How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Post by Asura » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm

I think one of the most controversial things about Episode 130 (and the only negative I have with the episode personally) was Android 17 coming back at the very end. I've seen some people that are happy he's back, and others that are annoyed that he's back. Personally, I don't particularly mind that he's still alive and the final fight will be 17 & Freeza vs Jiren (with some assistance by Goku) which is such a bizarre match-up that I love it.

However, my problem with this reveal is more in the way it was handled. Why did they think it was a good idea to make 17 re-appear in the way in which he did? The focus is on Freeza after he saves Goku, and then behind him pops out 17 from a rock, he goes "sup guys I'm still alive I guess" and then the episode ends. It was so fast you honestly could have blinked and missed it. What was the point in revealing him this way? Why instead would you not have 17 be the one to save Goku, with Freeza popping from behind the rock afterwards instead? It would have made for a much more dramatic reveal than "Wew that rock was heavy, sup dudes? Ready to fight Jiren?". From the moment Goku was hit with that ki blast, everyone who was watching immediately knew it was Freeza. What a curveball it would be though to see 17 standing in his place instead. I laughed really hard when he was first revealed to be alive because all I could think of were the "Hit & 17 hiding out in a time pocket" theories.

I've also heard a lot of people say it cheapens his "death" in 127. To be honest I thought his "death" in 127 was so poorly handled that it almost doesn't surprise me that the reveal that he's still alive is even more poorly hadled. During his "death" I remember thinking "Wait, what, that's it? He's dead?" and funny enough, once he reappeared in 130 I said "Wait, what, that's it? He's alive?".

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Re: How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Post by Exline » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Asura wrote:I think one of the most controversial things about Episode 130 (and the only negative I have with the episode personally) was Android 17 coming back at the very end. I've seen some people that are happy he's back, and others that are annoyed that he's back. Personally, I don't particularly mind that he's still alive and the final fight will be 17 & Freeza vs Jiren (with some assistance by Goku) which is such a bizarre match-up that I love it.

However, my problem with this reveal is more in the way it was handled. Why did they think it was a good idea to make 17 re-appear in the way in which he did? The focus is on Freeza after he saves Goku, and then behind him pops out 17 from a rock, he goes "sup guys I'm still alive I guess" and then the episode ends. It was so fast you honestly could have blinked and missed it. What was the point in revealing him this way? Why instead would you not have 17 be the one to save Goku, with Freeza popping from behind the rock afterwards instead? It would have made for a much more dramatic reveal than "Wew that rock was heavy, sup dudes? Ready to fight Jiren?". From the moment Goku was hit with that ki blast, everyone who was watching immediately knew it was Freeza. What a curveball it would be though to see 17 standing in his place instead. I laughed really hard when he was first revealed to be alive because all I could think of were the "Hit & 17 hiding out in a time pocket" theories.

I've also heard a lot of people say it cheapens his "death" in 127. To be honest I thought his "death" in 127 was so poorly handled that it almost doesn't surprise me that the reveal that he's still alive is even more poorly hadled. During his "death" I remember thinking "Wait, what, that's it? He's dead?" and funny enough, once he reappeared in 130 I said "Wait, what, that's it? He's alive?".
Yes, his death was so poorly executed. He self-destructs right after Vegeta does it, which makes it less impactful. It also felt so OOC of him to do so. It never even made sense in the first place because 17 doesn't have a bomb inside of him to self-destruct. If 16 couldn't do it without the bomb, how come 17 could?

I stated in another thread that Vegeta, in a hypothetical episode where GoD Toppo appears to be unstoppable and more threatening than Jiren (Not in Power, but in behavior; with the Spamming of Hakai and all) should have been the one to sacrifice himself to defeat GoD Toppo, where he dies (or is left unconscious and ACTUALLY out of stamina for the last few minutes of the ToP), leaving an emotional impact in all DBZ Fans everywhere like when he first did it in the Buu Arc.

I don't mind that he's alive, however his re-introduction into the fight, like you've stated, was a bit awkward. I think he should've been the one save Goku instead, and then Frieza would come out and probably blast Jiren away from finishing them off. The writing always seems to be lacking in Super.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm

I feel good about it , so good . I had some hopes about it , but the fake spoilers help even more to this great surprise.
He deserved it and we the ones who liked his rol in top.
My memories Back in the days when it was assume that Goku die in namek are less hype... not sure ..because a17 revelation was in an epic chapter .
17 mvp dead or alive :D
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Being that I became a big fan of 17 during this arc I was pretty hyped for him to come back in 130. I've been pretty down on the Jiren and Goku fight so having Freeza plus 17 getting involved in 131 makes me more excited for the fight now. Will agree that him coming back was handled poorly and it made me laugh at how he just shows up so suddenly.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 pm

I was suspicious about how low-key his "death" was so I'm quite pleased that my suspicions were correct and he was still alive.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I didn't like it. It takes away from episode 127 with his "death" scene, and it also takes away from Frieza being the guy who was still in. If 17 was just going to be back too then why wasn't Frieza apart of the big fight against Jiren in 127? 17 fought the whole episode and Frieza showed up for 10 seconds to get his lights knocked out. 17 then fought Jiren for an extended period of time and saved everyone. He also fought Toppo longer than Frieza and was the ki person in taking down Anilaza. When he died I was like, OK they gave him all of that because he was going to die, but now that he is back it not only makes Frieza look bad, but Vegeta as well since 17 did better than him in 127 and now he outlasted him as well. The writers seem to really love 17. I wonder if he will get as much shine in the manga or if he will just fight tactically using his unlimited stamina.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm

Hate it. Would have liked it if he stayed dead. I mean how many times are they going to keep on faking us out? This is the 4th time this arc that it’s happen. And I’ve grown sick of 17 already, he’s been shoved down our throats multiple times to show us “how cool he is”. It should have just been Frieza and Goku.

Or hell, just go all the way and have Hit show up at the last minute too.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 am

I'm fine with it.

If any character could hide without being found, it would be one of the androids, er, cyborgs. In this case, 17.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:20 am

127 turned Android 17 into my favorite character, I mean, the guy embraces his humanity while fearlessly shit-talking Jiren despite the outrageously overwhelming gap in power level and being consistently manhandled by him. He's smart, tactical, witty "My hand slipped," fearless AND sarcastic? How could you not love the guy? So when he "died" so languorously I was like, wait, are you fucking kidding me? What now? Why???

However, the reveal that he actually didn't die was equally, if not even more pathetically handled. I literally laughed out loud and had to watch the episode again because I could not believe I saw what I just saw. That shit was actually funny. In retrospect, you know what, I'm cool with it, because 17 is now my favorite character by a landslide, but holy shit these guys do not know how to write. What the hell?!
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am

It would have had more impact if he alongside Frieza saved Goku. But the way it was handled (Frieza saved Goku...A17 just stood there) was kind of lame.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 am

It cheapened the hell out of the moment. And I love A17.

Just pops up like *yawn* hey guys, whats going on?

Toei was gilding the lily with that one.
Planet Namek Bred

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 am

I called Android 17 the MVP in my tribute post to him after he self-destructed as I thought it was a fitting end to him in the ToP. But I'm also glad he's back because that means he's not dead and he's the MVP so he could have more good stuff to show.
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 am

They could've done a better job with his reveal, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited to see him alive. This guy faked his death, hid under some rocks and decided to step back into the fight alongside Freeza at a pivotal moment.

I like how they used Freeza's disappearance after Episode 127 not as a way into tricking us that he was out of the fight, but rather getting us to keep him in the back of our minds so that we're not expecting the follow-up twist that Android 17 is alive. I did not see this coming at all.

Does it make his sacrifice feel like a cop out? Totally. But I'm fine with it. If he had actually died, he would have been revived after the tournament. I definitely prefer this surprise reveal. Still the MVP.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:43 am

I just want it to be revealed at the last second that Hit really was hiding all that time. Then maybe the Grand Priest will reveal himself to truly be El Grande Padre, with the series ending on a cliffhanger with a detailed shot of Goku, 17, Freeza and Hit about to charge towards the bulky Padre Priest with a "see you next Christmas" in the bottom right of the screen.

That would be the best thing mankind has ever created.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 am

My biggest problem was the way it was handled. How he just pops up from underneath the rubble right after Freeza's appearance, who entered the scene pretty impressively and contributed by saving Goku; by comparison, #17 reveal feels shoehorned and lackluster. Like "oh, by the way, he's alive too. Surprise!", which fell flat. The good part of him being alive is that you could now excuse the lack of reaction to his death from most of the cast by thinking that maybe some of them were aware he might not have been blown up.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 am

I think it's a good twist that no one expected.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 am

It's too much. I like his characterization as per Super, but him dealing with Jiren was already enough. Now he's alive and in the final battle? No, that's too much.
Not to mention, I would've preferred if it was just Goku and Frieza against Jiren. Now that there's like twenty seconds left (=10 minutes), the fact that there are STILL three partecipants for U7 ruins the tension.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 am

This guy got his ass handed to him by Imperfect Cell and now he's top tier god lmao. Amusing If you go back and watch the Android/Cell saga to see where he stood In terms of power. BUT heck, this could be the reason why he's so strong In GT.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 am

Michsi wrote:My biggest problem was the way it was handled. How he just pops up from underneath the rubble right after Freeza's appearance, who entered the scene pretty impressively and contributed by saving Goku; by comparison, #17 reveal feels shoehorned and lackluster. Like "oh, by the way, he's alive too. Surprise!", which fell flat.
That was my problem with it too. Freeza's backandsois17! It felt like a run-on sentence, just jammed in there without considering the flow. But I've watched a ton of reactions to 130 and it seems to have had the intended effect on most people.