Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 14; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming...

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:As a side-note, odd that that list with DB, GT, and Kai on it doesn't also list Z. Does it only list works that Calgary cast members were involved in?
That's the impression I got, since the website is Chinook Animation's. I guess Chinook Animation is technically the "head honcho company" behind Blue Water. As somebody pointed out earlier though, not everything on the list actually made it to TV...like a Blue Water pilot/test-episode dub of One Piece. Hmm. So apparently there's a Blue Water dub of the first episode of One Piece on a hard drive somewhere in Calgary.

And now, upon further research, I'm discovering rumors (EDIT: not rumors, confirmed reports with actual video clips!) of a pilot/test-episode dub of One Piece using Ocean's talent in Vancouver. Man, there's like this whole world of dubs that never saw the light of day!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:49 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:As a side-note, odd that that list with DB, GT, and Kai on it doesn't also list Z. Does it only list works that Calgary cast members were involved in?
That's the impression I got, since the website is Chinook Animation's. I guess Chinook Animation is technically the "head honcho company" behind Blue Water. As somebody pointed out earlier though, not everything on the list actually made it to TV...like a Blue Water pilot/test-episode dub of One Piece. Hmm. So apparently there's a Blue Water dub of the first episode of One Piece on a hard drive somewhere in Calgary.
Haha. I actually edited that part out of my post just before you replied there.

Apparently that site only lists Calgary productions.

Much as I'd love to speculate about the idea of a mysterious Blue Water One Piece dub(Though, remember, it is known that a few companies did try out for that show; Funimation did a test episode before 4Kids got ahold of it, so it's not all that surprising), as others suggested, it's probably best if we try to stay on topic.

On that note, since we're now at the top of a new page, and we're likely to be trying to keep discussion in here more focused on Ocean Kai and new developments about it, here's a quick breakdown of current standings of the Ocean Kai dub:
[spoiler]Wow Unlimited are likely to be picking it up, as Marni Shulman has expressed interest in picking it up, she said she's trying to make it happen, and that she'd have more calls "Next week", several months ago, and has said that things are going smoothly whenever asked about it.
Shulman seems very enthusiastic, so I think we're in good hands here. :)
Wow Unlimited is likely to get its CRTC approval as a channel sometime in the next few months. It's likely that that will be the next time we hear any real news on Ocean Kai.

It's possible Toei produced this dub, though we don't know for sure.

The video master for this dub(Or perhaps just its edited master, if they did an uncut version. Someone with insider information(I believe it was Kirbopher, could have been SubzeroIce) said that both cut and uncut with a cut version dubbing were considered, though we never found out what decision was made) was used by Funimation as their edited video master for Kai. It's likely that Ocean sending this material to Funi his how Sean Schemmel saw some parts of it.

The replacement score was composed by the same team of Tom Keenlyside, John Mitchell, and David Iris who composed the score for the Westwood dub. However, instead of reusing some tracks from Mega Man, a few originals, and some stuff from Monster Rancher, a completely new original score has been composed for Ocean Kai. So, no crappily-placed Kikuchi in this dub.

The scripts are almost certainly originals translated by Ocean.

An effort has been made to make this dub a more faithful take on the show, to the point that they're pronouncing Namek more similarly to how it's pronounced in Japanese, rather than how it's historically been pronounced in English dubs of the show.

Currently-known cast list:
CALGARY:
  • Brendan Hunter as Tenshinhan
  • James Beach as an unknown character in episode 21
VANCOUVER:
  • Scott McNeil as Piccolo, Jeice, Dr. Briefs
  • Brian Drummond as Vegeta
  • Michael Dobson as Nappa
  • Saffron Henderson as Gohan
  • Richard Ian Cox as Goku (Newcomer)
  • Lee Tockar as Freeza (Newcomer)
  • Cole Howard as #17 (Newcomer)
It's also known that Cell will likely have a new voice, as will Zarbon, most likely.
To my knowledge, Scott McNeil wasn't the original voice of Dr. Briefs, but he took over starting from the Westwood dub. This, alongside the fact Kirby Morrow was auditioned for Goku, but Ian Corlett and Peter Kelamis were not, and the fact Saffron Henderson implied she's back as Gohan, suggests that the voice actor who had a role the most was re-auditioned for each role. Given the fact Brendan Hunter was brought back as Tenshinhan, after he played the charcter in the Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and GT, it's likely they auditioned both cast pools, or that when a Vancouver actor was deemed unfitting, they re-auditioned the character's Blue Water actor.

It's possible that Don Brown returned as Kaio in this dub. Brian Drummond said he hasn't worked with Don Brown for 2-3 years, but that he does do the odd show, so while we still don't know either way, it is possible he's back.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm

It wasnt speculation. I mean it WAS, but It was just a fear I had. After all. its been literally a decade since this started I think and they could have been replaced without our knowledge. However, I'm REALLY glad its not the case. I REALLY AM. I like your snark Robo, even if its a bit rude. Because I like you the way you are.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm afraid the Ocean actors could have been replaced with Blue Water ones from Alberta.
Currently known Dragon Ball Kai Ocean dub cast list:

CALGARY:
  • Brendan Hunter as Tenshinhan
  • James Beach as an unknown character in episode 21
VANCOUVER:
  • Scott McNeil as Piccolo, Jeice, Dr. Briefs
  • Brian Drummond as Vegeta
  • Michael Dobson as Nappa
  • Saffron Henderson as Gohan
  • Richard Ian Cox as Goku (Newcomer)
  • Lee Tockar as Freeza (Newcomer)
  • Cole Howard as #17 (Newcomer)
Yes, sounds like everyone has been replaced with Calgary actors. :wink:
(Apologies for the snark, but to be fair, it is pretty funny when you look at the facts here, compared to your speculation)
I'm pretty sure Cole Howard still lived in Calgary when this dub was recorded.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:28 pm

Don't forget, we possibly have Roger Rhodes as Raditz.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:19 pm

SX10 wrote:Don't forget, we possibly have Roger Rhodes as Raditz.
Where did you find the evidence that he's possibly playing Raditz?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:57 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
SX10 wrote:Don't forget, we possibly have Roger Rhodes as Raditz.
Where did you find the evidence that he's possibly playing Raditz?
I'm having great difficulty remembering how I saw that; I do have an awful memory. I kind of regret bringing it up now that I can't back it up. I do remember that it wasn't officially confirmed or anything though. It was all rumours heard through the grapevine I think. Sorry that I can't be of much more use.
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm very interested in hearing the Ocean Kai Raditz. Not sure if Roger Rhodes would be my first pick though. I found his work as Vegeta in GT to be forced at times and often tried too hard to sound like Drummond, so I'm not sure how he'd do with a character that is supposed to sound more malicious. I could be wrong of course if he's given a good director, but we'll just have to wait until Ocean Kai airs (fingers crossed) and if he has a role.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Rhodes always sounded a bit similar to TFS Nappa more than Drummond in my opinion.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:I mean, you can find both good & bad actors both in union & nonunion parts of the acting world. Personally, I could care less which the actors come from, as long as I can still enjoy the product itself. I mean, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (as with the rest of the games) was a union dub & Aqua & Terra's VAs weren't that good for what was required of them. It's all a matter of acting talent & direction VS the amount of money paying the actors.
I don't like it when people act as if as non-union dubs are a bad thing. It's like they think they are a necessary evil and that non-union actors are inferior to union ones.

If I were an union actor, I'd sure as hell be disgusted by how some people treat non-union actors.

What difference it would make if Dragon Ball Z was dubbed by union American voice actors? Would it be more popular? Are voice actors what makes a product sell? Wanting people like Frank Welker, Grey DeLisle, Jennifer Hale, Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, Dee Bradley Baker to do anime dubbing is more of a desire than a necessity.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 am

YES! And an union dub with people like Peter Cullen and BJ Ward is nice on paper but in execution its Voltron all over again.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:YES! And an union dub with people like Peter Cullen and BJ Ward is nice on paper but in execution its Voltron all over again.
So you're saying that a union dub is doomed to fail because it would definitely be poorly executed? That there's no chance a studio could just put some extra money in what would otherwise still be a decent dub, so they can get some top-tier LA(Or Vancouver) union actors, and do a truly top-tier dub?
(COUGH Death Note COUGH)

There's a reason the high-budget LA union actors are considered the best in the business, and that they get so much work in such a variety of things. The only thing that really stands in the way of them doing anime is the fact that ADR work doesn't pay anywhere near as well as pre-lay(Especially in anime), so a lot of actors end up just sticking to pre-lay work.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't like it when people act as if as non-union dubs are a bad thing. It's like they think they are a necessary evil and that non-union actors are inferior to union ones.

If I were an union actor, I'd sure as hell be disgusted by how some people treat non-union actors.

What difference it would make if Dragon Ball Z was dubbed by union American voice actors? Would it be more popular? Are voice actors what makes a product sell? Wanting people like Frank Welker, Grey DeLisle, Jennifer Hale, Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, Dee Bradley Baker to do anime dubbing is more of a desire than a necessity.
To be fair, a union LA dub would probably be a much better dub than the non-union Texas dubs Funimation gives us.

No offense to the performances of the Funi cast, but let's be real -- the true cream of the crop tend to end up in either LA of Vancouver, doing union work. If you want an absolute top-tier dub, union LA or Vancouver is the way to go. Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, etc. would all be welcome members of a Dragon Ball cast. Plus, the casting pool would be so much bigger, giving a much wider variety of voices. You wouldn't get cases like Chris Sabat as Piccolo, Vegeta, Yamcha, Jeice, Burter, and Shen Long...
Granted, Funi have got a lot better since the '00s, and they now do produce good dubs with fairly varied casts, but y'know...

But, you and Cure Dragon, if you want to continue this line of discussion, I suggest you move it to the "General Dubbing Debate" thread that was opened up in general for these kinds of discussions, so as to not clog up the Ocean Kai thread with things that aren't directly related to Ocean Kai.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:YES! And an union dub with people like Peter Cullen and BJ Ward is nice on paper but in execution its Voltron all over again.
So you're saying that a union dub is doomed to fail because it would definitely be poorly executed? That there's no chance a studio could just put some extra money in what would otherwise still be a decent dub, so they can get some top-tier LA(Or Vancouver) union actors, and do a truly top-tier dub?
(COUGH Death Note COUGH)

There's a reason the high-budget LA union actors are considered the best in the business, and that they get so much work in such a variety of things. The only thing that really stands in the way of them doing anime is the fact that ADR work doesn't pay anywhere near as well as pre-lay(Especially in anime), so a lot of actors end up just sticking to pre-lay work.
8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't like it when people act as if as non-union dubs are a bad thing. It's like they think they are a necessary evil and that non-union actors are inferior to union ones.

To be fair, a union LA dub would probably be a much better dub than the non-union Texas dubs Funimation gives us.

No offense to the performances of the Funi cast, but let's be real -- the true cream of the crop tend to end up in either LA of Vancouver, doing union work. If you want an absolute top-tier dub, union LA or Vancouver is the way to go. Peter Cullen, Rob Paulsen, etc. would all be welcome members of a Dragon Ball cast.

But, as others have suggested, if you want to continue this line of discussion, I suggest you move it to the "General Dubbing Debate" thread that was opened up in general for these kinds of discussions, so as to not clog up the Ocean Kai thread with things that aren't directly related to Ocean Kai.
You misunderstood! I didnt mean a dub with...say Scott McNeil and the like would be awful. I meant more dubs with other more "Mainstream" (And I use that word lightly) actors that people go crazy for like Tara Strong. For example the Bang Zoom dub has union actors yet its on the bad side. Sure its not "Mainstream" like I said. But Battle Of The Planets and Voltron do show mainstream actors arent all that great when it comes to dubbing.

Also dont you dare "COUGH Death Note COUGH" ME! I love it and I'm not afraid to show it. Karl Willems is a genius. (All of this bolded text is tongue in cheek fun. I didnt really get mad.)
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You misunderstood! I didnt mean a dub with...say Scott McNeil and the like would be awful. I meant more dubs with other more "Mainstream" (And I use that word lightly) actors that people jizz into their pants for Tara Strong. For example the Bang Zoom dub has union actors yet its on the bad side.
Again, we should move this out of this thread and into the dubbing debate thread.

But, why are Scott McNeil and co. any different to the LA guys? Both are highly talented pools of actors that any show would be lucky to have, the only difference is that the LA actors just generally don't do anime dubbing, likely mostly because of how poorly it pays.

BZ's dub is good. It has a lot of flaws, particularly in its initial castings, and occasionally in its direction, but it's a pretty good dub. If it was able to get AAA actors like Mark Hamill, Peter Cullen, or as you point out, Tara Strong(Seriously, there's a reason these people are big names who get so much work), then... Well, I imagine the performances would be better in some ways, but the direction is still somewhat lacklustre, and the casting is still not amazing, so... IDK.

Thing is, BZ Super is a low-budget dub. If they had the budget to afford these AAA actors, they'd probably be able to spend the time and money getting top-tier directors and getting the casting just right too. Not gonna happen with Dragon Ball now that Funi have conquered the US and Australia, and the places they haven't conquered are split between Ocean and Funimation.
But, any other show could get some top-tier LA talent in and hopefully put out a really awesome dub. It would just depend on the direction, scripting, etc.

Anyway, please do move over to the dubbing debate thread. If you keep it here, I can't really keep responding, because it's frustrating to everyone else reading this thread.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 02, 2018 5:54 am

Honestly, if Dragon Ball were to have an union LA dub today, I don't think they could even afford Peter Cullen to do a voice for the show considering that he only plays Optimus Prime nowadays.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 02, 2018 7:33 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Honestly, if Dragon Ball were to have an union LA dub today, I don't think they could even afford Peter Cullen to do a voice for the show considering that he only plays Optimus Prime nowadays.
Please stop going off topic.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 02, 2018 8:33 am

Honestly, unless this dub is using CLAC (Christian Labour Association of Canada) I think the time has passed for another Union Dragon Ball dub.

At best I could see James Marsters and Brian Drummond situations becoming more common where Sabat casts a Union actor under a pseudonym or an Ocean or other classic cast member getting a role in a future Funi dub (no idea how Drummond got away with his actual name being listed in the Super dub ending credits but I suppose stranger things have happened).

It will still be interesting to see whether this dub is or isn't a union dub when and if its released (and if we will be able to tell by then).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed May 02, 2018 6:31 pm

sangofe wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Honestly, if Dragon Ball were to have an union LA dub today, I don't think they could even afford Peter Cullen to do a voice for the show considering that he only plays Optimus Prime nowadays.
Please stop going off topic.
All right. Fine.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Honestly, unless this dub is using CLAC (Christian Labour Association of Canada) I think the time has passed for another Union Dragon Ball dub.

At best I could see James Marsters and Brian Drummond situations becoming more common where Sabat casts a Union actor under a pseudonym or an Ocean or other classic cast member getting a role in a future Funi dub (no idea how Drummond got away with his actual name being listed in the Super dub ending credits but I suppose stranger things have happened).

It will still be interesting to see whether this dub is or isn't a union dub when and if its released (and if we will be able to tell by then).
I'm pretty sure that this dub is union. The Vancouver actors work in an union.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It will still be interesting to see whether this dub is or isn't a union dub when and if its released (and if we will be able to tell by then).
It is definitely a union dub. Both the Vancouver Ocean and Calgary Blue Water studios are union operations. The common misconception is that Blue Water is non-union; I believe the truth is that either the union has lower pay requirements, or the actors generally accept lower pay, thus Blue Water's not-entirely-unfounded reputation as the low-budget studio.

But yes, both are union. I don't entirely know how unions work, but, given how frequently Blue Water and Ocean actors have tended to appear in each-other's dubs over the past few years(In fact, I'm pretty sure a few Blue Water actors were in Death Note), I imagine that this is something that was worked out years ago, and the Calgary and Vancouver crews working together on shows is long-accepted as the norm.
If Blue Water wasn't union, I don't think any of the Blue Water actors would be allowed to appear in Ocean Kai. Or if they did, they wouldn't be able to be credited, and I don't think the actors would be allowed to talk about it, put it on their resumés, etc.

But yes, make no mistake, this is definitely a union dub.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:It will still be interesting to see whether this dub is or isn't a union dub when and if its released (and if we will be able to tell by then).
It is definitely a union dub. Both the Vancouver Ocean and Calgary Blue Water studios are union operations. The common misconception is that Blue Water is non-union; I believe the truth is that either the union has lower pay requirements, or the actors generally accept lower pay, thus Blue Water's not-entirely-unfounded reputation as the low-budget studio.
I don't know how unions work myself, but it is worth noting Brian Drummond said in the Geekdom interview that the Blue Water dubs of Ball and GT were non-union. That is not to say its out of the realm of possibility Blue Water do union work. As TheBlackPaladin said if Blue Water use CLAC as their union it may be possible for them to get around any restrictions that may apply.
Robo4900 wrote:But yes, both are union. I don't entirely know how unions work, but, given how frequently Blue Water and Ocean actors have tended to appear in each-other's dubs over the past few years(In fact, I'm pretty sure a few Blue Water actors were in Death Note), I imagine that this is something that was worked out years ago, and the Calgary and Vancouver crews working together on shows is long-accepted as the norm.
That is interesting. I've never heard that, but if true it would make me wonder why Blue Water actors don't get a bit more credit considering Death Note's dub is so well regarded (and rightfully so I might add because it's utterly fantastic).

Getting back to the subject at hand though. If dubs that good use Blue Water as well the fact this dub has Blue Water actors may not be a detriment if the producers picked the best of the best for their particular roles and if they were directed well (I have confidence if its Karl Williams he'll knock it out of the park).