"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:01 am

At this point they might as well just give it a 35 minute time slot just so they can play the whole ending
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:15 am

I laughed at how short they cut Fried Rice Music. Seems like they cut all the Chinese words, too (at least in this extremely truncated version).

This episode was pretty slow (not the fault of the dub...it always felt like a sort of time waster before we get back to the good stuff). I'm fuckin pumped for 61 though, knowing what goes down. Absolutely my favorite episode of Super, and the preview sounded good, so hoping for the best!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 am

In the next episode preview, Goku says "Here's what I think of your immortality." So it looks like they did indeed use "invincible" as a bait and switch, for story purposes.

Quite liked tonight's episode, felt everyone's performances were on point. I thought even Vale had some nuanced moments, when the two Trunks were talking. Can't wait to hear him say the closing line for next episode.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:37 am

Really enjoyed the dub for 60. Eric Vale sounded much better as Trunks in this episode. I always forget just how good Jason Douglas is as Beerus.

Next episode is one of my favourite episodes of Super. Can't wait to see it dubbed.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm

I thought Sean and Chris would've altered the kiss scene around, oh well. Goku has kissed Chichi, so that entire exchange was a lie. Didn't they smooch during that scene when Goku recovers from the heart virus, and talks about ascending past a Super Saiyan. Master Roshi Is all sneaking up on them lol.

Android17

Post by Android17 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:46 pm

I know that there's been some controversy over Sean's voice for Black but I've got to say I'm loving his performance. The way Sean delivered the "I swithced bodies with you, Goku" made it actually sound like it was actually Zamasu speaking through Goku's body, the inflections in the voice almost perfectly mimicked Marsters' performance.

I get why they kept the line about Goku never kissing Chi-Chi, they wanted to stay accurate to the source material and all. But this is one of those times where I wouldn't have minded some of FUNimation's creative liberties. That line will just never sit well with me.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:I thought Sean and Chris would've altered the kiss scene around, oh well. Goku has kissed Chichi, so that entire exchange was a lie. Didn't they smooch during that scene when Goku recovers from the heart virus, and talks about ascending past a Super Saiyan. Master Roshi Is all sneaking up on them lol.
Yeah, they did. Heck, they even made a figure of it! I guess the idea is that it’s “filler” so it doesn’t count but that argument has never made sense to me. The Super anime seems to address the previous anime as coming before it so I don’t understand why something that happened in the previous anime now doesn’t count. Eh.

I am looking forward to seeing next week’s though! The sub of Goku losing it after learning about ChiChi and Goten is marvelous so I can’t wait to see how Sean tackles it. His delivery of emotional scenes has always been some of my favorite traits about his performance. The preview seems promising!
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:58 pm

Watching so much of Maid-sama this last few days every time Bulma spoke I kept thinking it's Misa. :lol:

Beerus was hilarious at the beginning "I showed kindness I should destory them all" xD.

Great episode as always. Preview for 61 sounds GREAT!

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:47 pm

ulisa wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:I thought Sean and Chris would've altered the kiss scene around, oh well. Goku has kissed Chichi, so that entire exchange was a lie. Didn't they smooch during that scene when Goku recovers from the heart virus, and talks about ascending past a Super Saiyan. Master Roshi Is all sneaking up on them lol.
Yeah, they did. Heck, they even made a figure of it! I guess the idea is that it’s “filler” so it doesn’t count but that argument has never made sense to me. The Super anime seems to address the previous anime as coming before it so I don’t understand why something that happened in the previous anime now doesn’t count. Eh.

I am looking forward to seeing next week’s though! The sub of Goku losing it after learning about ChiChi and Goten is marvelous so I can’t wait to see how Sean tackles it. His delivery of emotional scenes has always been some of my favorite traits about his performance. The preview seems promising!
That's not how Super is doing it. Super is a direct sequel to the manga's original depiction of the storyline/Kai, while also influencing some things either Toriyama approved for the anime filler, or outright stated he liked, like Yamcha's Baseball career, which had no bearing in the original manga, or Kai, nor does it seem to make sense, since Yamcha was both living with Bulma & is a martial artist, though the baseball stuff is still arguable as to if it's actually what they're going for. So, it's ignoring what the previous shows did for filler because that's not the continuity that they're going with.

On top of that, character interactions during storylines in this series are meant as what's canon & not filler. You can't have filler in an episode of a show that's paced reasonably well. It's just a dumb line is all. Everything about Goku's characterization is just off in general because the writing staff & producers care more about appeasing Toriyama & making something they can make money off of rather than something that's written consistently, since Toriyama complained before the series entered production how they overplayed Goku's hero-ness (which was only in the filler & movies for all I know, seeing as they had the right scenes to use in Kai) & Toei rushed the production, with an inexperienced animation staff to boot who couldn't handle the workload, of Super so much that they were surprised that the animation of episode 5 was as bad as it was & one of the producers there didn't get what the people who complain about the animation were talking about. Seeing as episode 60 had some really bad animation in it, I'd think that that'd be obvious.

So, yeah, the filler comment doesn't add up & the animation reuse from Z (which is actually from Kai's remaster to show certain past events) doesn't address the previous anime shows being in this show's continuity, so much as it does that the events of the manga did (since they still reanimated the History of Trunks special's scenes to retcon Trunks' hair color because they stupidly thought that no one would care or remember, which was stupid because Kai refreshed people's memories, as well as merch & video games), so I'd chalk it up to the writers & animators not having any sense of logic go into this show to actually alter what Toriyama wanted in the show for it to make sense. The fact that there's actually a lack of filler in most of this show shows that they didn't want to have the arcs overstay their welcome, but the fact that they're unwilling to alter some details that Toriyama wanted in the storyline or even remotely plan ahead with their pacing of this shows that this show was done with someone asleep or not trying hard enough at the wheel. Then again, they go from going too fast to too slow from what I've read with the next arc, so I don't know.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 am

Black in the preview sounds fantastic and I can't wait to watch him stomp all the opposition, Future Zamasu also sounds ready for fight. Goku acting so cocky, thinking that immortality means nothing. He will be punished for his insolence. Also in a few more weeks there will be the advent of Fused Zamasu, I can't wait!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 am

Had a dream the Trunks arc ended with Black and Zamasu turning good, Goku & Co heading back saying bye Goku Black lol. Very bizarre....

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Eric Vale's delivery in Super is enervating to try and listen to, flat at many points and really exaggerated at others. He sounds like a character in a Sonic the Hedgehog game. Not sure who's to blame here, Future Trunks was one of the better performances in the Z dub. I don't really remember how he sounded in Kai, but I certainly don't remember having a problem with his voice like I do in Super.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:04 am

Kuwabara wrote:Eric Vale's delivery in Super is enervating to try and listen to, flat at many points and really exaggerated at others. He sounds like a character in a Sonic the Hedgehog game. Not sure who's to blame here, Future Trunks was one of the better performances in the Z dub. I don't really remember how he sounded in Kai, but I certainly don't remember having a problem with his voice like I do in Super.
It's more similar to his Kai performance than anything else, but yeah something's off. His dialogue can be kind of wonky too. When 18 confronts him and mentions that she heard about him killing her in the future, in Japanese he hesitantly responds "N-no, that's" because he's lost for words, but in the dub he says "Well it was you or mankind so yeah" in a kind of abrupt tone. Didn't fit his shocked facial expression, a facial expression caused by him seeing 18 standing in front of him while he had no idea she was even part of the team now.

Anyway, despite his delivery improving massively for Kai when compared to Z, the voice itself has received a good amount of criticism even from people that love Kai.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 am

What if Goku and Chichi never kissed in the dub scene, they were just making lovey dovey faces at each other. That way, this line can make sense dub wise.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Next episode is one of my favorites but it also starts the madness that brings this arc down for me.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I hope Schemmel delivers in Episode #61, I like his enraged Goku voice acting
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:55 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I hope Schemmel delivers in Episode #61, I like his enraged Goku voice acting
Oh, Schemmel can bring it. You want him to be a pissed off Goku, he can be a pissed off Goku. His acting in Kai's Frieza Saga should've erased those doubts.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Scsigs wrote:they still reanimated the History of Trunks special's scenes to retcon Trunks' hair color because they stupidly thought that no one would care or remember, which was stupid because Kai refreshed people's memories, as well as merch & video games
I thought the scene was reanimated because the only HD master of it is Funi's, and they didn't want to make an HD master of footage they weren't going to use much of.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:they still reanimated the History of Trunks special's scenes to retcon Trunks' hair color because they stupidly thought that no one would care or remember, which was stupid because Kai refreshed people's memories, as well as merch & video games
I thought the scene was reanimated because the only HD master of it is Funi's, and they didn't want to make an HD master of footage they weren't going to use much of.
Nope. I'm absolutely certain it was to keep up the lie that Future Trunks' hair was always blue. Otherwise, they would've just reused the footage. it wouldn't have taken long to remaster anyways, so I'm sticking with my theory.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:38 pm

They reused footage from Kai that showed Future Trunks with purple hair...so.....
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.