Tales from the Daizenshuu

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:They're psychic powers-- must they make sense?
Yes. Since they could only be transferred from the alien to Bardock via touch, and Bardock never touches Goku, you're wrong. Image

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:26 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: I've got all the text up from that Piccolo scan. I had to move around the screencaps from that bottom green box, so the captions won't look so squished (curse Japan writing text from top to bottom!). I'm just waiting for Toriyama Boss to put up the translation from that red box at the top and the little caption thing next to "Variety of DB" and that skinny blue box.
I think I can handle it, at least until he does.

The caption next to “Variety of DB” is just “Variety of DB” written out in katakana.

The text in the dark red circle inside the red box says “Anime Edition”

The text of the red box itself runs, roughly: “New stories that produced character models for the Dragon Ball anime! Printed in mooks* and anime comics, they introduced stories that were not related on TV.”

*a ‘mook’ is, according to Jim Breen’s online dictionary, a “thick illustrated publication on a single topic printed to look like a magazine”, the idea being that it’s a cross between a magazine and a book. I’d assume that the mooks referred to are the two Dragon Ball Z Anime Specials.

The skinny blue box says: “Piccolo Segment: In the Name of Piccolo Daimaou”

I’m not sure exactly what the best way to translate “編” is, but ‘segment’ probably gets the right sense across.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:01 am

Are you comfortable? Did you bring a drink? Good, let's begin then!

Daizenshuu 7: Dragon Ball Great Encyclopedia
or
Everything That Has Ever Existed in the Entire History of the Entire World Translated into Japanese and Put into Convenient Dragon Ball Guidebook Form

OK, this one broke me. Some of the contents of this daizenshuu:

• a character dictionary that includes every character in the manga, anime series, movies, and TV specials

• an item dictionary with every item used in the series

• a dictionary of all attacks, with an index for who uses them

• a location dictionary with every place in the manga, anime, movies, and TV specials

• a guide to what appears to be every single piece of Dragon Ball merchandise that existed when this daizenshuu was printed, including tankoubon, school supplies, video games, movies on VHS, a globe (?!) and the daizenshuu themselves. There’s pictures of all this stuff too

• a…numbers guide. They give, in numerical order, a list of numbers mentioned in the series. So you can look up ‘5’, and see that that’s how many seconds Taopaipai said it would take him to kill Goku, and how many tons Dr. Briefs said Vegeta would weigh in 300x Earth’s gravity (these particular examples are from memory and might not be completely accurate, but this is the sort of thing they have here).

• a random phrase guide…thing. It includes stuff like “The Grim Reaper of Justice!” (SSJ3 Gotenks’ self description) or “He’s the idiot champion of the world!” (Vegeta’s description of Mr. Satan at the Cell Games) or “I wonder if he’s an alien?...” (Oolong’s remark after Goku’s Oozaru transformation, which of course turned out to be completely correct). A really weird addition, but kind of interesting.

• a guide to some of the differences between the manga and anime, including descriptions of some interesting (i.e. non-staring contest) anime-only scenes, such as the naming of Gohan scene from before the Cell Games.

I didn’t take notes on any of that. I only had four days for my Thanksgiving break, and I needed to save some time for other activities, such as bathing.

So what did I take notes on? The first few sections of Daizenshuu 7, which include a timeline, an in-depth guide to the Dragon Ball world, and a dictionary of terms used in the series, such as ‘ki’, ‘Super Saiyan’, and the like. Just from this I ended up with plenty of notes.

Timeline
The very first thing in Daizenshuu 7 is the timeline, which gives the exact dates for the major events of the series and the series’ back story, all using the Dragon World’s unique calendar. The timeline was translated by Greg Werner way back in the day and spread around the internet by the army of people who shamelessly stole stuff from him, so its contents are fairly common knowledge (Greg blended together the timeline from Daizenshuu 7 with one from the Dragon Ball GT Perfect Files books, so his site’s timeline also contains some GT-related events).

However, there was one thing here that even Greg never figured out, and neither can I: shortly after Gohan’s birth, in 759-760, the timeline says the Goku was interviewed by Weekly Shounen Jump. What is this referring to? My only guess is that Shounen Jump must have printed some kind of in-character interview with Goku, similar to how the SBS sections in One Piece’s tankoubon sometimes contain segments that Oda writes as a certain character. But if anyone has any more information on this, please let me know.

While Greg’s site was and is one of the best Dragon Ball websites around, and he’s definitely my hero as far as Dragon Ball fandom goes, his timeline translation does contain several mistakes. The biggest one is that he translates ‘エイジ’ as ‘A.D.’. ‘エイジ’ is actually just the English word ‘age’ written out in katakana (the Japanese name for the computer game Age of Empires, for instance, is “エイジ オブ エンパイア シリーズ”). The actual way that the years of the Western calendar are written out in Japanese is as 西暦○○年or 紀元○○年, or simply ○○年, with the year number replacing the circles (I got all this from the Japanese Wikipedia).

Dictionary of Terms

OK, so I’m going to harp on this ‘Age isn’t A.D.’ topic some more. In the dictionary of terms there are entries for both the Age calendar and the Western, A.D. calendar (Age on p.44, Western on p.47, if I’m reading my notes right). It says that most places use the Age calendar, but there are still some places that use the Western calendar, such as Penguin Village (this is in reference to the fact that Dr. Slump did occasionally refer to the actual year while it was running in Jump).

In the entry for galaxy (p.44), it says that there is a galactic police squad, but that they’re not much good against Freeza or the Saiyans (presumably because they’re staffed by people like Mihoshi).

I mentioned this in my post on Daizenshuu 4, put the entry for Demon Clan (‘mazoku’, p.50) here does again establish that Piccolo Daimaou is a genuine demon.

In the entry for the Kaioushin Realm (p.45), it says that the Kaioushin Realm is 1/10th the size as the rest of the cosmos (which it orbits).

The entry for kiri (Babidi’s unit of measuring energy) is on p.46. It’s taken straight from the dialogue in the manga, so it’s useful but nothing revolutionary. Still, I owe Toriyama Boss a scan of this…

The Big Blocks of Text Pages (I can’t remember what this part is actually called)

These pages go really in-depth on the Dragon Ball world, its universe, and its cosmos. On p.37 it explains the whole system of gods, the afterlife, and everything. It says that while the gods for each planet themselves are chosen from among the inhabitants of each planet, their assistants come from the Other World. This means (and it explicitly says this) that Karin and Mr. Popo are originally from the Other World, not Earth.

This page goes on to say that the purpose of a planet having a god is so that the god can watch over the planet’s sentient life. An additional purpose is so that the god might guide immature sentient lifeforms in order to help them grow and achieve maximum happiness. This would all seem to imply that a planet with no life, or even one with only non-sentient life, would have no god. It doesn’t directly say this, though.

Gods also serve the function of approving people on their planet for training after death under the appropriate Kaiou.

It also says here (still on p.37) that while the lower Kaiou watch over the living world, the Kaioushin watch over the Other World as well as the living world. This might be part of the answer to what purpose the Kaioushin serve. Many people wonder about this, since having both a Kaiou and a Kaioushin for every galaxy seems…redundantly redundant. But if they watch over the Other World as well, they are doing a job that nobody else is doing. This makes sense in light of the Kaioushin Realm’s location, completely separate from the rest of the cosmos.

On p.39, it contains diagrams showing the relationship of the three main cultures (Earthling, Saiyan, and Namekian) with the rest of the universe. Saiyans of course went around conquering other planets, while Earthlings don’t interact with them at all. However, the Namekians are interesting in that while they apparently used to deal with other planets, once possessing spaceships and still knowing about Saiyans and the existence of aliens in general, they apparently stopped by the time of the main story. The daizenshuu says that they used to trade with other planets, but stopped after the cataclysm that only left Saichourou and Kami.

On p.41 it deals with religion. It says that while Christianity and Buddhism exist on the Dragon Ball Earth, most people are completely unaware of the existence of the true god, being of course Kami. I love how they phrase it that way, calling Kami the ‘true god’. You know, Christianity and Buddhism are a bunch of hooey; the REAL religion is Green Slugman-ism. If Viz ever translate this book, I guarantee that line isn’t remaining the same.

Anyway, how do we know the Dragon Ball Earth has Christianity and Buddhism? Well, for Buddhism Daizenshuu 7 includes in its terms dictionary the Buddhist chant “Namu Amida Butsu” (p.48), which Namu says when using his cross attack on Goku ( it’s the same chant he gets his name from; Viz changed it to “In the name of the Buddha”, or something like that). The entry notes that Namu’s knowledge of this chant reveals that Buddhism exists on Dragon Ball Earth. While it doesn’t say so, presumably similar logic was used to determine the existence of Christianity (“What are you doing?” “I’m a cross!”).

The daizenshuu goes on to say (back on p.41) that for the Saiyans, their god was the Super Saiyan. For Namekians, their ‘god’ was Polunga, but since Saichourou had created Polunga, that made him, like, their Super-God or something. So it says that for Namekians, religion was more a matter of filial piety towards Saichourou.

On p.42 it goes over major races. That damn Three Eyed Clan pops up again. It lists the Three Eyed Clan as being one of the races that appear in the manga, along with Saiyans and Namekians. The logic here is that since, according to the daizenshuu, Tenshinhan is a descendent of the Three Eyed Clan, and he appeared in the manga, then the Three Eyed Clan are in the manga. But of course the name itself wasn’t mentioned in the manga, unless I’m missing something major. Anyway, as you can see, the daizenshuu are very insistent on the idea the Tenshinhan is a descendent of the Three Eyed Clan. It’s not just some random mistake on one page. Take that as you will.

Coming off of that topic might not be the best time to mention what I think is the most bizzare line in all the daizenshuu, but that’s what’s next on my notes. On p.43 it goes over languages. It notes that from the manga there are two languages we see: Namekian and, well, the language everyone else uses. However, it goes on to say that since Sauzer, the genius of Planet Brenchi, knows over 7,000 languages, then there must be at least that many.

…what the?...

Um, well…Sauzer’s mad language skills aren’t mentioned in DBZ Movie 6, and they’re also not even mentioned in his bio in the character guide in this daizenshuu; same thing for his being from Planet Brenchi. I guess this is just some background information on him that wasn’t included in the movie, but the fact that it’s not mentioned anywhere else is kind of odd.

This part of the daizenshuu has some statistics I mentioned in my post of Daizenshuu 4. It says that 1% of earthlings are half-breeds with some other race, 7% are monster-type, 17% are animal-type, and that 75% are the regular human-type. I didn’t mention this before (I didn’t notice), but it gives these statistics as being from Age 784, which would be around the end of the series. It also gives the Namekian as being composed 86% Dragon Clan Namekians and 14% Warrior Type Namekians. This is from Age 762, before Freeza attacked Namek.

Wrap Up
I’ll also mention here for completion’s sake another thing I mentioned earlier, which is that the foldout for this daizenshuu, which has a picture of every even remotely important characters from the manga, lists Ultimate Gohan as ‘Super Son Gohan’, with the ‘super’ part really the kanji ‘chou’ given the reading for the English word ‘super’.
I’ll end by mentioning one thing from the character guide, which I said I wouldn’t cover, but whatever. Freeza’s bio lists his species as being a Transformable Alien Lifeform (変身可能な宇宙生物). Compare this to Daizenshuu 4, which lists him and Zarbon as both being Transforming-Type Aliens (変身型宇宙人).

With that, I finish my brief run-through of Daizenshuu 7. That means I’ve finished with all the daizenshuu. Yeah!
Last edited by Herms on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:25 am

In the words of Ocean Dub Jeice after Recoome kicked Vegeta into the water.

Hey [Herms], you rock!

testing223
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by testing223 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:39 am

Herms wrote:On p.41 it deals with religion. It says that while Christianity and Buddhism exist on the Dragon Ball Earth, most people are completely unaware of the existence of the true god, being of course Kami. I love how they phrase it that way, calling Kami the ‘true god’. You know, Christianity and Buddhism are a bunch of hooey; the REAL religion is Green Slugman-ism. If Viz ever translate this book, I guarantee that line isn’t remaining the same.
Hahahaha, that's awesome.

If that was printed here, Viz's offices would be firebombed and DBZ banned in several states.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:59 am

Herms wrote:• a dictionary of all attacks, with an index for who uses them
Is this from the manga only, or does it include attacks that were seen in the anime, and possibly even movies? (I know you didn't take notes, but you may have at least skimmed through it?) Just curious. The answer to this question may be one of the deciding factors of me actually buying these. I'm still struggling with myself on that issue.
Herms wrote:It says that while the gods for each planet themselves are chosen from among the inhabitants of each planet, their assistants come from the Other World. This means (and it explicitly says this) that Karin and Mr. Popo are originally from the Other World, not Earth.
Spectacular. This is the kind of stuff I craved out of this topic. "New info" that you would not know about, had you only watched the anime and read the manga. That's very interesting to discover.
Herms wrote:However, the Namekians are interesting in that while they apparently used to deal with other planets, once possessing spaceships and still knowing about Saiyans and the existence of aliens in general, they apparently stopped by the time of the main story. The daizenshuu says that they used to trade with other planets, but stopped after the cataclysm that only left Saichourou and Kami.
That's something I always gathered from the manga/anime alone. They had to have once been an advanced, space-faring people, since Kami came to Earth on a Namekian spaceship that happened to be uber super fast compared to Earth technology. Also Saichoro did know what Saiyans were, and even knew the Super Saiyan legend. Also, later in the Buu saga, Dende knew exactly who "Metamorians" (I'm unsure if that's the proper name of them) were. When Goku first started talking about Fusion, Dende was all like "Fusion? You mean the metamorian fusion?" and Goku was like "yep." So those Namekians were no slouches.
Herms wrote:However, it goes on to say that since Sauzer, the genius of Planet Brenchi, knows over 7,000 languages, then there must be at least that many.

…what the?...

Um, well…Sauzer’s mad language skills aren’t mentioned in DBZ Movie 6, and they’re also not even mentioned in his bio in the character guide in this daizenshuu; same thing for his being from Planet Brenchi. I guess this is just some background information on him that wasn’t included in the movie, but the fact that it’s not mentioned anywhere else is kind of odd.
That.. is odd. As well as being hillariously funny. Maybe they just decided they wanted to attatch that little "factoid" to one of the alien characters, and basically threw a dart at a dart board with names on it, in order to decide. That's what it seems like to me.

Speaking of Sauzer, I know that in Sparking Meteor, aka Tenkaichi 3, when you read his character profile it mentions that he's from the same Star System as Zarbon, and that he fought Captain Ginyu for the right to lead Cooler's Armored Squadron. That isn't from the Daizenshuu, is it? And again, if it isn't, where in the heck is Spike getting this stuff from? :shock:

Anyway, I wouldn't take that bit about Freeza being a "transforming-type alien" thing to mean that's litteraly what his species is called, nor that Zarbon is a member of that species. I'd say it's more like that is just a group name that many different species could be classified as, in an "animal Kindgdoms" sense? Maybe? Anyway thank you for sharing all of this information.

EDIT: I was just reminded of something else I wanted to comment on. I find it very strange that the Daizenshuu refer to Namekian "civilians" as the "dragon clan." Unless VIZ was way off in that chapter, I thought Saichoro says that the reason Piccolo should not have died to Saiyans is that he's "a true scion of the Dragon Clan". This makes it seem to me like this "Dragon Clan" is a super elite group of Namekians? Also I thought I remember Muri saying something during the Cell Saga that Dende can make Dragonballs because he's a member of the Dragon Clan. Well if the Daiz is saying that the Namekians who weren't warrior type were "Dragon Clan", then that means practically everyone on Namek could have made their own Dragonballs? I'm not sure about that one, personally.
Last edited by FindKenshi on Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:07 am

Herms wrote: For instance, DBZ Movie 3 was shown with animated adaptations of Pink and Kenosuke-sama, both one-shot manga by Toriyama (p.68).
Wait, what? Are these available somewhere? I'd love to see them.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:32 am

It also gives the Namekian as being composed 76% Dragon Clan Namekians and 14% Warrior Type Namekians. This is from Age 762, before Freeza attacked Namek.
76% + 14% = 90%... Where's the other 10% of Namekians? o.o

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:26 am

FindKenshi wrote:Speaking of Sauzer, I know that in Sparking Meteor, aka Tenkaichi 3, when you read his character profile it mentions that he's from the same Star System as Zarbon
Same star system as Jees, actually, I believe.
and that he fought Captain Ginyu for the right to lead Cooler's Armored Squadron. That isn't from the Daizenshuu, is it? And again, if it isn't, where in the heck is Spike getting this stuff from? :shock:
It looks like Coora's henchmen got a lot of (extraneous) background info, compared to other movie villains. These tidbits were first revealed in Weekly Jump, right before the movie opened (and I would think that's also the source for that thing about Thouser's language skills).

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
FindKenshi wrote:Speaking of Sauzer, I know that in Sparking Meteor, aka Tenkaichi 3, when you read his character profile it mentions that he's from the same Star System as Zarbon
and that he fought Captain Ginyu for the right to lead Cooler's Armored Squadron. That isn't from the Daizenshuu, is it? And again, if it isn't, where in the heck is Spike getting this stuff from? :shock:
It looks like Coora's henchmen got a lot of (extraneous) background info, compared to other movie villains. These tidbits were first revealed in Weekly Jump, right before the movie opened (and I would think that's also the source for that thing about Thouser's language skills).
You're right, it was Jheese. So, Jump magazine also had "extra tidbits" of info. (I assume these weren't included in the Daizenshuu, or anything else) It seems that even though Dragonball ended in the mid 90's there's still so much you can learn about it every day. :shock:

They should just make an "Ultra, Mega, Super-God Book" or something, that complies every single guide book, every single .. everything, lol even compiles fanfics and people's intagible ideas and.. ok ok, I get it. It's impossible.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:37 am

FindKenshi wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:
You're right, it was Jheese. So, Jump magazine also had "extra tidbits" of info. (I assume these weren't included in the Daizenshuu, or anything else) It seems that even though Dragonball ended in the mid 90's there's still so much you can learn about it every day. :shock:

They should just make an "Ultra, Mega, Super-God Book" or something, that complies every single guide book, every single .. everything, lol even compiles fanfics and people's intagible ideas and.. ok ok, I get it. It's impossible.
Not impossible at all :P.
At least what I want is to have it in English...

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:26 am

Herms wrote:As an example of this, the daizenshuu shows the panel where Kaiou is explaining how he’s powerless to help them bring Kuririn back to life, since it’s outside his zone. This implies that Namek wasn’t in the northern galaxy.
Hmmm, I always figured that Kaio meant that he couldn't bring people back to life and transfer their spirits and so on (this being Enma's responsibility). On the other hand, even Kami can control who keeps his body or not... meh.
It's all GOOD

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Terra-jin wrote:Hmmm, I always figured that Kaio meant that he couldn't bring people back to life and transfer their spirits and so on (this being Enma's responsibility).
Nope, the Japanese line makes it clear it's an "area" thing.

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Wow, Thank you Herms( Your hard work is appreciated)!:)

When I come back This evening, I will translate more scans!
Herms wrote:So what did I take notes on? The first few sections of Daizenshuu 7, which include a timeline, an in-depth guide to the Dragon Ball world, and a dictionary of terms used in the series, such as ‘ki’, ‘Super Saiyan’, and the like. Just from this I ended up with plenty of notes!
As fans, after watching/reading Dragonball, many of us were left with unanswered questions. I have a few questions of my own, If you mind answering them Herms?

Is "ki" a manifestation of an individual's aura (or spirit) Or is it simply just energy, like everyone says.?

Now concerning all THREE of the Super Saiya-jin stages, does it ever define the strength of these stages? I know the Super Saiya-jin is a huge amount of energy and a very big system. It would be neat to see what the Daizenshuu says about it's strength.

Incidentally, How much energy is needed to increase the number of transformations?

Thank you Herms. Sorry for asking you so many questions. You already did MORE than enough with the Daizneshuu summaries. :)

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:29 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:
It also gives the Namekian as being composed 76% Dragon Clan Namekians and 14% Warrior Type Namekians. This is from Age 762, before Freeza attacked Namek.
76% + 14% = 90%... Where's the other 10% of Namekians? o.o
Sorry, typo. That should have been 86% and 14%. I've fixed it now.
FindKenshi wrote:
Herms wrote:• a dictionary of all attacks, with an index for who uses them
Is this from the manga only, or does it include attacks that were seen in the anime, and possibly even movies? (I know you didn't take notes, but you may have at least skimmed through it?) Just curious. The answer to this question may be one of the deciding factors of me actually buying these. I'm still struggling with myself on that issue.
All of the dictionary things I mentioned (character, attack, item, place) contain things from both the manga and anime, including the movies. Entries that are for anime-only things are marked with a star shape to distinguish them from things in the original story.
FindKenshi wrote: Anyway, I wouldn't take that bit about Freeza being a "transforming-type alien" thing to mean that's litteraly what his species is called, nor that Zarbon is a member of that species. I'd say it's more like that is just a group name that many different species could be classified as, in an "animal Kindgdoms" sense? Maybe? Anyway thank you for sharing all of this information.
Yeah, it's obviously just a classification for the type of alien he is. I hope it didn't seem like I was saying that was his species' name or anything.
FindKenshi wrote: EDIT: I was just reminded of something else I wanted to comment on. I find it very strange that the Daizenshuu refer to Namekian "civilians" as the "dragon clan." Unless VIZ was way off in that chapter, I thought Saichoro says that the reason Piccolo should not have died to Saiyans is that he's "a true scion of the Dragon Clan". This makes it seem to me like this "Dragon Clan" is a super elite group of Namekians? Also I thought I remember Muri saying something during the Cell Saga that Dende can make Dragonballs because he's a member of the Dragon Clan. Well if the Daiz is saying that the Namekians who weren't warrior type were "Dragon Clan", then that means practically everyone on Namek could have made their own Dragonballs? I'm not sure about that one, personally.
I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the manga that there are only two type of Namekians, and that they are the Dragon Clan and Warrior Type. So yeah, any Namekian who isn't a Warrior Type is a Dragon Clan Namekian. Does this mean they can all make Dragon Balls? Well, I didn't take notes on this, but I believe that the answer is yes, at least potentially. I think this is also the conclusion you would reach from the manga. Saichourou was able to transfer his 'connection' to the Namekian Dragon Balls to Muuri, who later upgraded their power on his own, and it was said that ther reason Dende could make Dragon Balls was because he was a Dragon Clan Namekian. But remember how proud Piccolo was of Dende when he managed to remake the Earth's Dragon Balls? I think that even though all Dragon Clan Namekians can make them in theory, it's still something that takes a lot of skill and practice.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm

Alright, I've got almost everything ready for that Piccolo scan (and even included that little sidenote on the term "mook"). I just need the translation on that caption to the left of the skinny blue box.

I'm gonna start making that Vegeta scan translation-ready, while I'm at it.

Awesome run-down on all the Daizenshuu, Herms.
Herms wrote:On p.41 it deals with religion. It says that while Christianity and Buddhism exist on the Dragon Ball Earth, most people are completely unaware of the existence of the true god, being of course Kami. I love how they phrase it that way, calling Kami the ‘true god’. You know, Christianity and Buddhism are a bunch of hooey; the REAL religion is Green Slugman-ism.
Forget scientology; Green Slugman-ism's where it's at!
FindKenshi wrote:They should just make an "Ultra, Mega, Super-God Book" or something, that complies every single guide book, every single .. everything, lol even compiles fanfics and people's intagible ideas and.. ok ok, I get it. It's impossible.
I've said it on the forums before-- if they were to ever make some kind of updated Daizenshuu, it'd be on some kind of CD-ROM thing (or whatever the equivalent to that is nowadays...).
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:34 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Alright, I've got almost everything ready for that Piccolo scan (and even included that little sidenote on the term "mook"). I just need the translation on that caption to the left of the skinny blue box.
"From Weekly Shounen Jump Special Edition: 'Dragon Ball Z Anime Special' (Shueisha Publishing)"

I don't know how to type those little brackets they have around "Dragon Ball Z Anime Special", so I just wrote them as '.
DaemonCorps wrote: Awesome run-down on all the Daizenshuu, Herms.
Thank you, I'm glad people are enjoying them. Of course, I would have liked to give a summary of the soft-cover daizenshuu, but I don't have them.
Toriyama Boss wrote: As fans, after watching/reading Dragonball, many of us were left with unanswered questions. I have a few questions of my own, If you mind answering them Herms?

Is "ki" a manifestation of an individual's aura (or spirit) Or is it simply just energy, like everyone says.?
I...don't know. There is an entry for 'ki' in the terms dictionary in Daizenshuu 7, and I did read it, but I'm having trouble remembering just what it said. Sorry.
Toriyama Boss wrote: Now concerning all THREE of the Super Saiya-jin stages, does it ever define the strength of these stages? I know the Super Saiya-jin is a huge amount of energy and a very big system. It would be neat to see what the Daizenshuu says about it's strength.
Other than the fact that each one is a lot stronger than the proceding stage, I don't think there's much information. There's not much specific information on strength in the daizenshuu, other than what you'd know from watching the series (and not 'know from watching the series' in the sense of "Well, X is equal to Y, who's way stronger than Z, who's a little weaker than ZZ, therefore blah blah blah mcblah". Statements like "Freeza had great power that neither Piccolo or Vegeta could match" are about as far as the daizenshuu go).
Toriyama Boss wrote: Incidentally, How much energy is needed to increase the number of transformations?
Do you mean as in how much energy you need to reach a new stage of Super Saiyan, or something like that? If so, than no, it doesn't touch on that. If you meant something else, then, well...it probably doesn't touch on that either. Like I said, they're not specific when it comes to power.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:59 pm

Alright, I finally finished it.

I figured against removing the text in the picture with Piccolo and Baby Piccolo in the upper right, since from the look of it, it's from the page of the actual "mook" and it'd look weird having one page of it be translated, while you can tell that the page on the left side isn't. And really, you don't need it, since the title's repeated in the skinny blue box, right?

I also really just didn't like how it turned out when I tried to replace the kanji with its translation :P.

Okay, I can finally do my homework in peace!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

andrew

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 am

Hey would you minded telling me what Daizenshuu 4 says about Chaozu and Lunch unique abilities.

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:52 am

Thank you Herms!

So what does it say about "Kiri's?" :D
Saiyan wrote:Daizenshuu #2 Shenlong Times
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I am sorry you guys, these I could translate all of this interview, but the images will have to be much bigger. Really hard to read that when they're so tiny. :)

If Anyone enlarges the images I will get right on it.