Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:33 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:No, his was a terrible reign. It is over and I am happy for that.

You can be happy theres a change (I'm interested as well because itll spice things up with something new) while still showing respect. Whether you like his art/animation or not, if you don't have anything respectful or constructive to say, don't say anything. Getting tired of people who say such mindless things. It's no better than those trolls who would message Shida with hate on Yamamuro. Don't be like that.

And @Superfan the beast is gone was not directed at you. Glad you have respect for him, and your reasons for happiness are justified. Also, don't post things like "Don't start". -_-
Fine.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Holy fuck. I hope Tate does a scene with these designs. Fuck, I hope Shintani is our new main character designer!

The beast is gone at last!
Where does it even say he’s the new designer?
I see Akira for “Character Designer”, Naotani Naoi as “Drawing director” and Kazuo Ogura as “Art Director”.

What does each position even do? They all seem the same to me. Maybe its just google translate with bad translations
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:45 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Holy fuck. I hope Tate does a scene with these designs. Fuck, I hope Shintani is our new main character designer!

I see Akira for “Character Designer”, Naotani Naoi as “Drawing director” and Kazuo Ogura as “Art Director”.

What does each position even do? They all seem the same to me. Maybe its just google translate with bad translations
It's a bad translation. Shintani is the animation director.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:35 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

It's a bad translation. Shintani is the animation director.
I'm really interested on how he will handle this movie but I'm hyped.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

superfan2024 wrote:FIRST VISUAL AND STAFF FOR THE NEW MOVIE HAVE BEEN REVEALED!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/9 ... 1037403136

OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE FIRST BROLY MOVIE, YAMAMURO IS NOT SUPERVISING A DRAGON BALL FILM! REJOICE MY FRIENDS! REJOICE!
Judging by this image, looks like the movie will be taking place right before the saiyan arc of DBZ.. Goku looks really young and has a classic DB vibe.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Yamamuro being absent from the new Super movie is certainly quite surprising, but a very much welcome direction. Dragon Ball needed to move on from him and I'm very happy about the fact that new blood is being brought into the Dragon Ball animation and art department and allowed them flourish.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Yamamuro being absent from the new Super movie is certainly quite surprising, but a very much welcome direction. Dragon Ball needed to move on from him and I'm very happy about the fact that new blood is being brought into the Dragon Ball animation and art department and allowed them flourish.
I interested on if this new move will affect how Dragon Ball will look if there's a new series in the future and I'm surprised that they are marketing the film as a Super film and not Z.
Majinwarman

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Yamamuro being absent from the new Super movie is certainly quite surprising, but a very much welcome direction. Dragon Ball needed to move on from him and I'm very happy about the fact that new blood is being brought into the Dragon Ball animation and art department and allowed them flourish.
I interested on if this new move will affect how Dragon Ball will look if there's a new series in the future and I'm surprised that they are marketing the film as a Super film and not Z.
I think this reaffirms how valuable the Dragon Ball Super brand currently is. Slap that on anything and it will sell like hotcakes in Japan.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
I think this reaffirms how valuable the Dragon Ball Super brand currently is. Slap that on anything and it will sell like hotcakes in Japan.
I'm happy that this happened. I was afraid that they were going to market it as a Z film just to get fans in the theater and earn more money that way. But, now with all of the new news that has come out, I can't wait until December 14 now.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:16 pm

-New DB Movie -

Holy shit!!! Tatsuya Nagamine is directing!! I knew it! :D :D
That's why I wasn't mad he won't come back to Super. The show will end and Nakamura is good enough to take care of the rest.

It's been my wish to have Nagamine direct a DB Movie, since I watched One Piece Film Z and One Piece Heart of Gold.
A desire that only got fueled when he became one of the Directors of Universe Survival arc.

Naohiro Shintani and Kazuo Ogura also had heavy roles in One Piece Film Z. That Movie is one of my favourite anime movies ever, so to have these three in the 20th DB Movie is more than I can take. I was only expecting Nagamine. It's not wrong to call this movie "One Piece Film Z - Dragon Ball Edition" and I'm so happy for that. :D

As for the Goku character design, I love it. It's perfect:

- Flowing and fully black hair. No highlights.
- No white highlights on his skin either.
- Beautiful color scheme that reminds me of the Full Color Volumes, which together with DB FighterZ it's the best Akira Toriyama's DB world ever looked to me. It also fixes one of my problems with Goku design in OVA 2008 which was his skin being too pink.

Overall, I love everything and I need to see more. Looks like they are serious in making this the best looking DB Movie ever and with this staff list I can only believe in them.

It's already far above ROF:
ROF plot - Bring an old villain back and kill him again.
Featuring: Tadayoshi Yamamuro as Director, Storyboard Artist and Character Designer

I just hope we won't get horrible CGI fight scenes, but hopefully everything will turn out alright.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:No, his was a terrible reign. It is over and I am happy for that.

You can be happy theres a change (I'm interested as well because itll spice things up with something new) while still showing respect. Whether you like his art/animation or not, if you don't have anything respectful or constructive to say, don't say anything. Getting tired of people who say such mindless things. It's no better than those trolls who would message Shida with hate on Yamamuro. Don't be like that.

And @Superfan the beast is gone was not directed at you. Glad you have respect for him, and your reasons for happiness are justified. Also, don't post things like "Don't start". -_-
You're reading into this statement way too deeply. I said gone and not slain for a reason.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Is there any posibility that they will bring DBZ sound effects back for this movie??

I know, DBS sound effects have been growing in me, but DBZ's punches and instant transmission sounds are DB's trademark, they're irreplaceable.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 am

So,yamamuro is not in this movie,that’s interesting.
@Ajay
Can you do a video on staff or at least the animation director?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 am

Hit!! wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:FIRST VISUAL AND STAFF FOR THE NEW MOVIE HAVE BEEN REVEALED!!!!!!!!

OMG THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE FIRST BROLY MOVIE, YAMAMURO IS NOT SUPERVISING A DRAGON BALL FILM! REJOICE MY FRIENDS! REJOICE!
Judging by this image, looks like the movie will be taking place right before the saiyan arc of DBZ.. Goku looks really young and has a classic DB vibe.
Actually its confirmed to take place right after the Tournament of Power by Toriyama.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/12/of ... a-comment/

This means Super might end on a cliffhanger

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 am

Asura wrote:
I don’t know if it’s just your guys’ reading comprehension or if I’m not clear enough, but you said there was just “a few” frames of repeated animation, to which someone replied that there was a lot more than a few, and somehow you’ve taken that as us trying to forcefully change your opinion or something. No one is doing that, we’re simply correcting you saying there was only a few frames of repeated animation because that’s completely wrong.
Asura wrote:somehow you’ve taken that as us trying to forcefully change your opinion or something. No one is doing that
Amir wrote:But at least admit it was a pretty major flaw
And that's where I'll end my argument 'cause this is getting nowhere.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 am

I am incredibly happy about the movie's staff list, and that Goku drawing looks gorgeous. I probably haven't been this hyped for something Dragon Ball ever since Super was announced.
Unfortunately the first episodes of Super turned out to be a little disappointing art-wise, and at the time I couldn't quite understand why I didn't like the art. It's been over 2 years since Super aired the first time, and thanks to Ajay and this thread, I have been able to express my true feelings about the art and animation of Dragon Ball in a more informed and mature way.

I can now say I dislike the modern Dragon Ball look because of Yamamuro's design. I dislike the triangular noses, the overly-detailed muscles and clothes, and the whole shining look characters had ever since Battle of Gods until the very end of Super. I also dislike the colors, especially Goku's gi which has been looking way too red in modern material, which was something I always hated in the original Dragon Ball tv show as well.

Here's the visual comparision of Yamamuro's design and the new one:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Notice how the proportions are also much better in this new art. It gives me Namek-era vibes, and that has always been my favorite art-style of Dragon Ball, and when I think about Goku the vision I have of him is in the Saiyan/Namek artstyle.
This new picture of Goku is everything I ever wanted modern Dragon Ball to look like. The flowy, pure black hair is wonderful - the muscles, clothing, the coloring, the simple look, the shading. I love everything of it. I can't wait to see more of this movie, and I'm super intrigued by how the other characters will look like in this art style.

I never heard of Naohiro Shintani before, but he's my new hero and I'm happy to see such a important role being given to a young talent. I'm also very happy that Ishitani, another young talent, is directing the final episode of Super. Nagamine directing the movie was expected, but it's always nice to have full confirmation.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 am

emperior wrote:I am incredibly happy about the movie's staff list, and that Goku drawing looks gorgeous. I probably haven't been this hyped for something Dragon Ball ever since Super was announced.
Unfortunately the first episodes of Super turned out to be a little disappointing art-wise, and at the time I couldn't quite understand why I didn't like the art. It's been over 2 years since Super aired the first time, and thanks to Ajay and this thread, I have been able to express my true feelings about the art and animation of Dragon Ball in a more informed and mature way.

I can now say I dislike the modern Dragon Ball look because of Yamamuro's design. I dislike the triangular noses, the overly-detailed muscles and clothes, and the whole shining look characters had ever since Battle of Gods until the very end of Super. I also dislike the colors, especially Goku's gi which has been looking way too red in modern material, which was something I always hated in the original Dragon Ball tv show as well.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Notice how the proportions are also much better in this new art. It gives me Namek-era vibes, and that has always been my favorite art-style of Dragon Ball, and when I think about Goku the vision I have of him is in the Saiyan/Namek artstyle.
This new picture of Goku is everything I ever wanted modern Dragon Ball to look like. The flowy, pure black hair is wonderful - the muscles, clothing, the coloring, the simple look, the shading. I love everything of it. I can't wait to see more of this movie, and I'm super intrigued by how the other characters will look like in this art style.

I never heard of Naohiro Shintani before, but he's my new hero and I'm happy to see such a important role being given to a young talent. I'm also very happy that Ishitani, another young talent, is directing the final episode of Super. Nagamine directing the movie was expected, but it's always nice to have full confirmation.
Easily better than current Yamamuro's designs. But what about compared to Yuya Takahashi? Because this:https://assets.change.org/photos/9/lz/z ... 1515333744

and this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNodvy4U8AAINIJ.jpg
just looks incredible. Easily the best DB has ever looked.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:08 am

kn83 wrote:
emperior wrote:I am incredibly happy about the movie's staff list, and that Goku drawing looks gorgeous. I probably haven't been this hyped for something Dragon Ball ever since Super was announced.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Easily better than current Yamamuro's designs. But what about compared to Yuya Takahashi? Because this:https://assets.change.org/photos/9/lz/z ... 1515333744

and this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNodvy4U8AAINIJ.jpg
just looks incredible. Easily the best DB has ever looked.
I wouldn't have minded Takahashi as the new character designer at all, but if I have to be honest I actually prefer Shintani's art.
It's new, yet nostalgic, and its simplicity really sells it for me. Of course we have never seen what Takahashi would do as the CD, but I guess his designs wouldn't be too different from the art he showed on Twitter and the two episodes of Super he supervised.
We have yet to see how the movie will look in motion though, but I'm confident that if the designs are as simple and good looking as the promo art, we are in for a treat - because animators will truly shine with such simple designs, especially loose ones like Naoki Tate. And it seems like simple designs attract more and better animators, or at least that's what I heard happened with the Pokemon Sun and Moon anime.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:31 am

Hit!! wrote:

I'm so happy! This is exactly what I want to see from modern Dragon Ball, these designs will defnitely attract some young, talented freelancers.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:42 am

Still can't get over yesterday's news. No Yamamuro in sight and at most he'll be KAing. This can't be a one time thing they have to move on like Ajay said. I hope this means people will be more lenient on Yamamuro the next 2 episodes especially #131 might as well just let him be now. I at least hope the new designs keep Yamamuro's bang in SSGSS and wild UI traits.

I also hope this means that figures will be getting rid of some Yamamuro traits too.

Only worry right now is Toriyama...please deliver a good story!