"Dragon Ball Legends" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Legends" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Why have they gone with 3D models for a mobile game? It's nonsensical, specially after FighterZ.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

So GT Pan is in this and is being openly advertised at that, makes me happy! =D

That's a lesson for people who think their "canon" means actual relevance. Or that the creators for some reason would cater to the worst part of the fandom. Even FighterZ is getting Broly and Bardock SSJ now, who knows what else.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Why have they gone with 3D models for a mobile game? It's nonsensical, specially after FighterZ.
Because 3D is still the more popular of the 2 when it comes to Dragon Ball games
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Image

Man, I wish that character design was for Cabba instead of what we got.
He looks so good! Just goes to show how Toriyama can still come up with awesome designs. He really looks like a old-school Saiyan, which he is considering he is a Saiyan from the past.
I think the idea was to make Cabba skinny on purpose, his appearance actually fits his character quite much while I wouldn't see this Saiyan having the same personality of Cabba at all - he looks way more proud and sure of himself.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:27 pm

The craziest part about this design is that his tail color matches his hair. Also that he has Cabba's belt. I wonder how the saiyan lore will turn out. Maybe we'll see how the U6 saiyans lost their tails. Could it be that they started cutting them off like Goku and Vegeta because the great ape form was too dangerous?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:40 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Because 3D is still the more popular of the 2 when it comes to Dragon Ball games
We are talking about phones. Performance matters. Appealing to the lowest common denominator (in terms of devices) matters. People don't care if it's not 3D.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:The craziest part about this design is that his tail color matches his hair. Also that he has Cabba's belt. I wonder how the saiyan lore will turn out. Maybe we'll see how the U6 saiyans lost their tails. Could it be that they started cutting them off like Goku and Vegeta because the great ape form was too dangerous?
Vegeta said the Universe 7 Saiyans also wore armor like that before Frieza came along, so he could be from U7's ancient past.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Toriyama made Sub-Zero into a Saiyan.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Why does his 3D Hair look so different compared to his 2D artwork. It looks shorter. I hope it's just the camera though.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Nero<>Akira wrote:Toriyama made Sub-Zero into a Saiyan.
More like Sonic the Hedgehog
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:58 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Because 3D is still the more popular of the 2 when it comes to Dragon Ball games
We are talking about phones. Performance matters. Appealing to the lowest common denominator (in terms of devices) matters. People don't care if it's not 3D.
Well, Dimps are the ones making the game and they are using some of the Xenoverse series’ models.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm

SaiyaSith wrote:

The craziest part about this design is that his tail color matches his hair. Also that he has Cabba's belt. I wonder how the saiyan lore will turn out. Maybe we'll see how the U6 saiyans lost their tails. Could it be that they started cutting them off like Goku and Vegeta because the great ape form was too dangerous?
Wow! I just watched the presentation and they said that "He is a saiyan from a time that is not from Goku's!"

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Whoa, the cinematic trailer for this game looks amazing! That was too good of a cinematic trailer for a mobile game of all things. :lol:

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Why have they gone with 3D models for a mobile game? It's nonsensical, specially after FighterZ.
BANDAI already did 2D fighting DB games on Android/iOS devices so I assume they want to try something somewhat new, that being, 3D behind-the-shoulder combat. Besides, you just tap on it and that it's, doesn't take much effort. I'm disappointed Tap Battle was never released in the West.

By the way, TEKKEN on Android/iOS is another stellar game by BANDAI.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am

Did anyone else watch the cinematic trailer or are we just still all too busy being amazing by that new Super movie teaser? :lol:

This cinematic looks absolutely wild! It reminds me of the Jojo openings. CG animation made to look like 2D animation. It's sooo good.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
If they ever try to make a CG Dragon Ball movie/show/special, this is what it should look like. Shits all over the 4D CG short films.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Nero<>Akira wrote:Toriyama made Sub-Zero into a Saiyan.
More like Sonic the Hedgehog
So someone else see a Sonic as well.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:48 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:
BANDAI already did 2D fighting DB games on Android/iOS devices so I assume they want to try something somewhat new, that being, 3D behind-the-shoulder combat. Besides, you just tap on it and that it's, doesn't take much effort.
Nobody is talking about gameplay. I'm talking about processing power. Rendering 3D models is not the same as rendering 2D art. The latter is requires less and looks better. If they want to limit themselves with low res models and lower number of devices, that's their choice. I think it's a perfectly valid criticism.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
SuperCyan2 wrote:
BANDAI already did 2D fighting DB games on Android/iOS devices so I assume they want to try something somewhat new, that being, 3D behind-the-shoulder combat. Besides, you just tap on it and that it's, doesn't take much effort.
Nobody is talking about gameplay. I'm talking about processing power. Rendering 3D models is not the same as rendering 2D art. The latter is requires less and looks better. If they want to limit themselves with low res models and lower number of devices, that's their choice. I think it's a perfectly valid criticism.
But if you're talking about processing power why mention FighterZ? Also I really don't think it would be as much of an issue as you think, most 3D games on mobile are well optimized and can look genuinely decent. Hell, we just got Fortnite on mobile.

Battery drainage however... well I'm hoping there will be a 'save power' option.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tm9CZS-xc

The animation looks more fluid and fast-paced than Xenoverse so that's nice though I wish BANDAI would give DB RPG Console/PC games a chance again such as a sequel for 'Attack of the Saiyans' that was an incredibly great game.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:42 pm

"lul what" and "not really" are not worthwhile posts, and may be deleted at the discretion of the moderation/administrator that comes across them.

If you don't have anything worth saying, you don't need to post.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::