"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Amir wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Rose voice sounds just like his base? He still sounds like Goku, but talk differently and his voice changes a bit when he yells, sounds more cocky and villain-ish. I love it.
Pretty much, yes, you are.
No, he's not. I feel the same way.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Here is a great question anyone think Episode 57 doesn't air this weekend. As April Fools is Sunday and it is easter weekend. I could see Adult Swim being asses and running here comes peter cotton tail the entire Toonami block. They sure know how to destroy there ratings doing dumb shit!! The ratings still are down after last years Toonami April Fools stunt.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Looks like Schemmel has toned down the British accent.

And while Vegeta's "I'm the star of this damn show!" was hilarious, it just feels out of place and unnecessary.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:20 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: And while Vegeta's "I'm the star of this damn show!" was hilarious, it just feels out of place and unnecessary.
I think you guys interpreted that line a little too literally. It might double as a funny meta reference, but "I'm the star of this show" has been used in figurative contexts as well so it's not extremely out-of-place and it fits Vegeta's character just fine.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:I think you guys interpreted that line a little too literally. It might double as a funny meta reference, but "I'm the star of this show" has been used in figurative contexts as well so it's not extremely out-of-place and it fits Vegeta's character just fine.
No, he is right to criticize. It seems FUNImation is trying to be a TFS aproach in this dub rather than caring about doing something faithful as their Kai dub.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Goku Black says Vegeta is the opening act and Vegeta responds by saying he is the star of the show. How is that out of place?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:48 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:I think you guys interpreted that line a little too literally. It might double as a funny meta reference, but "I'm the star of this show" has been used in figurative contexts as well so it's not extremely out-of-place and it fits Vegeta's character just fine.
No, he is right to criticize. It seems FUNImation is trying to be a TFS aproach in this dub rather than caring about doing something faithful as their Kai dub.
You know that Kai had references to TFS right?
And anyways, they have comedic moments of their own that aren't in-line with TFS, like Vegeta saying Copy Vegeta is an imposter, while he's voiced by Brian Drummond.
And, have you seen the original Japanese? If Super is as consistent with the original Japanese as I believe it is, then the original Japanese is trying to be like TFS. The animators & writers have put things in there that seem to be overt references to them, like Mr. Popo & the Zenos looking like their version of Popo's close-up eyes. Super's Goku also seems not too far removed from TFS' version of the character. Seriously, the Japanese version isn't taking itself incredibly seriously, so why should FUNi? The scripts are good, the direction is great, & the acting is top-notch. I really don't understand the problems with them having fun with a dub over being stupid with it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Starscreacher wrote:Goku Black says Vegeta is the opening act and Vegeta responds by saying he is the star of the show. How is that out of place?
Because it was a line absent in the original script?
Scsigs wrote:You know that Kai had references to TFS right? And anyways, they have comedic moments of their own that aren't in-line with TFS, like Vegeta saying Copy Vegeta is an imposter, while he's voiced by Brian Drummond. And, have you seen the original Japanese? If Super is as consistent with the original Japanese as I believe it is, then the original Japanese is trying to be like TFS. The animators & writers have put things in there that seem to be overt references to them, like Mr. Popo & the Zenos looking like their version of Popo's close-up eyes. Super's Goku also seems not too far removed from TFS' version of the character. Seriously, the Japanese version isn't taking itself incredibly seriously, so why should FUNi? The scripts are good, the direction is great, & the acting is top-notch. I really don't understand the problems with them having fun with a dub over being stupid with it.
You mean Kai or Kai 2.0? Cause the first one was an excellent dub that brought justice to the atrocious first FUNI dub and sorry, but the japanese trying to be like TFS? That's probably the silliest thing I ever read in this forum, sure Super has more comedic tone than its precedents, but with all due respect to TFS, I don't think Toei would waste time making direct references to them, all these examples were just coincidence, like Kaiser even addressed on the Abridged thread.
The japanese version is the original one, so any dub should follow that pattern not just make up lines to please mainstream fans who started to like the series because of popular fan parody.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Because it was a line absent in the original script?
In the original script, Black calls Vegeta "the opening act" or a "curtain raiser" depending on how the line is translated. The dub line has him respond in a way that's entirely fitting to the context of the conversation in an appropriately Vegeta-esque manner, whereas the original just has him yelling some generic insult.

If the dialogue was important then that's one thing, but you're upset over a small line with no narrative significance whatsoever that was arguably even improved upon. You really are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:47 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Here is a great question anyone think Episode 57 doesn't air this weekend. As April Fools is Sunday and it is easter weekend. I could see Adult Swim being asses and running here comes peter cotton tail the entire Toonami block. They sure know how to destroy there ratings doing dumb shit!! The ratings still are down after last years Toonami April Fools stunt.
I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know if there is a marathon this weekend?

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:08 am

What's the point of changing Black's voice when he turns Rose if he's the same exact person?? Especially when he changes his accent, like wtf!!! Super Saiyan doesn't turn you british..

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Starscreacher wrote:Goku Black says Vegeta is the opening act and Vegeta responds by saying he is the star of the show. How is that out of place?
Because it was a line absent in the original script?
It's consistent within the dub's internal logic, which is fine, as long as it's not out of nowhere, like Z's dub.
jeffbr92 wrote:You mean Kai or Kai 2.0? Cause the first one was an excellent dub that brought justice to the atrocious first FUNI dub and sorry, but the japanese trying to be like TFS? That's probably the silliest thing I ever read in this forum, sure Super has more comedic tone than its precedents, but with all due respect to TFS, I don't think Toei would waste time making direct references to them, all these examples were just coincidence, like Kaiser even addressed on the Abridged thread.
The japanese version is the original one, so any dub should follow that pattern not just make up lines to please mainstream fans who started to like the series because of popular fan parody.
Both, or at least it would be both if Toei didn't hate TFS. In the first 98 episodes of Kai, Sabat put specific references into the dub to reference them. By 2010, when the dub started, TFS got decently popular enough, enough to get the notice of the English dub studio & cast I might add. Sabat LOVES their work & both & Kyle Hebert have both cameoed in 3 of their movies; 2 for Sabat, 1 for Hebert. In Kai, there are specific blink & you'll miss it references in the dub to TFS, like Nappa saying he hates the media, or the Wilhelm scream on Namek (unless the Japanese team put it in the sound mix, but I doubt it), or Goku calling Mr. Popo scary looking. Then in the second part, he had them dub that 2-minute scene, that was then edited before it aired in all but one places it was going because Toei hates TFS, but I think we all know that by now (it also got them greylisted from working at FUNi for a while, which I think is taking things a little too far because who are Toei to say who another company can hire & not?). He's also friends with them & has gotten them in the Xenoverse game dubs.
Yes, Kai has gotten a phenomenal English dub, which the team worked incredibly hard to rectify every mistake, but it doesn't mean that they weren't having fun with it as well.

1. The Popo scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a10uETqty54.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine that that not belonging in DBZA, since they've made Popo like this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TytdpdUGqaw in their series. With the TFS memes floating out there, SOME people in Japan are bound to have seen them by now.

2. Goku's characterization being that of an inconsiderate manchild than his actual characterization of a man who loves martial arts, food, his friends & family, & meeting a challenge from Z, even in the Buu Saga (which suffers from more problems than Goku, to be frank). Even though it's more so to appease Toriyama, since he's complained about Goku's characterization in the prior anime fillers & movies, even in Japanese, it's hard not to imagine MasakoX playing canon Goku & him fitting better than Schemmel. Every time I hear Goku say something incredibly stupid in Super, or act really dumb, it's hard not to wonder if Toei's writers aren't taking influence from TFS in some ways.

3. The shot of the 2 Zenos having the same thing as Popo, which I would link to a clip if I could remember the video clip I saw that in.

It's hard not to think that the animators & writers aren't taking SOME influence from them. not a ton, but it's there. Yeah, we won't know if that's what those people are doing, but it's hard to think that some of these things are coincidences. I mean, it's the first time in the series we've seen Popo since the Buu Saga outside of GT & the characterization they give him is "Calm, stoic, threatening, & monotone." Granted, Popo wasn't exactly not those things, but he doesn't always embody those things. Those are things more in-line with Abridged Popo. But, hey, these are just my observations based on facts.
TRIZACK wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:Here is a great question anyone think Episode 57 doesn't air this weekend. As April Fools is Sunday and it is easter weekend. I could see Adult Swim being asses and running here comes peter cotton tail the entire Toonami block. They sure know how to destroy there ratings doing dumb shit!! The ratings still are down after last years Toonami April Fools stunt.
I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know if there is a marathon this weekend?
Adult Swim doesn't have any new shows or new seasons of any of their older shows coming out, so it's up in the air right now.
Hit!! wrote:What's the point of changing Black's voice when he turns Rose if he's the same exact person?? Especially when he changes his accent, like wtf!!! Super Saiyan doesn't turn you british.
It's how Schemmel thinks the character should be portrayed by him. His main reasoning being that, & he's stated this on multiple occasions, both in spoken & written form, that he's mimicking the speech patterns Marsters is using for Zamasu. However, that makes no sense because, even though Marsters can do good accents from what I've heard, all he's done is be slightly more articulate with his speech patterns than normal rather than be British. It also doesn't make any sense because Goku Black evolves into a different person than he originally was as Zamasu due to Goku's body affecting his mind. Then he used the "artistic license" excuse int hat Reddit AMA, rather than actually try to ask why people would say that the accent is too much for the character, which...didn't go down too well to put it lightly.
Basically, Schemmel thinks it makes sense, but his reasonings are unsupported thus far, so people are calling it out.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:12 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
They're dubbing this exactly how they dubbed their Kai/modern movie dubs. Nothing is different. In one of the Kai episodes Vegeta commented something as a "lame show" for example. (Thus keeping the dubs shows motif going). Only difference is folks seem more attuned to the JPN version for DBS that any slight deviation and people now pounce despite their being countless examples of the same dubbing techniques in modern DB since Kai like BoG movie Pilaf joked on why Trunks would fly a few feet, hardly anyone complained in BoG but if this happened now we'd be getting 3 pages of complaints.
TRIZACK wrote:
Nope "normal" schedule but that is what happened last year when they did the prank...

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 am

That is true it was normal; well April fools isn't until midnight so hopefully Super will not be affected. I know this is just wishful thinking on my part but.. one can dream right??? I fully expect to enter my Easter pissed because they delay the episode but guess we will see.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
In the original script, Black calls Vegeta "the opening act" or a "curtain raiser" depending on how the line is translated. The dub line has him respond in a way that's entirely fitting to the context of the conversation in an appropriately Vegeta-esque manner, whereas the original just has him yelling some generic insult.

If the dialogue was important then that's one thing, but you're upset over a small line with no narrative significance whatsoever that was arguably even improved upon. You really are making a mountain out of a molehill here.
BINGO! Finally somebody says it. Seriously, the complaints about the dialogue changes have been utterly ridiculous in my opinion. Call me when they change a line that actually changes the plot. We're not talking about real changes here, like with the Z dub, these are throw away lines that Funimation has taken liberties with.

Am I gonna sit here and defend what they replaced those lines with? No, but that's a separate debate entirely. You may not like the new lines, but if you're going to argue that they change the show, then you're flat out wrong. If you took two people who haven't seen Super, had one watch the sub and one the dub, and asked them what happened in the show, they would tell you the same plot.

For reference, this is what Black and Vegeta say in the sub.

I could easily see the translators thinking "Well gee, that doesn't sound like a very good come back to being called the 'opening act' " and making, what they felt, was an appropriate change to a non plot sensitive line.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:21 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

BINGO! Finally somebody says it. Seriously, the complaints about the dialogue changes have been utterly ridiculous in my opinion. Call me when they change a line that actually changes the plot. We're not talking about real changes here, like with the Z dub, these are throw away lines that Funimation has taken liberties with.

Am I gonna sit here and defend what they replaced those lines with? No, but that's a separate debate entirely. You may not like the new lines, but if you're going to argue that they change the show, then you're flat out wrong. If you took two people who haven't seen Super, had one watch the sub and one the dub, and asked them what happened in the show, they would tell you the same plot.

For reference, this is what Black and Vegeta say in the sub.

I could easily see the translators thinking "Well gee, that doesn't sound like a very good come back to being called the 'opening act' " and making, what they felt, was an appropriate change to a non plot sensitive line.
This, this and this

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:36 pm

People are still grasping at straws to find reasons to bash the dub I see.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:People are still grasping at straws to find reasons to bash the dub I see.
Don't they always? They treat Kai's dub as a dub that was exactly in-line with the Japanese, then say Super should be taking Kai's lead, when Kai's dub had the exact same dub team behind it that Super does & took, arguably, almost as many liberties as Super has thus far, just not even remotely as many as Z's dub did back when they didn't know what they were doing.
I think people hold Kai's dub in high regards because it's such a vast improvement from Z's after a decade of that dub aging poorly, & not being good in the first place, that it created this hype for Super's dub that's causing people to nitpick the hell out of the newer dub, even though that it's translated & scripted just as well as Kai's, if not more because of the groove they've gotten into with scripting the dub. Realistically, it's more the casting & acting choices that are more suspect than the scripts. Any script changes generally don't come from a stupid dub joke or a dumbing down of the source material like Z. It comes from the dub team understanding the material enough to write lines different from the Japanese, but they're only slight tweaks that still make sense. Honestly, people worry about the script for no reason.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:People are still grasping at straws to find reasons to bash the dub I see.
Don't they always? They treat Kai's dub as a dub that was exactly in-line with the Japanese, then say Super should be taking Kai's lead, when Kai's dub had the exact same dub team behind it that Super does & took, arguably, almost as many liberties as Super has thus far, just not even remotely as many as Z's dub did back when they didn't know what they were doing.
I think people hold Kai's dub in high regards because it's such a vast improvement from Z's after a decade of that dub aging poorly, & not being good in the first place, that it created this hype for Super's dub that's causing people to nitpick the hell out of the newer dub, even though that it's translated & scripted just as well as Kai's, if not more because of the groove they've gotten into with scripting the dub. Realistically, it's more the casting & acting choices that are more suspect than the scripts. Any script changes generally don't come from a stupid dub joke or a dumbing down of the source material like Z. It comes from the dub team understanding the material enough to write lines different from the Japanese, but they're only slight tweaks that still make sense. Honestly, people worry about the script for no reason.
People worry about the script because some changes are unnecessary.

What the heck is the point of having Vegeta say "Let's go see Yamcha"? It feels like a disservice to how Vegeta is originally written in the Japanese version.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

FutureTrunks

Post by FutureTrunks » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:02 pm

I have been watching the new dub and I like it
-Mark