Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 17, 2018 11:55 am

Nafno wrote:The retellings do replace the movies. They were Toriyama's,
No, the retellings were made based directly on the movies, as you can see here. It seems Toriyama did provide some concepts, like the book you mentioned (and this is the only thing we know that came from him), but this does not mean the retellings replace the movies.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Is Vegeta's get up darker or is it just me? I won't get my hopes up but maybe just maybe Piccolo will get a decent role.
Well if the Namekian Book of legends connects to the movie then maybe, by extension, Piccolo will have a somewhat important role.
Now the only Dragon Ball thing until December I'm going to be thinking about as a Piccolo fan is a possible connection to the Namekian Book of Legends for Piccolo :lol:

Piccolo being here definitely does make me more hope than usual.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Is Vegeta's get up darker or is it just me? I won't get my hopes up but maybe just maybe Piccolo will get a decent role.
Well if the Namekian Book of legends connects to the movie then maybe, by extension, Piccolo will have a somewhat important role.
Now the only Dragon Ball thing until December I'm going to be thinking about as a Piccolo fan is a possible connection to the Namekian Book of Legends for Piccolo :lol:

Piccolo being here does me more hope than usual.
Piccolo deserves some love, he's been sidelined too many tiems recently between the U6 and ToP arc.
btw, you still rocking that ''Temporarily Banned'' there :D :D You're marked for life
Get Fucked, C_unt

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Vegeta looks way better in dark. That blue never did him any favors.

Let's all hype up Piccolo just to be disappointed. :lol:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Well if the Namekian Book of legends connects to the movie then maybe, by extension, Piccolo will have a somewhat important role.

Piccolo being here does me more hope than usual.
Piccolo deserves some love, he's been sidelined too many tiems recently between the U6 and ToP arc.
btw, you still rocking that ''Temporarily Banned'' there :D :D You're marked for life
The title can confuse some people so it has a little benefit I guess. :thumbup:

Piccolo will probably end up in basically a filler fight for the movie.
LightBing wrote:
I know no other way. :lol:

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Grimlock wrote:
No, the retellings were made based directly on the movies, as you can see here. It seems Toriyama did provide some concepts, like the book you mentioned (and this is the only thing we know that came from him), but this does not mean the retellings replace the movies.
They literally replace them. If not, Bills would have been vastly overpowered by Gokuh, since he needed to use the 70% of his strength to defeat SSGod Gokuh. And that's one of many examples of things that have happened after Fukkatsu no F that would not fit within the movies continuity. Those links only say that the arcs are based in the movies, which they obviously were. That has nothing to do with my point.

Your assumption would be correct if we had had U6 tournament, Trunks arc and ToP in both movie and TV format. But we haven't, so, if 2018 movie is taking place after the ToP, is going to take place after the only one we have: the series. Expecting Tarble in this movie is the same level as expecting Bojack. (Please, save a caption of this, just in case Tarble does appear in the movie and you can rub this all over my face :D ).

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu May 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Nafno wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
They literally replace them. If not, Bills would have been vastly overpowered by Gokuh, since he needed to use the 70% of his strength to defeat SSGod Gokuh. And that's one of many examples of things that have happened after Fukkatsu no F that would not fit within the movies continuity. Those links only say that the arcs are based in the movies, which they obviously were. That has nothing to do with my point.

Your assumption would be correct if we had had U6 tournament, Trunks arc and ToP in both movie and TV format. But we haven't, so, if 2018 movie is taking place after the ToP, is going to take place after the only one we have: the series. Expecting Tarble in this movie is the same level as expecting Bojack. (Please, save a caption of this, just in case Tarble does appear in the movie and you can rub this all over my face :D ).
Super and the movies are connected. Super did change stuff like Beerus’s strength but it’s basically the same.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

SirTorra wrote:I know it's unlikely but i hope they put less emphasis on the god forms. I like how they look as ss1. The style really reminds me of the older style. Ss2 and ss3 would look badass.
Ok buthoe eould it make sense to not use the god forms?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Grimlock wrote:Beerus and Whis will be in this movie, hopefully they don't appear that much. And when the hell is Piccolo going to get a new outfit?
We didn't get on GT, Movies, Super nor Heroes (where everybody gets a new outfit), so this means never and you should get over it already.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Hope we don't have a things like Yamoshi spirit giving Goku advices, this is too much Star Wars-ish for me.
You relate that to Star Wars despite that being exctually how Gohan beat Cell and Bojack?
The only thing that comes to mind for comparison is Luke escaping the ship due Ben advices after becoming a Force Ghost.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:30 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Beerus and Whis will be in this movie, hopefully they don't appear that much. And when the hell is Piccolo going to get a new outfit?
We didn't get on GT, Movies, Super nor Heroes (where everybody gets a new outfit), so this means never and you should get over it already.
miguelnuva1 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Hope we don't have a things like Yamoshi spirit giving Goku advices, this is too much Star Wars-ish for me.
You relate that to Star Wars despite that being exctually how Gohan beat Cell and Bojack?
The only thing that comes to mind for comparison is Luke escaping the ship due Ben advices after becoming a Force Ghost.
I thought the time when Ben told Luke to go to Yoda and seek training from him. Now back to Dragon Ball, I hope that Piccolo just gets some good moments nothing else.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Thu May 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Meshack wrote: Super and the movies are connected. Super did change stuff like Beerus’s strength but it’s basically the same.
If we accept the change in Beerus' strength, we accept the change of omitting Tarble. If we choose what we like and reject what we don't, the conversation has no sense.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:24 pm

LightBing wrote:Vegeta looks way better in dark. That blue never did him any favors.

In a movie about Saiyans it's pretty obvious what role he'll have. People just setting themselves up again.
Nafno wrote:
Meshack wrote: Super and the movies are connected. Super did change stuff like Beerus’s strength but it’s basically the same.
If we accept the change in Beerus' strength, we accept the change of omitting Tarble. If we choose what we like and reject what we don't, the conversation has no sense.
Agree. Everything under DBS should be treated as such. BoG and RF were under Z. DBS retellings and DBS movie under the same brand therefore you gotta treat them the same.
sintzu wrote:The new style is beginning to grow on me which could be due to Ssj looking so good in it. It's great to finally get something new, even if it's small. Vegeta's suit does look darker but that could just be the picture as it might be light blue in the movie.
Hopefully it is indeed that dark and hopefully with Vegeta's darker gi they make his gi change colour of the aura of what transformation he's in SS/SSGSS.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Nafno wrote:Those links only say that the arcs are based in the movies, which they obviously were.
And the fact that the retellings don't have Toriyama's finger other than the Namekuseijin book. Filler characters like Gregory appear, when he didn't back in Movie 14. Since there is no official source that says that I must consider the retellings "because the replaced the movies", one can pretty much stick with the movies just fine.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu May 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Nafno wrote:Those links only say that the arcs are based in the movies, which they obviously were.
And the fact that the retellings don't have Toriyama's finger other than the Namekuseijin book. Filler characters like Gregory appear, when he didn't back in Movie 14. Since there is no official source that says that I must consider the retellings "because the replaced the movies", one can pretty much stick with the movies just fine.
Yes Gregory appears in the animated version but that’s because he was present during Dragon Ball Kai. You can’t just remove characters. Since, Gregory didn’t appear in the comic and Movie 14, that means he’s not in the canon. He doesn’t appear in the Super comic. Does that mean the Super comic replaced the movies? The Super animated version cannot replace the comic, so what takes precedence? None does. It’s the same story but minor changes

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu May 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Huh...Not entirely sure how I feel about the adjusted style. While the face received a welcomed improvement from the teaser poster, the over sharpness that's reminiscent of the Freeza arc doesn't 'click' with me as much as the roundness similar to the Saiyan arc.
Feels over Reals.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 pm

I really like the darker color for Vegeta armor,it looks much better than the light blue one.
Mostly active on discord.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:30 pm

the fact that they are showing piccolo of all people this early shouldn't mean anything. He might get a decent role but I highly highly doubt it.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:34 pm

omaro34 wrote:

the fact that they are showing piccolo of all people this early shouldn't mean anything. He might get a decent role but I highly highly doubt it. I'm not gonna set myself up again just to be disappointed.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu May 17, 2018 5:35 pm

Certainly, this movie is about Saiyans. Showing Piccolo now (or much later) means nothing. Even if it weren't about Saiyans, Piccolo will never get his moment to shine outside of that one in Universe 6 saga in Xenoverse 2.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm

interesting designs