Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: Now that Super is finished, what is the overall consensus of the series?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:16 am

Mediocre at Best, Terrible at Worst.
DragonBallFoodie wrote:It had to adapt the Beerus and Resurrection arcs first, which I can understand, but that sort of spoilt things a bit for me since I'd seen those films already.
A one to two episode recap could have done the job, and in my opinion, their decision to waste the first 26 episodes on two movies instead of a recap is what hurt the series the most. After 26 episodes most if not all of the viewers would be so bored, and so hyped for something actually new and not a remake, that anything that came, would have to fire on all cylinders, which the U6 Arc didn't do. Toei's inability to fire on said cylinders ruined the mood of a lot of people, and made them more willing to judge the Zamasu Arc and the TOP even more harshly.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:40 am

ekrolo2 wrote:We really did not need it imo.
I'd agree if Toriyama managed to get DB to its full potential back in the day but it ended right when it was just getting started. I know it was over 500 chapters long when it ended but that'd be like ending One Piece after marine ford. Now thanks to Super and the movies he can go all out and give us everything he might've had he not gotten tired of the weekly deadline back in the day.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:43 am

Honestly, as for my own personal most prominent thought about this series as a whole?

131 Goddamn episodes and Gohan NEVER got to be awesome, not even once.

As of now he is still weaker than shit when compared against other fighters. Goku, Vegeta, 17, Freeza, Future Trunks. What do thse guys have in common? Gohan was stronger than all of them at the end of Z and now he is so much weaker than them that they could all probably one-shot him.

And I'm not saying that he needs to be the strongest but it would be nice if he wasn't still a complete pathethic piece if garbage after 131 goddamn episodes.

And no, taking out Dyspo was not impressive. Dyspo was fast but weaker than Stephen Hawking.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 am

sintzu wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:We really did not need it imo.
I'd agree if Toriyama managed to get DB to its full potential back in the day but it ended right when it was just getting started. I know it was over 500 chapters long when it ended but that'd be like ending One Piece after marine ford. Now thanks to Super and the movies he can go all out and give us everything he might've had he not gotten tired of the weekly deadline back in the day.
I don't see any of the new stuff as potential being realized, more as forced extending. Hell, I thought tge original run as is should've ended sooner, now it's almost farcically stretched out.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 am

Much better than GT, somewhat worse than Z.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I don't see any of the new stuff as potential being realized, more as forced extending. Hell, I thought the original run as is should've ended sooner, now it's almost farcically stretched out.
I like stories to be long (not Pokemon long) so for me I'm really happy to see DB continue but I understand where you're coming from.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:54 am

A very entertaining and fun series, with some real lows, but more than enough highs to make it worth at least one complete watchthrough.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:21 pm

I think a lot of people have already listed the usual like "writing, powerscaling etc".

I do like Dragon Ball Super but I did become less of a fan of the anime as time went but I did look forward to watching it or atleast a lot of the time.

I liked the sort of slice of life episodes that sort of gave those chill relaxing moments, seeing what the characters were doing in their daily lives.

Even though there was a lot of writing potential wasted (with a lot of added at the same time) and examples of this can be that expanded or adds to the story like Future Trunks training with King Kai however, I want to mainly look at the potential to really bring the cast together. Things like what the characters being on the tier of strength like Krillin and such.

With the large focus on the Saiyajins and their biology, I think this is a long time coming of this becoming like Poke'mon, where the merchandise is trying make everything out of the Saiyajins or anyone with an ink of blood. Which also leads me to say statements thrown about them did get a little much which we know they are a warrior race which I think it as more of an exaggerated hyperbole that gets stretched out to fit or suit the series. Which also leads me to say, way too much transformations for the Saiyajins.

While Super did introduce a lot of characters that expands Dragon Ball, I think the character Zeno personally ruins things with his ability to just "erase" things which I may have to think about to really expand my answer on that. But I do think Zeno shouldn't have been added to the story or atleast his ability to delete things.

It's a show that can be liked by almost all ages (though I think Super is mainly geared towards very young children).
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:00 pm

I'm not gonna give my opinion, I'm just give the consensus of what the fandom think of Super in this site since I don't care for the other social media site.[spoiler]-The retelling sucks.
    -Bad animation for the retellings.
      -Gohan is garbage.
        -SSBKKX10 and Hit were awesome and Frost is a Frieza knock off.
          -Copy Vegeta is terrible and most of the people were only interested on this when Ocean dub Vegeta returned.
            -Black is awesome with gimmicks, awesome voice and a neat mystery.
              -Trunks pulling things out of nowhere.
                -SHIDA
                  -I will never forgive the staff for retconing the Potara.
                    -Deux ex machina climax with Zeno making everything worse.
                      -Slice of life is good.
                        -Mah boy Buu is kicking ass, excited to see him in the Top
                          -Goku is a prick and Toppo is hilarious and annoying.
                            -Mah boy Gohan is back with a bang.
                              -Krillin and #17 GOD TIER, Toriyama is a hack.
                                -Caulifla, Kale and Ribrianne are the worst.
                                  -What Frieza returned again,screw super,it only cares for merchandise.
                                    -Hey Frieza is pretty cool guys.
                                      -Basil MVP
                                        -Mojito is evil
                                          -Krillin is awesome.
                                            -Japan hate Tien
                                              -Roshi is cool.
                                                -UI omen is awesome and Jiren is boring.
                                                  -Hit is hiding somewhere.
                                                    -TAKAKASHI and that Kamehameha.
                                                      -U4 is garbage and Anilaza was cool.
                                                        -Vegeta is back at it again with a repetitive speech.
                                                          -Gohan and Toppo were wasted.
                                                            -#17 the MVP.
                                                              -Jiren is Generic.
                                                                -Goku losing is predictable and unpredictable.
                                                                  -The ending was awesome with Freaking Frieza and Goku teaming up.[/spoiler]Did I missed something.
                                                                  Mostly active on discord.

sintzu
                                                                  Banned
                                                                  Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:I do think Zeno shouldn't have been added to the story or atleast his ability to delete things.
                                                                  I don't think he "kills" who he erases so I'd like to know more about that as maybe he sends them to another reality or something.

Jackalope89
                                                                  Advanced Regular
                                                                  Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
                                                                  Captain Strawberry wrote:I do think Zeno shouldn't have been added to the story or atleast his ability to delete things.
                                                                  I don't think he "kills" who he erases so I'd like to know more about that as maybe he sends them to another reality or something.
                                                                  I think its basically that they simply don't exist anymore. Like, how you would erase something you wrote down, or deleted on the computer. Just, well, gone.

sintzu
                                                                  Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:I think its basically that they simply don't exist anymore. Like, how you would erase something you wrote down, or deleted on the computer. Just, well, gone.
                                                                  That's worse than death when you think about it.

Cetra
                                                                  I Live Here
                                                                  Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
                                                                  Jackalope89 wrote:I think its basically that they simply don't exist anymore. Like, how you would erase something you wrote down, or deleted on the computer. Just, well, gone.
                                                                  Actually it is exactly what we fear what death is. Biologically and psychologically gone. In Dragon Ball it is just clear already that it is "death-death".
                                                                  "Citation needed."
                                                                  "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Vegeta_Sama
                                                                  Regular
                                                                  Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
                                                                  Location: Your mom's anus

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Cetra wrote:
                                                                  sintzu wrote:
                                                                  Actually it is exactly what we fear what death is. Biologically and psychologically gone. In Dragon Ball it is just clear already that it is "death-death".
                                                                  Well, that's if you don't belive in an afterlife
                                                                  Get Fucked, C_unt

Cetra
                                                                  I Live Here
                                                                  Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Post by Cetra » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:32 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
                                                                  Cetra wrote:
                                                                  sintzu wrote:
                                                                  Well, that's if you don't belive in an afterlife
                                                                  Even if you believe in an afterlife you normally are afraid that you might be wrong and nothing is there. Which is why you "believe" or "hope" as you do not know.
                                                                  "Citation needed."
                                                                  "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

mute_proxy
                                                                  Advanced Regular
                                                                  Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Overall it was ok, I've changed my mind about it being worse than GT, but it could really use some Kai treatment to fix the pacing issues

sintzu
                                                                  Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:49 pm

mute_proxy wrote:It could really use some Kai treatment to fix the pacing issues
                                                                  Kai cut out filler. Super's pacing issues, at least in its main arcs would need to be re-written to fix its pacing issues.

mute_proxy
                                                                  Advanced Regular
                                                                  Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
                                                                  mute_proxy wrote:It could really use some Kai treatment to fix the pacing issues
                                                                  Kai cut out filler. Super's pacing issues, at least in its main arcs would need to be re-written to fix its pacing issues.
                                                                  Not necessarily rewrite, but remove scenes that are meaningless and unnecessary. There are a lot of those

gofishus
                                                                  Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
                                                                  Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Post by gofishus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 pm

lancerman wrote:
                                                                  Asura wrote:
                                                                  lancerman wrote: Do you know what cohesive means? Nothing you described has anything to do with how the series progressed from beginning to end.

Super's last arc paid off the 12 universes teased in at the end of the first arc, paid off the UI teased in the 2nd arc, added to Freeza who was introduced in the 2nd arc, added to the U6 Saiyan story that began in the third arc, paid off the introduction of Zeno's erasing power that occured in the 4th arc, was the payoff for the tournament teased in the third arc. Basically everything in the show coalesced into the finale.

Now let's take Z. Saiyan to Freeza arc was cohesive. Then we skip 3 years and get a random Android arc that has nothing to do with the previous arc and only kinda tries to be relevant by name dropping the Red Ribbon Army by referencing some mad scientist we never heard of. Then the final arc has nothing to do with the rest of the show.

The only two arcs that do that in Dragon Ball are the King Piccolo arc and the 23rd Tournament arc.

Also most of your points are nitpicks at best. Did you have an issue with Vegeto making an energy sword out of nowehere in Z? SSJ Royal Blue is too much but SSJ grades 1 and 2, SSJ2, and SSJ3 are okay? Super Saiyan Royal Blue is basically Blue 2. Power scaling I'll grant you, but it was done for a reason. And Jiren's wish is just completely irrelevant.
                                                                  Cohesion is how everything comes together to form one whole product. I'm saying that no, it's not cohesive because it doesn't follow any kind of consistent logic. Nothing comes together, the arcs feel like their own separate entities that just abruptly end and begin with filler in between (end of the Future Trunks arc and the episodes after are a GREAT example of this), the arcs don't lead into each other like they did in Z. Things happen because they look cool, UI is probably the only thing I can point to and say there was some sort of foreshadowing or build up.

How on earth can you even compare Vegetto's energy sword to Trunks' spirit bomb sword? One is literally just energy in the shape of a sword (like Black), the other is a completely nonsensical Spirit Bomb which comes out of nowhere that Trunks doesn't even know how to do. Royal Blue doesn't even compare to the SSJ forms. It just pops up out of nowhere, no real explanation or foreshadowing given, and he stops using it after the tournament is over. Every SSJ form (with the exception of 3) had some sort of foreshadowing, some sort of build up, some sort of part in the story that hinted at the transformation. Royal Blue doesn't have that, it just randomly happens after a completely nonsensical scene in which Vegeta regains his stamina after getting bodied by Jiren and not even being able to get up. Very obviously just a fanservice form, given they completely forgot about it in the last episode. Just like they forgot about Jiren's wish, which is definitely not "irrelevant". An antagonist's motivation is anything but irrelevant.
                                                                  Exactly two arcs in Z led into each other. Everything else needed a time skip.

Put it this way, when Super started it's pretty obvious the entire thing built to the Tournament of Power. There's about a 0% chance Toriyama had a thought about Cell or Boo when he was writing the Saiyan arc. That's called cohesion.

And again they didn't forget about Jiren's wish, it just wasn't important. He lost. And even if he won we just found out it wouldn't matter because Zeno was going to erase everything anyways. It quite literally was irrelevant. It's not the big deal your making it out to be.
                                                                  I'm just wondering why Toppo being a GoD candidate was forgotten about. So he was a GoD then didn't become one after he was ringed out and now he doesn't want to be one again? Stamina issues during the ToP was also extremely inconsistent.

majinwarman
                                                                  I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
                                                                  Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
                                                                  Location: Freeza Planet 1

Post by majinwarman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 am

I have overall enjoy the show and ride. There were some bumps but still enjoyable. I never claim that this show is better than Z or Dragon Ball but it did up the world of Dragon Ball to us all. I may have issues with writing and pacing but I think I enjoy rewatching this show later on before the new movie. I hope to see more Dragon Ball in the future.
                                                                  Rating of the show: 7 out of 10
                                                                  Majinwarman
                                                                  So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
                                                                  A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.