Is the "Z" in Dragon Ball Z supposed to be pronounced "zee" or "zed"?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Is the "Z" in Dragon Ball Z supposed to be pronounced "zee" or "zed"?

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Obviously, it's pronounced "zee" when localized to the Americas, but I mean originally. The katakana used for the "Z" in the title spell out "zetto" in romaji. Is that a Japanese approximation for the Receive Pronunciation of the letter, i.e. "zed"?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Is the "Z" in Dragon Ball Z supposed to be pronounced "zee" or "zed"?

Post by Kakarot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Zetto is just how the Japanese pronounce Z.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Zetto is just how the Japanese say the letter Z. The French say Zed, the Spanish say Zeta, the Portuguese say Zê, the English say Zed and so on and so forth. Even though the English and Canadian generally pronounce it as 'zed', in Dragon Ball's case they tend to just say the American way instead, much how like they also say Say-un than Sai-yan.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:26 am

Depends on what part of the world you're in.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 am

You say it as "Z". Which is to say, however you read that letter is how you read that letter in the title. Z was chosen because it's the last letter of the English alphabet, and it's pronounced something like "Zetto" in Japanese, so really, there's no real "Correct" prounciation out of "Zee" vs "Zed".

But, due to bias brought about by the Funi-lead dubs putting a huge emphasis on "DRAGON BALL ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!", and the other dubs tending to follow the same mould, people generally assume the American way is correct.

Basically: Say it how you want; the "Correct" way is whichever way you pronounce the letter. It's as simple as that.
johnboy1 wrote:Is that a Japanese approximation for the Receive Pronunciation of the letter, i.e. "zed"?
No, I think that would be "Zeddo". I believe "Zetto" is just the Japanese word for the English letter. Though, I'm sure there's someone around here who knows better than I do, and can correct me on this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 am

I'm in the UK, and this always irks me because any time I mention "Dragon Ball Zed" people "correct" me that it's "Zee". Of course, we had the Funi/Ocean versions on TV (which I never saw until having watched the series subbed), so the American pronunciation stuck. The weirdest one was when someone backed up their correction with "you wouldn't call Jay-Z "Jay-Zed"". I suppose I'm supposed to call it "Doragon Boru Zetto" then. But hey, loads of people were snarky when the DBZ Kinect promo pronounced Saiyan correctly too.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 am

LostTimeLord wrote:But hey, loads of people were snarky when the DBZ Kinect promo pronounced Saiyan correctly too.
Don't forget IGN, too.

The thing is, these guys pronounced Saiyan correctly but FUNimation made up a pronunciation of their own by saying "Say-un" instead, so the FUNi fans think it's "wrong."
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:03 am

I've always pronounced it as Zee in my mind so i've always went with it