Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Does anyone else think that Gohan should have been in his Great Saiyaman outfit in the ToP? I'm tired of him wearing either his dad's, or Piccolo's outfits
None of these options, but I think he should get his own gi, something new and yet different from Goku and Piccolo ones.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm

The Universe 6 arc, as boring and mediocre as it was, was probably the only arc of Super with an identity of its own (even if Toyotaro's and Toei's incessant callbacks detract a bit from that, I feel that Toriyama's outline probably felt the most unique out of every Super arc). That is, it didn't rely too much on nostalgia in comparison to the other arcs. The Black arc ditching the F outfits (which screamed 'modern') signified a return to Z (also by bringing back Trunks, and the ToP followed suit by bringing back #17 and Freeza). Outfits may not mean much, but they're part of what gave each series its own identity. GT, as bad as it was, definitely feels like a continuation of Z because the designs change.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:The Universe 6 arc, as boring and mediocre as it was, was probably the only arc of Super with an identity of its own (even if Toyotaro's and Toei's incessant callbacks detract a bit from that, I feel that Toriyama's outline probably felt the most unique out of every Super arc). That is, it didn't rely too much on nostalgia in comparison to the other arcs. The Black arc ditching the F outfits (which screamed 'modern') signified a return to Z (also by bringing back Trunks, and the ToP followed suit by bringing back #17 and Freeza). Outfits may not mean much, but they're part of what gave each series its own identity. GT, as bad as it was, definitely feels like a continuation of Z because the designs change.
To this day I have no idea why those outfits were gotten rid of. I mean, to make it like Z yeah, but people overall liked the outfits didn't they? I know I did anyway.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The Universe 6 arc, as boring and mediocre as it was, was probably the only arc of Super with an identity of its own (even if Toyotaro's and Toei's incessant callbacks detract a bit from that, I feel that Toriyama's outline probably felt the most unique out of every Super arc). That is, it didn't rely too much on nostalgia in comparison to the other arcs. The Black arc ditching the F outfits (which screamed 'modern') signified a return to Z (also by bringing back Trunks, and the ToP followed suit by bringing back #17 and Freeza). Outfits may not mean much, but they're part of what gave each series its own identity. GT, as bad as it was, definitely feels like a continuation of Z because the designs change.
To this day I have no idea why those outfits were gotten rid of. I mean, to make it like Z yeah, but people overall liked the outfits didn't they? I know I did anyway.
I was not too much a fan of Goku's new outfit. The Blue Boots didn't mesh well with the orange gi imo. I also was not a fan of Goku's missing under shirt!

I thought Vegeta's was fine but it looked too much of a recolor instead of a whole new fighting gi like he got in the Buu Saga.

However, I think they are fine the way they are. I don't really ever get tired of seeing Vegeta in his Battle Armor. Same goes for Goku's orange gi.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Exline wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
I was not too much a fan of Goku's new outfit. The Blue Boots didn't mesh well with the orange gi imo. I also was not a fan of Goku's missing under shirt!

I thought Vegeta's was fine but it looked too much of a recolor instead of a whole new fighting gi like he got in the Buu Saga.

However, I think they are fine the way they are. I don't really ever get tired of seeing Vegeta in his Battle Armor. Same goes for Goku's orange gi.
I think part of my thing was that I liked Vegeta's Namek armor he fought Freeza with a lot when I first saw it, so when I saw his Cell arc armor I only ever saw it as a downgrade. The RoF one shares similarities to Namek so that's why I like it probably. The black on it is nice too.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Can we actually consider Super a Z sequel since it's before episodes 289-291?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:58 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Can we actually consider Super a Z sequel since it's before episodes 289-291?
You could call it an inbetequel.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 pm

ABED wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Can we actually consider Super a Z sequel since it's before episodes 289-291?
Cause midquel would be too easy
Get Fucked, C_unt

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:17 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
ABED wrote:
Cause midquel would be too easy
An interquel?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/interquel

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:59 pm

What's the best way to get a hold of the first 3 DBZ movies uncut with the Ocean dub? It seems to be look for "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie" and then the corresponding subtitle, right? And what's a general price? I've found some postings but a lot only have a Google image of the cover instead of a real picture so it's hard to take it seriously. One eBay posting even had the description "Our shirts all come packaged..." and I stopped reading there :lol:

Any leads?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 pm

It's kinda surreal to think Piccolo and Vegeta have never fought.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Inbetequel is more fun to say.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Forte224 wrote:What's the best way to get a hold of the first 3 DBZ movies uncut with the Ocean dub? It seems to be look for "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie" and then the corresponding subtitle, right? And what's a general price? I've found some postings but a lot only have a Google image of the cover instead of a real picture so it's hard to take it seriously. One eBay posting even had the description "Our shirts all come packaged..." and I stopped reading there :lol:

Any leads?

Amazon.com has them for like $70 fucking dollars

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:31 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Forte224 wrote:What's the best way to get a hold of the first 3 DBZ movies uncut with the Ocean dub? It seems to be look for "Dragon Ball Z: The Movie" and then the corresponding subtitle, right? And what's a general price? I've found some postings but a lot only have a Google image of the cover instead of a real picture so it's hard to take it seriously. One eBay posting even had the description "Our shirts all come packaged..." and I stopped reading there :lol:

Any leads?

Amazon.com has them for like $70 fucking dollars
Yeesh, that sounds bad but I guess $23 for each isn't too bad. Thanks. Or wait...did you mean $70 each?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:55 pm

70 for the 3 movie boxset which still seems steep to me. I got the first 5 movies in a boxset at wal-mart a while agon for like $20 and while its unfortunately the Funi redub it at least has the Japanese audio available.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:70 for the 3 movie boxset which still seems steep to me. I got the first 5 movies in a boxset at wal-mart a while agon for like $20 and while its unfortunately the Funi redub it at least has the Japanese audio available.
Yeah I bought that too for the Japanese version which is my primary way of watching. But wanted the Ocean movies just to watch and for a sort-of collector's item. But it is steep comparatively, yeah.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Wasn't the whole point of "Ultimate" Gohan that it wasn't a transformation at all? Elder Kai even said that the Saiyans rely too much on transformations, so "Ultimate" being an actual form didn't make any sense. I feel like somewhere along the line fans decided it was a transformation and they're now being catered to by making it an actual form in Super.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:12 pm

Just a thought, I wonder if durability could be considered a, if not the, defining trait of pure-blooded Saiyans. They can take a hell of a beating, and I don't think I can think of examples when any full Saiyans have been killed without facing somebody significantly stronger (the Raditz thing is the closest counter-example I guess, but Piccolo's attack was probably significantly stronger than a weakened Raditz at that point).

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Hoo boy it's been a while

Hey all, just wanted to ask something regarding the translation of Ultra Instinct "Sign"/"Omen"; is one of the two any more "accurate" than the other, or is it mainly up to preference? I've attempted to do some digging around the 'net, primarily Herms' Twitter, but I haven't been able to find anything concrete, unfortunately.

Any input is appreciated, thank you in advance!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:46 am

Did Vegeta at any point use his classic rapid fire ki blasts move in Super? I don't seem to recall an instance.