Official "Super DB Heroes 2018 Promotional Anime" Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Heroes is getting an anime adaptation.

Post by Neon Z » Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am

LightBing wrote:Could someone tell me more about heroes? I know very little about it, is it just an excuse to throw every single villain into the mix? Can they make a plot out of it?
It's an arcade card game where you choose a set of battles and play through them with a team of your choice, based on your cards. Initially, it didn't have any actual story of its own at all, with the battle paths mimicking specific sagas from DB/Z/GT or themed gauntlets and little to no dialogue. Due to that, new transformations and characters had no context at all. Eventually though, it started doing original stories.The first one, IIRC, was just a variation of the Baby Saga with Hatchiyack thrown in. Sometime later, they started taking elements from DB Online, and basically took the Time Patrol vs Demon Realm story and made it the core of Heroes' story.

Initial stories were still heavily tied to that initial format of remaking past arcs though. After adapting some stuff from DB Online like the Masked Saiyan (Bardock), the next story was basically the Super 17 Saga more stuff. Dead villains break out of hell, but this time with help of Towa, Dabura and other demon realm villains, and Super 17 gets new forms where he absorbs other Androids like 18. They also had Piccolo Daimao arc with more stuff and such. Eventually though, they did start doing fully original stories focused on the demon realm war, (although they often still involve bringing back past villains, like how the "Dark Dragonballs" all are initially tied to a past villain and give them a new form). At the same time, with Super running, they also had Heroes' own versions of Super's various arcs, which follow Super's story in rough lines but leave space for more filler stuff, like how they made an entire arc out of recruiting Freeza, with a bunch of past anime villains attacking the party in hell. There were still a couple of battle lines unrelated to anything too, like one where Saiyan Saga Raditz, Vegeta and Nappa invade Earth as SSJ3s.

Even after it changed to original stories, the stories in Heroes are still fairly simple since you can use any kind of team. So, they can't expect specific characters to be around in the hero team and do special events for them. There's a navigator allied character, generally Trunks for the Time Patrol stuff, but they obviously can't take a big active role.

The story that is apparently getting adapted here is actually the first one involving the Super characters, with (Super) Trunks jailed in a mysterious prison planet and Goku from Super clashing with Xeno Goku from the time patrol.
Last edited by Neon Z on Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:41 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So basically, it appears we are getting an anime, but it's going to most likely be just a special short thing made to promote Heroes even further, right? That could be neat I suppose, though definitely it's the kind of thing we'd never get over here.

That said, if it were a full series? I'd...I can't say I wouldn't be interested, but man would I be pissed if it entirely replaced Super or other stuff that actually furthered the plot. If it was a companion series of a sort though, a Fear the Walking Dead to Dragon Ball Super (or some equivalent's) main The Walking Dead if you will, then that I could maybe roll with.
I think it will a little side project to keep the fans interested until the new movie comes out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 am

sintzu wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Its going to be a promotional anime according to govetaXV
There goes my excitement.
Meaning what, exactly?

majinwarman

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball Heroes Promotional Anime Announced

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Good God, didn't know TOEI were ready to even consider this yet :? , but hey Super was on a consistent roll of fan servicing.

Regardless, I'm sure this will be a good laugh to watch :lol:
I do not think that it is going to replace Dragon Ball Super or Kitaro's timeslot at all. Kitaro is still on air and still not complete. I think it's just a little show to keep the fans hyped until the movie comes out.
Majinwarman

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

Looked a but at the story of these arcs. Doesn't seem to be particularly intriguing at first glance. If they make it available worldwide, I'll give it a try.

Question is, where and when will they air it. Kitaro doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 am

sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Its going to be a promotional anime according to govetaXV
Meaning what, exactly?
That it is going to a few episodes and not a huge show like Dragon Ball Super.
Last edited by majinwarman on Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 am

Chuquita wrote:Well this is unfortunate. I don't have any interest in dbh beyond the game exclusive outfits.

Promotional anime...does this mean it's like an oav or will it air on tv; delaying Super's return?
I don't think it will delay Super's return since it can't air on TV and Kitaro is still on air.
Last edited by majinwarman on Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Majinwarman

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 am

Neon Z wrote:
LightBing wrote:Could someone tell me more about heroes? I know very little about it, is it just an excuse to throw every single villain into the mix? Can they make a plot out of it?
It's an arcade card game where you choose a set of battles and play through them with a team of your choice, based on your cards. Initially, it didn't have any actual story of its own at all, with the battle paths mimicking specific sagas from DB/Z/GT or themed gauntlets and little to no dialogue. Due to that, new transformations and characters had no context at all. Eventually though, it started doing original stories.The first one, IIRC, was just a variation of the Baby Saga with Hatchiyack thrown in. Sometime later, they started taking elements from DB Online, and basically took the Time Patrol vs Demon Realm story and made it the core of Heroes' story.

Initial stories were still heavily tied to that initial format of remaking past arcs though. After adapting some stuff from DB Online like the Masked Saiyan (Bardock), the next story was basically the Super 17 Saga more stuff. Dead villains break out of hell, but this time with help of Towa, Dabura and other demon realm villains, and Super 17 gets new forms where he absorbs other Androids like 18. They also had Piccolo Daimao arc with more stuff and such. Eventually though, they did start doing fully original stories focused on the demon realm war, (although they often still involve bringing back past villains, like how the "Dark Dragonballs" all are initially tied to a past villain and give them a new form). At the same time, with Super running, they also had Heroes' own versions of Super's various arcs, which follow Super's story in rough lines but leave space for more filler stuff, like how they made an entire arc out of recruiting Freeza, with a bunch of past anime villains attacking the party in hell. There were still a couple of battle lines unrelated to anything too, like one where Saiyan Saga Raditz, Vegeta and Nappa invade Earth as SSJ3s.

Even after it changed to original stories, the stories in Heroes are still fairly simple since you can use any kind of team. So, they can't expect specific characters to be around in the hero team and do special events for them. There's a navigator allied character, generally Trunks for the Time Patrol stuff, but they obviously can't take a big active role.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Very little in there for me to be excited about bar Demon Realm stuff, potentially.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 am

majinwarman wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Good God, didn't know TOEI were ready to even consider this yet :? , but hey Super was on a consistent roll of fan servicing.

I do not think that it is going to replace Dragon Ball Super or Kitaro's timeslot at all. Kitaro is still on air and still not complete. I think it's just a little show to keep the fans hyped until the movie comes out.
I know it won't take Kitaro or Super's timeslot, its just a miniseries (likely not meant to be taken seriously as far aa the main continuity is concerned) to promote the Heroes games but it just goes to show that nothing is out of the realm of possibility for the anime now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

I know it won't take Kitaro or Super's timeslot, its just a miniseries (likely not meant to be taken seriously as far aa the main continuity is concerned) to promote the Heroes games but it just goes to show that nothing is out of the realm of possibility for the anime now.
It come out to me as if you don't want anymore content until the new movie. I don't really care about Heroes myself but I will still watch if it's interesting.
Majinwarman

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

majinwarman wrote:
sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Meaning what, exactly?
That it is going to a few episodes and not a huge show like Dragon Ball Super.
Does that go without saying, though? Is that detail officially confirmed?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 17, 2018 10:09 am

sangofe wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Meaning what, exactly?
Meaning that I'm not going to care that much about some extended card commercial. I'm hoping that's not the case and they're just using the name and plots to cconnect it to the larger "canon" but we'll have to wait and see.
shadowfox87 wrote:I also think that the manga will be ahead of the anime this time. One of the reasons for the break for the anime is not simply to create the movie but also allow Toyotaro to catch up and even speed past the Tournament of Power.
I'm hoping the anime will be based off the manga when it comes back as Toriyama said the manga would continue and be ahead of the anime which will make that somewhat possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Good God, didn't know TOEI were ready to even consider this yet :?
It might be Toriyama who's not ready for Super to return as he may not have finished writing it so they need something to give him more time. Either way, as long as it's not the main product I don't think it'll do much hars as it seems like a buyer for time than anything else.
majinwarman wrote:It come out to me as if you don't want anymore content until the new movie.
It's not that fans don't want anything till the movie comes out, they just don't want a cards commercial, especially not one that'll become the main anime one day. As long as Toriyama's still writing I don't think that'll happen but once he's done... :sick:
Last edited by sintzu on Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

Well... this is something.

Heroes material being fleshed out into an anime has been speculated for years. And honestly, I'm shocked it took Toei and Bandai this long to pull the trigger on something like this.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:42 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Well... this is something.

Heroes material being fleshed out into an anime has been speculated for years. And honestly, I'm shocked it took Toei and Bandai this long to pull the trigger on something like this.
Tbh, I've been watching the opening forever. I'm wondering how long they plan on branching it out into. What arcs they plan on using? So many questions.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 am

Something like this should have been done years ago as Heroes have been hot in Japan since 2010. I just hope this doesn't get in the way of a possible continuation of Super. I also hope the show is, well, good.

Fingers crossed this is all pans out well.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

Maybe not now with this, but sooner or later they are gonna make DB turn into SS Omega

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I just hope this doesn't get in the way of a possible continuation of Super.
Heroes needs a main source for new material which is Super and Toriyama so I don't think we have to worry about that, at least not now. Super will be back once Kintaro is over sometime in 2019 as new content from Toriyama will always one up whatever promotion a heroes anime can do, both in japan and internationally.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Well... this is something.

This.
I really have thought for all these years this was inevitable and now at last it happens.
I expect them to really start producing other material that isn't solely the main story anymore.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am

Are we even sure this is going to be a series and not just a special of sorts? Seems more likely to me to just be a special, unless Kitarou winds up taking three months off for some odd reason.

I wonder if Yamamuro will storyboard, direct and be the animation supervisor again since he doesn't really have any other use at Toei Animation...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf