That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! manga is being released by Viz!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! manga is being released by Viz!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry if this is old news!

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMed ... =3&theater

EDIT: I FUCKING HATE VIZ MEDIA!

See what they said about the manga:
Announcement: Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! releases November 2018. This manga follows a die-hard Dragon Ball fan who is reincarnated as Yamcha—Dragon Ball’s biggest punching bag and total internet meme.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Re: Yamcha manga is being released by Viz!

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Not cool, Viz. Not cool.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: See what they said about the manga:
Announcement: Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! releases November 2018. This manga follows a die-hard Dragon Ball fan who is reincarnated as Yamcha—Dragon Ball’s biggest punching bag and total internet meme.
Ridiculous. An official company should never say something like that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Sorry if this is old news!

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialVIZMed ... =3&theater

EDIT: I FUCKING HATE VIZ MEDIA!

See what they said about the manga:
WTF, VIZ? Seriously, why do you guys have to be like that? :x

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 pm

I certainly can't blame them from getting ahead of it that way from a marketing standpoint. It's everything all these companies are doing with the character, and it's playing well with the greater fandom. Why not cash in on it that way? It's not like Toei and Shueisha themselves are totally blameless, either.

At the same time, the underlying message in the manga itself with regard to Yamcha is so earnest and sympathetic and kind-hearted, and that is going to be completely lost and overshadowed by its marketing. So long as the underlying content and its translation remains intact, I can only bring myself to care so much about the surrounding marketing... which is to say a little bit, and enough to keep a close eye on it all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Ridiculous. An official company should never say something like that.
He's no Goku or Vegeta so they don't have much of a choice. :lol: In DB you're either Goku or Yamcha, there's not much in-between.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! manga is being released by Viz!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:33 pm

They didn't have to put the punching bag line in their, meme line itself doesn't have a negative connotation on it's own.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Yeah, even I don't like the "Yamcha is useless" meme, but this isn't enough to get me angered or disappointed.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:42 pm

It's all about the memes these days. There are people that want TFS to be considered official and want Funimation to reference them and etc. Memes sell, no one cares about anything else, sadly.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Makes sense given the nature of the manga, just a little annoyed with the punching bag line.
    It's good to see Viz translating other DB product, with this news I'm seeing a positive future for these types of stories.
    Mostly active on discord.

DragonBallFoodie
    Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm

They didn't need to mention the punching bag line. :(
    "Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
    A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Doctor.
    Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Well... they're not wrong.

Logania
    Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:09 pm

You guys are getting too offended by this. Everyone treats him like dirt, even the cast. He's been a punching bag since his first appearance.
    "I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cure Dragon 255
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:17 pm

I was just kidding.
    Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
    90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kid Buu
    I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Logania wrote: Everyone treats him like dirt, even the cast.
    None of the cast did that in the original 42 volumes.
    Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

One_Instance
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:03 pm

Honestly, as much as I hate the meme (and as much as it should've died years ago) I'm not too upset with this tweet. It probably did go too far and it did make me roll my eyes, but in my opinion, I don't think it'll get worse that having Yamcha do the pose he did when he died during Super's baseball episode. Seeing unfunny posts about it on social media is one thing, but seeing it in official content rubs me the wrong way.

On another note, I'm really excited that this is happening! I didn't think Viz would do anything aside from the main Dragon Ball story.

Logania
    Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Kid Buu wrote: None of the cast did that in the original 42 volumes.
    Then Super happens, and is the butt money who never gets included in anything.
    "I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Olympian
    Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
    Logania wrote: Everyone treats him like dirt, even the cast.
    None of the cast did that in the original 42 volumes.
    I will debate that even in a fandom sense he was never particularly labelled/written a punching bag until the meme started to get big. Lousier luck in the choice of opponents? Sure, but that was the general rule to everyone not named Goku. Anyone who claims he was a punching bag in the Manga from the start on any particular level compared with the rest of the cast, either was never too fond of him to begin with (valid) or is simply doing damage control on the current reality of the past decade. "Goku and Friends" was the last time Yamcha was characterized anything close to Toryama fashion*. It`s early bizarre watching the franchise (since ROF/Super began pretty much) starting to actually bank on the meme as if they suddently found out that dot.com is a thing.

Maybe in another ten years from now they will awknowledge that Vegeta crying is an actual thing too. I can see it now "something something Vegeta - watch the struggle of everyone`s favorite crying Saiyan"!

* The Manga in question being an expection, tho. It pretty much attacks the issue of his bad luck, not lack of potential or skill.
    Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Kid Buu
    I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Logania wrote:
    Kid Buu wrote: None of the cast did that in the original 42 volumes.
    Then Super happens, and is the butt money who never gets included in anything.
    Okay that I can agree with (and I'm personally not a fan big fan of that direction).
    Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Logania
    Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Kid Buu wrote: Okay that I can agree with (and I'm personally not a fan big fan of that direction).
    I'm not either, as I do like Yamcha. Just weird how everyone is so shocked and outraged when it's been happening since RoF lol