Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Am I the only one not happy about the tail's return?
I'll wait and see what's done with it but I'm not happy. Just feels like going backwards to me, I mean tails have been absent since the Saiyan arc. Mr. Toriyama even made Universe 6 Saiyans tailess. I always thought that losing the Oozaru traits was the evolutionary route, that's why I never liked GT transformations.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm

I’m sure you’re not the only one. But I personally don’t mind it.

Adding tails could add different transformations that don’t have to deal with diety ki. Which is fine with me since it essentially became useless.

The only time diety ki was useful in the anime was when Vegeta punched through Toppos Hakai.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:09 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
I’m sure you’re not the only one. But I personally don’t mind it.

Adding tails could add different transformations that don’t have to deal with diety ki. Which is fine with me since it essentially became useless.

The only time diety ki was useful in the anime was when Vegeta punched through Toppos Hakai.
Don't even get me started on that.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 pm

You know, they could make some funny gags around the return of the tail.

Like how Saiyans seem to be doing much better without them in terms of strength. I could see some inside jokes about how they look like they're a hassle to deal with in reference to how Toriyama got rid of them in his manga because he got tired of drawing them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Michsi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:How frustrating that would be if it's somehow Brolli again.
D-don't even joke about that!
Believe me I won't. Wasting this 20th movie on Yet Another Brolli Story would be horrible, imo. :crazy:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm also a fan of the bulkier, tailed U7 saiyan designs so I'm also happy the new character looks to likely have these features.
Same here! I always wanted to see a new evil Saiyan foe with a tail, so I'm super happy we're actually getting something like this.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm

The return of the tail is a good thing. We haven't seen Oozaru is such a long time. In the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, Giran uses a gum that traps Goku. Surprisingly, Goku's tail grows back which gives him sudden strength to break out of the gum and his movements and speed increase. In order to pose a challenge to Goku and Vegeta post-Tournament of Power, the new saiyan has to have a legendary SSJ transformation but even that might not be enough. A Golden Oozaru though might be something interesting. If Yamoshi has some tricks to protect his tail from being cut off and transform without moonlight, then would be cool.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Something I've been thinking of lately: what are the odds of mystery saiyan not being the final villain? Like a red herring. He'd still be essential to the plot, but not the big bad at the end.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Michsi wrote:Something I've been thinking of lately: what are the odds of mystery saiyan not being the final villain? Like a red herring. He'd still be essential to the plot, but not the big bad at the end.
Hmmm...... Could be interesting misdirection.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Michsi wrote:Something I've been thinking of lately: what are the odds of mystery saiyan not being the final villain? Like a red herring. He'd still be essential to the plot, but not the big bad at the end.
Hmmm...... Could be interesting misdirection.
I think this opinion formed because so many believe that this could be Yamoshi, who apparently had been a nice dude, so I automatically started thinking that the mystery saiyan might not necessarily be bad. Even if they return to the wilder, bulkier design, I don't think they'll focus on the saiyan's more sadistic side again.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I hope the villain isn't this Saiyan simply because I don't want the last fight to be a Saiyan vs Saiyan fight.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

LightBing wrote:
I'll wait and see what's done with it but I'm not happy. Just feels like going backwards to me, I mean tails have been absent since the Saiyan arc. Mr. Toriyama even made Universe 6 Saiyans tailess. I always thought that losing the Oozaru traits was the evolutionary route, that's why I never liked GT transformations.
I mean it still could be evolutionary, we literally no knowing about this Saiyan. I always imagined Oozaru and Tails were what Saiyans evolved into and U6 Saiyans further added to this aswell. We know Sadala existed in U7 so perhaps this Saiyan was from Plant/Vegeta.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 pm

I'd be glad for saiyan tails to return. They are a defining trait of saiyans. I hate how the tails went away honestly. It just removes a special species trait and makes the saiyans just look more like humans. I would rather they be more distinguished from humans than less, even if a little bit.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:35 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:The return of the tail is a good thing. We haven't seen Oozaru is such a long time. In the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai, Giran uses a gum that traps Goku. Surprisingly, Goku's tail grows back which gives him sudden strength to break out of the gum and his movements and speed increase. In order to pose a challenge to Goku and Vegeta post-Tournament of Power, the new saiyan has to have a legendary SSJ transformation but even that might not be enough. A Golden Oozaru though might be something interesting. If Yamoshi has some tricks to protect his tail from being cut off and transform without moonlight, then would be cool.
A tail with UI might be a practical solution.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
LightBing wrote:
I mean it still could be evolutionary, we literally no knowing about this Saiyan. I always imagined Oozaru and Tails were what Saiyans evolved into and U6 Saiyans further added to this aswell. We know Sadala existed in U7 so perhaps this Saiyan was from Plant/Vegeta.
I'm open for explanations, I just want this trend to be addressed. Maybe we'll get them with Mr.Toriyama recent exploration into Saiyan technicalities.

Some sort two way evolutionary line: human and oozaru. The human way being the one followed by Goku and friends.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 pm

Imagine how hilarious it would be if he turned to be another Broly pastiche.
Feels over Reals.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Not that it wasn't obvious before but it's nice to get conformation that the dude is a saiyan. Can't say I'm thrilled though as we've already had saiyan villains before and Vegeta is still easily the best one we ever got. All I hope is that the dude doesn't look like Goku and at the very least has a interesting fighting style. Also another thing is that I hope the guy isn't stronger than Jiren. I know this is Dragon ball and that's what they do but I don't want a villain who's as strong or stronger than Jiren so soon.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:30 pm

emperior wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
emperior wrote: I would definitely like to see the movie show us both Yamoshi, the first Super Saiyan, and the first Super Saiyan God.
Yamoshi is the first Super Saiyan, Goku is the first Super Saiyan God.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
emperior wrote:It's nice to have confirmation the Saiyan has a tail. It's also clear the ice will play a part in the movie: maybe the evil Saiyan is the one who was able to defeat Yamoshi by destroying Sadala, and was able to survive the explosion but got frozen in space?
For me, that seems a lot more plausible than it's Yamoshi himself.
Yamoshi had a righteous heart. He stood up to the evil ways of the other Saiyans. Why would he attempt to destroy the Earth? 99.99% positive it's not him.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:52 pm

emperior wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
emperior wrote:It's nice to have confirmation the Saiyan has a tail. It's also clear the ice will play a part in the movie: maybe the evil Saiyan is the one who was able to defeat Yamoshi by destroying Sadala, and was able to survive the explosion but got frozen in space?
Didn't Yamoshi die tiring himself out against superior numbers?
But Sadala eventually got destroyed. Maybe it wasn't destroyed in the Yamoshi battle, but in the Super Saiyan God one, which would explain:
- Why Vegeta never heard of a Super Saiyan God. If it happened on Planet Vegeta, the legend would have spread.
- How Sadala was destroyed. If Yamoshi got cornered and beat by higher numbers, I doubt the planet got destroyed in that occasion which explains why the Super Saiyan legend was common among Saiyans, as someone survived to tell about it. I also find it more plausible that Yamoshi's spirit wandered on Sadala and not Vegeta. The movie's villain being the evil Saiyan who fought against the first Super Saiyan God in a battle that destroyed the Saiyan's homeplanet would also make him a much more fearsome foe.

I believe that Toriyama decided to retcon his first version of the original SSG story and make it the story of the legendary SSJ, which is why Shenron never talked about the story in Super's retelling of Battle of Gods. If this is the case, that's a smart move by Toriyama. In hindsight I like how Shenron knew of the SSG only because of the Namekian Book of Legends, as it makes the ritual more mysterious and doesn't make Vegeta sound like a ignorant idiot by not knowing of it. It also didn't make sense for the original SSG to have appeared on Planet Vegeta without the legend spreading if the evil Saiyans were able to defeat the Super Saiyan God.

I would definitely like to see the movie show us both Yamoshi, the first Super Saiyan, and the first Super Saiyan God.
Yamoshi never went God, only Super Saiyan. Goku was the actual first Super Saiyan God.