"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:21 am

Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:So is Invincible now the dubs term for Immortal? If so why? Is this because of lip flaps?
I think it's because he didn't tell them flatout that he was immortal, but they figured it out from him not sustaining damage. Like, he's invincible, so he must be immortal. I don't know if that's how it was in Japanese, but it makes sense within the DUB'S context at the very least.
Doesn't Zamasu tell Trunks he's immortal?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:So is Invincible now the dubs term for Immortal? If so why? Is this because of lip flaps?
I think it's because he didn't tell them flatout that he was immortal, but they figured it out from him not sustaining damage. Like, he's invincible, so he must be immortal. I don't know if that's how it was in Japanese, but it makes sense within the DUB'S context at the very least.
No he tells him he is invincible
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:37 am

The Patrolman wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I think it's because he didn't tell them flatout that he was immortal, but they figured it out from him not sustaining damage. Like, he's invincible, so he must be immortal. I don't know if that's how it was in Japanese, but it makes sense within the DUB'S context at the very least.
No, he tells him he's immortal
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:14 am

OLKv3 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Doesn't Zamasu tell Trunks he's immortal?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I meant in the dub he says he is invincible
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:16 am

The Patrolman wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote: No he tells him he is invincible
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I know that, I was talking about scig's reasoning. You're correct, the dub is using Invincible instead of immortal

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:49 pm

This is purely speculation, but I think they may have changed it to better fit Goku's eat a whole bunch of senzu beans joke. Doing that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for being immortal, but does for being invincible.

I also doubt they're going to use invincible as a substitute for the rest of the arc, but are rather setting this up as another reveal alongside what Zamazu's actual wish was. [spoiler]As in "Oh, so he wished to swap bodies with Goku, and the other wished for immortality, now it makes sense."[/spoiler] Sorry, just covering my bases incase there's actually someone here watching Super for the first time. Anyway, considering how many times Zamasu says the word immortal between now and the end of the arc, I can't imagine why they would arbitrarily change it. I mean, it can't be censorship, this is an uncut dub and they were literally just talking about Deicide in this episode, so I really doubt they'd shy away from the word to protect our sensitive ears. So yeah, I think they did it to fit better fit the senzu joke and set up a small reveal.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:55 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
The Patrolman wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: No, he tells him he's immortal
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I know that, I was talking about scsigs' reasoning. You're correct, the dub is using Invincible instead of immortal
Still, my reasoning stands. In the dub's context, it makes sense, especially when they put everything together in the next episode anyways. Immortality isn't too hard to guess is the thing that's making his body invincible.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:31 pm

If I had to guess, it may be because they think using "immortal" will clash with their use of "mortal" to translate "ningen." Most people will probably get that the use of "immortal" refers to Zamasu's body in this context, while in other contexts "mortal" refers to characters' statuses as not gods. However, I can see some viewers getting confused and thinking, "Hey, wasn't he immortal already? At least, isn't that implied by him hating mortals? He clearly doesn't hate himself. So why does he need to wish for an immortal body, then?" So they probably chose "invincible" to avoid confusion, making it clear that his body can now never be hurt without alluding to his status as a god.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:39 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
If I had to guess, it may be because they think using "immortal" will clash with their use of "mortal" to translate "ningen." Most people will probably get that the use of "immortal" refers to Zamasu's body in this context, while in other contexts "mortal" refers to characters' statuses as not gods. However, I can see some viewers getting confused and thinking, "Hey, wasn't he immortal already? At least, isn't that implied by him hating mortals? He clearly doesn't hate himself. So why does he need to wish for an immortal body, then?" So they probably chose "invincible" to avoid confusion, making it clear that his body can now never be hurt without alluding to his status as a god.
I mean, the show reveals Future Zamasu wished for immortality several times, so it's more than likely they're waiting to fully drop that bombshell, even though it's obvious that that's why he can't be hurt.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 pm

I love Goku. Dude is a riot!

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 am

I noticed Beerus repeatedly calling Goku “Saiyan” Was this in Japanese version as well?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm

shadd21 wrote:I noticed Beerus repeatedly calling Goku “Saiyan” Was this in Japanese version as well?
It's probably to dehumanize Goku a bit, since, let's face it, Goku is...rather stupid in this series.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:51 pm

Scsigs wrote:
shadd21 wrote:I noticed Beerus repeatedly calling Goku “Saiyan” Was this in Japanese version as well?
It's probably to dehumanize Goku a bit, since, let's face it, Goku is...rather stupid in this series.
Is it a dub thing?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:55 pm

I think he doesnt watch the Japanese version so he cant tell you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I think he doesnt watch the Japanese version so he cant tell you.
Oh, I don't. I'm trying to offer a reason why the dub's doing it.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:08 pm

All right guys. With Episode 59 around the corner, it's time we start discussing... Hakai! How will FUNi handle that scene? Will they actually translate it to "Destroy", "Destruction", "Erase", or something? Change it entirely to something like "Begone"? Or just leave it completely untranslated? We'll find out Saturday. But for right now, let's start discussing.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:All right guys. With Episode 59 around the corner, it's time, we start discussing... Hakai! How will FUNi handle that scene? Will they actually translate it to "Destroy", "Destruction", "Erase", or something? Change it entirely to something like "Begone"? Or just leave it completely untranslated? We'll find out Saturday. But for right now, let's start discussing.
Probably he will say "Erase" or "Begone".

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:All right guys. With Episode 59 around the corner, it's time, we start discussing... Hakai! How will FUNi handle that scene? Will they actually translate it to "Destroy", "Destruction", "Erase", or something? Change it entirely to something like "Begone"? Or just leave it completely untranslated? We'll find out Saturday. But for right now, let's start discussing.
I hope it's like XV2 and he straight up says "Hakai'.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 pm

All right guys. Episode 59 is airing right now. It is time we see Hakai Dubbed! Let's see how Funimation handles this.
Caulifla best girl! :)

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Zero Mortals Plan is Project Zero Mortals.

Hakai left as is.
Last edited by DB_Fan1991 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]