozotto wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

That stretch of logic makes no sense on multiple levels. Adding the TFS dub to DVDs is illegal. Completely different with actually licensing a show. And they won't have to cut a deal with TFS. They'd have to go to Toei, and considering Toeis past record with TFS that will never happen. People have to accept that.

But thats off topic so let's move on.
It's only illegal... if it's not officially licensed...
Let's say tomorrow Funimation went to Toei and said "hey we wanna redub or do another dub of DBZ" and Toei was like okay sure.
Funimation went to TFS and hired them to record basically the same stuff but done "officially".
It might be silly, but couldn't you just say it's creative freedom and making it more palatable for a modern western audience?
This doesn't seem impossible.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:10 pm

ABED wrote:
I don't know why you are trying to so hard to deny even the possibility that it could be, even though the writing is pretty clear on the wall. If you want to play it safe and remain neutral that's your prerogative, but don't just try to swept it under the rug and dismiss it from others.
The question is why you give a crap. If you don't have all the facts and the actors this directly affects can get past it, why do you care at all?
Because I don't care for people who act like bullies to get their way, especially for someone who thinks that their sub-par acting ability is the only version that should be recognize for a certain language. If it happened before it can happen again, and it has and it will most likely happen again. That's why I care. Did you have to burn yourself with fire before you had 100% of the evidence that it was hot too? Because you couldn't infer from just the heat alone? Either you don't know how to read between the lines or you just refuse to and judging from most of your responses in this thread it seems to be the latter.

I guess Funi and Bandai just let them do voice work in one of their recent DB games just on a whim then huh? Definitely wasn't due to the millions of views their videos get or the attention they bring to the series over here in this country. Yeah you're right, NONE whatsoever.

For the record, I personally don't consider him one, but I don't care if others do.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

You keep thinking he has this sort of power. He doesn't. Nor do I have a dog in this fight. Whether he is or isn't a bully doesn't affect my view of his performance.
Because you couldn't infer from just the heat alone?
Bad analogy. I have direct experience with the heat, even if I don't touch the flame.
the attention they bring to the series over here in this country.
They don't bring attention to the series! It's ridiculous to think that those views aren't overwhelmingly from people that are already fans of the show. Did you write millions? God dammit, now I'm sad. They might be popular, but what actual influence do they have on the series?
it would be even more foolish than saying "Over 9000" has had no influence whatsoever
It did not. I'm tired of people taking credit for the meme that they shouldn't be. It's over 9000 was popular amongst the fandom well before the aughts. And I like this site, but Kanzenshuu's effect on the overall popularity of the franchise is relatively minor

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:01 pm

ABED wrote:They don't bring attention to the series! It's ridiculous to think that those views aren't overwhelmingly from people that are already fans of the show. Did you write millions? God dammit, now I'm sad. They might be popular, but what actual influence do they have on the series?
You're referring to Funimation, right?
One only need look at the TV ratings to see Funimation bring in a big audience. If literally your only metric for something having impact is that it brings in viewers who weren't already watching, then none of the Japanese side, video games, or anything else has had any significant impact since about 1994 in Japan, or about 2002 in the English-speaking world.
ABED wrote:
it would be even more foolish than saying "Over 9000" has had no influence whatsoever
It did not. I'm tired of people taking credit for the meme that they shouldn't be. It's over 9000 was popular amongst the fandom well before the aughts. And I like this site, but Kanzenshuu's effect on the overall popularity of the franchise is relatively minor
I'm not saying TFS invented "Over 9000", man. I'm just saying, TFS bring in over 7 million views per episode, so saying they've had absolutely no impact on the franchise whatsoever is rather foolish. Most episodes of series 10 of Doctor Who pulled in less than 6 million viewers in the ratings; are you now going to tell me that most of Doctor Who's 10th series didn't have any influence on the Doctor Who franchise?

And, I've gotta say, "effect on the overall popularity of the franchise" is probably one of the worst metrics to measure influence there is. If you're juding something's influence purely on how it directly affected the popularity of the franchise, then as I say, in Japan, nothing since about 1994, and in the English speaking world, nothing since about 2002, will have had any influence at all.

Just face it, man: Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't important to other people. And that's okay. No one has to like anything; look at me, I hate Super with a passion. Yet you don't see me saying it has no importance to the franchise as a whole. That would be supremely naive.