Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I don't think the previous alternate Canadian dubs were made to fill the quota for national content. Maybe the Blue Water dubs because they were fully Canadian dubbed shows, but definitely not the Westwood dub since it was only part of a full series and the rest was dubbed by Funimation.
Then why would they randomly switch after broadcasting the FUNi dub for as long as they were in Canada? You ask me, the most likely explanation is that they wanted to fill a quota & DBZ was right there for them.
From everything I've read that was down to YTV being frustrated with Funimation not sending them episodes on time. We know the westwood dub was a rush job so with Funimation out of the picture AB could very conveniently sell their dub to YTV. As I said being Canadian content could have been an afterthought for DB and DBGT since they had fully cast and written Canadian dubbed episodes from the get-go, but when you consider the fact Canada didn't get the westwood dub until the later Cell arc the full Z dub that aired on YTV had more American content than Canadian. Its also worth noting the early episodes of the westwood dub never aired in Canada, despite being produced there.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I know our resident optimist Robo4900 will probably have words of wisdom on why I'm wrong here
You know me all too well. :lol:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:but since Funimation has had the home video rights to Dragon Ball in North America since 1995 I would think a similar deal was established for streaming. The UK is a possibility because while Funimation's dubs are ultimately released on DVD and Blu-Ray MangaUK is the licence holder so its ultimately their decision which dub they sublicence. Jerome deactivated his Twitter but he is still on Facebook, so it wouldn't hurt to talk him into looking at Ocean Kai, but if his previous responses on Twitter are anything to go by getting an alternate dub could take some convincing. Granted its still Funimation's product, but if we get a UK version of Rock the Dragon that may help by gauging how well a set with a different cast sells in this market.
Funimation own the home video rights in North America. Except, Kidmark still owned Dragon Ball's first season and movie until 2009, so I don't think it's that simple...
But, assuming this was just a one-off case where it was sub-licensed from Funi or something, and that Funimation do indeed completely control the home video market in the US and Canada, the same would not apply to streaming. Funimation have monopolised North American Dragon Ball releases because, it seems, they're the only ones with the license to actually put the home releases out, so naturally, they only want to use their in-house dub. If a separate place(Discotek, for example. Let's not dwell on that, just an example) had the rights to put the releases out, it's possible they could be convinced to put an alternate dub on the DVDs too, but as it is, Funimation control the US and Canadian releases, because they're the ones who put out the DVDs, Blu-Rays, etc.

But, streaming isn't like that, streaming is like TV; a streaming service has to purchase a license to put a show or movie up, so Funimation can't have some kind of monopoly on streaming. Granted, no one would take a Canadian dub in the US unless it was the old Saban Ocean dub as a special bonus alongside the rest of it or something -- they would only want the version that US fans are used to.
But, in Canada, it's entirely possible a streaming service could grab any of the Canadian dubs that has an attainable license. Ocean Kai wrapped production in 2014, by which time streaming was becoming very big, so it's entirely possible they recorded material for an uncut version too(Kirbopher said much earlier in the thread that uncut and cut dubbing were both considered; no word on which was chosen, but it's possible they did both, to allow for the best chances of streaming services picking up the uncut version, and TV stations picking up the cut version. Given the fact people involved have talked about "Maybe we'll do a boxset" and such, perhaps they did do both; let's not dwell on that, we won't know either way until it's out, at which point we can ask the actors about certain cut/censored pieces in the TV version, assuming it's cut), in which case, a Canadian streaming service like Netflix could very well grab it; streaming services like Netflix tend to only grab uncut anime, and while exceptions happen for Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokémon, and Digimon, they'd be unlikely to make a special case for Kai without a massive outpouring of fan support for it.

If we assume Ocean Kai is cut, then if enough buzz was gathered for it, I think Ocean Kai could still end up on a streaming service like Netflix in Canada, the UK, or anywhere else that takes English content where Dragon Ball isn't totally dominated by Funimation like the US and Australia. It'd take a real outpouring of support, though, so I think the thing to do is to try to do everything we can to make it work on Wow Unlimited(Spread the word, post clips and trailers online, do everything you can to drum up buzz to get people watching it on Wow Unlimited in Canada), then if it ends up popular, then we can try putting together campaigns to get Netflix Canada, etc. to pick it up.

But, as I say, it probably needs to do well on Wow first. We fans looking forward to it airing are passionate, but I think we lack the numbers necessary to get a successful campaign to get it streaming off the ground. For that, we'll need it to snowball on TV in Canada first.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:37 pm

The only anime that has run on English CBC was an edited (for time) cut of Spirited Away more than a decade ago. They aren't like SBS in Australia. Anime isn't on their radar.

Funimation does own Canadian streaming rights. I can watch DB, Z, GT and Super on their website. I can't watch Kai, but that's because it's not on Funimation's website at all. I suspect either Hulu or Toonami have superseded their ability to stream it in the US and they didn't care to put it up just for us. Canada is a small territory. It is almost never separated in licensing deals (outside of maybe French Canada). There is certainly the opportunity to bring Dragon Ball to a more mainstream streaming platform in Canada, but Netflix is unlikely to be it. If they're going to do anything Canada-specific, it's going to have to be part of a larger programming deal (ie, this company pledges on delivering ___ hours of programming to the service). I don't think you're going to see Dragon Ball in a bundle.

I actually do think streaming rights could hurt our ability to finally get this Kai dub. You see, Wow Unlimited isn't just buying programming for their linear TV channel. They're also acquiring the rights to stream shows on CraveTV and SnackableTV, two local streaming services. CraveTV is actually in more homes than their TV channel will be. If they can't get the legal clearance to run this dub online, I suspect they'll probably just opt for Funimation's.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:The reason why Kelamis quit voicing Goku was because he was often busy working in LA.
Scsigs wrote:Right, I think I remember someone mentioning that pages back in this thread, since he has homes in both Canada & LA.
Corlett has a house in LA, not sure about Kelamis.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:I actually do think streaming rights could hurt our ability to finally get this Kai dub. You see, Wow Unlimited isn't just buying programming for their linear TV channel. They're also acquiring the rights to stream shows on CraveTV and SnackableTV, two local streaming services. CraveTV is actually in more homes than their TV channel will be. If they can't get the legal clearance to run this dub online, I suspect they'll probably just opt for Funimation's.
I must say, you're really selling Marni and Wow! short here. I mean, when Teletoon or let's even say YTV back in the day, can't/couldn't get on-demand clearance for a show they've acquired, they would still air it on their linear TV network, they didn't give up on it. And in the situation they've put themselves in, getting FUNimation's dub would be exactly the same as not acquiring the series at all, since they've already given us a verbal agreement in acquiring Ocean's dub. They, or at least she knows how disappointed all of us will be if she stabs us in the back on this. Now, if a Toei interference comes into play, different story, but I don't think she's as inconsiderate as to acquire FUNimation's dub just so they can stream it online, she already knows the weight that the Ocean Group dub holds.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Teletoon and YTV are both in millions of households. A show can easily be profitable simply by airing on the linear channel. Comedy Gold is in about a tenth the homes that get Teletoon. The economics aren't the same. Wow's programming is going to have to play nice on streaming platforms.

If I'm coming across as pessimistic, it's only because I don't want people to get disappointed. Marni knowing we want the show doesn't mean Marni's got the show. I'm also kind of afraid she might not fully understand the difference between the versions of the series. I don't think she's a Dragon Ball fan, so it would be really easy for a lot of what we've said to just mean nothing to her. Of course, we tried pointing her in the direction of Ocean, which should hopefully have put her on the right path, but we just don't know.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 pm

I know Marni might not be a Dragon Ball fan and some are assuming the same problems will spring up that always do with folks behind the scenes not understanding the product or the fan base.

But gotta hand it to her, I can't put a face to many of those people, let alone a twitter account, let alone an account were they reply to fans and share their enthusiasm etc. She seems way more approachable and perceptive than is the norm. Also, her twitter bio said something about being a binge watcher and 'aspiring cool mom' or something (that stuck in my head cause it was quite funny).

I gather she is eager to please potential customers and between the lost wiki page and comments from fans about the Ocean dub, I think she is smart enough to not end up pursuing Funimstion's dub by mistake.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 pm

She strikes me as a generally nice person, and she seems to have her head screwed on, so I think the best thing to do is to just trust her.
She was asked, and she did specifically say that she will attempt to get the version recorded by Ocean, with Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil, et al. in it. So, I think we should have faith that this will turn out okay. It's out of our hands either way. No point in getting stressed about something you can't do a thing about, right?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

EnergizerConvoy wrote:You know Paul Dobson would work as Roshi considering he does a solid old man voice.
I'd rather have an actual old man doing the voice. What bugs me about Roshi's English VA's is how they're clearly voiced by people who aren't old at all and are instructed by their voice director to do the best stereotypical old man voice they can muster. I can't fathom how anyone can hear McFarland's Roshi and think: "Wow, this guy sounds like an actual old man". I'd like to see some examples of old men that sound like McFarland's Roshi because I can't think of an old man that sounds high-pitched.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd rather have an actual old man doing the voice. What bugs me about Roshi's English VA's is how they're clearly voiced by people who aren't old at all and are instructed by their voice director to do the best stereotypical old man voice they can muster. I can't fathom how anyone can hear McFarland's Roshi and think: "Wow, this guy sounds like an actual old man". I'd like to see some examples of old men that sound like McFarland's Roshi because I can't think of an old man that sounds high-pitched.
McFarland's Roshi is a fun, goofy voice, but yeah, admittedly, he isn't very old man-like. Still, I think he's the best Roshi we've had so far. Though I'm also quite fond of the Blue Water one too.

Perhaps French Tickner could be a good one for Ocean Kai?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd rather have an actual old man doing the voice. What bugs me about Roshi's English VA's is how they're clearly voiced by people who aren't old at all and are instructed by their voice director to do the best stereotypical old man voice they can muster. I can't fathom how anyone can hear McFarland's Roshi and think: "Wow, this guy sounds like an actual old man". I'd like to see some examples of old men that sound like McFarland's Roshi because I can't think of an old man that sounds high-pitched.
McFarland's Roshi is a fun, goofy voice, but yeah, admittedly, he isn't very old man-like. Still, I think he's the best Roshi we've had so far. Though I'm also quite fond of the Blue Water one too.

Perhaps French Tickner could be a good one for Ocean Kai?
Yeah. Honestly, he'd be the best Roshi ever.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:44 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah. Honestly, he'd be the best Roshi ever.
Haha. I don't know about that, but he'd certainly be good. I do wonder who Ocean hired for the role. I believe Tickner does still voice act, so it's entirely possible he was at least auditioned for the role.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:05 am

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Yeah. Honestly, he'd be the best Roshi ever.
Haha. I don't know about that, but he'd certainly be good. I do wonder who Ocean hired for the role. I believe Tickner does still voice act, so it's entirely possible he was at least auditioned for the role.
I have no doubts that he'd be much better than McFarland, who never really fit the role that well.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Not expecting anything but at the same time I'll probably be disappointed because I'll end up comparing to the original Ocean Dub run which was quite simply, a masterpiece. But regardless, Ocean Dub Kai will be a must-see for me as a Kai/Ocean fan.

I would have loved so much if Peter Kelamis had voiced Son Goku in Kai but no biggie.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Not expecting anything but at the same time I'll probably be disappointed because I'll end up comparing to the original Ocean Dub run which was quite simply, a masterpiece. But regardless, Ocean Dub Kai will be a must-see for me as a Kai/Ocean fan.

I would have loved so much if Peter Kelamis had voiced Son Goku in Kai but no biggie.
I mean, I wouldn't call the original run a masterpiece. The acting was probably the best we've had in a Dragon Ball dub, especially in the case of the Pioneer movie dubs, but the scripts were messy, and the editing was iffy at times.

I'm sure the new guy will be awesome. :)
8000 Saiyan wrote:I have no doubts that he'd be much better than McFarland, who never really fit the role that well.
I think McFarland works fine. He's not perfect, but he's good.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I mean, I wouldn't call the original run a masterpiece. The acting was probably the best we've had in a Dragon Ball dub, especially in the case of the Pioneer movie dubs, but the scripts were messy, and the editing was iffy at times.
The accuracy wasn't really something that bothered me, the quality voice-acting was the priority there and they nailed it. Peter Kelamis on DBZ Movie 2 is just effin incredible!
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:The accuracy wasn't really something that bothered me, the quality voice-acting was the priority there and they nailed it. Peter Kelamis on DBZ Movie 2 is just effin incredible!
Indeed. Fair enough.

Well, in theory, we should be able to get both great accuracy and great acting this time around. :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:Not expecting anything but at the same time I'll probably be disappointed because I'll end up comparing to the original Ocean Dub run which was quite simply, a masterpiece. But regardless, Ocean Dub Kai will be a must-see for me as a Kai/Ocean fan.

I mean, I wouldn't call the original run a masterpiece. The acting was probably the best we've had in a Dragon Ball dub, especially in the case of the Pioneer movie dubs, but the scripts were messy, and the editing was iffy at times.

I'm sure the new guy will be awesome. :)
Remember that guy who didn't mind Funimation's cartoony voices but hated Ocean's? He blamed Ocean for writing those scripts, when only they really were following Funimation and Saban's guidelines. It's not like they intentionally butchered the scripts.

If there's one thing that annoys me about Funimation fanboys is how they act as if Ocean are a bunch of little devils who ruin everything they touch and that Funimation is full of angels.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:[
Remember that guy who didn't mind Funimation's cartoony voices but hated Ocean's? He blamed Ocean for writing those scripts, when only they really were following Funimation and Saban's guidelines. It's not like they intentionally butchered the scripts.
Also Funimation wrote the scripts. Like if you watch their uncut dub and then watch the edited dub a lot of the lines are line for line the same. Barry Watson in some old interview that got reprinted in DBZ Uncensored referred to them as their writers. Any dialog you don't like from the Rock the Dragon era is Funimation. Pretty much everything good about the old dub was either Ocean cast (the voice acting) or Wasserman (the music). You can blame heavy censorship on Saban entertainment (which in turn was at least partially because of all the backlash MMPR got from moral guardians to the point of getting outright banned in some countries) and the dialog of Funimation.
If there's one thing that annoys me about Funimation fanboys is how they act as if Ocean are a bunch of little devils who ruin everything they touch and that Funimation is full of angels.
Funimation fanboy are the worst. Especially since before Battle of the Gods there was two things Funimation did right. The Dragon Ball dub in 2000 and Dragon Ball Kai. Neither of which gets appreciated by FUNImentalist.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Funimation fanboy are the worst. Especially since before Battle of the Gods there was two things Funimation did right. The Dragon Ball dub in 2000 and Dragon Ball Kai. Neither of which gets appreciated by FUNImentalist.
The 2001 Dragon Ball dub was a mess, but it was definitely a step in the right direction, and it's the first time Funimation did a Dragon Ball dub that functions as a perfectly serviceable dub.
But, make no mistake, it's not something they did right, it's something they did less wrong than their previous dubs.
Kai was something they did right, definitely. It has its flaws, but yeah, overall it's a good dub.

Let's not bash whole fanbases, though; much as hardcore, diehard, Faulconerite, Funi fanboys who bash Ocean, Kai, and in general anything that isn't Faulconer DBZ(And yet they seem to be fine with Ultimate Uncut Z 1-67, and all the redubs and US soundtrack rearrangements from 68-291...) are some of the worst fans to deal with, not all Funi fans are like that, they're just a loud, annoying minority.
Let's just let that slide; to quote one of my favourite Rush songs, "All that you can do is with them well."