Would it be a better idea to replace Nozawa before she passes away?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Would it be a better idea to replace Nozawa before she passes away?

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Do you think it would lessen the blow of having a new actor for Goku if Nozawa retired after the new movie and allowed her understudy whoever that may be take over for her, rather than have a sudden replacement should she pass away during the production of a future series. Discuss
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Would it be a better idea to replace Nozawa before she passes away?

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:31 pm

To me I'd end the series the day Nozawa passes away.... Unless they can find a replacement that is really, really close to what she is doing, I mean that she could fool someone who doesn't know better.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

It would be unnecessary since she is still active. Actors rarely retire

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm

It would be easier to digest another actor slowly while she's alive for me, but since Nozawa loves voicing Goku and the others so much she probably wouldn't want to stop unless she needs to.

I think using the replacement in video games would be a good way to see how he/she does as it wouldn't effect the anime/movie material while also giving them experience with DB content.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:20 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:To me I'd end the series the day Nozawa passes away.... Unless they can find a replacement that is really, really close to what she is doing.
DB is too big to end on someone's death, even if it's Toriyama, unless it's a temporary ending. In terms of her replacement, I think they already have one.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:42 pm

What makes it complicated is that not only does she voice Goku, but the rest of the male family, Bardock, Black, and Tullece. Makes me wonder... would they recast one actor to do all the voices, or start fresh with new interpretations and cast them all individually? Whatever happens it will be very strange.

I guess with Tullece and Bardock, they probably could just use archival audio for them until the end of time. It’s not like they’re really saying anything new.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 pm

As it was mentioned before... it'd be easier to digest if she was replaced while she was still alive but a part of me also thinks that Goku would be gone the moment she is so,,, :shock:
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:11 pm

My thought is, as long as she's able and willing to do it without it being adverse to her health, she ought to be able to do it. That said, she will undoubtedly be replaced at some point. I understand the sentiments of the fans who think the shows should be cancelled upon her inability to voice the character anymore, but unfortunately, I think those fans underestimate how determined Toei execs are to keep making money off of a property that has, historically, been a big money-maker for them. We have to keep in mind, that while the Dragon Ball shows (and mangas) may be the main product over here in North America and Europe, in Japan, DVDs and Blu-Rays of the show are viewed morel like glorified collector's items, because the main product is not considered the show, but the merchandise.

All that to say, Dragon Ball won't end with Nozawa's death, it'll end when it no longer makes money.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Definitely! If Masako perished midway of a series it would then make for an awkward transition with a different VA so it's better that they just replace her while she's still alive so everything stays consistent with the cast from start to end.

I love Masako's Gokû and no one will ever replace the original Son Gokû but the time for a substitute is coming.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 am

What's with all the "We need a replacement for Nozawa" threads all of a sudden? Is she seriously ill and I missed it?

She'll keep on doing the role as long as she wants. I don't see anyone at Toei kicking her off the show as long as she feels she can do it.

And before someone spouts out "Dude, she's 81," yeah, no shit. So what? I mean, anything could happen to anyone at any time, as we've already seen in the past few months. Nozawa's been at this for a while now; she and Toei know what they're doing.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:19 am

Sounds like an awful idea. Imagine how Nozawa would feel if they were to pull something like that? No way it would happen unless she wanted out.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 am

No Nozawa means no more Dragon Ball. They'll just give Goku the Chef from South Park treatment.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:No Nozawa means no more Dragon Ball. They'll just give Goku the Chef from South Park treatment.
Dragon Ball is too hot of a franchise for TOEI just to archive it. The replacement will happen even though that probably will be really frustrating I just can't imagine anyone filling her shoes but it will happen. :cry:

Masako has a beautiful smile, voice, face and she's just so energetic. Just listening to her voice or seeing her smiling makes me smile, too.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Kodoshin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kodoshin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 pm

She has obviously, at this point, earned the right to call her own shot. It's definitely going to happen someday. Gonna be hard to deal with when it does :(

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:44 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:No Nozawa means no more Dragon Ball. They'll just give Goku the Chef from South Park treatment.
And lose all the cash?? Yeah, I don't think so
Get Fucked, C_unt

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:03 am

I don't think so. It's Toriyama's franchise, not Nozawa's. So it's up to him, whether he wants to continue the franchise or not.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:43 am

Let Nozawa keep playing Goku until she feels she needs to step down from the role. And then you can focus on finding a new seiyuu for Goku.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:08 am

I think it would be ideal if they had an understudy ready to replace Nozawa when she does tragically pass away.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Firebolt wrote:I think it would be ideal if they had an understudy ready to replace Nozawa when she does tragically pass away.
I think that they already have a understudy ready to go in case it happens. Which doesn't want or wish to happen. But, they probably have a plan in place in case they need it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Banana » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 pm

I agree that it's best to let her voice the role for as long as she feels able... I mean she's legendary after all and the more we have of her as Goku-tachi the better. She could even live to be a hundred, and we don't know. I mean that would be a miracle for the dbz community but stranger things can happen. I know they had to replace Bulma and I can hardly tell a difference. The thing I worry about though is that Nozawa's voice is just so unique. Time will tell, there's no use talking about something so sad and depressing. What happens happens.
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.