Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions (update 23rd of september)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Watching Dragon Ball with kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions (update 23rd of september)

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:19 am

*Updated the 23rd of September*
I know there was another topic like this, but I can't seem to find it. I'll be updating this topic as we watch more.

I've watched the first 99 episodes with my daugther who's almost 5 years old and she really likes it for the most part! We watch it in French because the languages she understands are Norwegian and French. We also are sure to watch the uncensored version. Also, she asks if we can watch "Goku" instead of Dragon Ball which is kinda cute.

Why don't you watch it with kids and write about it here, too?

- She likes the happy tune often playing when Goku's on adventure.
- SHE ACTUALLY STARTING HUMMING MAKAFUSHISGI ADVENTURE, even though it's barely in the french dub!

The Dragon Balls arc :
- Her favorite parts are when Goku pokes people down there. She thinks it's so hysterically funny.

- She also thinks it's funny to see Goku run around naked.

- She found it very funny that Bulma showed her "wee wee" to Kamesennin.

- She commented on Goku taking a piss during plan with Goku being dressed as a girl to take down Oolong.

- She lauged when Oolong transformed into a panties.

- She thought Oolong was a nasty pig.

- She thinks Pilaf is really evil.

- She doesn't like Yamcha and thinks he's mean.

- she thought it was funny that chi chi is going around wearing underwear.

- she asked if the rabbit boss really was bad.

- she commented saying the car of the rabbit band was weird.

- She thinks Bulma is cute and funny in her bunny outfit.

- She thinks the candy tool Bulma created is still very funny.

- She was very confused when Pilaf sent Bulma a kiss as a "punishment". Because a kiss isn't a punishment!

- She thinks Pilaf is scary!

- She thought it was funny to see Oolong as a flying pig.

- She thought oolong's wish was really funny.

- She laughs seeing oolong running around with underwear on his head. And she went to her room and did the same afterwards!

-When Goku transformed into oozaru she just said"he has to become small again".

- She thought yamcha gasping for air after running was funny.

- "He's dead!" - she looked at my with a serious look saying after Pilaf shot Goku oozaru down, and laughed a relived laugh when he was not.

- She thinks Goku oozaru is too big and doesn't like him like that "because he's mean".

- She asked why Goku had a tail and what he would do without it.

- She's running around doing stances, kicks and punches like Goku (haha).

The 21st tournament saga:

- she was worried bulma burned herself with the airplane crash.

- she wonders if goku got his tail back yet.

- she liked the part with the boat.

- she smiled when roshi tried lunch's ass.

- she tried screaming like goku did when he screamed into kamesennin's ear.

- "he hasn't got the Shell"! Referring to roshi.

- She liked when Mutenroshi tried "pafu pafu" at Lunch.

- She liked seing Nam's opponent in her underwear.

- She laughed when Kuririn farted at bacterian.

- She really likes the recap music.

- She laughed when Giran asked for another glass of Milk.

- This is probably a french dub line, but it made her laugh: "It's now time for you to drink your baby bottle!"

- She found Goku grabbing Giran by the tail very funny.

- She really liked when Goku broke free from Giran's attack.

- She absolutely loved Jackie Chun's dance when Goku joined in!

- She laughed and smiled about what Goku did in his fight against Gran when he broke free from his attack.

- She absolutely loved that Goku used his tail for flying back to the tournament stage.

- She laughed because nobody got hurt from the KaMeHaMeHa duel between Shun and Goku.

- She liked the "drunken fighting" part, especially when Jackie was clapping.

- She was astounded and laughed like mad when Goku went "monkey".

- "Look, he's farting!" (commenting on Jackie's green power up scene).

- She was scared when Goku was taken by Chun's electric attack, and angry at Jackie.

- She was worried when Goku turned Oozaru.

- She almost started crying when she thought Goku died.

- She thought Goku had a small wee-wee.

The red ribbon army arc:

- she laughed when Goku did "paff paff" at Nam.

- she laughed when Pilaf woke up from his nightmare about Goku Ozaru.

- She always finds it hilarous that Chi Chi walks around in her under wear.

- "He's got boobs, he's got boobs!" (referring to Goku having apples under his skirt)

- She laughed really loudly when Goku was eating a lot after getting back from beating General Blue.

- she really enjoyed Goku and Bulma flying on kintoun.

- she smiled when Goku and Bulma met Kamesennin at his island again.

- she smiled a lot under the bathroom scene where Kamesennin shrunk with the capsule, and Bulma.

- she didn't like blonde lunch beating up guys.

- she was scared by the skeleton.

- she was afraid Goku would die when he got an electric chock.

- she laughed when Kamesenning's butt was exposed to the tv screen.

- she laughed really hard when Kamesennin was watching tv expecting to see women's ass but instead saw the ass of a man.

- After Goku defeats the RRA in episode 68 and Kamesennin's "planning" how they're gonna attack, my daugther laughed of something Lunch said.

Post RRA, the fortuneteller Baba saga:
- Episode 69 - she laughed when Kamesennin made a funny face.

- She smiled when Uppa was wished back to life and met Goku again.

- Of course nekkid Goku is really fun.

-She was scared after Kuririn got bit by the Vampire man.

- She laughed a lot when the vampire man didn't like the smell of garlic coming from Uppa's mouth.

- The invincible man scared her.

- "My head hurts from watching! My head hurts from watching!" - while Yamcha being beat by the invincible man.

- She didn't like the invincible man being beat up by Yamcha either.

- "It's lava, daddy!" (the stuff down the bridge after the invincible man fight at Baba's place), and then she jumps and hugs me <3

Episode 73:
- She was scared when Goku got hit by the mommy's bandages and didn't want to look, while hugging me.
- She laughed when Goku managed to come loose from the bandages.

Episode 74:
- She got scared when Devilman put on an evil laugh.
-she laughed when Goku didn't get affected by Devilman's "blow up" attack
- she laughed crazily when Goku got back up with his tail after almost falling off the bridge.

Episode 76:
- she asked me why Son Gohan was dead.
- she thought Goku was parted in half after Gohan's first Ka Me Ha Me Ha.

Episode 77: she found half nekkid Goku running after Pilaf to be hysterically fun.

Episode 78: "that was a nice Dragon". (after Uppa's father came back to life)

The Goku Training filler saga:

-She laughed a lot when the bad guys got sucked into the bottle.

The 22nd tournament saga

Episode 84:
- she laughed when the tigers bit Goku's boxers.
- she thought it was funny that Kamesennin didn't have enough money.
- she laughed when Goku was eating.

----
I didn't write down so much during the last batches of episodes we were watching because I wanted to just enjoy the watch together with her, but here are the main things I remember:

- She asked "what happened to his leg now"? (talking about Yamcha getting his leg broken)

- She asked why Ten Shin Han broke his leg.

- She asked why Ten Shin Han has 3 eyes.

- She asked "why did the woman smile to him now"? (talking about Yamcha?) I said "I don't know." She replied "maybe they're gonna be boy and girl friend!".

- She asked several times if Tai Pai Pai and "The Crow Master" (Tenshinhan's master in DB, that's what he's called in DB) were really brothers, and why.

- When Ten Shin Han's master tried to kill Goku she said "I recognize him!"

- She said she likes Goku when he smiles.

- She repeatedly said "They can't fight! They're friends! One of them will die!"

- My daugther said "That's cheating!. The little grand child did so he cheated!" (Talking about Chaoz)

- "He'll die!" (when Goku was down) after Chaoz was cheating.
Last edited by sangofe on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 am, edited 61 times in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Watching Dragon Ball with your kid(s) and their thoughts/reactions

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 am

Did you ever need to explain things where the French dub failed to provide an explanation? For example, Bulma and Goku's names before episode 4 and 5 respectively?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:15 am

Danfun64 wrote:Did you ever need to explain things where the French dub failed to provide an explanation? For example, Bulma and Goku's names before episode 4 and 5 respectively?
I honestly didn't sit and watch all the time as I'd seen these episodes before a few times... Which part exactly (can you also give times) are you referring to? But I kinda translated the parts that were censored and in Japanese. That I did. She's 4,5 and French isn't her first language, so I'm not 100% sure how many details she picks up on.
Last edited by sangofe on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am

I find it so weird that the "Uncensored" French dub uses pieces of the Japanese version to cover the censored parts. :lol:

In any case, cool idea for a topic. I imagine this will be quite entertaining to follow. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:19 pm

My niece is 5-going on 17, and is way too cool for "kid stuff."

My nephew loves it, though he prefers Ninja Turtles.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I don't imagine there are too many people with kids here. Most people here are still rather young, and many adults these days don't have children or have never gotten a date.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:33 pm

I don't have kids yet, but I look forward to having them one day and sharing my love for Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:45 pm

precita wrote:I don't imagine there are too many people with kids here. Most people here are still rather young, and many adults these days don't have children or have never gotten a date.
I think there are more than you'd think there are.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:My niece is 5-going on 17, and is way too cool for "kid stuff."

My nephew loves it, though he prefers Ninja Turtles.
What, your niece who's soon 5 doesn't like it saying it's "kids stuff"? Haha, that's funny.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 pm

precita wrote:I don't imagine there are too many people with kids here. Most people here are still rather young, and many adults these days don't have children or have never gotten a date.
Happy engaged to a girl who loves anime. I hope nobody on here let’s their love of anime, or “geek culture” in general, deter them from trying to date.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:41 pm

I am planning to watch it with my 4 year old brother. Unlike me, he'll watch the original DB. I started with Z when I was 5 thanks to my older brother.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 am

Tian wrote:I am planning to watch it with my 4 year old brother. Unlike me, he'll watch the original DB. I started with Z when I was 5 thanks to my older brother.
Awesome. Let us know!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 am

Planning to watch more over the weekend!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am

I wish the Mikado was here! They had pretty rad stories from their kids!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I wish the Mikado was here! They had pretty rad stories from their kids!
The person who had the same kind of thread I referred to?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 am

Yeah. But it would be nice to have all the tales and stories in one thread.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 pm

If I ever have the luck and social skills to get a girlfriend and eventually get married I want kids to share Dragon Ball with. Before or if that happens, I've considered maybe showing it to my little cousins who are 6 and 3 whose dad grew up with DBZ as a kid and is still somewhat into it now. If they're ever staying at our place (unlikely, but still) and they're the right age I would happily share DB with them.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am

floofychan333 wrote:If I ever have the luck and social skills to get a girlfriend and eventually get married I want kids to share Dragon Ball with. Before or if that happens, I've considered maybe showing it to my little cousins who are 6 and 3 whose dad grew up with DBZ as a kid and is still somewhat into it now. If they're ever staying at our place (unlikely, but still) and they're the right age I would happily share DB with them.
4-8 is a good age to watch DB!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:20 am

Watched some more.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:54 am

Robo4900 wrote:I find it so weird that the "Uncensored" French dub uses pieces of the Japanese version to cover the censored parts. :lol:
You find that strange? It's something that's naturally done to recover the censored scenes and have them included. European distributors do this to this day due to the forced censorship so the viewers and fans alike can have a complete, uncut set of it without scenes missing.

If FUNimation didn't do a redub for Dragon Ball Z you'd end up getting way more Japanese-based scenes than Europeans did. :wink: The censored US version features 276 episodes while the censored European version features 291.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:You find that strange? It's something that's naturally done to recover the censored scenes and have them included. European distributors do this to this day due to the forced censorship so the viewers and fans alike can have a complete, uncut set of it without scenes missing.

If FUNimation didn't do a redub for Dragon Ball Z you'd end up getting way more Japanese-based scenes than Europeans did. :wink: The censored US version features 276 episodes while the censored European version features 291.
Actually, if Funimation hadn't done a redub of Z, this would mean they'd still be using the Ocean cast most likely. Back in those days, Pioneer seemed to be considering doing some kind of uncut redub with the Ocean cast in the style of the movies they did, so if Funimation hadn't done it, Pioneer would have.

But yes, I absolutely still find it strange. Even if the dub was never recorded uncut, they could have brought the actors back to fill in the missing segments back when uncut releases were becoming a thing. I imagine it's probably been too long now, but back when this was first happening, I imagine the actors were young(And talented) enough to sound convincing enough in the missing scenes.

I just find this whole thing weird, though; surely, if fixing the missing scenes wasn't an option for some reason, they could just use branching to make the dub cut, and the sub uncut on the DVD?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.