Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Heroes is getting an anime adaptation.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 am

I wouldn't expect much story, they're is gonna string a few episodes to lengthen a screening which implies the episodes themselves might actually be short, which makes sense since since it's pr so they'd wanna get to all the meaty stuff as soon as possible, not waiting 8 months for Goku vs Jiren like a full series like DBS did.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 am

Cetra wrote:Oh, Mr. Mignogna. Your chords are gonna be so sore.
Why would they dub a PR series for DBH if the actual product isn't outside of Japan?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:which implies the episodes themselves might actually be short
It doesn't imply that at all. Them mashing up three 20 minute long episodes makes for a hour long screening.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu May 17, 2018 7:11 am

Xeogran wrote:
Cetra wrote:Oh, Mr. Mignogna. Your chords are gonna be so sore.
Why would they dub a PR series for DBH if the actual product isn't outside of Japan?
Because it is highly beneficial for the franchise and increases the chances of interest of the Western market to demand for Heroes stuff like the main product that you have mentioned.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:29 am

Cetra wrote:
Because it is highly beneficial for the franchise and increases the chances of interest of the Western market to demand for Heroes stuff like the main product that you have mentioned.
Releasing Dragon Boxes would've been beneficial, dubbing all the specials since 2008, but here we are. Heroes has been around since 2010. In the age of internet, everyone is aware of it. Nothing happened in 8 years, so this particular promo definitely won't change anything.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 am

sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It's not something I'll be watching/following outside of Gokû gifs.
I don't mind watching it (or parts of it) but I most likely won't support it financially unless it just has the game's name in common which doesn't seem to be the case.
Sakuga clips I'll watch, gifs of Gokû or Vegeta I'll post, but that'll be the extent for me.

What I did with Super (screenshot gallery posts for each ep, gifs, weekly comics, posts about each month's writers, posts about upcoming episode info) won't apply to a weekly DBH series is what I mean. I won't be nearly as involved because the nature of the show isn't what I want from a db series.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 7:37 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Releasing Dragon Boxes would've been beneficial, dubbing all the specials since 2008, but here we are. Heroes has been around since 2010. In the age of internet, everyone is aware of it. Nothing happened in 8 years, so this particular promo definitely won't change anything.
Awkward thing is Banpresto release DBH merch overseas, so they know people know about DBH overseas but apparently the actual DBH people don't?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

2018 Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime Announced

Post by Cipher » Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 am

This is preliminary news, but per usual JUMP leaks courtesy of Yonkou Productions on Twitter, a promotional Dragon Ball Heroes anime has been announced for a July 1, 2018 premiere:
DBH's Universe Survival and Prison Planet arcs that will be made into an PR Anime. The first episode's pre-screening will take place on July 1 at Ion Lake Town. And although it's a PR Anime they'll mash a few episodes together in order to extend its length.
I wanted to snag first post on this inevitable 1,000-page thread to note that we are truly in hell.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 am

I get the Prison Planet adaptation, but how the fuck will Universal Survival work? That's mostly just an adaptation of an adaptation of an arc.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 am

This is unexpected to say the least. I don't really care about Dragon Ball Heroes so this doesn't really matter much to me. What I'm curious about is how this will affect Super and its inevitable return.

This is probably what Tadayoshi Yamamuro has been working on and it explains his absence on the new movie.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 17, 2018 8:07 am

So... An anime adaptation with Cooler, Trunks, and Fuu? I dig it. Sounds like it could be pretty fun.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 17, 2018 8:13 am

This is a mistake.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 am

So a spin-off essentially that isn't canon. Whatever, anything is better than nothing. The true sequel to DBS we all know is the movie coming out in Dec. 14th. The DB Online timeline was considered and canon and still is by many fans since it was written by Akira Toriyama. Later, Xenoverse adapted the events from it. The Demon arc, Mira, Towa, Fu, etc. were all characters that Toriyama created. Heroes, however, is weird since it has random things like SSJ4 Broly. Practically, any transformation, fusion, or what if scenario can happen in Heroes. It's fan service to the max.

I do believe that a new anime will be announced later in 2019. I also think that the manga will be ahead of the anime this time. One of the reasons for the break for the anime is not simply to create the movie but also allow Toyotaro to catch up and even speed past the Tournament of Power. He already said in his interview in Oct. 2016 that his manga will be ahead of the anime in the future:
What is your relationship with the Dragon Ball Super anime?

Toyotaro: At this point, I'm not very involved with it. I think going forward, I'll be more involved, but at this point in time, I actually receive more information from the anime team than I give to them. The anime is a little bit further along than I am, but in the near future I'll be ahead, so the information will be going back to them. Regardless, we'll continue to support one another as we go forward.
Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interv ... ou/.107579
Last edited by shadowfox87 on Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 am

Could someone tell me more about heroes? I know very little about it, is it just an excuse to throw every single villain into the mix? Can they make a plot out of it?

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 am

LightBing wrote:Could someone tell me more about heroes? I know very little about it, is it just an excuse to throw every single villain into the mix? Can they make a plot out of it?
You can start reading the story here: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Demon_Realm_Saga
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 17, 2018 8:21 am

LightBing wrote:Could someone tell me more about heroes? I know very little about it, is it just an excuse to throw every single villain into the mix? Can they make a plot out of it?
It is an excuse for fanservice and cool VS scenarios, but it does have a plot with some decent characters.

Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am

Not particularly excited either since I have no idea what the game is about and all I know is that it had every villain and transformation ever.

What I'm worried about is what this might mean for the animation department. Will they be completely separate team handling the series and another one working on the movie ?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 am

Okay, so I did some research on what the Prison Planet arc is and it's so over-the-top that it's actually kinda exciting. The one thing I've always found slightly charming about Heroes is how batshit crazy they go with character transformations, character designs, fusions etc. I hope to see some of that craziness in this upcoming anime. Just go absolutely nuts.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime Announced

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 17, 2018 8:33 am

Good God, didn't know TOEI were ready to even consider this yet :? , but hey Super was on a consistent roll of fan servicing.

Regardless, I'm sure this will be a good laugh to watch :lol:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
You can start reading the story here: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Demon_Realm_Saga
Quickly reading it, there's some parts which can be made into interesting plot while others are straight out: insert character x because fan-service. If they adapt it in a way that's not so crazy while bothering to develop the heroes and the new villains, it might be worthwhile as a wacky spin-off.

However I expect buffoonery on the level of the 2nd half of Black's arc and the ToP arc. Only thing I'm looking forward is to see if these new villains are enticing. If people ate up Super, they'll consume this as well. In my eyes the bar is just getting lower, assuming they continue the feels over matter/rehash over originality formula.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

So basically, it appears we are getting an anime, but it's going to most likely be just a special short thing made to promote Heroes even further, right? That could be neat I suppose, though definitely it's the kind of thing we'd never get over here.

That said, if it were a full series? I'd...I can't say I wouldn't be interested, but man would I be pissed if it entirely replaced Super or other stuff that actually furthered the plot. If it was a companion series of a sort though, a Fear the Walking Dead to Dragon Ball Super (or some equivalent's) main The Walking Dead if you will, then that I could maybe roll with.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)