"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Been thinking on it and I really don't see this ending in a tie.

Zen-Oh dose not change his mind on this subject easily and despite all the other universes efferts, see U3, they all got whipped without hesitation and he's apparently not showing any hesitation when it comes to doing the same to U7 until its reviled its not over yet.

Zen-Oh wants 5 universe. We're more likely to get a tie-breaker or a nick of time ring out. Hell a tie could be the worst thing to happen as he could just say "F It" and erase both on the spot for not being good enough to ring out the other.

Edit: Hell even his agreement to change the rules is Bergamo beat Goku felt like a rigged bet, otherwise why would it matter if Goku through the fight or not if it was entertaining for future Zen-Oh?
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:19 pm

Anyone know where we can see the full interview?

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 pm

I don't know what will happen with Frieza, but i'm sure that super will end without any cliffhanger.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm

TheMikado wrote: I'm not sure these are positives though....

Also, if anything it would seem to confirm that Toei does what Toriyama tells them to do.

Toriyama sends a outline with little info.
Toei decides to flesh it out, show it to Toriyama.
Toriyama says no, do this.
Toei does it.

I'm not seeing anywhere where they pushed back on Toriyama on Jiren's personality, or making Caulifa, or who was involved with the tournament, or the style or size of it, or any push back whatsoever.
It literally looks like they would do something, scrap it and just do whatever Toriyama said to do even if they were going in a different direction.
Of course it is something positive. It shows that it all does not depend on Toriyama-san and therefore should show those Toriyama-theists that he is not the only one in charge. The very reason why Toei listens to him is because respecting him as the original creator of the franchise they want to follow his thoughts closely - and maybe it might also be a contract thing but that is a part we do not know. In any way of course it is also obvious that the more they can say "Toriyama-san is included" the better they can sell stuff to a certain amount of consumers simply because there are actually people who live under the impression that everything worth of the name Dragon Ball has to be under the name of Akira Toriyama - even if they then sell Super with stuff like "Story by Akira Toriyama" even though that's far from being that simple.
What we definitely see though is that Toei adds in and changes so much that just considering Toriyama needs to give them approval to anything would be insane. There was so much happening in the anime detail-wise one cannot really believe that Toriyama-san sat through every frame and script line, nodding/not nodding. What is obvious is that they show him stuff and when something seems to need a different spin in his eyes then he says something. But believing that everything that happens in the anime happens within the process of "and here, line 345 says x, Mr. Toriyama, are you okay with that?" -> "Yes, yes I am" like the man would seriously watch everything is simply an unrealistic thought. And that Toriyama has no problem with Toyble changing things is also something we know from his older interviews when he directly told him not to hold back and should bring in his own things. People just seem to not understand that it is not one or the other, "He watches over everything" or "Over nothing". It is neither of those two.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 pm

The interview also mentions that, when voicing Kaflo, Cauliflo's voice actor would perform looking at the screen while Kale's voice actor performed looking at the other's mouth.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:18 pm

RedHeat wrote:I hope if there's one thing the fandom takes away from this interview is that just because Toriyama is involved doesn't mean that's a good thing.
Indeed. Which is honestly sad. :(

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Is Broly really that popular that he would actually come up during a meeting with Toriyama? Also that tidbit about Kale and Cauliflower's voice actresses is interesting, whatever works right?.
As for the end of the Tournament my personal predictions are as follows:

1. When Son falls from the ring it happens after the time limit has ran out. This results in Universe 7 and 11 surviving due to a time out. (Freeza still uses a Death Dram on Jiren because that is something Freeza does. It is Freeza after all.)

2. Same situation as above but both or one of the universes gets erased. Even if it is universe 7 maybe universe 11 wishes them back because Son's personality got to Jiren. (Wouldn't be the first time such a scernaro happened in DB)

3. Same as above but Freeza's Death Beam kills Jiren because his guard is down. (Cue the rioting) But universe 7 wins because Freeza is still technically last in the ring. But then the Zeno's erase Freeza for killing Jiren.

4. It turns out the Zenos can not erase Freeza because he's dead! So despite whatever he does Universe 7 wins. (I am sure Zeno can erase a universe's afterlife but imagine the rage if such a event occurred?!)

Now as for Son Goku "falling from the arena" it either plays out like thus:

1. Jiren simply overpowers UI Goku.

2. Goku loses stamina and falls out of the UI form thus allowing Jiren to win.

Either way Goku has to launch a energy ball at Jiren then strike a pose ala "the Goku's back poster." I base this theory on XV2's "Godly display" move.

But! Toriyama is a comedy man at heart so something foolishness may indeed transpire and that is how one of the universes wins. But, every Tournament besides the Cell Games was decided by a flying type maneuver. Son Goku and Jackie Chun jump kicking each other, Tien and Goku falling from the sky, Goku headbutting Piccolo Jr. And finally Son simply flying away with Uub. It's not a stretch to believe the ToP won't end in a similar fashion.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Lets not start that again please.

I'm a fan of the Alien franchise and its been in three separate hands.

Fox almost broke Alien 3 (which I love and is pretty great) and Resurrection is awful.

Fanboys had their shot and we got AVP and AVP:R

Ridley Scott got back in the chair and we got Prometheus and Covenant, two very imperfect works.

Don't even get me started of the rumours and delays on The Predator coming out this year.

Lets not going pointing fingers at anyone one person for issues with Super. If you want to take away anything from the interview, collectively poor choices have been made all round.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Someone needs to have the balls to tell Toriyama, "No. This sounds stupid." Or, "We need more than that to work with."
For which things for example?
- Why does the final antagonist of the Universal Survival arc be specifically have to be a character who doesn't speak?
- What is Caulifla's character?
- How much do the other universes that aren't Universe 7 and 11 contribute to the Tournament Of Power?

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 pm

alakazam^ wrote:The interview also mentions that, when voicing Kaflo, Cauliflo's voice actor would perform looking at the screen while Kale's voice actor performed looking at the other's mouth.
That's interesting, but by "looking at the other's mouth" does that mean the Kale VA would look at say the Caulifla VA's mouth?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:39 pm

People keep counting out Freeza but let me remind you that Golden Freeza was more powerful than SSB. He also teased Goku that his Golden form has gotten more powerful and also was able to tank Hakai waaayyy before Vegeta's SSB2 form (which he needed to focus his energy into his hands to do, something Freeza didn't need to do).

I know Toppo and Jiren fodderized him, that's not my point, just show a lil respect cause if it was Vegeta hidden away people will be like,"OMG Vegeta is going to finish a weaken Jiren" and that may be the actual case with Freeza as well. We don't know what and why there's a max power Jiren. My theory is that it's an exhausting form that only last a few seconds. It can be a form that gives Jiren beyond beyond godlike power but completely exhausts him after. He could use it to ring out a still capable Goku, giving fans the ability to go "well if there wasn't a ring out rule, UI goku wouldve won" and the same time give us a reason for why Freeza can now KO the unbeatable Greyling. Seems plausible since his mediation seems like a method to build and store massive ki.

Lum-Chan~

Post by Lum-Chan~ » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 pm

The spoilers for 131 are really ambiguous and confusing so I think we should just wait until the episode airs to give absolutes on what happens. It's weird as heck to me so many people want Goku to lose the biggest arc the series will ever have but it's whatever.

In my opinion there's no way they would build up such a heavy theme of teamwork and everyone call out Jiren's really stupid backstory for being a weak reason for abandoning friendship and trust if he wasn't going to be proven wrong in the end. That'd be really poor writing.

Now these next few weeks can't come soon enough.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent, I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good, nightmare to you!" - Goku

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Someone needs to have the balls to tell Toriyama, "No. This sounds stupid." Or, "We need more than that to work with."
- Why does the final antagonist of the Universal Survival arc be specifically have to be a character who doesn't speak?
- How much do the other universes that aren't Universe 7 and 11 contribute to the Tournament Of Power?
That’s my take away too which really circles back to Toriyama needing a good editorial team to push him and that’s invested in the works quality as well.

The recent re translation where Toriyamas old editor is calling him up about the manga was great. The guy didn’t have a financial or professional stake in Toriyamas work anymore but loved the franchise and Toriyama enough to be honest with him and push him to do better even without a reason to do so.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - Why does the final antagonist of the Universal Survival arc be specifically have to be a character who doesn't speak?
Because he thinks he looks cool :thumbdown:

Her character isnt different from the likes of Rukia, Nami, Sakura.

Dont forget about U6.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:He veto Jiren's original personalty by the anime, but for some reason didn't bother with Kale and instead made another Saiyan to compliment her.
"Didn't bother" =/= "completely okay with it".
HeroR wrote:And the interview literally said that Cali was created because of Kale.
Misunderstood your comment. What I was saying is that she as a character is independent of Kale. Either way, my original comment had nothing to do with Caulifla. The circumstances of Caulifla's creation are irrelevant to my criticism of Kale.
So if he wasn't okay why he made another character to go with Kale instead of just saying no like he did with Jiren?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 pm

alakazam^ wrote:The interview also mentions that, when voicing Kaflo, Cauliflo's voice actor would perform looking at the screen while Kale's voice actor performed looking at the other's mouth.
You seen the whole interview?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Why is Jiren not talking much an automatic negative and needed to be called out?

And most fans don't even care about the other universes, so why would Toei care that U10 wasn't important?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm

TheMikado wrote:Anyone know where we can see the full interview?
On the website,herms has linked the page.
Lord Beerus wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
1.Not speaking much is not a negative thing,depends on execution.
2.Same with other female characters by toriyama.
3.Add U6 and that is a very important question?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 pm

I agree, Toriyama was great back then because he had his editors, mainly Torishima, to keep him in check. Now it's 30 years later, no one dares to tell Toriyama when something is bad and has to be done a different way.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Sandubadear wrote:
I agree, Toriyama was great back then because he had his editors, mainly Torishima, to keep him in check. Now it's 30 years later, no one dares to tell Toriyama when something is bad and has to be done a different way.
Torishima loved Resurrection 'F', so....
Kanassa wrote: