"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed May 16, 2018 6:17 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: Shimanuki is back on One Piece as an animation supervisor so I wouldn't expect him to be on the movie
Anyone else from DBS gone to OP?
Tu is now working on One Piece and there are a few key animators from Super that have gone back to One Piece, as they worked on it before, but they're no one like Nikaido
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed May 16, 2018 8:16 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Shida's cuts in Super/modern DB, EVEN 130 are still kinda "limited" by his standards. I still find the random cuts from him like this in other shows/movies to be more inventive, interesting, and polished than anything he's ever done on modern Dragon Ball. Hopefully we get to see 100% full blown Shida in this film.

And I didn't even really care for his cut in BoG, so hoping for something not like that.
You're telling me that he's even better than what we saw in DBS? Jesus, this man can't be human :o Maybe the tight schedule is what limited him a bit
His best work is probably his cuts for PreCure All-Star DX2: Kibou no Hkari: Rainbow Jewel o Mamore!

His scene for PreCure All-Stars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi is a close second.

Seeing that PreCure scene from All-Stars New Stage: Mirai no Tomodachi, its a little sad that Shida didn't get the opportunity to handle a big multi warrior team fight in the tournament of power. I think that could have been really cool.

Speaking of team battles, with this new adversary being a Saiyan, and the movie apparently being made with fan service(and action) in mind, would people like to see a team battle between the new Saiyan and the Earth warriors? I think a battle in the tone of the confrontation between Vegeta and Nappa in the Saiyan arc, combined with interesting (though inevitably ineffective) team attacks animated talents likes Shida and Takahashi, could lead to a really engaging spectacle. I think something like that would be really cool, as DBZ really didn't really fully explore team dynamics against a single opponent in its animation, with a few notable exceptions.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Another things I would like to see, would be the introduction of the new antagonist being an action sequence handled by Ryo Onishi. Maybe they could have him deliver the beatdown on someone like Freeza to set him up as a threat to our heroes. I say Freeza, because I'm a big fan of Onishi's beat down sequence in Episode of Bardock between Bardock and Chilled. His timing can be really aggressive and snappy when it needs to be, and he think he would be perfect in selling the sheer brutality and power of this new opponent.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

On a side note:
I'm slightly worried that we might not get exactly an all star staff list of animators, since there is a PreCure movie in production, and animators like Watanabe may be too heavily involved in the production of that movie to contribute anything substantial to the new DB film.

PS: Some Super staff also went to Kitaro(Supervisors Hakamada and Yoichi Onishi), or have shown up in shows like PreCure(Futoshi Higashide?).

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

JazzMazz wrote: On a side note:
I'm slightly worried that we might not get exactly an all star staff list of animators, since there is a PreCure movie in production, and animators like Watanabe may be too heavily involved in the production of that movie to contribute anything substantial to the new DB film.
I think there is this over-emphasis on this elusive "all-star sakuga cast" that needs to die down just a bit. Even without the all-star Sakuga cast, give us just some decent- to amazing animators with TIME to make something amazing. With the time they've had to produce this movie will easily do us well, that's also assuming the "all-star" they didn't get a bunch of time to do their shots.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: On a side note:
I think there is this over-emphasis on this elusive "all-star sakuga cast" that needs to die down just a bit. Even without the all-star Sakuga cast, give us just some decent- to amazing animators with TIME to make something amazing. With the time they've had to produce this movie will easily do us well, that's also assuming the "all-star" they didn't get a bunch of time to do their shots.
Completely agree. ResF had a great KA list but the final product did not reflect that in any way and so the opposite can happen here*, we don't need an all star list for this movie to be great, hell DB movies haven't exactly set a high bar (with the exception of Path to Power I guess) this is DB and should only be compared to DB not other series, that is a trap that I'm starting to see people fall into.

*Example when a few folks here were getting mad over #109/110 when the staff list etc was revealed yet were then blow away by the final product.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

In a Animage March 2015 interview translation uploaded by @Dogasu today, Iwane Masa'aki explains the important of simple character models.
Animage: I see. Let's go back to talking about the number of drawings. When we were doing a separate interview for Pokemon, OLM said that "The episodes that Mr. Iwane works on might look like they use more drawings than the others but that's not the case. But because his action cuts are big and flashy, it looks like they're moving more than they actually are." And I agree with that. You don't use any more drawings than any of the other episodes do. On top of that, when you're told to make an episode using x number of drawings, you stick to that limit very closely.

Iwane: Exactly. When I'm drawing I think of how I can make the movements seem bigger. I probably have some episodes that unfortunately went over budget because of my miscalculations but I try to stick to the limits as much as possible.

Animage: If you use a lot of drawings for the conversation and the gag scenes then you'll go over the allotted number of drawings for the episode and won't have enough left for the action scenes. So you only add to those non-action scenes when you have some drawings left over.

Iwane: That sounds about right. Because I personally don't want to use up all my drawings on simple conversations we have to end up having a lot of scenes where they just move their mouths and nothing else. Putting aside whether that's good or bad at the moment, I try to reserve my drawings for the really big moments in the episode.

Animage: And as you alluded to earlier, you're able to make those episodes very lively since you're the only one you have to worry about. If you have multiple people working on a single episode then you can't just tell one person that since the scene they're working on is just a simple conversation that all they're allowed to do is have the mouths open and close.

Iwane: (laughs) That's right. Every drawing that you don't use for a conversation scene can then be used for an action scene. Stop when you need to stop and move when you need to move...if you do it that way then your episode will have just as many drawings as all the others.

Animage: What is it like drawing the more simple pokemon, from an animator's perspective?

Iwane: The simple characters are easier to animate and you're therefore able to use more drawings per character. But pokemon with words like "Mega" or "Primal" in front of their names have a lot of lines and are therefore a lot more difficult to draw. The difference between producing ten drawings of Pikachu and producing ten drawings of Mega Rayquaza is night and day. From a purely drawing point of view there is that part of us that's happy when we're given the more simple characters to draw.

Animage: Shows where you can really enjoy watching the characters' movements is kind of limited in this day and age. Pokemon is one of the few modern shows where the audience can still do that and you're the one who's the best at it.

Iwane: Thank you very much. As you said, watching the way things move is what's so interesting about animation. And in animation the drawings are just one part of the incredibly complex machine that makes up the overall picture. That's why, when I think about the way things are now vs. the way they were back in my day, I think things are harder now. Let's look at robots, for example. I drew robots when I was working on the Brave series but that series generally didn't use any kind of shadowing or shading, you know? And even though these days the number of hand-drawn mechas have decreased the ones that are still being done look fantastic. I remember feeling amazed that they put in so much detail with the hand-drawn animation when I watched Gundam Build Fighters (2013).
You can read much more at the link up above. This interview doesn't connect with Dragon Ball directly but the knowledge certainly reflects the path that Shintani Naohiro seems to be taking the character designs now and I can't wait to see how this is put into practice.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 am

DRAGON BALL HEROES promotional anime coming on July 1st.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42050

How much could this take away from this movie production?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

Shintani's character designs are basically perfect. Wow!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

Ajay wrote:Shintani's character designs are basically perfect. Wow!

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I love these designs.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:DRAGON BALL HEROES promotional anime coming on July 1st.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42050

How much could this take away from this movie production?
I don't think it will take from the movie since it is a promotional anime and not be taking a timeslot at all.
Majinwarman

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

The designs are perfect. I'm ecstatic.

If people think that the initial promo art wasn't similar enough to the manga, I think this certainly will(though I do think its worth noting that these designs are still very soft).

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 am

Vegeta's new armor color looks way better than the blue one I got tired seeing of.

Also, no more obnoxious white highlights. Thank god.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:48 am

Khin wrote:Vegeta's new armor color looks way better than the blue one I got tired seeing of.

I do not think many people liked the highlights in the first place.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 am

Khin wrote:Vegeta's new armor color looks way better than the blue one I got tired seeing of.

Vegeta's outfit should now be prone to more aura colour changes too, like how his RF gi turned from grey to blue once we went SSGSS, something similar here too I'd imagine.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 am

Something I just noticed. A few months ago we got a Super Saiyan Goku design for the film.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
In this new scan, it's the same Goku design except they got rid of the highlights. The shading is also different. I would say that the colours are different too, but that might just be a problem with the scan.
Last edited by Super Saiyan Swagger on Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Vegeta's outfit should now be prone to more aura colour changes too, like how his RF gi turned from grey to blue once we went SSGSS, something similar here too I'd imagine.
I'm interested to see footage now these designs have been released.
Majinwarman

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 am

Just wanted to say just how much I love those designs. They are everything I always wanted Dragon Ball to look like. I’m so hyped right now, and the fact we will also get a Heroes anime is just the cherry on top of the cake.
It will be cool if Yamamuro’s designs stayed for Heroes, as well as all the fanservice while the true fans of Dragon Ball get a Toriyama written show with Shintani’s gorgeous designs.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

The folds in Gokuu's pants finally make sense again!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

Now I don't see how can anyone hate on these
They look perfect, just like Toriyama's old work
kill me

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 9:17 am

emperior wrote:Just wanted to say just how much I love those designs. They are everything I always wanted Dragon Ball to look like. I’m so hyped right now, and the fact we will also get a Heroes anime is just the cherry on top of the cake.
It will be cool if Yamamuro’s designs stayed for Heroes, as well as all the fanservice while the true fans of Dragon Ball get a Toriyama written show with Shintani’s gorgeous designs.
Has it been confirmed that Yamamuro is handling the new Dragon Ball Heroes anime?
Majinwarman

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Thu May 17, 2018 10:27 am

I was worried that Shintani wouldn't be able to give Vegeta a loose design since his design has been consistently very angular compared to the rest of the cast, but he completely blew past my expectations. Bravo :clap: :clap: