Will Frieza use his experience in the ToP to become a more dedicated martial artist?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Will Frieza use his experience in the ToP to become a more dedicated martial artist?

Post by larzooma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 am

Frieza, in contrast to characters like Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo, dedicates little or no time to training, so he can both grow in strength and perfect himself as a martial artist. From the start, he's always been presented as a prodigy, fortunate to be born into a race with both a high degree of power inherently and the capacity to gain in power at an amazingly accelerated rate.

Do you think he will come away from this experience with a new resolve to train, not only to fulfill his revenge against Goku, but to remain in contention with the likes of Jiren and GoD Toppo? One thing Frieza hates is being outright humiliated, and his treatment at the hands of GoD Toppo was enough that I actually considered it a possible "limit breaking" moment for his character, given the sheer anger and embarrassment he felt by being manhandled, could act as a similar motivator to Vegeta's pride for pushing him to a level higher than Golden. It never happened, but I can't believe it won't have a lasting affect on how he see's himself related to the most powerful mortals. Given the accelerated rate his race can gain power, he could easily move to or close to the top by the time anything happens in the future involving the Z fighters or character's on Jiren's level.

It would be cool to see how they develop him as a character, if they decide to keep him as part of whatever venture they have planned for the future. I have a feeling they're going to keep Frieza and 17 around as two top tier characters for future plot development involving them as alternatives to Goku and Vegeta, along the same lines as Piccolo during Z (I wouldn't mind a little Piccolo love come the next iteration, but who knows). Gohan's the third character on that list, I think will remain a top contender and move up enough to act as an alternate when times call for it.

It would be nice to see some sort of plot development where Jiren returns, and Frieza's able to show he's gained enough to hold his own against him and GoD Toppo (if he's still capable of tapping into that state after the ToP).

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Will Frieza use his experience in the ToP to become a more dedicated martial artist?

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 am

"Marial artist"? No, I wouldn't say so personally. The experiences he shared by having partaken in this alleged multiversal bloodbath for survival will have placated some of Freeza's pent up aggression. It was the perfect event to give Freeza the kind of release he needed. Couple that with his obligatory need to begrudgingly work together with Goku helped offer a new outlook on the intricacies of interfactional warfare and the strategic complications that come with achieving your goal. The experience has lent some clarity on what value even your mortal enemy can provide under the proper conditions. Freeza will probably take that lesson to heart as he sets about rebuilding his empire. He could train to ensure that his power status doesn't fall behind Goku's. I wouldn't expect anything much greater than that. They would make impressive co-belligerents under the right conditions. Otherwise, Freeza's best hope for survival now is to stay as far away from Goku and Earth as possible. Leave him to grow old and retire before making a move against the planet.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will Frieza use his experience in the ToP to become a more dedicated martial artist?

Post by larzooma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am

Lionel wrote:"Marial artist"? No, I wouldn't say so personally. The experiences he shared by having partaken in this alleged multiversal bloodbath for survival will have placated some of Freeza's pent up aggression. It was the perfect event to give Freeza the kind of release he needed. Couple that with his obligatory need to begrudgingly work together with Goku helped offer a new outlook on the intricacies of interfactional warfare and the strategic complications that come with achieving your goal. The experience has lent some clarity on what value even your mortal enemy can provide under the proper conditions. Freeza will probably take that lesson to heart as he sets about rebuilding his empire. He could train to ensure that his power status doesn't fall behind Goku's. I wouldn't expect anything much greater than that. They would make impressive co-belligerents under the right conditions. Otherwise, Freeza's best hope for survival now is to stay as far away from Goku and Earth as possible. Leave him to grow old and retire before making a move against the planet.
I would normally agree, but he's dedicated most of his existence to killing Goku based solely on the fact Goku defeated him. Goku always showed his typical level of respect though even for Frieza. GoD Toppo, on the other hand, outright manhandled Golden Frieza, while both treating and calling him trash. I can't see him come out of this tournament after seeing the likes of Jiren, GoD Toppo, UI Goku, and even Vegeta's beyond SSJB form, and not want to push himself to surpass them in terms of power. He doesn't like knowing there's other people out there stronger than him. The tournament had to be a wake-up call to make him realize he needs to dedicate himself more to growing in power, at least enough to catch up with the pack. I don't see it taking long given how quickly his race gains in power, but still. His best bet is definitely staying away while he rebuilds his forces, but he also needs to get himself to a level where he knows he can take on both Goku and Vegeta, not to mention what he saw from Goku and 17. They have 4 powerful warriors seemingly at the ready, if he gets out of line, and although he may be able to build a large enough force to conquer parts of the galaxy, he's going to come to a day where he would need to face the Z fighters to continue expanding without contest. The exposure to people on the level of Jiren, and knowing mortals exist with power that great, has to spark something in Frieza to want to push himself to his next transformation and next level of power.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:20 pm

Then he trains for a duration of several years using the best technology his empire has to provide. With his potential he should reach Jiren's tier in no time. If somehow he developed a new transformation in the process then his power might overtake Goku's. I think that should be more than accomodate to compensate for his humiliation. He can even take it one step further by hunting Beerus down and killing him after his subjugation at the Hakaishin's hands in the tournament.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Lionel wrote:Then he trains for a duration of several years using the best technology his empire has to provide. With his potential he should reach Jiren's tier in no time. If somehow he developed a new transformation in the process then his power might overtake Goku's. I think that should be more than accomodate to compensate for his humiliation. He can even take it one step further by hunting Beerus down and killing him after his subjugation at the Hakaishin's hands in the tournament.
Possibly, but Beerus did give him his life back as a reward for doing well. For all you know, Beerus may be starting to sweat knowing there's a handful of characters that could test him eventually with enough training. Goku and Vegeta may already be at the point where they could contend. Although, the end left it a little vague on Goku accessing UI, and ignored Vegeta's unique transformation. Despite my belief, Goku at the level he was when teaming with Vegeta against Jiren, was close to Vegeta in his Beyond SSJB form when using KK x 20. Could he maintain it long enough to defeat Vegeta, even if it made them equal in power? That's a different story. My point is Vegeta, even if capable of using his new form after the ToP, isn't far ahead of Goku, if at all.

Back to Frieza, I don't think he has an astronomical amount of ground to cover to come into contention, so it wouldn't require that much training. When 17 watched Jiren and Golden Frieza facing each other, his comment regarding them being tough ones, had a dual purpose. First, it sort of set straight the idea 17 may be stronger than Golden Frieza because 17 himself pointed to the fact he's not at that level. Second, it gave a little support to the notion Frieza came into this tournament as the second strongest U7 warrior, and never had a chance to show off his true power in Golden Form. Although, the gains made by Goku and Vegeta during the tournament, and the limit breaking experience they both had near the end, probably widened the gap, putting him a decent amount in third. A nice testament to how powerful he truly was in his mastered Golden Form would have been an outright fight with GoD Toppo without preempting the battle with Frieza's stupid pride causing him to take a direct shot from a huge ball of Hakai energy. At that point he exerted little stamina, and may have been able to do something against GoD Toppo.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:52 pm

He spent 4 months punching Tagoma and went from being weaker than Namek Saga Goku to beating down SSB Goku. We know Freeza won't stop being evil and he still hates the saiyans as much as ever. He should just rebuild his force and spend his time training intensively until he can reach the power he felt in the ToP from the likes of Jiren and UI Goku and then train some more just to make sure any stamina issues can be worked out and then go and attempt to kill Beerus first. If he succeeds in that, then he may be able to get his hands on the job of GoD and now Whis would be working for him and he can exact revenge on goku and co without worrying about whis rewinding time or reviving them.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:He spent 4 months punching Tagoma and went from being weaker than Namek Saga Goku to beating down SSB Goku. We know Freeza won't stop being evil and he still hates the saiyans as much as ever. He should just rebuild his force and spend his time training intensively until he can reach the power he felt in the ToP from the likes of Jiren and UI Goku and then train some more just to make sure any stamina issues can be worked out and then go and attempt to kill Beerus first. If he succeeds in that, then he may be able to get his hands on the job of GoD and now Whis would be working for him and he can exact revenge on goku and co without worrying about whis rewinding time or reviving them.
Although the original assumption was he remained at a fixed level close to Namek level, and made all of his gains starting from that weak level, the fact he could both learn to control a form and gain in power through mental training while in Hell, brings that assumption into question. He spent a considerable amount of time before being release, and we don't know how much he could have increased simply using the same method as he did post RoF. Even still, he would have had to make a considerable jump forward. Luckily, it's built into his races backstory that they start at a high level and have the ability to make prodigious gains without much effort. I can definitely see this experience pushing him to train enough that he's confident enough to defeat a fully powered Jiren and Mastered UI Goku, but his own pride and lack of commitment usually acts as a natural deterrent for him continuing on beyond that level to gain more and more power. It's one of the interesting facets of Frieza's character. If he really wanted to dedicate himself to training, he could easily outclass anyone, but this overpowering narcissism and arrogance keeps him in check because he wants to show these fighters, who dedicated so much to reach this astronomical level, that he did the same with so much less time and effort.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 am

Frieza has the natural ability for incredible power, but he's also inclined to make people do his bidding and make them do all the fighting for him.
He only gets into serious fighting if there's absolutely no other way he'll win.
He's rather lazy in that regard.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Freeza? A martial artist? Nah.

I doubt Freeza's fighting style or even state of mind will change whenever he's in contact.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"