Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Great episode. Glad Frieza is back to life, hopefully he doesn't die too soon, lmao.

Exline wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:"B-b-but 17 you were gonna go on a trip with your family!"

18... he freakin saved several universes wtf lol.
Yeah I found that line so odd. So heartless as well lol? Like does it really matter? He could just get a damn boat from Bulma. 18 was being overdramatic af :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya that really threw me off.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Seriously though... wtf was Jiren's wish? How did they manage to just sweep that under a rug? lol
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:That does, of course, lead to the worst part of the episode. #18 saying with full sincerity and anguish, "Are you really okay with wishing countless dead people back to life? I thought you wanted a boat!" is officially the dumbest thing anyone has ever uttered in the history of Dragon Ball. If you're ever depressed that you have a dead-end job you hate, try not to think about the fact that someone actually got paid to write that. But I laud Ito Miki for actually managing to deliver that line with sincerity. That is impressive.
I ROFL'd so hard at that part, it didn't make any damn sense for her to say that at all lol
fadeddreams5 wrote:Seriously though... wtf was Jiren's wish? How did they manage to just sweep that under a rug? lol
Just like they did before with the no named Demi God Trunks transformation?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Seriously though... wtf was Jiren's wish? How did they manage to just sweep that under a rug? lol
Probably just revive his dead friends. That seems to be the implication due to all the focus on his backstory and how he's stuck in the past.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Fairly predictable and generic end, but still an entertaining episode. Freeza's back, all the universes are now aware of each other, Zenos actually showed some intelligence and acted like gods, and it leaves a ton of story possibilities for movies and whatever else they have planned

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Weejus wrote:Yes, lads! Ribrianne lives! It may have been a one second still, but it was worth it!

The episode was cool, too.
Share You Happiness as well Weejus, Ribrianne and Universe 2 Live and This was a moment we been Waiting nearly 4 Months for, but well worth it!

Indeed it was just a one second stil, but that spoke the WORLD to me and indeed to you as well as I can tell. What it means is that our Brianne, U2 and even more the other Universes are STILL apart of the DB Mythos and Now have Room to Grow and Become Stronger both in Power and in Character Development.

For Fandoms of these Characters ~~~ These Still Images where maybe just one Small Second of a Step, but They Speak a GIANT Leap of Possibilities for the Future if Toei wills it! :wink:

Also that Still is the BEST Image of 2018 in Pop Culture Media for me right Now! :thumbup:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Where is Zarbuto? :shock:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:24 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Exline wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:"B-b-but 17 you were gonna go on a trip with your family!"

18... he freakin saved several universes wtf lol.
Yeah I found that line so odd. So heartless as well lol? Like does it really matter? He could just get a damn boat from Bulma. 18 was being overdramatic af :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya that really threw me off.
I fucking howled laughing when #18 said that. Really hammers home how materialistic she is.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Not a perfect finale, and certainly one that was a bit too fanservicey at times for my tastes, but much better than I thought it would be. My favorite part was probably the bit on Zeno and how he intended to erase the winning universe anyway if they had made a selfish wish -- this serves to provide more insight on his character while also explaining why he was ultimately okay with the defeated universes coming back, despite the fact that he was initially planning to have them erased. I pretty much enjoyed all the character interactions except for the one between 17 and 18 (seriously, that was awful). Jiren is still easily the worst-written antagonist but at least he got a proper resolution for his character.

Overall, this arc was way longer and way more flawed than it had any right to be, but I suppose that was to be expected for a tournament this massive in scale. In retrospect, I'm actually not all that sure I want Super to come back as an ongoing TV anime and would be absolutely fine with it ending here, but hey, I'm definitely looking forward to the movie.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:26 pm

I couldn't have asked for a better episode to end things with. Easily one of DB's best and it was great to end things with Goku using the original Ssj form.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:28 pm

Much like why the main cast never got Zenkai's after the Freeza arc, it's one of those grand mysteries in Dragon Ball that we'll never get an answer to.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:29 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Just like they did before with the no named Demi God Trunks transformation?
That's different. I mean, it's also really bad, but that was just a random transformation (and I do mean random). Jiren's wish was the major drive of the main antagonist of the arc. It's almost the same as Goku Black never revealing who he is, and everyone just assuming it had to be Zamasu.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:32 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:That's different. I mean, it's also really bad, but that was just a random transformation (and I do mean random). Jiren's wish was the major drive of the main antagonist of the arc. It's almost the same as Goku Black never revealing who he is, and everyone just assuming it had to be Zamasu.
That would be funny as hell, but I got your point.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

burrito007

Post by burrito007 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:33 pm

i think it was great that Goku can't just go ultra instinct. Also seems good that he and vegeta are back to being evenly matched. They will find some newer path to power. maybe its permanent ultra instinct, maybe UI will be a multiplier on top like KKx20.

i have high hopes for the movie. good to see that its a much more even power-level playing field.

was also great nostalgia for vegeta/goku fighting on the rocks in their traditional stances.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 pm

I'm just halfway through the episode, but I needed to say that I was smiling the whole time. I'm at the moment of universe 11 erasure and the feels already... man.

This show has its ups and downs, but I'm at least glad they are ending it in such a great way that the tears are almost coming, well I hope they don't ruin it during the second half haha

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Are we really going with "Bura" as the spelling of Vegeta's daughter?

Anyway, I was waiting to see what Freeza would do after all this talk of betrayal, turns out, nothing. At least he come back to life again (omniverse record?) so they can do his payoff later, but he seems dangerously close to becoming defanged.

Hit and Jiren still have no character.

Gokuu not having Ultra Instinct anymore is so lame. It was his first progress in martial arts since teleportation, an the coolest thing in Super. Now he's just going to go back to "da da da da da!" spamming and being weaker than Beerus forever.

The fighting was really good the last 3 episodes though.
Last edited by RedRibbonSoldier#42 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:37 pm

Wasn't the remainder of the Freeza force killed in Resurrection F? How is there more of them?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:39 pm

It was alright, the fact that it was so damn predictable really made it somewhat of an issue, even if there were a couple of surprises in there. I really hoped the ending would be darker, the way the show ended just makes me feel like the tournament was pointless and the stakes were artificial. So much wasted potential this arc. Remember when Gohan was getting hyped to get a new form and finally break through? Peppridge farm remembers. Either way, I liked some moments such as goku and frieza working together, especially the animation before the final blow. It just feels a huge rush to the end, but Dragon ball has never been good at fleshed out endings
Last edited by Diccolo-420 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:40 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Wasn't the remainder of the Freeza force killed in Resurrection F? How is there more of them?
I'm just going to assume that some time has passed since the ending of the ToP and Freeza's managed to build up his empire again.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:41 pm

Okay, now time for a post with a little more substance.

Visually: Loved the storyboards. While there may have been individual scenes with more dynamic animation at other points in the arc, I think overall, an episode of Super has never looked better. I haven't been inclined to re-watch an episode of Super for quite some time, but I'll definitely be revisiting this one for the spectacle alone.

Music: I am not a fan of Sumitomo's work for DBS. While there are tracks of his that I do enjoy, I don't think his score is quite atmospheric enough for Dragon Ball (with certain exceptions). I was totally blown away with the music selection for this episode. This was a rare occasion where I found myself consistantly noticing his music in a positive way.

Story: The most Dragon Ball ending to this arc possible. Wouldn't have expected anything else from Toriyama. Some people hate stuff like this, but I love it. It's a reminder that Dragon Ball is first and foremost a story for kids with a positive outlook. Everybody is revived, Jiren is changed by his clash with Son Goku, Zeno's intentions are revealed (with a dark twist), Whis does something ridiculous (again), Freeza refuses to reform, and Son Goku and Vegeta keep pushing forward.