Is Goku a bad person?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin

Is Goku a bad person?

Post by Krillin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:08 pm

Goku has done many bad things including being a pervert, scamming Krillin, torturing Krillin and everything bad that could happen to either Krillin or Gohan

In Dragon ball super, Krillin is shown to get tortured by Goku as Goku is seen pulling him into battle and scamming him and his wife to join a stupid tournament.

And for Gohan, well, just watch Dragon ball z
Krillin

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is Goku a bad person?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 pm

When was Goku a pervert? Taking Bulma's panties off because he wasn't aware that woman and men have different genitals doesn't count.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:44 pm

He's not a bad person. He's pure of intentions. However his desire for a challenging fight can lead him to making decisions that put others at risk but he doesn't intend for people to get hurt or anything

Krillin

Post by Krillin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:51 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:He's not a bad person. He's pure of intentions. However his desire for a challenging fight can lead him to making decisions that put others at risk but he doesn't intend for people to get hurt or anything
Goku can do some bad things because he is not very smart, I can admit that he is oblivious to the bad actions he does and doesn't intend to hurt people, but still, his lack of intellect and lack of responsibility have caused a lot of damage to people or towns
Krillin

Krillin

Post by Krillin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:When was Goku a pervert? Taking Bulma's panties off because he wasn't aware that woman and men have different genitals doesn't count.
Fair enough, even if he is oblivious to what he is doing being bad, that doesn't mean it is fine what he does, what would you do if he just ran up to a female relative of yours to check her gender by... uhm... well, I'd say you would give him a good kick where is hurts
Krillin

Krillin

Post by Krillin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Krillin wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:When was Goku a pervert? Taking Bulma's panties off because he wasn't aware that woman and men have different genitals doesn't count.
Fair enough, even if he is oblivious to what he is doing being bad, that doesn't mean it is fine what he does, what would you do if he just ran up to a female relative of yours to check her gender by... uhm... well, I'd say you would give him a good kick where is hurts
I doubt this would really happen, but he has the potential of doing it.
Krillin

Krillin

Post by Krillin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 pm

My point being that even if Goku is oblivious to the bad things he does, it doesn't mean that it's all fine and there is nothing wrong with it.
Krillin

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:04 pm

He's not a bad person. But he is a complete idiot, though.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Did you need to, if I'm counting correctly, triple post topic creator?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 pm

How did Goku scam or torture Kuririn?

As for Z, giving Cell the senzu was morally questionable, but you make it sound like he hurt Gohan throughout the entire series?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm

ABED wrote:When did Goku scam or torture Kuririn?
Goku also physically abused Gohan in the Room of Spirit and Time, and he's also a wife beater.

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Goku also physically abused Gohan in the Room of Spirit and Time, and he's also a wife beater.

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
What? How did he physically abuse Gohan or beat Chichi?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:43 pm

ABED wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
What? How did he physically abuse Gohan or beat Chichi?
Sarcasm, my friend.

It's tiring seeing all of the "Goku is so terrible and evil" ideas people have had for the past several years.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Didn't the Goku is bad father happen because waaaay too many fans took TFS jokes as gospel rather than acknowledging that DBZA was just playing it for comedy and not trying to make a point about the actual character?

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Of course he is, that orange hillbilly beats his wife!

Nah, he may be selfish and an idiot, but he cares about his friends and innocent people. If he was so bad, he wouldn't be able to ride the Nimbus cloud.

He just has to lay off that fighting addiction, that stuff ain't good for the guy.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:15 am

No, He's just a bit stupid... and selfish.

That doesn't inherently make someone bad... and everything he does is out of a pure intention. He doesn't intentionally try to screw over other good people.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:25 am

Metalwario64 wrote:

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
For a second I thought you're bout to launch nation-wide Anti-Goku campaign

Be like "Lock Goku, or we riot!"

Arrest dat Universe 7-jeopardazing, bald-headed Krillin-harrasin, Gohan-abusing, Chichi beating, Kaioshin trollin pineapple haired, mickey-mouse eyed Saiyan man-child: Son Goku

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 am

GamerSkull wrote:No, He's just a bit stupid... and selfish.

That doesn't inherently make someone bad... and everything he does is out of a pure intention. He doesn't intentionally try to screw over other good people.
I agree with this. It's dumb he's willing to spare a murderer for the sake of a good fight, but Goku's heart is usually in the right place.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:03 am

I think, unfortunately, that Super has tainted a lot of people's perspective on Goku as a character. That and along with that oft used Toriyama quote that he never meant for Goku to be Superman, I think people's impression of Goku has soured over the last couple of years.
MasenkoHA wrote:Didn't the Goku is bad father happen because waaaay too many fans took TFS jokes as gospel rather than acknowledging that DBZA was just playing it for comedy and not trying to make a point about the actual character?
Yes...and no? I think "Goku being a bad father" initially started out as a gag, but has grown to more prominence, especially as Gohan grew more as a character. In DBZ Gohan virtually idolizes his father. In Abridged, it's a lot more complicated than that. And it's implied a lot of his anger comes not only from his mix heritage, but also because he has (at best) mixed opinions about Goku, which apparently goes to full on hatred in Future Trunk's timeline.

Yeah, a lot Goku's sociopathy is played up for laughs, but I do think, especially as the writing got better, that TFS were making a point at how flawed Goku's constant optimism could have a negative affect on the people around him.

Krillin

Post by Krillin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:24 am

Vijay wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:

Lock him up!
Lock him up!
Lock him up!
For a second I thought you're bout to launch nation-wide Anti-Goku campaign

Be like "Lock Goku, or we riot!"

Arrest dat Universe 7-jeopardazing, bald-headed Krillin-harrasin, Gohan-abusing, Chichi beating, Kaioshin trollin pineapple haired, mickey-mouse eyed Saiyan man-child: Son Goku
Goku scammed Krillin (Kuririn) by telling him and his wife that if they join the tournament of power they get 10 million zenni which was a lie, also, when he was training with Krillin, Krillin wanted to stop so he flew away but Goku grabbed him byt the leg and pulled him back into the torture field.
Krillin