Character popularity poll in Japan (not official)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Character popularity poll in Japan (not official)

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Obviously its down to personal taste but I genuinely don't understand why Bardock and Paragus are in the top 10. I've never got what people saw in Broly either.
Well Paragus is a meme. So thats part of it.
Ah right I see. I find "meme culture" rather simple and unfunny so I'm not surprised I haven't seen that one.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm

BrolyKale wrote:(NOT AN OFFICIAL POLL)

https://www.animeranking.net/stat.php?id=34
531 votes in total

So we have

1. Bardock
2. Vegeta
3. Broly
4. Goku
5. C-18
6. Gohan
7. C-17 (thanks to DBS)
8. Freezer-sama
9. Paragus (thats very surprising and cool)
10. Piccolo

Caulifla is 15th thats very nice!

so what do you guys think?
Vegeta is n1 now with Goku in number 3. Black is the most popular vilain in number 10.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:36 pm

sangofe wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:(NOT AN OFFICIAL POLL)

531 votes in total

So we have

1. Bardock
2. Vegeta
3. Broly
4. Goku
5. C-18
6. Gohan
7. C-17 (thanks to DBS)
8. Freezer-sama
9. Paragus (thats very surprising and cool)
10. Piccolo

Caulifla is 15th thats very nice!

so what do you guys think?
Vegeta is n1 now with Goku in number 3. Black is the most popular vilain in number 10.
Broly is the most popular villain, he's at #5

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 pm

It's odd to see characters listed multiple times on things like this. I noticed Jaco has two spots, Vegerot has one for Super Saiyan form specifically and another one that seems to be for the fusion in general (though the picture used is SSj Blue), there's two Future Trunkses (one for the SSj Rage form specifically, maybe?)... of course, combining them wouldn't change the rankings much since the second copy is usually really far to the end, but still.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Pantalones wrote:It's odd to see characters listed multiple times on things like this. I noticed Jaco has two spots, Vegerot has one for Super Saiyan form specifically and another one that seems to be for the fusion in general (though the picture used is SSj Blue), there's two Future Trunkses (one for the SSj Rage form specifically, maybe?)... of course, combining them wouldn't change the rankings much since the second copy is usually really far to the end, but still.
Its most likely a typo, as the names of the characters are the same and they aren't stated to by different incarnations.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:46 pm

17 is now equal to Goku, who would have thought.

blain218
Banned Alternate Account

Post by blain218 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Interesting. Android 17 is top 3. Caulifla is way more popular than I thought, at least in Japan.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:05 pm

blain218 wrote:Interesting. Android 17 is top 3. Caulifla is way more popular than I thought, at least in Japan.

Ikr. That's pretty surprising.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm

Its been updated again with interesting results:

The new top 25 are:

1. Bardock
2. Vegeta
3. Goku
4. Broly
5. Gohan
6. Piccolo
7. Android 18
8. Future Trunks
9. Gogeta
10. Vegito
11. Freeza
12. Android 17
13. Goku Black
14. Paragus
15. Yamcha
16. Turles
17. Cell
18. Beerus
19. Krillin
20. Whis
21. Present Trunks
22. The Ginyu Force
23. Tien
24. Cooler
25. Bulma
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 am

ruler9871 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm Its been updated again with interesting results:

The new top 25 are:

1. Bardock
2. Vegeta
3. Goku
4. Broly
5. Gohan
6. Piccolo
7. Android 18
8. Future Trunks
9. Gogeta
10. Vegito
11. Freeza
12. Android 17
13. Goku Black
14. Paragus
15. Yamcha
16. Turles
17. Cell
18. Beerus
19. Krillin
20. Whis
21. Present Trunks
22. The Ginyu Force
23. Tien
24. Cooler
25. Bulma
It looks like Tapion just placed ahead of Bulma and Chaozu is just behind Bulma, which places him not far at all behind Tenshinhan. I’m a little surprised by this considering Toei or Toriyama never really do anything with the little vampire.

I’m not surprised by Tapion since he looks really cool, probably has something to do with him being a Link/Crono fusion.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue May 21, 2019 3:04 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 pm Its been updated again with interesting results:

The new top 25 are:

1. Bardock
2. Vegeta
3. Goku
4. Broly
5. Gohan
6. Piccolo
7. Android 18
8. Future Trunks
9. Gogeta
10. Vegito
11. Freeza
12. Android 17
13. Goku Black
14. Paragus
15. Yamcha
16. Turles
17. Cell
18. Beerus
19. Krillin
20. Whis
21. Present Trunks
22. The Ginyu Force
23. Tien
24. Cooler
25. Bulma
I really don't get why Vegetto and SSJ Vegetto are separated. Same with Broli and SSJ Broli, unless they mean the two different incarnations but that's not even specified.

Also, there's one character named Future Trunks and another named Trunks (Future). :wtf: REALLY...?

I'm also very surprised why the West Kaioshin is even there, lol did she ever even get any amount of screentime? Unless ppl like her based on Toyble's AF manga, then that's understandable.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 am

Currently Caulifla is the second most popular female character and the first of the U6 team I'm a bit surprised.
I think if this survey were for Latin America, hit would be in the top 10 :D

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:03 pm

The typical faces are polling as great as ever. I'm surprised Bardock and #18 are high as they are, though. Also, why is Broly registering as two different characters? I understand there's two iterations but the same fundamental premise of an overmuscled berserker who cripples everything around him without much cognitive thought is the same.

Dragon Ball's human fighter cast did as good as can be expected. The parts they got in the RoF arc and Tournament of Power are probably about as good as they're going to receive. There's a better chance for Freeza becoming a member of the fighting inner circle at this point (not a good guy, just someone who is actively fighting alongside Goku and Vegeta).

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 pm

I feel like Bardock might have taken Broly’s place as the most inexplicably popular over-marketed character. At least with Broly I can get the appeal. Bardock was interesting for his first special and then had everything unique about him sandblasted off in follow-up material. Hell, I would put Minus as one of the better versions; at least he didn’t go Super Saiyan in that.

Freeza not ranking as high as I expected. With how iconic he is and the amount of love he gets in new material, you’d think he’d crack the top 5. On the other hand, pleasantly surprised to see Gohan doing well considering how underused he’s been lately.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 am

I'm surprised that people are actually taking this poll seriously. Only 703 people voted, which isn't really all that much plus people who aren't from Japan ruined this poll anyway when they found it. I remember when this poll was first found, the Tien fans on others sites (especially the ones from Gamefaqs) got mad when they saw him below Krillin, so after just a day, Tien somehow got enough votes to be ahead of Krillin in the rankings. Now they're tied.