"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:51 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Black and Zamasu sounded so much alike in many scenes that it was hard to say who was speaking. Sean did a good job match Zamasu’s voice, but you also hear a little of Goku in there too.
Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
I know what I heard, thank you.

I know what you mean Hero, I thought the same thing at some point in the episode. As if He was trying to mimic James's voice. I didn't mind it too much though tbh. I liked Zamasu's emotion in the scene leading to Blacks kamehameha. I thought it was done well.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:55 am

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.
They've done it the night before after midnight before
It hasn't turned midnight yet.
Mooreish wrote:I think that guy you keep wanting to have a role in super is going to be voicing jiren. You know, the original hit voice actor.
Who are you talking to?
Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for god's sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
You are WAY overreacting here. Super's dub is the same level of quality as Kai's, as I've continually pointed out. Everyone who thinks every slightly-changed line is an abomination unto the world needs to chill the fuck out & look at their priorities here. 99% of the dialogue is spot-on to the Japanese (And even when it's the other 1%, it still fits the scene & characters, or is entirely harmless). This is NOT going to turn into another Z-type dub where they cherry-pick only a few moments to translate entirely properly. This is in-line with Kai, &, frankly, every other modern dub the company has produced. You can not like any of the changed lines, but anyone overreacting THIS MUCH to any of the minor line changes needs to actually look at the big picture here.
There are two reasons I'm "overreacting". First, it's a key line during a key moment. If I'm cringing during such a pivotal moment like that, the dub has failed at its job. Second, this kinda shit is happening over and over. It's nothing major like the Z dub, but's it's still a bunch of small lines here and there, and that adds up after a while. It's not a terrible dub, it's just annoying, and far too self aware. It's not Z dub quality, but its certainly closer to that than the Kai dub was.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:57 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for gods sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
I can see why people interpret it that way, but I really don't think that was supposed to be a 4th-wall-break. He's referring to being called the "opening act". If that really was a meta joke, I'd feel the same way you do.
To me, it's a bad line regardless. It's just made worse if it was indeed 4th wall breaking. I still find it pretty cringy even on it's own.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 am

The way Zamasu laughs after Goku and Trunks were hit by the Rosé Kamehameha... it was awkward to say the least. I kind of liked it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:14 am

They kept the deep sounding KMH from the Japanese version. Sounded awkward when Nozawa did it, while a little less awkward here still was hoping they wouldn't do that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:43 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
I know what you mean Hero, I thought the same thing at some point in the episode. As if He was trying to mimic James's voice. I didn't mind it too much though tbh. I liked Zamasu's emotion in the scene leading to Blacks kamehameha. I thought it was done well.
I mean, that's what Sean said he's going for with Black's voice, to imitate Marsters' take on Zamasu, which makes sense to do, but I don't think he mimicked his voice tone. In fact, the 2 were still completely distinct from one another.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FWLOJxSK8.
They just talk the same.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 pm

They need to stop dubbing the openings & endings. They sound horrible.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:They need to stop dubbing the openings & endings. They sound horrible.
Um, the opening is an Engrish version that the original singer recorded. Trust me, if it were an actual FUNi version of it, it would be better. They're just using it. Blame the singer.
The endings don't matter if they're dubbed or not, but I don't think they shouldn't do it if they want to.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Wow. Feeling so much better about Rosé now. Schemmel great this week! :thumbup:

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Wait, did the narrator in the opening recap refer to Zamasu as the '10th Universe's Kai'?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Episode was fine as a whole. However, I didn't like Black's "Kaw me haw me hoaw".

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
You probably think you do, but I heard something else entirely from what you suggested.
Scigs you really gotta chill. I agree that people are over blowing the dubs problems but Christ man. This is the same thing with the TFS Kai thing. Anyone who disagreed you basically snapped at.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Marsters is doing a fantastic job, so well that Sean seems to emulate him a bit too much. He needs to stick to what he already has for Black.
Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for gods sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
PFHAHAHAHAHAHA No.

To say it's anywhere near as bad as anything in the original Z dub is just plain hilarious, if anything the sub line is retardedly cringey.

"CRUMBLE INTO DUST", sorry but when ripping on opponents Vegeta generally doesn't resort to heightened language. The dub line makes wayyy more sense to come after the line before it. "You're the opening act", if anything the sub not giving Vegeta a response to that was cringey. I don't understand how anyone can defend the sub line vs the dub line unless you're just defending it because it's the sub.

I'm glad funi is doing changes to super's lines, because the sub takes itself wayy to seriously considering A. the circumstances B. How bad the writing is. It's ironic how now I trust Funi to write a better script and story than Toei animation, who pretty much just does stuff for the sake of selling toys at this point and become an utter joke.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Firebolt wrote:Is it just me or is Schemmel's Goku voice in Super a lot more strained and raspy compared to his performance in Kai?

Also Goku sounded a lot like Rosé Black when he said "You got sloppy!" Really hope it's just a mistake and they fix it later on.
I've been saying that about Sean Schemmel since his Battle Of Gods movie performence.

He's been going for a higher pitched Goku for a few years now and it doesn't sound natural at all. Strained voice that doesn't allow him to emote well. He's denied a few times that he's trying to be more like Nozawa, but it does seem like he's attempting to emulate her take on Goku.

People say the original Z FUNI voice acting was terrible, and it was, but Schemmel's current take on Goku is simply bad.

He needs to tone it down so he can speak more naturally.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:38 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Marsters is doing a fantastic job, so well that Sean seems to emulate him a bit too much. He needs to stick to what he already has for Black.
PFHAHAHAHAHAHA No.

To say it's anywhere near as bad as anything in the original Z dub is just plain hilarious, if anything the sub line is retardedly cringey.

"CRUMBLE INTO DUST", sorry but when ripping on opponents Vegeta generally doesn't resort to heightened language. The dub line makes wayyy more sense to come after the line before it. "You're the opening act", if anything the sub not giving Vegeta a response to that was cringey. I don't understand how anyone can defend the sub line vs the dub line unless you're just defending it because it's the sub.

I'm glad funi is doing changes to super's lines, because the sub takes itself wayy to seriously considering A. the circumstances B. How bad the writing is. It's ironic how now I trust Funi to write a better script and story than Toei animation, who pretty much just does stuff for the sake of selling toys at this point and become an utter joke.
Where did I say it was as bad as the original Z dub?

Second, I don't care how "bad" you think the script is. A dub that changes the script heavily is a bad dub in my book. There are VERY few exceptions where line changes should be made, those being awkwardly phrased sentences, jokes that don't make sense in English, cultural references that wouldn't make any sense, etc. Other than that, stick to the source material. I don't want them regressing and using their "artistic license" to alter the dialogue to their liking. That's not your job. Know your place as a dub. You are there to translate the story, not alter it.

I also don't even understand how you can say the sub "takes itself too seriously". I think it's the EXACT opposite. The show could use a little bit of grounded seriousness to create some tension and emotion for once. It's far TOO laid back in my opinion.

And lastly, I guess it comes down to taste, but I find "I'm the star of this damn show" 1000% more cringy than "Crumble into dust".
AloversGaming wrote:
Firebolt wrote:Is it just me or is Schemmel's Goku voice in Super a lot more strained and raspy compared to his performance in Kai?

Also Goku sounded a lot like Rosé Black when he said "You got sloppy!" Really hope it's just a mistake and they fix it later on.

People say the original Z FUNI voice acting was terrible, and it was, but Schemmel's current take on Goku is simply bad.
Alright, let's calm down there. You might prefer his earlier performance, but his current performance is by no means "bad". In a world where there is truly terrible voice acting out there, let's not throw that around to a perfectly fine performance at worst.
Last edited by Artorias on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:40 pm

Firebolt wrote: People say the original Z FUNI voice acting was terrible, and it was, but Schemmel's current take on Goku is simply bad.
You say bad, he says "artistic license".
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:46 pm

I think I'm the only one left that still isn't too fond of English Zamasu. I feel the same with way about him as I do about Rose Goku Black: every other line sounds pretty awkward and forced. They switch back and forth, and its just hard to get a grasp on either one of them. They will alternate between pretty damn great to "wtf was that delivery" in a span of seconds.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 pm

DHM211 wrote:Episode was fine as a whole. However, I didn't like Black's "Kaw me haw me hoaw".
Yeah, that was weird. Not sure what they were thinking there. He's done a good job sounding refined without descending into the Xenoverse2/Fighter Z "pip pip cheerio" we were afraid of. But that just sounded off.

Been a while since I watched this episode subbed, did Nozawa change Black's Kamehamehas in any significant way. I seem to remember her register was deeper, but that's about it.

Everyone else is sounding good though. Marsters and Clinkenbeard especially are giving some top-tier performances.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Artorias wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Marsters is doing a fantastic job, so well that Sean seems to emulate him a bit too much. He needs to stick to what he already has for Black.
PFHAHAHAHAHAHA No.

Where did I say it was as bad as the original Z dub?

Second, I don't care how "bad" you think the script is. A dub that changes the script heavily is a bad dub in my book. There are VERY few exceptions where line changes should be made, those being awkwardly phrased sentences, jokes that don't make sense in English, cultural references that wouldn't make any sense, etc. Other than that, stick to the source material. I don't want them regressing and using their "artistic license" to alter the dialogue to their liking. That's not your job. Know your place as a dub. You are there to translate the story, not alter it.

I also don't even understand how you can say the sub "takes itself too seriously". I think it's the EXACT opposite. The show could use a little bit of grounded seriousness to create some tension and emotion for once. It's far TOO laid back in my opinion.

And lastly, I guess it comes down to taste, but I find "I'm the star of this damn show" 1000% more cringy than "Crumble into dust".
"stick to the source material" even when the source material is crap. I can understand it for Z since the source material was great, not so much in super. You're exaggerating big time, you still didn't address how "crumble into dust" does not follow the line before, yet "I'm the star of the damn show" actually does. Is that because Funimation actually knows how to write now and Toei has gone to the kiddy pool?

Not only that but you failed to address how "crumble into dust" is totally out of character for Vegeta.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 pm

How in the world is "I'm the star of this damn show" altering the story in any way?? I understand that the line is kind of out of place and sounds way too TFS ish, but its not a big deal either.

Another thing is that the best thing FUNI can do is make some changes here and there, because the original japanese dialogue is soooo bad!!!