Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official "DB 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Mercenary » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Mercenary wrote:I get it that it's the teaser so they'll obviously promote this movie with Goku as a frontman but I really hope that this time Vegeta will have a leading role or at least be as important as Goku. Something similar to ROF.

Goku has already beaten Jiren and got new, unique transformation. They can't let him get another one, while Vegeta didn't even get UI.
I think Vegeta will have a huge role considering he is a popular character and the second main character of Super.
Yeah, I hope so. I don't want to jump the gun already, but I hope it won't be something like BOG where Vegeta only takes spectator seat.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Mercenary wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Mercenary wrote:I get it that it's the teaser so they'll obviously promote this movie with Goku as a frontman but I really hope that this time Vegeta will have a leading role or at least be as important as Goku. Something similar to ROF.

Goku has already beaten Jiren and got new, unique transformation. They can't let him get another one, while Vegeta didn't even get UI.
I think Vegeta will have a huge role considering he is a popular character and the second main character of Super.
Yeah, I hope so. I don't want to jump the gun already, but I hope it won't be something like BOG where Vegeta only takes spectator seat.
That would be horrible if that happens again.
Last edited by majinwarman on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Riczi wrote:Translator who was at the event told that this other guy "might be a Saiyan", and he did not translate whole thing, because it spoils the movie...
Can someone tell us what was the man from Shueisha talking?
https://streamable.com/up4pa
Look at Kannzenshuu's main page.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Doctor. wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Dragon Ball Legends, and now this all introducing new Saiyans right at the same time. Hmmmm. :think:
Who are the new Saiyans in Heroes?
Well, it's a Saiyan. This guy:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Don't really know anything about him except that he has torn purple pants and some kind of purple aura, but with all the dark energy power ups flying around in that game it's hard to say if that's his normal power.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Mewzard wrote:I'm really liking how the movie is looking. Also, worldwide release? The gap between Japanese and American release really does shrink between each of these movies.
TOEI wants to maximize its profits and so, getting foreign dubs prepared for the next Dragon Ball is an excellent idea for a worldwide release.

I love that this DB movie will have a Classic Dragon Ball-feel to it given Son's original outfit, that Broli-like character and all and heck, I hope they bring back CHA LA HEAD CHA LA to be the opening of this flick. :)
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:34 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
sintzu wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:I'm kind of wondering if this is going to be a Dragon Ball Z reboot starting at the Saiyan saga because Goku's in his old outfit.
Toriyama already said it takes place after super.
Maybe the Super Dragon Balls get used to reverse time to fix Jiren's past? Goku even has his nyoibo again, which he no longer has a need for and we haven't seen since the beginning of Z.
That's just on the KV, remember it's not always indicative of the actual content.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm

My next opponent has an interesting design. Hope I'll transform into Ultra Instinct, though. Refreshing to finally get to move a bit more.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Vegeta has been very important since BOG so there's no reason to think anything will change here. Goku will still be the main lead though.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:37 pm

sintzu wrote:

Vegeta has been very important since BOG so there's no reason to think anything will change here. Goku will still be the main lead though.
He'll probably give lots of exposition for the new villain!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm

Kakarot wrote:He'll probably give lots of exposition for the new villain!
You think he's someone from back in the day when Vegeta was a kid ? interesting.
Kakarot wrote:My next opponent has an interesting design. Hope I'll transform into Ultra Instinct, though. Refreshing to finally get to move a bit more.
You want a new form ? don't you have enough. :wtf:

Speaking of forms, do you think Vegeta will have his "royal blue" form he has in the current arc ? the reaosn I ask is because it's most likely a none Toriyama form.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

You want a new form ? don't you have enough. :wtf:

Speaking of forms, do you think Vegeta will have his "royal blue" form he has in the current arc ? the reaosn I ask is because it's most likely a none Toriyama form.
Yes, I do believe he will have SSGSS: Evolution. But I'll always have more forms. Always.

Riczi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Riczi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Riczi wrote:Translator who was at the event told that this other guy "might be a Saiyan", and he did not translate whole thing, because it spoils the movie...
Can someone tell us what was the man from Shueisha talking?
https://streamable.com/up4pa
Look at Kannzenshuu's main page.
There's nothing about this video.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Kakarot wrote:My next opponent has an interesting design. Hope I'll transform into Ultra Instinct, though. Refreshing to finally get to move a bit more.
Don't get your hopes up, Kakaroth, I'll be the one to defeat this opponent!
Get Fucked, C_unt

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:What is weird about the trailer is not the art style itself, but the way Goku is acting. He's so happy and excited doing all these poses and moves while this new opponent is seemingly so angry lol
This most likely isn't from the movie as the last 2 movies teasers weren't. He may have been acting like that to show the way the animation moves as it's a new style.
That's the vibe I'm getting too, trying to show the emphasis on the new change.

But anyway, a Saiyan huh? Well that's a bit disappointing, we just had Black. But it does make sense given they said the movie would be about Saiyans.
Black was Zamasu in Goku’s body, not a ‘real Saiyan’.

Anyway, I’m getting a One Piece movie six vibe. Namely they’re going for a less detailed style for more fluid animation. It will take time, but I will grow into it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
You should be happy as the appetizer.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Well that trailer was pretty dame cool.

As for our villain, I don think its Yamoshi. He was stated to have become a Super Saiyan but was good. Also as far as we know he was only a normal ss and later gave rise to SSG.

This person, and this is pure speculation on my part, is what Vegeta talked about when he saw Kale's Legendary Form. He is the true origin of Super Saiyans, The Original Legendary Super Saiyan!
You dumped Jiren for the new hotness already? Forshame.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Jord wrote:The teaser reminds me a lot of the Pokemon animation shift to Sun/Moon's designs. Somewhat more simple but the animation looks more fluid. I take that over the sometimes choppy Super animation.
Not familiar with Pokémon for years, but after a quick search, I'm not sure how that's a positive. It looks cheap.
The amount of detail in any given frame has nothing to do with budget. It's not as if throwing more money at a project will suddenly give their digital coloring tools more colors to work with. And anyway, it's easy to look at stills of the series and say that it looks bad, but the thing is... it looks fantastic in motion.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:And anyway, it's easy to look at stills of the series and say that it looks bad, but the thing is... it looks fantastic in motion.
Difference is that the SM designs are a vast departure from anything that came before it to the point that, without the actual Pokémon, you wouldn't even be able to tell it's the same show.

This movie's art style seems like a good blend of the old with the new.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm

I really hope this isn't Broly. :shifty:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
We believe in you. all hail prince vegeta. :mrgreen: :clap:
Kakarot wrote:You should be happy as the appetizer.
How dare you ? just because you're probably right doesn't mean you should go on and say it in public, especially not to his face. :evil:

Morbidden

Post by Morbidden » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

I like the fluid animation, I really do, but...

Shintani's art for Goku just doesn't click with me. I myself don't care for Yamamuro's modern art for too much and I am all in for a change in art direction, but did it have to be so drastic? I mean it is better than Yamamuro's but the eyes, cheeks and nose look way too soft for my tastes. But then again: It is a teaser.

They could've tried to re-discover Yamamuro's Saiyan Invasion / Namek / Frieza character art and go from there. It should have been a lot simpler to draw and animate than Yamamuro's modern style with strict anatomy and shadings. DBZ art was so expressive with the exaggerated muscle tones and contortions.

But I guess I'll take what I can get.