Could Yamcha have been a good candidate to learn the Genkidama?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Could Yamcha have been a good candidate to learn the Genkidama?

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sun May 20, 2018 1:07 pm

Not only did Yamcha train on Kaio Samas planet, he also already had an technique that was kind of similar to the Genkidama: his Sokidan attack, which is also a charged up energyball but with the difference that it can still be controlled after being thrown. Therefore it shoulden´t be very hard for Yamcha to learn that technique. So what if Yamcha not only learned the Genkidama from Kaio but also combined it with his Sokidan technique to create a "Genkisokidama" (or Spirit Ball Bomb in funimation terms) which would be a Gekidama with the fully controllable properties of the Sokidan which would also be way more Powerful than a normal Sokidan. So, how usefull could Yamcha with this Genkisokidama be? For example, when Son Goku fights against the big bad, Yamcha on the sidelines could then charge up a Genkidama powerfull enough to heavely damage the enemy, and with the Sokidan controlls it would be way easier to hit said enemy. Even if said enemy could still dodge that energyball, one of the other pure hearted fighters could still kick the ball back at him, dealing a ton of damage in the process. What do you guys think.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Could Yamcha have been a good candidate to learn the Genkidama?

Post by theherodjl » Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm

Yamcha could learn it, but he himself, doesn't have enough power or sheer talent to back up such a technique. He's always been more of a basic bare-knuckle-fighter than a heavy user of Ki techniques. I honestly believe that Krillin would be a better candidate at learning the Genki Dama than Yamcha.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Yamcha created a ki technique just like Krillin did, used the Kamehameha earlier than Krillin did (by mere chapters), and has been called a prodigy by Kami, so it appears your perception of the character is overruling facts in this case. There is no evidence that Yamcha is a "bare-knuckle" fighter more so than using ki techniques.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 20, 2018 3:50 pm

At smaller sizes, sure.

But once it gets to enormous "villain defeating" levels, the Genkidama's sheer size and power would likely be too much for Yamcha to effectively control like his Spirit Ball, at least not without some immense training and refinement of the technique.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun May 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote:Yamcha created a ki technique just like Krillin did, used the Kamehameha earlier than Krillin did (by mere chapters), and has been called a prodigy by Kami, so it appears your perception of the character is overruling facts in this case. There is no evidence that Yamcha is a "bare-knuckle" fighter more so than using ki techniques.
In how many of Yamcha's fights did he ever show off he same proficiency of Ki techniques as Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan, Tenshinhan, or even Krillin??? How many Ki attacks has he used outside of the generic blast, kamehameha(which everyone & their mom can learn), or his little spirit ball attack? Very little. How many times did he primarily use hand-to-hand combat to try & best his opponents the old-fashioned way? Most of them. Maybe its not my perception of his character that is the problem here?
Yamcha hardly even had any power in his kamehameha anyways; it failed against Tenshinhan then against the Saibamen. What 'facts' are being overridden here?

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue May 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Quite a few, considering that:

A) Yamcha`s Kamehameha fails against Tenshinhan because of Kiai whereas Krillin`s Kamehameha was outright too weak to hit Chiatzu off the ring, let alone knock him out.

B) His Kamehameha was actually billed as powerful and scary in the interlude between the first chapter (of the fight) and the beginning of the following. The blast was redirected and had the audience running in fear and it blew throught a wall and the building behind it.

C) Roshi was outright shocked Yamcha had mastered Kamehameha whereas while equally shocked at Kuririn`s attempt, he especifically states that his blast wasn`t mastered and was thus weaker.

(we should mention here that Kuririn already had close to a decade of training under Roshi and Yamcha only had three years so at this point he made the obvious big jump)

D) His attack on the Saibaman does briefly knock him out. Now, it didn`t kill him but we have no way to know for sure how much power Yamcha put behind it. Common sense can dictate that after the first Saibaman tried to get the jump on Tenshinhan from behind that the Tournament rules that were being used would be out of the table but Vegeta does blow up the first one, so it`s anyone guess. It`s only after he lets the Saibaman actually kill Yamcha that everything goes to hell and escalates from there.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

I've thought about this a lot over the years.

I've always felt that Yamcha perhaps doesn't get the credit for how much of a "ki technique pioneer" he appeared to be early on. Obviously he was able to use a variant of Kamehameha pretty early on, but forgetting that, I remember the first time I saw Sokidan I was impressed. It was completely unique at that point and I thought it showed some pretty masterful ki control. I recall Kami was impressed as well.

That being said, I don't feel that any of this in any way translates to Yamcha being able to use the Genkidama.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 am

TheZFighter wrote:I've thought about this a lot over the years.

I've always felt that Yamcha perhaps doesn't get the credit for how much of a "ki technique pioneer" he appeared to be early on. Obviously he was able to use a variant of Kamehameha pretty early on, but forgetting that, I remember the first time I saw Sokidan I was impressed. It was completely unique at that point and I thought it showed some pretty masterful ki control. I recall Kami was impressed as well.

That being said, I don't feel that any of this in any way translates to Yamcha being able to use the Genkidama.
That's pretty much my view on it. Yamcha can use Ki techniques, and show the world that he's not completely useless. However, he doesn't try as hard as the rest of the Z Senshi to be the best fighter he can be. What with aliens, machines, & hybrids that have much greater power & abilities than him. He just can't compete with all the challenges & threats that keep popping up; he might have skills for an earthling, but he just doesn't have the endurance or desire to stay relevant.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:42 pm

The only concern is if Yamcha is pure enough to wield it. I definitely don't see pre-Android arc Yamcha being able to use it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 pm

lol, like the planet would even give HIM any energy. Kaioken however...
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 am

All 4 humans and Piccolo would be great for Kaioken and genki dama. But Toriyama doesn't give a shit about them.

Anyone saying otherwise is just being a human hater saiyan fanwanker honestly.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:26 am

TobyS wrote:All 4 humans and Piccolo would be great for Kaioken and genki dama. But Toriyama doesn't give a shit about them.

Eww, no. Tenshinhan and Piccolo are boring. Yamcha only has one good fight left in him as it is and that's only because it would be incredibly gap moe for him to have a cool fight. Their time is in the past, time to move on to more Gokuu, Vegeta, Freeza, Jiren, Caulifla, Kale, #17, #18 and Kuririn.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:14 am

TobyS wrote:All 4 humans and Piccolo would be great for Kaioken and genki dama. But Toriyama doesn't give a shit about them.

That is so incredibly wrong. It's incredibly bad form to end any argument with 'and if you disagree with me, you're [insert string of insults here]'.

Especially if you're going to make such a hyperbolic statement as 'Toriyama doesn't give a shit about them' because he didn't use them the way YOU wanted.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 pm

I don't know about crossing the Genkidama with the Sokidan, but that's good fodder for fanfics. However, if the Genkidama could be combined with another way of manipulating ki I would think Goku would have done it by now.

Really though, the Genkidama is OP in its own right, since you only need to be pure of heart(?), and have a big enough source of energy to use it. It doesn't depend on the power of the user, except for when the enemy is able to stop the ball in its tracks and a little extra is needed (such as against Buu), but creating the ball itself and launching it needs no power. Literally, Kid Goku from the beginning of the series could have made the Genkidama that hurt Frieza had he known the technique. One way to give the lesser characters a little love in a new movie would be to have them finish off a villain by building this attack while Goku fights the enemy and keeps them busy. The real problem is that one of the criteria is the purity thing, but perhaps you can "train" for that over time by meditating and banishing negative thoughts. Even Cell claimed he could do it.