Is toriyama gearing up to step down?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Is toriyama gearing up to step down?

Post by Xeztin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:28 am

I believe in one of the interviews he mentioned the anime was ending for now and others (directors I belive) said the ending would set up future stories. Am I the only one that thinks Toriyama is trying to put Dragon Ball in a position where stories can be made without him? Theres all these companies and people involved and Toyotaro himself. It seems to me that Funi/Shueisha/Toyotaro/DB Room will be the ones to come up with the stories after ge retires for good. I also think he is retiring Goku with him, MUI seems to be the perferct form and the white hair makes him look like a mastered martial artist at his peak of age (should be in 40’s by now) Saiyans have no limit but it seems it’ll be hard to top a form that surpasses the Gods. The new movie seems to be about Saiyan might and ancestory, which would be a good final opponnent and swan song for Goku. Does anyone else think Toyotaro will practically be stepping down after the movie and letting Toyotaro and company come up with a next generation Boruto type of continuation? Goku would probably take the back seat master role if I had to guess? This movie could be the end of Goku’s role and it’d be the perfect end if we get all our awnsers about the Saiyan race because at this point he will be the strongest opponent in all universes even over the Gods except the 4 we don’t know of that did not participate.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is toriyama gearing up to step down?

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:26 am

Xeztin wrote:It seems to me that Funi/Shueisha/Toyotaro/DB Room will be the ones to come up with the stories after ge retires for good.
Surely you mean Toei and not Funi?
No way Funimation are going to be coming up with the stories.
Otherwise it's a maybe for me. I can understand leaving the direction of the franchise to others now that Goku has come so far, but with Toriyama, you never quite know. I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least a handful more stories to tell.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:47 am

Xeztin wrote: Does anyone else think Toyotaro will practically be stepping down after the movie and letting Toyotaro and company come up with a next generation Boruto type of continuation? Goku would probably take the back seat master role if I had to guess? This movie could be the end of Goku’s role and it’d be the perfect end if we get all our awnsers about the Saiyan race because at this point he will be the strongest opponent in all universes even over the Gods except the 4 we don’t know of that did not participate.
No. I don't think so.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:58 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Xeztin wrote:It seems to me that Funi/Shueisha/Toyotaro/DB Room will be the ones to come up with the stories after ge retires for good.
Otherwise it's a maybe for me. I can understand leaving the direction of the franchise to others now that Goku has come so far, but with Toriyama, you never quite know. I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least a handful more stories to tell.
Yeah i meant toei :crazy:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:09 am

Xeztin wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Yeah i meant toei :crazy:
And i think you meant something else here too?

"Does anyone else think Toyotaro will practically be stepping down after the movie and letting Toyotaro and company come up with a next generation Boruto type of continuation?"

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:25 am

I actually think Toriyama prefers how he is working now. It's way more chilled out than when he was doing the original manga, and almost an advisory position at this point. He sets the key events and markers, creates new characters, but the laborious task of piecing it all together is done by someone else. It suits what we know about his personality, and he seems optimistic and happy in his interviews.

I can't see Toriyama ever officially stepping down.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 am

I remember him saying something like he's training Toyotaro so that he he could take over one day.