"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 pm

He actually said Hakai
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Yo, that sounded badass. Kudos to you FUNi for not translating it, and kudos to you Mr. Jason Douglas for the badass way you said it. :clap: :thumbup:
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about them keeping Hakai since they'd already given up on keeping Japanese attack names halfway through Kai but the delivery was great

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:19 pm

I'm not necessarily against keeping "Hakai", but I feel like if I were to approach it from an outsider's perspective, it doesn't carry the same impact when you don't know what it means. Just my opinion, I'm cool with it either way.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about them keeping Hakai since they'd already given up on keeping Japanese attack names halfway through Kai but the delivery was great
It depends. Like Kaioken and Kamehameha were left untranslated despite changing other names in that era. Plus a lot of the English names was grandfathered, which is why they went back on most of them.

On another note, I loved Funi indirectly reference the idea of Black and Zamasu’s sword and shield relationship with Black saying a mighty enough sword doesn’t need a shield.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:25 pm

HeroR wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about them keeping Hakai since they'd already given up on keeping Japanese attack names halfway through Kai but the delivery was great
It depends. Like Kaioken and Kamehameha were left untranslated despite changing other names in that era. Plus a lot of the English names was grandfathered, which is why they went back on most of them.

On another note, I loved Funi indirectly reference the idea of Black and Zamasu’s sword and shield relationship with Black saying a mighty enough sword doesn’t need a shield.
Those were always the major exceptions to the rule

That said, it's honestly astounding to me that through every adaptation dating back to the Harmony Gold dub, The Kame Hame Ha has never onced had its name changed despite everything else that was

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:38 am

I really wish they would have used "Destroy" instead of "Hakai". I'm sure some younger viewers will be consfused as to what the meaning of it is.

Masters' Zamasu voice is growing on me now. I kinda get why people like him so much.

Also I really didn't enjoy Vegetto in dubbed Kai. His lines and performance made him seen like a really cringy 90's cool kid. I hope FUNimation takes a different approach this time around.
Last edited by Firebolt on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 am

I would agree with you if Dragon Ball Super didnt air on Adult Swim.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 am

That "Hakai" felt like a One Piece moment. Look up Trafalgar Law using his "Shambles" attack & you'll see what I mean.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:18 am

I love the comment that Gowasu made after Zamasu's death -- 'Not to be'. Zamasu's name derives from the Japanese verb ざます (Zamasu), which translates as "to be, to exist". Therefore, it makes sense that, after Zamasu has literally been erased from existence, Gowasu would say 'Not to be'.

The dialogue between Goku Black and Future Zamasu was flawless, simply superb. This clash of ideologies, this complex banter, Zamasu truly is the deepest villain in Dragon Ball.
That was just beautiful. Such an amazing metaphor. Indeed, during every fight, the immortal Zamasu plays the role of a 'shield' for his ally to block incoming attacks, whereas Black plays the role of a 'sword' to vanquish their foes. Perfect teamwork.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:44 am

Firebolt wrote:I really wish they would have used "Destroy" instead of "Hakai". I'm sure some younger viewers will be consfused as to what the meaning of it is.

Masters' Zamasu voice is growing on me now. I kinda get why people like him so much.

Also I really didn't enjoy Vegetto in dubbed Kai. His lines and performance made him seen like a really cringy 90's cool kid. I hope FUNimation takes a different approach this time around.
Younger viewers won't care, just think the name sounds cool. When I was a kid I sure as hell wasn't wondering what Kamehameha and Kaioken meant, I just loved them because they were the names of cool moves

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 am

Firebolt wrote:I really wish they would have used "Destroy" instead of "Hakai". I'm sure some younger viewers will be consfused as to what the meaning of it is.

That's why context is a thing. Beerus says Hakai and Zamasu is killed, not really difficult for anyone to piece the puzzle here. It's not like it happened off screen and Beerus said he Hakai'd him that would be different.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:39 am

Don't wanna be rude, but is anyone dissatisfied with Goku's English VA? I think he does well voicing Goku Black, but his voice acting for Goku just sounds so unbearable. Sean Schemmel imo is really trying too hard to pull off that goofy side of Goku that Masako captures, but he doesn't really do it well at all. He sounds so annoying and cringy.

I'm fine with everyone else's voice acting like Sabat's and the guys who voice Zamasu and Gowasu. But Schemmel, I just feel that he's become worse at it or maybe his recordings are rusehd, like the script. The script is also boring for most of the cast. Goku's especially. Does anyone else feel this way about his actor? Or is it just me? It really hinders my enjoyment of the dub.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:I'm not necessarily against keeping "Hakai", but I feel like if I were to approach it from an outsider's perspective, it doesn't carry the same impact when you don't know what it means. Just my opinion, I'm cool with it either way.
Idk about you, but just saying “destruction” in English would sound off to me. I know what you mean tho.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Exline wrote:Don't wanna be rude, but is anyone dissatisfied with Goku's English VA? I think he does well voicing Goku Black, but his voice acting for Goku just sounds so unbearable. Sean Schemmel imo is really trying too hard to pull off that goofy side of Goku that Masako captures, but he doesn't really do it well at all. He sounds so annoying and cringy.

I'm fine with everyone else's voice acting like Sabat's and the guys who voice Zamasu and Gowasu. But Schemmel, I just feel that he's become worse at it or maybe his recordings are rusehd, like the script. The script is also boring for most of the cast. Goku's especially. Does anyone else feel this way about his actor? Or is it just me? It really hinders my enjoyment of the dub.
I mean, this isn't my prefered voice acting for Sean as Goku, but I think he's trying to go more with the comedy by having his voice for him be a bit higher in pitch so that when Goku gets serious or something, you feel it. Personally, I think it works decently, but I do prefer when he just talks normally as Goku. He's had this since Kai TFC (I don't like to say Res F because that dub was recorded after TFC. I just thought that this was a natural evolution for him, since that's how real life voices tend to work in different situations, which is what helps us determine other people's emotions. He does seem like he tries a little too hard, but I don't think it's that bad. I get if you hate it, though.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:56 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Zero Mortals Plan is Project Zero Mortals.
Such a pointless change.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Scsigs wrote:
I mean, this isn't my prefered voice acting for Sean as Goku, but I think he's trying to go more with the comedy by having his voice for him be a bit higher in pitch so that when Goku gets serious or something, you feel it. Personally, I think it works decently, but I do prefer when he just talks normally as Goku. He's had this since Kai TFC (I don't like to say Res F because that dub was recorded after TFC. I just thought that this was a natural evolution for him, since that's how real life voices tend to work in different situations, which is what helps us determine other people's emotions. He does seem like he tries a little too hard, but I don't think it's that bad. I get if you hate it, though.
Yeah I guess the nostalgia takes over me when it comes to Goku’s voice. His acting for Goku in DBZ and Kai Part 1 were phenomenal for me. I prefer when he talks normally as opposed to the playful demeanor he keeps trying in TFC and Super. It’s also not just his voice, but his lines as well. Sometimes their either too long that he has to speak really fast and it sounds really off to me.

I really hope there is a step up from him and the writing staff as well when it comes to his script and acting. I want to be able to enjoy the dub like I used to. I’ve become so accustomed to the Japanese Voice Actors tho so it’s probably harder for me to enjoy it now haha.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:20 pm

The Hakai scene was just as awesome in dub as it was subbed. Major props :clap:

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Next episode we're getting the dubbed version of Chaofan Music/Fried Rice Music (ED6).

The scene where base Black and Zamasu had tea wasn't as bad as I was expecting, given Black doesn't drastically shift accents upon going Rose.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 pm

The "not to be" line seemed a little random. In the original, Gowasu just says "Zamasu" in a regretful tone. "Not to be" and the delivery of it had an "Oh well" tone to it.

"Hakai" was delivered well and I don't think it will be a problem for anyone that hasn't seen what hakai means. The first time I saw this episode was unsubbed and just the way the attack looked set it apart from any other attack. I think viewers will understand context in this case. Though a little subtitle at the bottom like "Hakai=destroy" wouldn't have hurt. Kind of like they do with Japanese signs in anime at times.

Strange note but I like Zamasu's death scream better here, despite not enjoying his VA much. The original seemed like it had this weird filter on it and it always stuck out to me as sounding pretty corny.