"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Son Gara » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:56 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 weeks later and people still hung up on that line? Aye aye aye.
Some things never change. Remember when the dub use to make Vegeta and other characters say stuff like "Mondo Cool"? Doesn't sound like they've progressed that much in regards to unnecessary script changes.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:17 am

Artorias wrote:I think I'm the only one left that still isn't too fond of English Zamasu. I feel the same with way about him as I do about Rose Goku Black: every other line sounds pretty awkward and forced. They switch back and forth, and its just hard to get a grasp on either one of them. They will alternate between pretty damn great to "wtf was that delivery" in a span of seconds.
I don't think English Zamasu is bad, he just feels lacking compared to the Japanese dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:28 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:Yugioh: In the Duelist Kingdom arc, they adapted Pegasus' plot from the manga, where he takes over Kaiba's company to use his tech to create a hologram, or maybe it was a robot, duplicate of his late wife. This doesn't make any sense in the anime because he looks like he has similar tech already to what Kaiba Corp has. In the dub, in addition to changing his name to the more American Maximillion Pegasus rather than Pegasus J. Crawford, since the character is an American, they changed the plot to one where he's gathering all of the Millenium Items to bring his wife back from the dead, something that makes MUCH more sense in the anime.
Are you suggesting that 4kids did something good?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 am

uncutpokemon wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Yugioh: In the Duelist Kingdom arc, they adapted Pegasus' plot from the manga, where he takes over Kaiba's company to use his tech to create a hologram, or maybe it was a robot, duplicate of his late wife. This doesn't make any sense in the anime because he looks like he has similar tech already to what Kaiba Corp has. In the dub, in addition to changing his name to the more American Maximillion Pegasus rather than Pegasus J. Crawford, since the character is an American, they changed the plot to one where he's gathering all of the Millenium Items to bring his wife back from the dead, something that makes MUCH more sense in the anime.
Are you suggesting that 4kids did something good?
For Yugioh, yeah. Don't get me wrong, what they did wrong far outweighed the good, but there were some minor good things they did.

By the way, check who you quote because you left in the wrong name.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:I'd be wanting a more faithful dub too if the original script was actually good, but it's not, particularly in the ToP.

If super actually had decent writing then sure I'd be a bit miffed about the changes, but here I don't really care.

You keep saying methaphors when really it's called comebacks, Yes Vegeta generally does respond in kind to those who taunt it. Go watch Z again because I think you're misunderstanding his character.
There may be some writing flaws in Super, I still like a more accurate dubbing of a series. I don't like when fans say that it's better due to bad writing. The dub isn't suppose to fix writing but accurately translate one language to another for the market its being produced for.
A few examples of actually decent Woolseyisms that made for a more understandable story in an anime series than there was previously.
Yugioh: In the Duelist Kingdom arc, they adapted Pegasus' plot from the manga, where he takes over Kaiba's company to use his tech to create a hologram, or maybe it was a robot, duplicate of his late wife. This doesn't make any sense in the anime because he looks like he has similar tech already to what Kaiba Corp has. In the dub, in addition to changing his name to the more American Maximillion Pegasus rather than Pegasus J. Crawford, since the character is an American, they changed the plot to one where he's gathering all of the Millenium Items to bring his wife back from the dead, something that makes MUCH more sense in the anime.

DBZ: Though the dub was generally bad with changing plot points for no reason, Cell saying he can regenerate from a single cell of his being makes MUCH more sense than his head's core when that got blown up by Goku's Kamehameha. Evven Team Four Star made fun of that plot hole. I even noticed this plot hole as a kid when I played Budokai 1, since its dub was more close to the Japanese than the show's dub was. I knew of that scene in Z where Goku blows up Cell's top half with his Kamehameha wave & was confused when Budokai's dub said Cell regenerated from the core in his head, when it was blown off earlier. Plot hole.

Bleach: The advent of calling the Shinigami Soul Reapers rather than Death Gods. It was so ingenious that even Kubo commented that it was closer to what he meant for them to be described as than the actual translation of Shinigami. Considering they're more like the Grim Reaper, you can see why he said that.

These didn't change the story too much, though you can argue Yugioh's is much more altering the story, but to the same end as the Japanese. Now, should they have done these things? Maybe not. Are the shows any worse off for having them in their dubs? I don't think so.
I'm just a believer in being true to the source material. I understand there will changes but it doesn't mean that I have to like them.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
"stick to the source material" even when the source material is crap. I can understand it for Z since the source material was great, not so much in super. You're exaggerating big time, you still didn't address how "crumble into dust" does not follow the line before, yet "I'm the star of the damn show" actually does. Is that because Funimation actually knows how to write now and Toei has gone to the kiddy pool?

Not only that but you failed to address how "crumble into dust" is totally out of character for Vegeta.
First, I don't see why the line has to "fit". Not everything needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor in that scene. Are the characters just supposed to keep going back and forth with their lines pretending that they're in a play? Second, I don't even get what you mean when you say that's out of character for Vegeta. That seems like the exact kind of thing that Vegeta would say.
It's called context, I know hard to understand since you seem to worship the original super script so much which is utter shite, but context of lines makes them better and the context of Vegeta's line fits the scenario better than the generic "crumble into dust", which is something I'd expect from OG dub funi which kept giving vegeta Shakespearean speeches. Vegeta may elevate his speech occasionally but most of the time he keeps his insults low. It's funny how funi now has a better understanding for vegeta's character than Toei does/
You don't need to talk down to me like I don't understand basic ideas. There's no need to be disrespectful like that. This really is pedantic at this point, but like I said, not every line needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor role playing thing in that scene.

And again, I have NO CLUE what you're talking about regarding that line not being Vegeta-esque. Vegeta says stuff like that ALL THE TIME in the sub and dub throughout Z and Super.
OLKv3 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Artorias wrote:I think I'm the only one left that still isn't too fond of English Zamasu.
I am not too fond of it either, in fact I am not fond of it at all.
The bored yet egotistical voice fits him imo. He handled his rage quite well too when he quietly called Goku a sinner
He's definitely at his best during the rage out moments. I just don't really find his lazy pompous voice very natural sounding. Every other line sounds really forced to me. Over-acting you could call it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Sean's Goku is still sounding terrible. What happened? He was fine in Kai.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Sean's Goku is still sounding terrible. What happened? He was fine in Kai.
Age catches everyone, man.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Sean's Goku is still sounding terrible. What happened? He was fine in Kai.
I blame the voice direction
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
True, voice direction is everything. Just listen to the difference in Sabat's Vegeta between Kai 1.0 and Super. TFC was kind of an in-between of those. I can only imagine they're going for a more OG Z dub nostalgia approach? I dunno.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Forte224 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
True, voice direction is everything. Just listen to the difference in Sabat's Vegeta between Kai 1.0 and Super. TFC was kind of an in-between of those. I can only imagine they're going for a more OG Z dub nostalgia approach? I dunno.
That could be the case. I mean, Hell, look at what happened with Copy Vegeta.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Forte224 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
This is something I've taken issue with, I dunno if Sabat started smoking again or what but his voice is really scratchy and makes him sound unnecessarily aggressive

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
This is something I've taken issue with, I dunno if Sabat started smoking again or what but his voice is really scratchy and makes him sound unnecessarily aggressive
He sounds similar to the redub Funi did of the Saiyan-Freeza arcs. Vegeta sounded very gruff and scratchy there, and he sounds very similar now in Super. There's still a twinge of his Kai interpretation left though. I can only imagine it's for OG Z Funi dub nostalgia? Even in Battle of Gods Chris said he directed people more like he did back in Z, maybe he's stuck with that mentality. A lot of people hate the Kai dub voices after all.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 am

Forte224 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
Forte224 wrote: True, voice direction is everything. Just listen to the difference in Sabat's Vegeta between Kai 1.0 and Super. TFC was kind of an in-between of those. I can only imagine they're going for a more OG Z dub nostalgia approach? I dunno.
He sounds similar to the redub Funi did of the Saiyan-Freeza arcs. Vegeta sounded very gruff and scratchy there, and he sounds very similar now in Super. There's still a twinge of his Kai interpretation left though. I can only imagine it's for OG Z Funi dub nostalgia? Even in Battle of Gods Chris said he directed people more like he did back in Z, maybe he's stuck with that mentality. A lot of people hate the Kai dub voices after all.
I'd say it's a vocal minority, Vegeta's voice in kai was perfect. While Colleen wasn't always top notch I think she did a better job than Nadolny, besides it was weird hearing kid goku's VA as Gohan ( I watched OG Dragonball before watching Z )

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:35 am

I'm not seeing what's wrong with Schemmel's Goku. From the clips I've seen of the dub, he's fine to me.

I will agree that Sabat sounds more gruff than smooth though.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
I'd say it's a vocal minority, Vegeta's voice in kai was perfect. While Colleen wasn't always top notch I think she did a better job than Nadolny, besides it was weird hearing kid goku's VA as Gohan ( I watched OG Dragonball before watching Z )
Well don't forget that there's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge fanbase that has a lot of nostalgia for the old dub. At least here in North America for sure. It's still really big.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not seeing what's wrong with Schemmel's Goku. From the clips I've seen of the dub, he's fine to me.

Yeah he's been fine mostly good infact, few episodes ago when they visited Gowasu Sean's Goku was at it's peak.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'm not seeing what's wrong with Schemmel's Goku. From the clips I've seen of the dub, he's fine to me.

Yeah he's been fine mostly good infact, few episodes ago when they visited Gowasu Sean's Goku was at it's peak.
I do have a problem with his Rose form voice. It doesn't have the noticeable British accent but its still there.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 pm

So is Invincible now the dubs term for Immortal? If so why? Is this because of lip flaps?
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:47 pm

The Patrolman wrote:So is Invincible now the dubs term for Immortal? If so why? Is this because of lip flaps?
I think it's because he didn't tell them flatout that he was immortal, but they figured it out from him not sustaining damage. Like, he's invincible, so he must be immortal. I don't know if that's how it was in Japanese, but it makes sense within the DUB'S context at the very least.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs