How will they fix the writing problem that Super had?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

How will they fix the writing problem that Super had?

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm

We all know that Super had very inconsistent writing from its characters to its power scaling. It made things pretty obvious that there ware different people writing each episode. With the likelihood of another DB tv series coming back, how will they be dealing with such problems? WAHT ARE EVEN THE ROOTS OF THESE PROBLEMS?

1. It could be that the writers need to coordinate so that they all know what each other is going to write so that they can match things up so that the episodes and story flow better. So basically fix the lack of communication

2. Maybe its just the pre-planning problem? Super obviously had a pre-planning problem which greatly affected the quality of art and animation but did that affect the writing too? If thats the cases then for the next DB series they just need to take their time before the start to broadcast the show

3. No base. By this i mean nothing to base the writing off of. With DB and DBZ, they both had full fledged manga to go off of. With Super, we only have key points from Toriyama, leaving the other stuff to be filled in and with soo many cooks in the kitchen, it turns into a mess. IDK how to fix that problem.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How will they fix the writing problem that Super had?

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Less writers and better planning is a good start. But they will never please everyone, that's impossible for everything.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 pm

what writing problems?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Or maybe only a very vocal minority of western fans care about any of this shit.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:56 pm

I think it's a mixture of 1 and 2. Maybe they weren't able to coordinate as well as they could've had they been given a better pre-planning schedule.

That said I hope King Ryu returns to Dragon Ball whenever Dragon Ball itself returns to weekly TV. They left early in the tournament and I was sad to see them go.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm

They won't.

Super is a mega-hit, they won't change it at all.

For the record, I think the way they should do it is to make Toyotaro's manga weekly, then do the anime as ~26-episode seasons based on the manga.
Perhaps do some kind of spinoff in the off-time, such as a Dragon Ball Heroes anime or something, so they still have some Dragon Ball airing all year round.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Either base the next anime on the manga, or have Toriyama be very hands on and keep making annual (or semi-annual) films with him.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Better pre-production and more time to write and look over each episode's script will help a lot.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:45 am

PFM18 wrote:what writing problems?
Where to start?

The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 am

DBS in my opinion is on par with OG DB for the best written series. Z and GT were by far written so much worse.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:06 am

Chuquita wrote:I think it's a mixture of 1 and 2. Maybe they weren't able to coordinate as well as they could've had they been given a better pre-planning schedule.

That said I hope King Ryu returns to Dragon Ball whenever Dragon Ball itself returns to weekly TV. They left early in the tournament and I was sad to see them go.
I miss king ryu,I thought he was going to head writer,but he just vanished.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:15 am

Just have an extremely good series director, a better rotation of competent writers and a better planning stage and you're set.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:48 am

The huge inconsistencies between writers and the lack of pre planning

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:50 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:DBS in my opinion is on par with OG DB for the best written series. Z and GT were by far written so much worse.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Even with Z’s problems I still found it much better written

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DBS in my opinion is on par with OG DB for the best written series. Z and GT were by far written so much worse.
I wouldn't quite go that far but I do agree that I think it was a well written series. I frlt it had a lot more creative conflicts than Z did and it did more with some characters. But I wouldn't go as far as to say it was outright better than Z in terms of writing. I consider the three of them to be prrtty darn close and I really don't know which to be better/worse I consider them to be essentially equals.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:15 am

The Patrolman wrote:
Where to start?

Oh, Crowley

Planning could certainly help. I also think writing towards some end goal could only benefit the story. Are they going to go indefinitely?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:19 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:We all know that Super had very inconsistent writing from its characters to its power scaling. It made things pretty obvious that there ware different people writing each episode. With the likelihood of another DB tv series coming back, how will they be dealing with such problems? WAHT ARE EVEN THE ROOTS OF THESE PROBLEMS?
In order to discuss these “problems” you need to put more substance into your post. What problems are you talking about? Be more specific.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:19 am

Hugo Boss wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:We all know that Super had very inconsistent writing from its characters to its power scaling. It made things pretty obvious that there ware different people writing each episode. With the likelihood of another DB tv series coming back, how will they be dealing with such problems? WAHT ARE EVEN THE ROOTS OF THESE PROBLEMS?
In order to discuss these “problems” you need to put more substance into your post. What problems are you talking about? Be more specific.
How about one episode having a character use up all their energy or even say that they’re out of power and then the next on have them back up and ready at their strongest form? How about more logical powerscaling? How about not hyping up characters just for them to be one offs like the horrible sniper of Universe 2 episode or sneaks of Universe 4 episode? Stuff like that.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:22 am

Kuwabara wrote:Or maybe only a very vocal minority of western fans care about any of this shit.
Maybe but how would you know? You’re no more than just one person commenting something completely unproductive to my post. Anyway, I’ve seen people complain about this a lot. Not as much as how it looks because many just watch for awesome fights, but many also care about storytelling too. The fact that its a kid show doesn’t mean good writing doesn’t matter

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:26 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
GT? Yes. But Z? How?

Z had more consistent powerscaling and episode consistency. And they actually showed Goku’s growth as a character. He wasn’t just a child unlike Super. Super was good but its writing was more flawed dhan Z. Infact, Super had the problems of Z and a bit more.