Which universe were you most disappointed by, if any?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Which universe were you most disappointed by, if any?

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:22 am

Now that the ToP arc has finally come to an end, I figured that now was the perfect time to ask this question. So which universe was the biggest disappointment for you personally? I’d have to go with Universe 4 myself. They had some solid character designs, and the concept of them being relatively weak fighters who rely on underhanded tactics would've made for an interesting threat, but they ultimately didn’t amount to anything outside of eliminating Piccolo.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Which universe were you most disappointed by, if any?

Post by Pantalones » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:59 am

Mostly I was just disappointed that it seemed like universes 6 and 7 were just about the only ones getting eliminations. Base form Cabba sending Nigirishi flying in one blow stands out like a sore thumb to me... would be so much more interesting if he'd been one of those guys who was held back longer toward the end and then the 6th universe Namekians' introduction could be making a comment about their power finally "settling" and then stepping in to knock him out with some One Piece looking giant-stretchy-arm-punch combo right as he's powering up to prepare for a fight with Gohan and Piccolo, or something like that. Okay, maybe not the best example, that's still another 6th Universe win but at least it's a bit more variety and not "All Saiyans, All The Time." Plus, two mystery characters showing up with a team-up attack defeating a "hyped" character as their introduction would be way more interesting than a kinda bland character we've already seen finishing him off in a single casual blow.

With all the "out in one hit" or "weak in terms of raw power, but with a dangerous ability" characters we ended up having, there should've been plenty of eliminations to go around, plenty of interesting fights between two "oddball" characters with their own weird powers clashing against each other rather than just brute force. But nope, we ended up with Goku and Vegeta in the double digits and nobody outside the 6th and 7th universes getting more than 3 or so, if any.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:09 am

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but U4 to me was a bit of a waste. They came into the tournament with two hidden fighters that were pissed away in one episode. I completely forgot about them until tonight.

U2, U3, U6, U7, U9, U10, and U11 all had very memorable moments. U4 fell flat for me

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:12 am

Yeah definitely universe 4. What was even the point of them being there to begin with? All they really contributed was knocking off Piccolo unceremoniously. There was nothing memorable or particularly interesting about them, and I predict in the manga they're all just going to be completely fodderized, especially considering how its been shown the anime does place more emphasis on things than were originally intended.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 am

Universe 10. From a Universe whose defining trait is brutal strength and was home to the most powerful Kai who had ever lived, I expected far more from them. Instead, they were a bunch of grunts and fools who achieved literally nothing in the Tournament. I guess this can be blamed on Gowasu's and Rumsshi's utterly incompetent and uninspiring leadership.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:50 am

Universe 4 by an absolute landslide. I made a giant ass post detailing how fucking retarded and subversive the writing was for that universe. Built up throughout the tournament (and even before it) and yet they do jack diddly squat and get erased in quite literally the worst written Super episode of all time.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:09 am

Universe 11 and Universe 6 Saiyans kids..
Universe 11 because it could have been way better, Universe 6 speaks for itself..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 am

Universe 4 could have done better, and it was disappointing to see only U7 and U6 racking up the eliminations. U4 could have eliminated some more fighters for sure, considering their sneaky tactics, and the whole arc would have been better in my opinion as it made sense, for the way things were presented, that other universes barely did anything.
U9 rushed towards U7, U10 was just a bunch of helpless guys except for Obuni, U3 had the tactic to avoid conflicts to have numerical superiority by the end of the tournament, U2 had lot of screentime but could have done more too, U11's majority of fighters was made quick work of by the Saiyan girls and the androids. Universe 4 barely did anything against other universes and it was a shame because a few more fighters could have been eliminated by them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:54 am

Universe 10, and it's not even close.

Say what you will about Universe 4 and Universe 3, but Universe 4 actually contributed something to tournament in most important aspect of actually eliminating fighters and took out one of the best performing combatant in the entire tournament up to that stage, and Universe 3 was a major threat the strongest fighters that Universe 7 had to offer and was indirectly responsible for Universe 7 losing another fighter. Both Universe 3 and 4 had some kind of effect in the plot. Fucking nobody on Universe 10 contributed anything of importance or really feel as if they were a challenge. And the only character that who managed to do something was Obuni. But he didn't last long when Gohan went Ultimate.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:26 am

I'd have to choose Universe 4 if only because of the sheer gap between what I wanted and what I actually got. I loved their character designs (they look like they came straight out of a Dragon Quest game) and their abilities were interesting as well, which just made it such a shame that they ended up amounting to so little in their overall presence. Universe 10 contributed the least, but they were also the type of fighters that you could simply look at and tell that they weren't going to have any significance from the outset, so that didn't sting me quite as much.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:47 am

U2 had Rebiranne so that by far is the worst one. Next would be U10 as I expected more from the universe that gave us DB's best villain (Black). U6 was also disappointing as instead of giving us truly new characters like Hit we got 3 Saiyans and 2 Namakians, as if we didn't have enough of those.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Universe 4

At the end of the day, there can only be one winner and having never seen any of the other universes characters fight before, I have no reason to expect one to perform above the other with the exception of those who were hyped. There's a reason we feel U4 was disappointing. The smugness and confidence of their God. The idea that tactics would matter just as much as strength an in some situations overcome raw power. How Beerus reacted when he realized they had "missing" members. The stage was set for U4 to have a great performance and they failed, miserably.

This is why I wasn't too disappointed in Universe 9 and 10. One universe had the lowest mortal level/was confirmed garbage and the other received the opposite of hype. In order for me to be disappointed, I would need to have high expectations to begin with. Which brings me to the second most disappointing universe...Universe 11 with the exception of Jiren. The fact they were a team who has experience fighting together, and how little eliminations they contributed makes them the most disappointing to me.

None of the pride troopers had a great performance with the exception of Jiren. Toppo literally became a God, and still didn't get any eliminations. Dyspo was outsmarted once by hit and again by Gohan and Frieza. Opponents who he was superior to before they adapted. The rest of the Pride Troopers were a complete non factor.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Universe 4: They were build up to be a threat with the hidden warriors but turn out they was weak and ep 119 was one of the worst episode in this arc.
    Universe 10: Most of the warriors are forgettable and they didn't put a good fight aside from Obuni and Napappa also Obuni should have gotten more screentime in the recruitment.

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:06 pm

U2.Maybe I just had a lot of expectations from them,but they were not completely unfounded.Three of them were magical girls which are usually quite op and you had ribrianne fighting vegeta,they had two hidden fighters,one yardrat and a tuffle.
    That's seven safe guesses.
    Secondly,U11 for main antagonists they were pretty underwhelming.
    Third,U4 they had a lot of build up that went nowhere.
    Why power levels are important?
    The genre and roots of dragon ball

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:53 pm

Universe 4 no doubt is the worst Universe along with U10 and U11.
    Mostly active on discord.

OverHeaven
    Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:13 pm

I'd choose universe 4 of course.
    Universe 10 was shit, but at least they didn't hype them or foreshadow some hidden fighters that made their god comfortable and not worried at all even after he saw Jiren vs Goku. like that was one of the most retarded things in Super, the hidden fighters were the worst of course, but all other fighters were bad as well. Nothing worthy at all.

Also, universe 10 had that Obuni guy

FoolsGil
    I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:21 pm

I think all of the universes were bad in their own way, but I think I was most disappointed by U4. Damon the Idiot Bug, Gamisaras the Idiot Invisible Humanoid. Why were these idiots not trying to run out the clock?

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 am

U4 had so much potential, the bugs were hidden for so long turned out disappointing and since the mouse GoD of their universe was designed purely by Toriyama and the only one to get any sort of merch and his universe turned out like that...? Yeesh.

Lionel
    I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Everyone has given good explanations for the shortcomings of the tournament, in my opinion. There needed to be less of a dependence on Universes 6 and 7 for the bulk of progressional contestant loss in the tournament. You could probably count on one hand the amount of priority that was given to the to the other universes battling each other respectively. Yes, the protagonists of the show are from Universe 7, but that doesn't mean it needs to be perpetually geared towards detailing their every footprint and exhortation.