In you opinion how strong is Arale canonically?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Puaru
Banned

In you opinion how strong is Arale canonically?

Post by Puaru » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 pm

I realize perfectly well that this question depends heavily on ones beliefs regarding the canonicity of the BDS episode in which she appears.

But even if one believe the episode to be totally 100% non-canonical, we still know that Arale herself is unqestionably canon within the DB universe, and that we've never actually gotten a good indication of her strenght within confirmed canon material.

Unless of course one is actually willing to count Dr Slump as a whole as canon, which of course practically nobody does, but which I would be willing to bet that Toriyama himself did back in the day when he decided to have Arale and the gang appear in his BD manga (I mean why wouldn't he, DB itself was still largely a gag manga at the time).

Anyway, regardless of what material you base your ideas on, the simple question I want to ask you is this: within the DB canon how powerful is Arale?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: In you opinion how strong is Arale canonically?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:50 pm

She's at least somewhere on par with some of stronger characters in DBS if we go by her best Dr. Slump feats. An example being Champa(in the manga) fragmenting a planet with a kick which is something that Arale can also do, perhaps a bit easier than Champa though as his feat involved fighting intensely with Beerus while Arale did so with a light chop.
Arale's brief encounter with Beerus isn't anything too good to gauge her strength by as all he did was knock her head off which is pretty easy to do as its a common thing in Dr. Slump, whether Beerus' Hakai energy would have destroyed her or not isn't entirely clear.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 pm

Her power is immeasurable and limitless. You really can't compare her with others.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Above Vegeta and below Zeno.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Puaru wrote:within the DB canon how powerful is Arale?
I would say she was stronger than Goku in both her appearances (back when he was a kid and after they defeated Zamas).

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:23 am

Yes. She's like a comedic character so her feats are invalid.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:34 am

My theory is that her power multiplies depending on her opponent's capacity for "butt-monkeying". Remember that scene in The Simpsons where Krusty hires Sideshow Bob? "A pie gag's only funny when the sap's got dignity!"

We saw this in the Dr Slump/DBS crossover. She kicked the crap out of Vegeta because he was acting serious and wearing a suit. That makes it funnier. She was more evenly matched with Goku because he was being Goku.

If we extrapolate this, a fight between her and the Ginyu Force would be a more even fight than with any of the stronger "serious" characters like Vegeta or Freeza. And on that note, if she were to fight the Pride Troopers, she would be evenly-matched with all of them except for Jiren, who would get utterly bodied.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 am

flashback0180 wrote:Yes. She's like a comedic character so her feats are invalid.
But the thing is, she does exist in canon. She did save Goku from General Blue, that much is indesputable. So the trick to try to consider which or how much of her comedic feats that "counts". She certainly headbutted Blue into the sky at a time when he was able to overpower the likes of Goku.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:10 pm

Kataphrut wrote:My theory is that her power multiplies depending on her opponent's capacity for "butt-monkeying". Remember that scene in The Simpsons where Krusty hires Sideshow Bob? "A pie gag's only funny when the sap's got dignity!"

We saw this in the Dr Slump/DBS crossover. She kicked the crap out of Vegeta because he was acting serious and wearing a suit. That makes it funnier. She was more evenly matched with Goku because he was being Goku.

If we extrapolate this, a fight between her and the Ginyu Force would be a more even fight than with any of the stronger "serious" characters like Vegeta or Freeza. And on that note, if she were to fight the Pride Troopers, she would be evenly-matched with all of them except for Jiren, who would get utterly bodied.
That doesn't explain why she was in trouble against Beerus though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Going solely by her appearance early on in the Dragon Ball manga, in which she defeated Blue with a single strike, I'd say she was somewhere in the neighborhood of 200. However, I'm more inclined to believe that her battle power would be listed as X or as ? or something of that nature, with her power being "gag manga", if that makes sense. I think the Dragon Ball Super episode portrayed it well; she's as strong as the joke requires her to be, and I believe that's how it works in-universe as well.

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about her power level?
Vegeta: IT'S...is this a poop symbol?! Whatever. Destroy her, Nappa!

Arale then headbutts Nappa so hard he flies off the planet, breaks through the panel on the page, and, when he regains consciousness, he's in an all-new chapter of Tomato - Girl Detective. That's what I believe the nature of Arale's "strength" is.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Another question: if Arale is really strong even by BDS standards, what canonical reason could there be for her not being chosen to participate in the ToP? It's a question that's not even supposed to be asked, I know, but if we do ask it.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Puaru wrote:Another question: if Arale is really strong even by BDS standards, what canonical reason could there be for her not being chosen to participate in the ToP? It's a question that's not even supposed to be asked, I know, but if we do ask it.
Its because that despite her strength, Arale isn't capable of grasping the tournament's serious purpose or its rules as well as maintaining focus enough to be of any help in the case that something distracts her. Arale would view it too much as a big game of fun instead of the end-of-everything-battle that it's supposed to be.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:My theory is that her power multiplies depending on her opponent's capacity for "butt-monkeying". Remember that scene in The Simpsons where Krusty hires Sideshow Bob? "A pie gag's only funny when the sap's got dignity!"

That doesn't explain why she was in trouble against Beerus though.
Because Beerus can destroy anything. He overrides the rules.

When that episode aired I remember people were taking it as definitive proof that Beerus could take the likes of Superman or Saitama.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Arale's gag-force strength is whatever's required for her feats to be funny.

Which, as it works out, ends up meaning "effectively limitless."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:41 pm

As strong as she needs to be for the joke to be funny. Trying to apply Dragon Ball's already questionable power level logic to these kinds of things is how we get people doing mental gymnastics in 30-minute Youtube videos to figure out how this works.
There's no point in analyzing the strength of gag characters because their "power" can increase or decrease depending on the situation with no explanation. How did Mr. Satan slam right into a mountain at supersonic speeds and not get absolutely smushed? How could Freeza be unable to explode a single Japanese policeman with a single laser blast? It doesn't matter, so just laugh and don't think too hard about it.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Android 16 strong
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 am

I'd say... just about strong enough to get instantly Hakai'ed into nothingness by Beerus if he felt like it. :lol:

Aside from that one fact, exactly how strong she is seems to fluctuate wildly from one appearance to the next just for the sake of whatever the joke with her is at that moment. There's no way that Arale in the Dragonball/Dr. Slump crossover episodes was intended to be the same strength as she seemed to be in Super's crossover episode. If I remember right there was even an interview around 23rd Budokai time where Toriyama was asked about how strong Arale is compared to the older Goku who appeared then, and the response was along the lines of "hmm, I think she's probably still stronger than Goku now" -- the way it was worded didn't make it sound like the difference was astronomically huge.

I guess if her appearance is a jokey scene she's however strong the author wants her to be (as long as that's weaker than Beerus), but if the time ever came when she was involved in a serious scene, she'd only be "probably still stronger than 23rd Budokai Goku." I figure Kid Buu destroying the planet, Freeza destroying the planet in Resurrection F, Zamasu wiping out all of Earth's survivors, and similar "everyone dies" situations are the only serious moments Arale will ever be even indirectly involved in... and of course they won't actually show her on screen for those.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:48 am

I had the impression that Arale and the Dr. Slump universe are not actually the same as Dragonball's Earth, but they cross over sometimes. So Penguin Village and such was present when General Blue went there, but when Buu or Freeza destroyed the Earth it wasn't. It sort of occasionally shifts into the same dimension, if that makes any sense.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 am

Arale was holding her own in DB movie 3 and while I recognize that isn't entirely canon, it was still pretty funny to see her help Goku take down Tao Pai Pai. Sorry I couldn't find it in English or Japanese, but this is what I'm talking about- http://youtu.be/pHtor6xKhW8 :)

That makes her decently strong. Maybe as strong as Videl actually, is kind of how I imagine her.

Edit: oh the question was canonically and I'm tired lol
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun May 06, 2018 2:32 pm

Arale is as strong as she is in Dr. Slump. She is able to crack the earth in half. Pretty strong.