Super Saiyan 4 is more well liked than I thought

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Super Saiyan 4 is more well liked than I thought

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:15 pm

So I made a poll on the Dragon Ball Wiki a few days ago, you can see it here.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

And I asked what form of Goku's looks the best. It only has 240 votes for now but it hasn't been any different since the start. The Mastered Ultra Instinct form has by far the most votes, understandable because it does look cool but mainly its brand new.

What has surprised me greatly though is that Super Saiyan 4 has the second highest amount of votes. More than the original Super Saiyan forms or the Super Saiyan God forms, Super Saiyan 4 people apparently like more.

I would never have thought that. I've always been mixed on it because it looks decent but it doesn't seem like it belongs and it's confused looking but I know it's always been popular but yeah I would not have thought it would have the next most popular.

It's not just a little infront of the next one's either, it has quite a gap between the next highest one.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Saiyan 4 is more well liked than I thought

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Not surprising. SSJ4 is an awesome form

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 pm

That's good to hear. I love Super Saiyan 4.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Not surprising at all. People like the "the more the better" phylosophy, so naturally Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 would come off at the top. Actually if you had put Super Saiyan 5 in there, it would appear on top 3 for this very reason. Give a little more time and Ultra Instinct will not go this far on another poll. It's all because it's new and such, but once people get used to it, they'll vote for those two old transformations.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Grimlock wrote:Not surprising at all. People like the "the more the better" phylosophy, so naturally Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 would come off at the top. Actually if you had put Super Saiyan 5 in there, it would appear on top 3 for this very reason. Give a little more time and Ultra Instinct will not go this far on another poll. It's all because it's new and such, but once people get used to it, they'll vote for those two old transformations.
My thought exactly. UI is loved because its brand new and DBS is reaching the final two episodes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Grimlock wrote:Not surprising at all. People like the "the more the better" phylosophy, so naturally Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 would come off at the top. Actually if you had put Super Saiyan 5 in there, it would appear on top 3 for this very reason. Give a little more time and Ultra Instinct will not go this far on another poll. It's all because it's new and such, but once people get used to it, they'll vote for those two old transformations.
I dunno SSGSS managed to maintain it's popularity for 3 years, in Japan at least.

If UI gets a good showing I think it could maintain itself very well.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I would have said less is more for a series like this. Most the transformations have been minor changes, different hair, different colours and different auras.

That's why I always thought Super Saiyan 4 seemed so out of place but it would seem maybe that's why it could be more popular because it is so different.

Still, aside from Mastered Ultra Instinct, I would have thought the original Super Saiyan would have been the most popular.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:17 pm

SSJ4 is loved because of the lore behind it.
It combines two Saiyan transformations into a single one.

It captures both call backs to the original DB and DBZ anime. Even the the golden oozaru form is a callback to the anime only form in the Namek saga.

Not to mention it really does have a serious tone to it and feels powerful and brutal.

Similarly Dokkan battle has been insanely financially successful and they celebrated it with SSJ4 forms...

The fact is it was clear a lot of thought and care went into it even if it’s a bit over designed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I dunno SSGSS managed to maintain it's popularity for 3 years, in Japan at least.

Even if it comes to be the case, it wouldn't affect the fact that people still prefer transformations that is overly designed. Also, I was most referring to Western people.
Bullza wrote:I would have said less is more for a series like this. Most the transformations have been minor changes, different hair, different colours and different auras.
That is exactly what Dragon Ball should have been about and is the phylosophy that most people who prefer Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 follow. This is also why Super Saiyan 2 is the best transformation.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Glad it's well liked. It has the most variety in appearance for each user, even more than SSJ1 and maintains the monkey motif without overdoing it too much.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:13 pm

Grimlock wrote:That is exactly what Dragon Ball should have been about and is the phylosophy that most people who prefer Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 follow. This is also why Super Saiyan 2 is the best transformation.
Well for that one I'd maybe say Super Saiyan 2 was too insignificant of a change. It looked fine for Gohan back in the Cell Games because it was a simple but noticeable difference but for Goku, Vegeta and adult Gohan it's that minimal a difference that it has caused countless debates over which is supposed to be which in certain fights like with Broly and Dabura.

The main difference is supposed to be the lightning but I was watching an episode earlier where Goku fights Pikkon and even there he has the lightning.

Just from appearance alone it is one of the best looking but it's ​probably the smallest change between forms.

But yeah I remember when they announced Super Saiyan God and people made up all those grand fan designs for what it would look like and the reality was that it was a very simple change, just a slim Goku with red hair and people were mixed on that at first.

I do think simple is better.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:13 pm

I think UI looks fantastic.
SSJ4 is more for the lore. I don't have the impression that much people like SSJ3. First two forms are unbeatable classics.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Wait a year and UI will be much lower, seriously. It's like after Kaioken Kamehameha on Hit or UI Kamehameha on Kefla there was a spam of "top 10 kamehameha" and newest DBS scenes were always on the first place. It's the same with every new transformation, sad scene or even fight. I respect that some people might like new form but the truth is it is overhyped right now no matter how good it is. New things are always overhyped.

SSJ4 was always liked even by people who didn't like GT itself. Many people say SSJ4 is the only thing they liked from GT.
Even many DBS fans say that SSJ4 is far better form than any form in Super even tho they like series much more than GT.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 am

Bullza wrote:Well for that one I'd maybe say Super Saiyan 2 was too insignificant of a change. It looked fine for Gohan back in the Cell Games because it was a simple but noticeable difference but for Goku, Vegeta and adult Gohan it's that minimal a difference that it has caused countless debates over which is supposed to be which in certain fights like with Broly and Dabura.
As I once said in another thread some time ago, some debates are only caused by people who don't pay attention. If they did, they all would be able to tell which transformation the characters are using depending on which fight it's being talked about. Just because the differences are minimal does not mean one should not be at least somewhat analytical.
Bullza wrote:The main difference is supposed to be the lightning but I was watching an episode earlier where Goku fights Pikkon and even there he has the lightning.
I'll have to disagree, the main difference is supposed to be the hair. And there is no reason to believe Goku was using Super Saiyan 2 against Paikuhan. On the contrary, there are many pointing to the fact that he wasn't using it even with the appearance of lightnings (besides the fact he didn't even have said form by that point).

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:48 am

Oh I know he definitely wasn't using Super Saiyan 2 against Pikkon but he did have the lightning.

Which did happen before in the anime....not sure if it happened in the manga though.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Bullza wrote:Which did happen before in the anime....not sure if it happened in the manga though.
Pikkon wasn't in the manga, so now you know for sure. ^_^

As for Super Saiyan 4, I'm with most of the others; it doesn't surprise me that the form should come so close to the top. It's all personal preference, sure, but I doubt UI will be very big if it's to be surpassed like the others. While I do like the idea of your body doing a lot of the reading for you, I find the acquisition to be super cheap among transformations. Considering the age we're in though for transformations, I suppose it's relatively not so harmful in that regard. *gets "back-tingling" flashbacks* But going back to Super Saiyan 4, I give it plenty of browny points for its appearance and acquisition (by Goku).
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Not really surprising thought I find the form ok not really a huge fan of it but I like the concept of it.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:14 pm

I think had Super Saiyan 4 had this colour scheme then I'd have been more of a fan of it. I'd even say it would be the best looking one maybe.

Otherwise I have no idea why he has pink-red fur by then Vegeta has a dark red fur. Vegeta also has brown hair for some reasons.

Also turning into Super Saiyan 4 gave him pants that he wasn't wearing. It's just strange.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 pm

I just find SS4 to be better than any of the forms that came afterwards and SSJ2 and SSJ3.

The pink fur doesn't really bother me too much and I like the black hair on it. I do find the pants thing strange though.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I dunno SSGSS managed to maintain it's popularity for 3 years, in Japan at least.

Even if it comes to be the case, it wouldn't affect the fact that people still prefer transformations that is overly designed. Also, I was most referring to Western people.
While on the topic of Japanese fans. SS3 doesn't seem well liked, it's merch sits around for ages and available for penuts, it probably explains why SS3 hasn't been used much in DBS, while SSGSS has been used frequently.

SS4 only seems to be popular with Gogeta, probably due to the red hair, any SS4 Goku/Vegeta merch the last few years have been higher end so aiming for collectors. May will be the first time SS4 Goku will get a main release in a while ie something kids can easily get with the DBS FES line, so I'm interested to see how it does.