"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:12 am

Glen300 wrote:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9742 ... 15969?s=20

Latest spoilers from Herms, nothing new but it seems more definitive that Goku will be eliminated.

I'm not a Freeza's fan, but I do like when the villain succeeds with his plan, so this works for me. The salt would be legendary, tho.
The line about the MVP may point to Goku getting the wish, so this arc may not end with such a tense cliffhanger as anticipated. Or they might say that the MVP is the one who remains in the ring, I can see any of those things happening, really.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 am

TheMikado wrote:

Latest spoilers from Herms, nothing new but it seems more definitive that Goku will be eliminated.

The fan base will destroy everything when this happens..

In other news I’m predicting the series will expand to time travel and the demon realm at this point since there really isn’t anywhere else to go and those two themes seem to always come up in tandem. I’m predicting the movie and any future series if there is one will be time and demon realm based since Goku and the universes surviving wouldn’t make any sense with the EoZ at this point. Vegeta, 17, Or Gohan should be more powerful than Uub not even taking into consideration Jiren or Toppo or UI so at this point EoZ really doesn’t make sense.
They could use the same BS they used with Frieza (and Goku and Vegeta) and say that Kid Buu's could have been WAYYYY stronger if he had trained and he was nowhere near his full potential meaning that Uub has the potential of being even stronger than Jiren.

It wouldn't' be THAT far-fetched. I mean, Jiren is JUST a powerful alien while Buu is meant to be this super powerful primal being. It isn't that much of a stretch to think that Buu's re-incarnation has the potential of being stronger (specially if you consider that Buu has endless stamina and the potential to regenerate and heal).

I think that a mini-arc featuring Kid/Teen Uub would be great for Super. Sure, his personality in EoZ and in GT sucked but I'm sure Toriyama and Toyotaro could make him an interesting character.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 am

Again Goku trains UUB because of what he COULD become not what he already is. Its like people forget how goku started out. he was a weak baby of the saiyan race and after spending years and years training/fighting in DB, at the start of DBZ his toddler son who had never trained a day in his life was 3 times stronger than goku. Now goku is basically stronger than every non angel but Jiren.

Uub is the reincarnation of kid buu, if he's born with anywhere near buu's power then just image the gains he could make training with goku (gains ala frieza). Goku saw frieza go from weaker than ss goku on namek to stronger than ssb goku in 4 months. Why wouldn't he be fascinated by what uub could accomplish in a short amount of time?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am

I wonder if Toriyama decided to make the Mastery of Selfishness similar looking to Super Saiyan God so that Beers could realize that the dream he had of fighting a Super Saiyan God was actually fighting Gokuu using the Mastery of Selflessness the entire time?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:52 am

buutenks wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
Majin Jator wrote:Seems likely the series will end with Freeza's wish, and that it would be resolved in the movie. Maybe he wishes to have managed to extinguish all the Saiyans back in the day, or travels to the past to have another shot at it? It should be something that Goku can avert or revert somehow with Whiz's help.

So, if DB comes back as a TV show at some point. Will the new series start with a retelling? If it's a continuation of Super, I don't see how can that be avoided. :roll:
I think that's why Toriyama barely canonizes the films. As they'd have to be seen by all the show watchers to not leave out key points.

And as for Jiren. How many times is he going to put forth his "Full Power". Like come on man, Goku's here transcending his limits and running on Vegeta's last bit of energy to power UI. And then you got Jiren getting beat down by Goku at the end of 129. Honestly if it's nearly impossible for Jiren to touch Goku in the omen. He shouldn't even be able to phase it mastered. And he's sent a "full power blast at Goku" which Goku calmly Hakai'd. Now if Goku could do that with minimal effort why is Jiren still trouble? But...hey f*** it.
Never once was it stated Jiren released his full power. In ep 123 he released a bit of his normal power, then in ep 127 he released more power which he used to casually dominate Goku, Vegeta n 17. With that power he was able to get the upper hand on UI Omen Goku in ep 129, till Goku mastered UI and got the upper hand over Jiren. So, Jiren has yet to show his full power. All he did was show glimpses of his power.
I call hacks.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:59 am

Why is goku the only one allowed to hold back? Not once in show have they said jiren was using 100% of his power, he's been picking it up but hasn't tapped out yet.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Majin Jator wrote:

I'm not a Freeza's fan, but I do like when the villain succeeds with his plan, so this works for me. The salt would be legendary, tho.
The line about the MVP may point to Goku getting the wish, so this arc may not end with such a tense cliffhanger as anticipated. Or they might say that the MVP is the one who remains in the ring, I can see any of those things happening, really.
Freeza might not even succeed. Says he blast Jiren eliminate him :p

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Toriyama's comment about the 50th anniversary Jump exhibition by Herms and new Goku's drawing:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Just another comment that proves how much involved he is with anime unlike what some people say. Gotta love how happy he is with his manga-drawing days behind him.
Classic Toriyama. :lol:

Considering I barely like anything he draws nowadays, I like that Goku's drawing a lot.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Freeza? I'm half-expecting #17 to pull a "miraculous" survival stunt where he reappears just in time to prevent any morally complicated situations from arising with Freeza potentially being handed the codes to one of the most powerful hydrogen bombs in existence. Sure, it makes Daishinkan look less astute than he's normally portrayed as but if Toei and Toriyama need to circumvent certain character personalities in order to get the desired effect they want then they'll be all for it.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Lionel wrote:Freeza? I'm half-expecting #17 to pull a "miraculous" survival stunt where he reappears just in time to prevent any morally complicated situations from arising with Freeza potentially being handed the codes to one of the most powerful hydrogen bombs in existence. Sure, it makes Daishinkan look less astute than he's normally portrayed as but if Toei and Toriyama need to circumvent certain character personalities in order to get the desired effect they want then they'll be all for it.
Is 17 surviving some kind of meme I missed?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Lionel wrote:Freeza? I'm half-expecting #17 to pull a "miraculous" survival stunt where he reappears just in time to prevent any morally complicated situations from arising with Freeza potentially being handed the codes to one of the most powerful hydrogen bombs in existence. Sure, it makes Daishinkan look less astute than he's normally portrayed as but if Toei and Toriyama need to circumvent certain character personalities in order to get the desired effect they want then they'll be all for it.
Is 17 surviving some kind of meme I missed?
There were some alleged spoilers posted awhile back that claimed #17 had survived the self-destruction stunt he pulled. Personally, I'm not going to completely dismiss the possibility since licences are taken all the time by Toriyama. We also saw Vegeta survive an attack that should have killed him with stamina to spare for Jiren some time ago.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:49 pm

TheRed259 wrote:What bothers me the most is not Freeza's possible victory but the fact that they thought we were stupid enough to forget that Freeza was still in the ring!
I think they were betting on the target demographic for the show (which are kids) to forget. But not us tho :lol:

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:56 pm

So I was thinking of a good scenario regarding Jiren defeating Goku and here is a one that I (personally) really like.

Jiren has been such a bland character and I agree that if he defeats Goku just by going full power while still being arrogant it would be pretty bad and piss off many people. The subplot point about trusting friends and absolute power would also mean nothing, his flashback as well.
But what if Jiren is going to have a character development mid-battle? Like he starts enjoying the fight and respects Goku, seeing him as a worthy rival, realize his mistake, apologize to Toppo and start fighting for friends. Giving him a new power-up or whatever.

I know this sounds too cliche and I would usually hate it but this is Dragon Ball after all. It may not be the best writing, but I believe it's better than what we think is coming. If Jiren stops being an as-s.hole, I think that would lessen the impact and anger of Goku losing in the eyes of the fans.

And Frieza might attack Jiren from the back or something, so Jiren would look like the good guy here.

Well, that is just what I'm hoping for, you can disagree with that.

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:What bothers me the most is not Freeza's possible victory but the fact that they thought we were stupid enough to forget that Freeza was still in the ring!
I think they were betting on the target demographic for the show (which are kids) to forget. But not us tho :lol:
Are you serious? This is a simple thing even for kids to understand and is very obvious. Why some of you always talk as if kids are complete morons who understand nothing lol. At least I know I and my friends were watching more complicated stuff when I was a kid, with blood too (shonen level, not too much).

We're talking about kids let's say 10-14 years old or something, right? not 6 y.o
Last edited by OverHeaven on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Of all the things to criticize about jiren, the one about being an asshole is the one that makes least sense to me. Most characters in DB are assholes, cocky, loudmouths , etc.

Lets look at some of u7

Vegeta - In the ToP, he has chided his own teammate a17 twice for helping them "stealing glory" in episode 121 and " damn android, i don't need your help" in 127 so why is jiren calling toppo pathetic such a big issue?

Goku - This is the guy who at the exhibition matches AFTER finding out about the universe erasure thing and beating bergamo, decided he wants to shit talk all the gods about how he's gonna beat anyone they send after him.

Freeza- Goes without saying

Just cause someone is a good person overall doesn't mean they need to be warm and cuddly

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Of all the things to criticize about jiren, the one about being an asshole is the one that makes least sense to me. Most characters in DB are assholes, cocky, loudmouths , etc.

Lets look at some of u7

Vegeta - In the ToP, he has chided his own teammate a17 twice for helping them "stealing glory" in episode 121 and " damn android, i don't need your help" in 127 so why is jiren calling toppo pathetic such a big issue?

Goku - This is the guy who at the exhibition matches AFTER finding out about the universe erasure thing and beating bergamo, decided he wants to shit talk all the gods about how he's gonna beat anyone they send after him.

Just cause someone is a good person overall doesn't mean they need to be warm and cuddly
What you said would make perfect sense if one of the the defining features of Jiren wasn't his sense of justice. I'm sorry, but seeign someone with the morals of Superman , talk/act lke a jerk is jarring
Get Fucked, C_unt

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Of all the things to criticize about jiren, the one about being an asshole is the one that makes least sense to me. Most characters in DB are assholes, cocky, loudmouths , etc.

Lets look at some of u7

What you said would make perfect sense if one of the the defining features of Jiren wasn't his sense of justice. I'm sorry, but seeign someone with the morals of Superman , talk/act lke a jerk is jarring
You are confusing the manga and the anime. I don't even think jiren has mentioned justice in the tournament outside of when he said strength is justice. In the manga he's supposed to be "superman" and I don't think we will see him mock 17 for dying or call Toppo pathetic but the anime never went with that route

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:

Lets look at some of u7

That's a stupid argument. Being a hero/good guy doesn't (necessarily) mean being nice and friendly. Batman is a total asshole yet is obviously all about justice in most incarnations. Asshole heroes are pretty common. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dIsNotNice

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:

Lets look at some of u7

You are confusing the manga and the anime. I don't even think jiren has mentioned justice in the tournament outside of when he said strength is justice. In the manga he's supposed to be "superman" and I don't think we will see him mock 17 for dying or call Toppo pathetic but the anime never went with that route
Yeah, I guess I got confused, sorry :oops: , I really need to re-watch and re-read Super again
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:18 pm

kn83 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:

Lets look at some of u7

That's a stupid argument. Being a hero/good guy doesn't (necessarily) mean being nice and friendly. Batman is a total asshole yet is obviously all about justice in most incarnations. Asshole heroes are pretty common. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... dIsNotNice
Not really. Batman has to put on a fake persona in order to scare his enemies, and make them fear him, so of course he's gonna be a bit of an asshole. That's totally different from Jiren , who is just himself. He doesn't need to hide his identity.
Get Fucked, C_unt