"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm

LightBing wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:You know, it was one thing for Vegeta to call himself the "number #1 Saiyan" in the anime not too long after Goku achieving Ultra Instinct, but calling himself the strongest being in all of existence reaches far beyond arrogance and goes straight to acting moronic. Vegeta in the anime, may have acted cocky, arrogant and prideful, but it never reached that extreme.
You realize your argument is "my shit smells bad but your's smells worse"? Hope you can get worthwhile discussion out of it but take it to the manga vs anime thread, please.
Hahahahaha
Well vegeta proudness is always being show that way , it’s not a surprise . That’s his way to think and helps him to keep on training and fighting, no matter if he acknowledges that there’s somebody stronger , he believes he’s got the potential to be the strongest. In fact , the alternative ending of dragon ball that Toriyama made 10years later points that clearly
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote: As for now.
Still doesn’t negate my point, especially your claim ‘only U7 did anything in the anime’. What’s funny is that Jiren is more active that Anime Jiren and he only eliminated one person.
Jiren being more active makes him look bad in the manga as he has been fighting for 15 minutes and only beat 1 fighter.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
"Toyotaro will treat Piccolo better"
Piccolo is eliminated before having any cool moment and interact with U6 Namekians. This is namekiansaiyan favourite chapter.
Sarcastic comment? :think:

Piccolo was always going to do worse than the anime. All eliminated Universe 7 members have done worse than the anime.
Jiren didn't just eliminate one fighter, he eliminated Hit. Beside this, the tournament isn't about eliminations. Jiren has established his superiority over Goku as a fighter, and not a single member of his universe has been eliminated. That doesn't make him look bad.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm

TheDipDap1234 wrote:Her fight with Ribrianne was one of the best animated and character driven fights of the whole tournament, but sure let's say it was weak for whatever reason. Her other fights were team-ups. She teamed up with Krillin to eliminate Shosa, and teamed up with 17 to eliminate Viara, both of which were cool. All of her other fights either weren't seen (Sorrel) or were mostly comedic and not serious (Cocotte and Tupper). She also never lost to a blind racoon.

I'm mad 18 got eliminated because it felt like she had no purpose in this arc. Zero interactions with 17 or Goku, 0 teamups, 0 anything. What was even the point of bringing her back if all she will do is eliminate 2 random fodders?
Don't forget 18 is fodder as well, the purpose was space filler. Her fight against Ribrianne can't be really called a fight. It had no good quality choreography, she needed rescuing in some of the team battles and her character was driven by "fighting for family" cliches. Nothing to write home about to mom. Quite frankly she was portrayed equally in both mediums.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon May 21, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You know, it was one thing for Vegeta to call himself the "number #1 Saiyan" in the anime not too long after Goku achieving Ultra Instinct, but calling himself the strongest being in all of existence reaches far beyond arrogance and goes straight to acting moronic. Vegeta in the anime, may have acted cocky, arrogant and prideful, but it never reached that extreme.
Vegeta straight up told Jiren that he would defeat him and then called him self the strongest to Jiren a number of times in the anime as well. That means he is saying he is the greatest in all the universes.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm hoping that the fights improve in the second half of this tournament because so far I've found most of them to be pretty lacklustre and forgettable.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 pm

You guys bitch and complain every month about vegeta being extremely arrogant. Its not gonna change just like goku's never gonna stop being a waku waku idiot, beerus will always be lazy and freeza will always be evil. If you are surprised by this then its your own fault

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 21, 2018 9:28 pm

Only way the db fandom would have been happy with this arc. Nobody from u7 gets eliminated, all 70 eliminations are by u7 and they are split equally (7 apiece) to each u7 team member.

"muh moment"

"muh character respect"

Most of you guys don't want a battle royale, you want a u7 circlejerk

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Mon May 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Review as I read the Manga
(-) I think it was rather immature of Vegeta to attack Toppo in Completed SSB. I hope Toyotaro makes Vegeta regret this later on in the tournament. I'm extremely annoyed at how Goku's been turning Completed on and off like a switch similar to the anime. The transformation is meant to be used as a last resort, but it's not presented that way here. Vegeta literally uses it as a d!#$ measuring contest to prove to Toppo he's stronger than Goku. It's making me question Toyotaro's consistency that we all praise the manga for at the moment. It's a minor nitpick, I can let it slide.

(-) The fight between Vegeta and Toppo was indeed boring. I'm getting tired of these wasted panels on unnecessary action sequences like the dreaded and unneeded wind ups I complained about last chapter. He does this slow wind up for the kick twice during the battle. It's like we're watching reused animation in the anime. I'm also confused as to why Toppo is doing better against a CSSB Vegeta, but Toppo was sure that he'd lose against Goku in the Zen Exhibition with just Blue. I'm very confused by this.

(+) I commend the transition from Vegeta to A17 by using the cast on the bleachers like someone in this thread mentioned earlier. A very nice touch and it's much better use compared to them stating the obvious in the anime.

(+) Finally some creativity with the fights! A17 using Botamo as a punch ball is hilarious! Even the method of eliminating him made me chuckle. It's a bit confusing as to how that happened, but I can ignore this as well. The scene with Piccolo nonchalantly eliminating the U10 Fighter Jilcol was pretty badass of him. The U10 Fighters Jium and Napapa we're just as creative. I also enjoyed the team dynamic between Piccolo, A17 and Gohan.

(-) I'm annoyed that 17 was the one to eliminate all 3. They all should have been separate. The scene was rather cliche where all the bad guys are thrown to one spot and taken out all at once.

(+) Ribrianne's entrance was a bit awkward, but Toyotaro did fairly well with her character honestly. I nearly spit out my water after reading Helles call Ribrianne's planet an exception. A very different take on the anime's portrayal of Ribrianne. I find it much funnier as well, even though it was very brief.

(-) Ribrianne's attacks were very generic ki blast attacks, but they did have some interesting names. Her stay was very short lived. She lasts only a couple pages and is then immediately tossed. She was used solely for a gag and nothing else. Very dissapointing compared to the anime's great portrayal of the Kamikaze Fireballs.

(+) Gamisaras' intervention was much appreciable here and less awkward. It didn't make sense for the anime to wait so long to establish these fighters. The same goes for Damon defeating Piccolo.

This chapter was fun overall but I have quite a number of gripes found all over the place in this chapter.
(-) Gamisaras interruption felt a bit out of place. It should have been hinted earlier in the chapter, maybe during the fight with U7 and U10.
(-) I'm annoyed by A17's characterization in the manga. He is apparently a no-nonsense guy all of a sudden after his snarky and immature personality he presented in the Cell arc. I enjoyed his portayal in the anime far more due to how playful he was with his opponents, especially with the U2 warriors. Piccolo is the one character should present the no-nonsense mentality, yet he panics at the thought of erasing another person's universe in Chapter 34.
(-) The repetition of attacks is very annoying. Piccolo uses the same attack twice in this chapter. Same goes 17 with the finger beam. And both A17 and A18 use the same blast attack. These fights lack such creativity.
(-) The interruption between Goku and Jiren did feel forced like someone else had mentioned. It felt very unusual for them to just suddenly stop fighting just because someone was pushed between them.
(-) This chapter clearly tried to include so many fights at once, that it sort of becomes a mess. I haven't felt that any of the chapters were disorganized, but this one is a victim of amateur story boarding.

I'm baffled as to why people believe this chapter is significantly better than 35. I think they're both on the same level and that Toyotaro has only been making the arc a bit boring each chapter after Chapter 33, one of the greatest chapters of the manga imo.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Why would Vegeta regret using perfected blue vs Toppo? He can’t beat him with a lesser form so attempting to fight would just result in a beatdown and unlike Goku , Vegeta hadn’t slacked off training wise so he should be able to handle the power just as well if not better than Goku who despite being “rusty” seems to have zero issues with a form that was messing up vs m zamasu

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Mon May 21, 2018 9:46 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Only way the db fandom would have been happy with this arc. Nobody from u7 gets eliminated, all 70 eliminations are by u7 and they are split equally (7 apiece) to each u7 team member.

"muh moment"

"muh character respect"

Holy shit is this the goddamn truth.

"My favorite character didn't get enough attention this arc! The manga sucks!!"

People complain U7 is the only one being focused on and getting the most eliminations, yet they keep crying for characters like 18, Krillin, and Tenshinhan to get some eliminations before their own elimination.

I swear it's like most of the fans don't even know what they want.
ToshioWrites wrote:Why would Vegeta regret using perfected blue vs Toppo? He can’t beat him with a lesser form so attempting to fight would just result in a beatdown and unlike Goku , Vegeta hadn’t slacked off training wise so he should be able to handle the power just as well if not better than Goku who despite being “rusty” seems to have zero issues with a form that was messing up vs m zamasu
Mostly for the stamina drain it takes. He might be weaker when fighting against Jiren if he does later on.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 pm

When 17, Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, Piccolo, etc take out weak ass fighters, nobody cares but if frost takes out 2 weakling from u7 , all of a sudden toyo is hack. Toriyama hasn't given Krillin or Tien any moments since Z but they are entitled to one here for some reason. Also Tori checks off and corrects the manga so if he gave a shit about any of them, he would have told toyo to change it

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Only part I actually liked was Ribrianne calling Krillin "handsome". Otherwise, caring less and less for the manga.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 pm

So far I liked this chapter, it was fun. Personally I don't mind if any of the U7 characters get an elimination, I just want to see some development. That's why I was little annoyed Tien and Krillin got eliminated with out getting some kind of shine. Like Hit, I didn't mind his only fight was with Jiren. Despite losing, he had great development and was nice show of comradery with Goku.

I do hope there is a fight between Roshi and Cassarole. That would seem to be an entertaining fight to me. Two old vetrens, dualing it out with their different ideaology.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon May 21, 2018 11:09 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Only way the db fandom would have been happy with this arc. Nobody from u7 gets eliminated, all 70 eliminations are by u7 and they are split equally (7 apiece) to each u7 team member.

"muh moment"

"muh character respect"

ToshioWrites wrote:When 17, Vegeta, Freeza, Gohan, Piccolo, etc take out weak ass fighters, nobody cares but if frost takes out 2 weakling from u7 , all of a sudden toyo is hack. Toriyama hasn't given Krillin or Tien any moments since Z but they are entitled to one here for some reason. Also Tori checks off and corrects the manga so if he gave a shit about any of them, he would have told toyo to change it
:lol:
Truth.

When will people learn, if you aren't Goku, in Dragonball you aren't safe. Even Goku's safety belt isn't always secure.
Last edited by Miracles on Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am

In an arc full of great chapters, I was surprised that this one was one of my favorites.

Vegeta vs Toppo:

I've seen people describe this as character regression from Vegeta's "You're number 1, Kakarot!" moment. I suppose it is, but it's justifiable, and totally in line with Vegeta's role in Super. With the introduction of god ki, Vegeta was able to bridge that insurmountable gap between Goku and himself. Where before he was humbled and accepted his role, the chance to actually become the strongest in all universes is once again within his grasp. Let's not forget that Vegeta said he'd never fight again until he had an opportunity to match Goku. His determination to overpower Toppo with continuous, predictable kicks was a really cool moment.

No. 17 vs Botamo:

While nobody in-universe has explicitly said anything about it yet, it's clear that No. 17's unlimited stamina is really doing wonders for him in his tournament. As opposed to Frost who was exhausted after going all-out for a couple of minutes, No. 17 is able to fight continuously without such a concern. I wasn't much of a fan of No. 17 in the original run of Dragon Ball, and I really hated the idea of his return in GT, but he's just so cool here. Non-nonchalant, but quick and merciless. I really enjoyed how Botamo was eliminated. Having No. 17 blast the three Universe 10 fighters off at once was another smart way to conserve everyone else's stamina.

No. 18 vs Ribrianne:

I was not a fan of the Magical Girl gag from the anime to begin with, and I feel like Ribriane really overstayed here welcome in that version. Here, I thought she was a really fun character. All of the gags landed for me, and I was pretty impressed by how well Toyotaro seems to have gotten a handle on Toriyama's comedic tone. He really nails it in the expressions. I love sexy Kuririn, and Beerus thinking Ribrianne is "kind of cute" is almost as good. Every time those characters interact, I get a huge kick out of it. Something about the way No. 18 was portrayed in the anime really rubbed me the wrong way, but she feels more authentic here. Maybe it's because she's so much less preachy.

No. 18's elimination pose was a great homage to the time she broke Vegeta's arm.

Invisible Warrior and Small Warrior

The way Gamisaras comes out of nowhere and starts eliminating people left-and-right is really effective. It catches the reader off guard just as much as the fighters. Once Piccolo defeats Gamisaras, but immediately senses another warrior, it's totally reasonable that he wouldn't be able to figure out the situation in time, regardless of his enhanced hearing. I really wasn't expecting to see him out so early, and I'm really interested in seeing what happens with the Universe 6 Namekians now. No. 17's bio-modifications logically extend to his sight and hearing, so his ability to take down Damon works well. The fact that Jiren gets nervous around such a potentially powerful gimmick helps humanize him a lot.

I also really like that Toyotaro isn't afraid to change up the character designs in this tournament when appropriate for the plot. I'm talking about No. 17 brushing his hair behind his ears & or Hit taking his kilt off. These things look kind of odd, but they help ground the situation and make these characters feel like more than plastic dolls.

I really don't have any major complaints for this chapter. I'm so impressed with how well so many plot points were balanced. The comedy was great, the battles were chaotic, and things are moving along at an exciting pace. I thought it was kind of silly how No. 17 has apparently gotten so strong simply by protecting his island, but the artificial humans are such strange beings that it's easy enough to laugh it off.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:51 am

Miracles wrote:
TheDipDap1234 wrote:Her fight with Ribrianne was one of the best animated and character driven fights of the whole tournament, but sure let's say it was weak for whatever reason. Her other fights were team-ups. She teamed up with Krillin to eliminate Shosa, and teamed up with 17 to eliminate Viara, both of which were cool. All of her other fights either weren't seen (Sorrel) or were mostly comedic and not serious (Cocotte and Tupper). She also never lost to a blind racoon.

I'm mad 18 got eliminated because it felt like she had no purpose in this arc. Zero interactions with 17 or Goku, 0 teamups, 0 anything. What was even the point of bringing her back if all she will do is eliminate 2 random fodders?
Don't forget 18 is fodder as well, the purpose was space filler. Her fight against Ribrianne can't be really called a fight. It had no good quality choreography, she needed rescuing in some of the team battles and her character was driven by "fighting for family" cliches. Nothing to write home about to mom. Quite frankly she was portrayed equally in both mediums.
Just because 18 is not on Jiren's or Goku's level doesn't mean she should get a treatment like she got. If Frost can get a good treatment, why can't her? Maybe you should rewatch the fight. It was animated by one of the best animators from Toei and it looked amazing. Everyone needed to be rescued at least once in the anime. In the anime she was at least fighting for something. She did absolutely nothing in the manga. How can you think they were portrayed equally in both mediums is beyond me.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 am

TheDipDap1234 wrote:
Miracles wrote:

Just because 18 is not on Jiren's or Goku's level doesn't mean she should get a treatment like she got. If Frost can get a good treatment, why can't her? Maybe you should rewatch the fight. It was animated by one of the best animators from Toei and it looked amazing. Everyone needed to be rescued at least once in the anime. In the anime she was at least fighting for something. She did absolutely nothing in the manga. How can you think they were portrayed equally in both mediums is beyond me.
Yeah 18 got the short end of the stick in the manga, but all that Krillin, 18, Universe 2 stuff worked great on the page, really made me laugh.

I'm upset that Piccolo yet again couldn't hear this bug, the guy with the big ears and proven super hearing. I love the idea that they are so focused on sensing ki that it distracts them from their other senses (which is great irony from way back when Goku was learning to train with Popo), but it would have worked with anyone BUT Piccolo.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue May 22, 2018 2:14 am

Bergamo wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Still doesn’t negate my point, especially your claim ‘only U7 did anything in the anime’. What’s funny is that Jiren is more active that Anime Jiren and he only eliminated one person.
Jiren being more active makes him look bad in the manga as he has been fighting for 15 minutes and only beat 1 fighter.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
"Toyotaro will treat Piccolo better"
Piccolo is eliminated before having any cool moment and interact with U6 Namekians. This is namekiansaiyan favourite chapter.

Piccolo was always going to do worse than the anime. All eliminated Universe 7 members have done worse than the anime.
Jiren didn't just eliminate one fighter, he eliminated Hit. Beside this, the tournament isn't about eliminations. Jiren has established his superiority over Goku as a fighter, and not a single member of his universe has been eliminated. That doesn't make him look bad.
Jiren can beat anyone in 1 punch so him running around for 15 minutes and fighting doesn't make him look good when he has only 1 elimination. In the anime he just stood there or was meditiating as he wasn't needed that makes him more of a threat and isn't wasting energy.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

TheDipDap1234 wrote:If Frost can get a good treatment, why can't her?
Is "a good treatment" based solely on how many pointless, faceless, nameless, worthless characters someone eliminates?

That's an extremely narrow view of how narratives work.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Jiren can beat anyone in 1 punch so him running around for 15 minutes and fighting doesn't make him look good when he has only 1 elimination. In the anime he just stood there or was meditiating as he wasn't needed that makes him more of a threat and isn't wasting energy.
Jiren said that he didn't want to be responsible for other universe's erasure, so of course his focus will be more on defense than on offense.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations