Who is the TRUE hero of Dragonball?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Who is the TRUE hero of Dragonball?

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:22 am

This may be surprising but Bulma is the true hero of Dragonball and also by extension Future Trunks.

If it weren't for them, they all would have died in the original timeline

Vegeta can still be considered a reluctant anti hero who only fights for his family and himself.
Goku is more of an accidental hero, but still a hero nonetheless no matter how questionable his actions sometimes are.

So there you have it, the true heroes of Dragonball are Bulma and Future Trunks.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Who is the TRUE hero of Dragonball?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am

If you want to use causation for events as criteria then Freeza is the true hero.

Then if you want to continue to use causation it's his parents. Their parents. So forth.

You're using an argument of infinite regression. For example if Goku doesn't save Earth/Namek from Freeza there is no Future Trunks.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:46 am

Well, technically, the Supreme Kais are the true heroes of Dragon Ball; because without them there would be no life at all, which means no Saiyans, which means no Goku, Vegeta and Trunks.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:If you want to use causation for events as criteria then Freeza is the true hero.

Then if you want to continue to use causation it's his parents. Their parents. So forth.

You're using an argument of infinite regression. For example if Goku doesn't save Earth/Namek from Freeza there is no Future Trunks.

If you want to look at it that way then yeah, without Freeza destroying the Saiyan race Vegeta and Goku would have never ended up on earth, Vegeta would be King instead and Goku would have become some third class soldier under Vegeta's rule.

Freeza is the 'unwilling" hero of Dragonball.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Oh wait, didn't Lord Beerus ordered freeza to destroy the saiyan race ? :crazy:

Correction: Lord Beerus is the true hero of Dragonball. :wtf:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 pm

SsjCookie wrote:Oh wait, didn't Lord Beerus ordered freeza to destroy the saiyan race ? :crazy:

Correction: Lord Beerus is the true hero of Dragonball. :wtf:
But that was only after going there to be "entertained" (fed by) King Vegeta. Thus making his line the true heroes.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Whoever created universe 7.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:37 pm

I'd say Mr. Satan
He's nothing compared to...everyone else, but in some way he always tried to do something brave, even if could be annhilated in an eyeblink

If was not for him, we'd have no more Vegeta now, he'd be dead during Buu battle

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:40 pm

By causation logic, Akira Toriyama is the true hero haha.

Well, there are many characters that can be considered the true heros, depending the situation, but i too like to see Bulma and Future Trunks as ultimate heroes for the Z Fighters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Bardock - Hadn't he decided to send Goku to Earth, well... They would all be doomed.

Gohan - Hadn't he let Goku fall from the cliff, well... They would all be doomed.

Trunks - Hadn't he brought a medicine to Goku, well... They would all be doomed.

Android 16 & Mr Satan - Hadn't they collaborate, well... They would all be doomed.

Mr Satan - Hadn't he befriended Majin Buu, well... They would all be doomed.

Honorable mention: Rock - Hadn't it hit Goku's head, well... They would all be doomed.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Freeza: If he hadn't compelled Bardock to send Goku to Earth, they'd all be doomed.

King Cold: If he hadn't raised Freeza to be a sadistic tyrant, eventually compelling Bardock to send Goku to Earth, they'd all be doomed.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Beerus for helping out and supporting the Z-Fighters throughout the Zamasu and Future Tournament arcs.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:43 pm

I’m not sure if this post is kinda joke .. the true hero is the main hero , Gokuh, since the very beginning to the very end . There’s More heroes , of course, before and after Goku , like Roshi or trunks .
But that’s in db audience eyes , in db most people from the earth the true hero is Mr. Satan
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Kanious wrote:By causation logic, Akira Toriyama is the true hero haha.

Well, there are many characters that can be considered the true heros, depending the situation, but i too like to see Bulma and Future Trunks as ultimate heroes for the Z Fighters.

Actually Akira Toriyama's greatgreatgreagreatgreatgreatgr......wait, STOP!!
Enough already, lets keep it in Dragonball okay?

Goku is of course the main hero. But is he an intentional hero?

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

You're confusing "catalys" with "hero". Freeza and Beerus never saved anybody or did anything heroic. They spawned a series of events that allowed heroes to emerge.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Its obvious. Tori-bot is the true hero of Dragon Ball since he is basically Toriyama’s way of existing on DB and since Toriyama created DB, him and by extension Tori-bot is the real hero AND the villain at the same time
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:49 pm

It's me who is the real hero.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:13 am

lancerman wrote:You're confusing "catalys" with "hero".
I second this notion. Some refer to Gokū as an accidental or unintentional hero, since his goals simply tend to align with saving the day, but a catalyst is even more accidental or unintentional a hero than that; yes, Bulma's discovery of a Dragon Ball and her subsequent search for the others led her to meet Gokū, enabling absolutely everything else that happened thereafter, but her actions have never directly saved the planet, galaxy, or universe. Rather, her actions have often enabled someone else to do so, namely Gokū, or prevented someone from destroying or ruling, such as Freeza.

Applying such a principle of causality, let's use an example to compare one of the major actions of Bulma and Gokū, respectively, that are associated with saving of lives (or, in this case, the universe) in order to illustrate what I mean.

Bulma created and brought along a Dragon Radar to Planet Namek; this enabled the team to prevent the Namekian Dragon Balls from falling into the hands of Vegeta and/or Freeza, effectively preventing their potentially becoming immortal and therefore, to an extent, undefeatable. Even Super Saiyajin Gokū would not be able to defeat a 100% power Freeza who can't be killed; he might beat him down just as he did in the manga, but, after a time, Gokū's stamina and energy would deplete, enabling Freeza to kill him (assuming Freeza's immortality would include healing of wounds as it did in Future Zamas' case). Bulma is one reason for Freeza's defeat, effectively saving the universe from his reign.

When Freeza unveiled his true form, no one shy of Gokū was able to match him in combat; with the Kaiōken x20, Gokū roughly equaled 50% of Freeza's power. Regardless of what Bulma could have accomplished technologically, nothing she might have been capable of could possibly have directly affected Freeza; she could potentially have deceived him and/or prevented him from accomplishing certain things (as she did with contributing to the prevention of his immortality), but there was no way she could harm him, let alone defeat him and stop him from ruling the universe with an iron fist as the most powerful mortal (just so long as he didn't irritate Beerus again). Gokū, however, did exactly that; he engaged Freeza in battle and won. As Movie 13's title says, if Gokū didn't do it, who would have? Without him, there wouldn't have been a hero.

In other words, Gokū's actions more closely relate to what ends up saving the day and often are what saves the day in the end. It is true that, often, he could not have done so if not for Bulma's prior actions, but her actions aren't what saved the day in the end; someone else with inhuman abilities, be it Gokū, Gohan, Vegeta, or the unrivaled Monaka, took what she made possible and hit the problem really, really hard.

I kind of lost sight of the point I was making while on-and-off typing this, but hopefully that made sense. I kind of lost interest in it, but I didn't want to just discard it all. Sorry if it's a little jumbled and not as sensible as it could have been. :silent:
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 am

Bardock and Gine since they gave birth to what will inevitably become the main protagonist of the Dragon Ball Franchise, Sun Wukong.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 am

Black Hawk wrote:
lancerman wrote:You're confusing "catalys" with "hero".
I second this notion. Some refer to Gokū as an accidental or unintentional hero, since his goals simply tend to align with saving the day, but a catalyst is even more accidental or unintentional a hero than that; yes, Bulma's discovery of a Dragon Ball and her subsequent search for the others led her to meet Gokū, enabling absolutely everything else that happened thereafter, but her actions have never directly saved the planet, galaxy, or universe. Rather, her actions have often enabled someone else to do so, namely Gokū, or prevented someone from destroying or ruling, such as Freeza.

Applying such a principle of causality, let's use an example to compare one of the major actions of Bulma and Gokū, respectively, that are associated with saving of lives (or, in this case, the universe) in order to illustrate what I mean.

Bulma created and brought along a Dragon Radar to Planet Namek; this enabled the team to prevent the Namekian Dragon Balls from falling into the hands of Vegeta and/or Freeza, effectively preventing their potentially becoming immortal and therefore, to an extent, undefeatable. Even Super Saiyajin Gokū would not be able to defeat a 100% power Freeza who can't be killed; he might beat him down just as he did in the manga, but, after a time, Gokū's stamina and energy would deplete, enabling Freeza to kill him (assuming Freeza's immortality would include healing of wounds as it did in Future Zamas' case). Bulma is one reason for Freeza's defeat, effectively saving the universe from his reign.

When Freeza unveiled his true form, no one shy of Gokū was able to match him in combat; with the Kaiōken x20, Gokū roughly equaled 50% of Freeza's power. Regardless of what Bulma could have accomplished technologically, nothing she might have been capable of could possibly have directly affected Freeza; she could potentially have deceived him and/or prevented him from accomplishing certain things (as she did with contributing to the prevention of his immortality), but there was no way she could harm him, let alone defeat him and stop him from ruling the universe with an iron fist as the most powerful mortal (just so long as he didn't irritate Beerus again). Gokū, however, did exactly that; he engaged Freeza in battle and won. As Movie 13's title says, if Gokū didn't do it, who would have? Without him, there wouldn't have been a hero.

In other words, Gokū's actions more closely relate to what ends up saving the day and often are what saves the day in the end. It is true that, often, he could not have done so if not for Bulma's prior actions, but her actions aren't what saved the day in the end; someone else with inhuman abilities, be it Gokū, Gohan, Vegeta, or the unrivaled Monaka, took what she made possible and hit the problem really, really hard.

I kind of lost sight of the point I was making while on-and-off typing this, but hopefully that made sense. I kind of lost interest in it, but I didn't want to just discard it all. Sorry if it's a little jumbled and not as sensible as it could have been. :silent:

I get it,
Goku is of course the greatest hero of them all, even though it isn't really in his intention to be one.
When it comes all down with it, he's just a guy who like's to fight strong guys, when he saves a whole lot of people while doing so then that's a bonus.

I do have a problem with his attitude in Super though, that's why I'm sort of questioning his integrity.
The Goku in Super deliberately puts people in danger for his own selfish desires and therefore I can't really see him as a genuine hero anymore.
Goku in DBZ did some dumb things but he never went looking for trouble, trouble found him instead.
So that's why I think that Bulma is more of a hero than Goku nowadays.