Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:52 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
JohnnyBoy_Z wrote:I would've liked to have seen Zhang Ziyi play the part of Chi Chi. She's gorgeous and a very good actress.
Agreed. However, a quick YouTube search reveals that she doesn't speak English very well.
She spoke english very well in TMNT, and that's fairly recent.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:53 pm

Excuse me, did you say 'beyond something like DBZ'? I love Heroes, but if I had to choose between the two, it's DBZ. Anyone should be honored to even be considered for this film - especially the people they are actually casting, seeing as how they're mainly nobodies. o.O

No, for Vegeta I'm still vouching for Hugh Jackman, but it doesn't matter at this point as they are killing us with this film. T_T
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:15 am

I've never seen Heroes, but I'm glad Vegeta isn't in this movie.

It'd take one superior acting job to pull him off. XD
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:28 am

Yeah, I really don't think anyone can beat Ryo Horikawa or at least have the same vocal performance as his.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:53 am

Hmm, his Heroes character Peter is prone to dumb decisions just like Vegeta. I'd say it's a perfect match :lol:

I don't know if I'd say he'd be beyond something like the Dragonball movie, though. James Kyson Lee is on the same show, and he reportedly auditioned for Yamcha. But I'm not sure if they'd want someone so man-pretty to play Vegeta (not that I would be against that, mind you, I just think they'd want someone who looks more tough....if we want to stick with the Heroes actors, how about Sylar? But I can't really imagine him as Vegeta, though).

You know, I'm kind of hoping this movie is a success so they'll make a sequel set in DBZ so we CAN start making wild speculation about who might play Vegeta and have it actually mean something :wink:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Not directly related to the DBZ movie, but I came across the trailer for the new "Speed Racer" movie:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 42286.html

THIS is how you make a live action anime movie! The Wachowski brothers are the perfect selection of directors for such a film. Being actual anime fans themselves, they've helped keep the look and feel of the show alive. And with their filmography, you know it's not going to be something run-of-the-mill.

Now that we have more details (albeit early ones) on "Dragonball," I'm not sure I'm as confident in it as I used to be. I mean, we're talking about the guy behind "Final Destination" here. The characters seem to have unnecessary changes made to them. There's no need for Goku to be in high school; nor to make Piccolo a hibernating ninja; nor to make Yamcha a lady's man. While these are minor changes in the scheme of things, I think it just shows that the story is going to be generalized for an average American audience, and that the "fan service" will simply be seeing the characters up on the big screen.

I will of course reserve any sort of definitive critique for when it actually comes out, but right now it seems likes it's going to be pretty Hollywoodized.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:57 pm

Referring to The Matrix Revolutions' final showdown, the wachowski's have already done something 'DBZ-ish' and succeeded imo :lol:

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Not directly related to the DBZ movie, but I came across the trailer for the new "Speed Racer" movie
I was actually gonna bring this up, but I wasn't sure if it was already brought up before.

I'm not exactly a hardcore Speed Racer fan, but I knew enough to know that that's what the trailer was about right when the trippy opening music started playing at the start of the trailer.

While I'm not exactly sure of how that movie's gonna play out, it definitely looks like they've at least covered all the basics that your passerby fan will pick up from watching the show (or its remake) in the past. I mean, you can really tell that the movie will at least have the heart of what it's adapting.

But with what we've been given of this DB movie so far, I dunno what part of the original it's got :?.

Eh, I'm holding out on the movie going through some major revisions before we see a trailer out.

Also, this may be kinda old, but I vaguely remember someone putting up the poster for the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie a while back. Everyone kept saying that the guys behind the movie unnecessarily giving the chipmunks a complete makeover in terms of their looks (with the trendy hats and the sunglasses and whatnot...). But by the time I saw a trailer for it, it looks like they went back with the chipmunks' signature attire.

If a change like that can be made, then why not with this DB script and their whole high school nonsense?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:31 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:Not directly related to the DBZ movie, but I came across the trailer for the new "Speed Racer" movie
I was actually gonna bring this up, but I wasn't sure if it was already brought up before.

I'm not exactly a hardcore Speed Racer fan, but I knew enough to know that that's what the trailer was about right when the trippy opening music started playing at the start of the trailer.

While I'm not exactly sure of how that movie's gonna play out, it definitely looks like they've at least covered all the basics that your passerby fan will pick up from watching the show (or its remake) in the past. I mean, you can really tell that the movie will at least have the heart of what it's adapting.

But with what we've been given of this DB movie so far, I dunno what part of the original it's got :?.

Eh, I'm holding out on the movie going through some major revisions before we see a trailer out.

Also, this may be kinda old, but I vaguely remember someone putting up the poster for the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie a while back. Everyone kept saying that the guys behind the movie unnecessarily giving the chipmunks a complete makeover in terms of their looks (with the trendy hats and the sunglasses and whatnot...). But by the time I saw a trailer for it, it looks like they went back with the chipmunks' signature attire.

If a change like that can be made, then why not with this DB script and their whole high school nonsense?
I think the sunglasses and hats were just jokes, wasn't the tagline something extremely corny but saying something along the lines of how cool the chipmunks were? I think it was supposed to represent the Chipmunks looking cool and "bad ass" despite their small size. I think it was just an awful joke rather then a new look.

In fact the Dragonball movie looks like an awful joke too...you may be on to something here!
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:36 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
In fact the Dragonball movie looks like an awful joke too...you may be on to something here!
I can see it now! Thousands/Millions of DB Fans sit down at the theatre on Opening night! And when the movie starts, a Rick Asley music video pops onto the screen!

"YOU PUNKS JUST GOT RICK-ROLLED!!!"

Whether that would be better than an actual movie is up to you. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:39 pm

Big Momma wrote:I can see it now! Thousands/Millions of DB Fans sit down at the theatre on Opening night! And when the movie starts, a Rick Asley music video pops onto the screen!

"YOU PUNKS JUST GOT RICK-ROLLED!!!"
I would just run to the nearest living thing and kill it. Worst internet meme ever.
Big Momma wrote:Whether that would be better than an actual movie is up to you. :wink:
It probably would be. :cry:

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:09 am

I liked some parts of that speed racer trailer. But.. the scenes of the actual racing look a little too "cartoony". I think that takes away from it a little.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:49 am

Orochi_Rockman wrote:I liked some parts of that speed racer trailer. But.. the scenes of the actual racing look a little too "cartoony". I think that takes away from it a little.
That's what a lot of other people have been saying, but... It's Speed Racer. The entire movie seems to have that cheesy, bright, old-anime feel to it. Which is a good thing.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:55 am

Exactly, isn't corny the very essence of Speed Racer?

Let us not forget that there's the Gatchaman movie on the way from Imagi, and then a year or so after that the Astro Boy movie. I wonder if there's any videos of those yet?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:10 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Orochi_Rockman wrote:I liked some parts of that speed racer trailer. But.. the scenes of the actual racing look a little too "cartoony". I think that takes away from it a little.
That's what a lot of other people have been saying, but... It's Speed Racer. The entire movie seems to have that cheesy, bright, old-anime feel to it. Which is a good thing.
This I am well aware of and fully appreciate. Everything else about the film looks nice. I'm very glad that they didn't try to modernize it but rather embraced its cheesyness. I'm just saying that those scenes of the race in the desert. That actually needs to be a little bit more believable. I mean it doesn't look real in the least bit.

It seems like they were trying to go for that, and if the rest of the movie was computer animation it would look fine, but when you splice scenes from that race in between scenes of live actors on actual sets....it just doesn't mesh as well as it would if the computer animated backdrop were just a touch more realistic. Not SUPER realistic mind you... just a touch.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:46 pm

I think we're ready to see another Power Rangers movie with the old cast coming back to meet the new cast. As for the Astro Boy movie I just heard about...heeeeeeels yeeeaaaaah baby!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Did you guys already read about who's been cast as ChiChi?

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnoth ... tml#cutid1
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Where was I when someone suggested Milo Ventimiglia as Vegeta?! :mrgreen: I rather see him as Trunks... but that's just me fangirling. :wink:

Does anyone think that there will be a second movie if this thing becomes a hit? Maybe they'll take it into DBZ then... :o

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:38 am

I don't know if you guys really care or not, but I do want to share with you, an actual nightmare I had about this movie. You see, in this nightmare, the movie ended up being as bad as every Dragonball fan was fearing it would be. Goku was a whiney emo kid in High School. Piccolo looked like a human throughout the whole movie. He also fights with a gun. Goku doens't even do kamehameha, ect ect.. just as big as a disaster as you can imagine.

But despite all DB fans hating it.. everyone else loved it. I mean it went big. It became an ultra-blockbuster hit, raking in more money then Titanic and Episode 3 COMBINED. It became so popular, that they easily got the rights to do an original TV series produced in America called "The Real Adventures of Dragonball Z." This series, of course, was starred by the movie versions of the character... emo Goku, "pimp-truck" Yamcha, high school cheerleader Chi Chi.

The only small reference/easter egg they gave fans of the original series. Goku sees someone do a Kamehameha in a video game, and laughs saying it looked very lame and "You'd never catch me doing something goofy like that."

Basically the series spawns so much new fans, an overwhelming tide of fandom, and one thing they all have in common is that they hate what Dragonball used to be. We fans of Akira Toriyama's wonderful story become a very small group of people who are basically flamed and ridiculed at all turns. At the end of my nightmare, AKira Toriyama himself stepped forward; and much to our dismay, stated that he feels the new movie/series is the "true" story of Dragonball, and that his own story is too outdated and should be forgotten.

Sure this will never come to pass, we may even say to ourselves something like that could never happen, and we'd probably be right--but still it is a scary thought. If something even remotly similar to that happens, even if its not on that scale, it still has the potential to "kill" the series.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:53 am

FindKenshi wrote:I don't know if you guys really care or not, but I do want to share with you, an actual nightmare I had about this movie. You see, in this nightmare, the movie ended up being as bad as every Dragonball fan was fearing it would be. Goku was a whiney emo kid in High School. Piccolo looked like a human throughout the whole movie. He also fights with a gun. Goku doens't even do kamehameha, ect ect.. just as big as a disaster as you can imagine.

But despite all DB fans hating it.. everyone else loved it. I mean it went big. It became an ultra-blockbuster hit, raking in more money then Titanic and Episode 3 COMBINED. It became so popular, that they easily got the rights to do an original TV series produced in America called "The Real Adventures of Dragonball Z." This series, of course, was starred by the movie versions of the character... emo Goku, "pimp-truck" Yamcha, high school cheerleader Chi Chi.

The only small reference/easter egg they gave fans of the original series. Goku sees someone do a Kamehameha in a video game, and laughs saying it looked very lame and "You'd never catch me doing something goofy like that."

Basically the series spawns so much new fans, an overwhelming tide of fandom, and one thing they all have in common is that they hate what Dragonball used to be. We fans of Akira Toriyama's wonderful story become a very small group of people who are basically flamed and ridiculed at all turns. At the end of my nightmare, AKira Toriyama himself stepped forward; and much to our dismay, stated that he feels the new movie/series is the "true" story of Dragonball, and that his own story is too outdated and should be forgotten.

Sure this will never come to pass, we may even say to ourselves something like that could never happen, and we'd probably be right--but still it is a scary thought. If something even remotly similar to that happens, even if its not on that scale, it still has the potential to "kill" the series.
*Huddles in fetal position and shivers*
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions