"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:So is Patrick Seitz going to voice Jiren in the actual anime?
Highly likely he doesn't live in Texas so they wouldn't bother getting an out of towner if he wasn't gonna play him in the anime too.
Jiren with a redneck accent would be precious.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Jiren with a redneck accent would be precious.
All right, y'all, it's over!

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Jiren with a redneck accent would be precious.
All right, y'all, it's over!
https://youtu.be/BZiPJk6eR9A?t=53

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 am

Honestly, what bothers me most about the dub of Super is the use of the phrasing "7th / 6th / 10th / etc" Universe.

Guaranteed years of clickbait and misinformation being spread that these are the order in which the Universe's were created

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Honestly, what bothers me most about the dub of Super is the use of the phrasing "7th / 6th / 10th / etc" Universe.

Guaranteed years of clickbait and misinformation being spread that these are the order in which the Universe's were created
What? Do we even have info in Japan of that stuff? The universes were created in the DB multiverse & every 2 of them that's numbers add up to 13 are twins of each other. Was it the Omni King who created them, or have we not the information to know? Either way, I don't think that calling the universes by their numbers makes any sort of difference.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:Honestly, what bothers me most about the dub of Super is the use of the phrasing "7th / 6th / 10th / etc" Universe.

What? Do we even have info in Japan of that stuff? The universes were created in the DB multiverse & every 2 of them that's numbers add up to 13 are twins of each other. Was it the Omni King who created them, or have we not the information to know? Either way, I don't think that calling the universes by their numbers makes any sort of difference.
See, I know that. But this is the West, we're talking about. The people that think that DBZ was the first series, for example.

Or various other clickbait topics

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

See, I know that. But this is the West, we're talking about. The people that think that DBZ was the first series, for example.

I think I see your point, but I also think you're talking about a minority of people who don't know by now about those things.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:12 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
Scsigs wrote: What? Do we even have info in Japan of that stuff? The universes were created in the DB multiverse & every 2 of them that's numbers add up to 13 are twins of each other. Was it the Omni King who created them, or have we not the information to know? Either way, I don't think that calling the universes by their numbers makes any sort of difference.

I think I see your point, but I also think you're talking about a minority of people who don't know by now about those things.
That's true

Hopefully these false spreaders can be distilled as quickly as possible

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:52 pm

"What happened to all that machismo you had?" - Vegeta to Trunks

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Wow. This episode's been really good so far, with Zamasu & Gowasu's subplot balanced with Trunks' main plot. It's been really good in terms of pacing. Marsters has also been really good as Zamasu & I think Gowasu's starting to grow on me. It's just been really good. The dub's been especially wonderful.
Also, never knew they foreshadowed the potara fusions, though it's not like they needed to. Still hate that they retconned it for mortals, but that just makes it even more disappointing.
Also, I love how they've been using Trunks as a way for the writers to sneak in some self-referential humor. It beats out the regular humor by a mile. It's good we have an audience surrogate in the show who can react as we would, since DB doesn't regularly do that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:04 am

Zamasu sounded better in this episode. You can hear him wavering between his malice and trying to be reasonable with how he sees mortals. You also hear his naive side when talking about the Time Rings. Plus, Marsters did a great job with the fusion joke. I can mentally hear Zamasu going, 'no, no, no, just no'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am

Vale... really doesn't seem to have much subtlety in regards to acting for Trunks. Dragon Ball's not one for strong moving performances, but every reaction he has comes across as outlandish or overly questioning; Trunks should be more refined than that. Not also fond of how they stacked humor in the Beerus head-smacking scene. When you add a comment like "Oh dear lord, I'm quoting Goku now" it's giving too much humor to an action already designed to make the audience laugh; it comes across as too extra, or dare I say "try-hardish".

Still enjoying Marsters as Zamasu though.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:13 am

Alright guys, when the Episode 55 preview, comes out, expect our first look at who will be voicing The Grand Priest, who I still think will be Aaron Roberts.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:22 am

MegaBossMan wrote:Vale... really doesn't seem to have much subtlety in regards to acting for Trunks. Dragon Ball's not one for strong moving performances, but every reaction he has comes across as outlandish or overly questioning; Trunks should be more refined than that. Not also fond of how they stacked humor in the Beerus head-smacking scene. When you add a comment like "Oh dear lord, I'm quoting Goku now" it's giving too much humor to an action already designed to make the audience laugh; it comes across as too extra, or dare I say "try-hardish".

Oh god, is this another "I hate how they added the 'I forgot my tractor'"-type reaction? Look, comedy is subjective & the dub team try their hardest to keep a lot of the comedy from the original. Why is there such derision if they add in a small joke that is more than likely intended to double the comedic potential of a scene? You have the physical comedy of Beerus smacking his head on the table & breaking part of it off, then you have him lampshading that his greetings sound about as stilted as Goku's were. That's them trying to adapt the humor to an audience that watch the dubs & watch the show for the character interactions. That was the main bread & butter of Battle of Gods after all. It's not like the new lines don't fit the scenes like in the Z dub either. Beerus saying that is both keeping within his character & a funny payoff to Goku having to act polite like he's had to.

Post by AvatarMew » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 am

I know this is a sillyquestion but since Zeno didn't say "Son Goku".

Does this mean that Merged Zamasu won't be shouting it? I have no idea what could replace that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:06 am

AvatarMew wrote:I know this is a sillyquestion but since Zeno didn't say "Son Goku".

Does this mean that Merged Zamasu won't be shouting it? I have no idea what could replace that.
Goku is fine enough.

I don't think that Merged Zamasu seen is that iconic.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 am

That's weird. Where's the Episode 55 preview?
Caulifla best girl! :)

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:44 am

Scsigs wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:Vale... really doesn't seem to have much subtlety in regards to acting for Trunks. Dragon Ball's not one for strong moving performances, but every reaction he has comes across as outlandish or overly questioning; Trunks should be more refined than that. Not also fond of how they stacked humor in the Beerus head-smacking scene. When you add a comment like "Oh dear lord, I'm quoting Goku now" it's giving too much humor to an action already designed to make the audience laugh; it comes across as too extra, or dare I say "try-hardish".

Oh god, is this another "I hate how they added the 'I forgot my tractor'"-type reaction? Look, comedy is subjective & the dub team try their hardest to keep a lot of the comedy from the original. Why is there such derision if they add in a small joke that is more than likely intended to double the comedic potential of a scene? You have the physical comedy of Beerus smacking his head on the table & breaking part of it off, then you have him lampshading that his greetings sound about as stilted as Goku's were. That's them trying to adapt the humor to an audience that watch the dubs & watch the show for the character interactions. That was the main bread & butter of Battle of Gods after all. It's not like the new lines don't fit the scenes like in the Z dub either. Beerus saying that is both keeping within his character & a funny payoff to Goku having to act polite like he's had to.
Well no, the tractor line's fine because it's still related to the original action; it's extending the impact of the original joke. Nor does it distract from any other jokes and their little additions only tend to flourish otherwise tedious or benign moments. I love it when Funimation plays around with the script and it gives repeated viewings an extra level of panache as the dub distinguishes itself from the original sub. However, in this instance, there's a sense of comedic timing that loses its rhythm when you're shoving in too many quips in the span of a couple of seconds; at that point you completely lose your focus. Naturally, that's why comedians aren't telling new jokes one after the other without giving their audience time to respond or recover; launching off sudden lines of new humor without a bit of a pause becomes stilted. That's why I dislike this change specifically, as why I make find it fine in any other scene, here I just feel it stuffs the scene with a little too much humor. The headsmack and seeing Beerus this panicked is what makes this scene funny. You don't need to start adding new jokes all of a sudden because then it becomes a distraction and the scene loses a sense of being a scene and moreso someone just trying to fill in as many seconds as possible cramming jokes in. Jokes are fine of course, but you should allow them to keep their rhythm.

Granted, as you obviously pointed out humor is completely subjective, and no one particularly cares and probably just kept laughing because duh, why overthink these things. But, moving away from a general perspective and towards my personal account, I immediately did a facepalm and said "uuuuugh." Personally I didn't really like that change, and that's why I'm making a point about it here. But, that says nothing of your experience and I'm glad you were able to still enjoy the episode :)
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:48 am

Still not feeling Gowasu's voice, for the same reasons stated in my earlier post. James continues yo do well as Zamasu though. The delivery on the "disgusting!" line was perfect.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 am

Schenck's Gowasu sounds really good, but I'm not 100% keen on Marsters' Zamasu. I dunno, he just feels kinda lacking compared to Miki.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.