What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Omniboy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am

JazzMazz wrote: I apologize. I wasn't trying to come off as snarky.
That's fine. It's really my fault for assuming that you were being snarky. I guess I misinterpreted the comment... again.
Personally, I'm of the sort that thinks Jiren really hasn't done anything to suggest he is a team player. Yes, he fights people from other universes, but he doesn't really work with anyone from his own universe, hell, even when offered to be helped by Toppo and Dyspo against Hit and Jiren, he adamantly refused. I feel this aspect of him still very much defines him as a loner.
I guess in the sense that he is somewhat of a loner, he's not a team player, but he is actively going around the ring in search of fighters to eliminate. Which is in fact actively helping his team win. In the anime he just sat there and meditated while his team did most of the work. And even when he targets other fighters, he most of the time failed to eliminate them so for some reason even though he has all the power in the world to do so, even when he catches them off guard, to the point where I question is he even trying to help. In the manga it's obvious that he is trying to eliminate Goku, but had to leave because of some invisible foe. He didn't deliver some half-assed blow that failed to eliminate the most dangerous fighter he came across. He left the fight out of Dyspo's advice.

EDIT: Aparrently I can edit my comment now.

But just to clarify my point, in the manga there actually seems to be an attempt from Jiren in eliminating people, where as in the anime, he seems to be going in weird direction where they can't decide what his motivation is and what he wants to do.
Last edited by Omniboy on Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Omniboy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:42 am

Half-added blast
My hate for mobile is unrelenting, made worse by the fact that I can't edit my comment.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 23, 2018 6:36 am

The manga so far is more consistant, doesn't waste time on characters like Rebrianne, doesn't force Goku into everything and has far better pacing than the anime did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Just like the anime the manga started off great but quickly became disappointing this time for different reasons. Even more so than the anime due I wish we could have just skipped right to the U7 vs U11 fight. I'm hoping that it improves in the second half as so far I've been very underwhelmed with this version of the tournament.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did with the anime, the pace seems rushed to me, they are eliminating everybody as soon as possible like in a hurry, to get rid of all the fodder, apparently to go straight to the big fights (which isn't necessarily a bad thing IF the big fights outshine the anime's or the manga itself), with little to no humour, Ribrianne was just two or three strips and that's it, Krilin was treated harshly. A few interesting clashes (Hit vs Dyspo) from the anime aren't in the manga, and the most interesting fight did not satisfy me in any way.

So far, I was hoping for more, but the best part of the ToP is still to come, so...

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 pm

So far I like how the manga is doing , Jiren doesn’t seem that extreme unbeatable guy who destroys Goku several times and therefore Gokū revives the next minute ( inconsistencies) . That overpowered Jiren was cool but made me think that u7 victory was impossible or too fantasy , but I really loved how they did the last two chapters though.
Pre-tournament battle of destruction gods in the manga was absolutely nicer I.m.o.
Mangas Pace is better , but that is just natural considering the differences in this two mediums
Because I felt that the anime was too long , I like more this fast eliminations in the manga .i don’t need all the u7 warriors to have a chapter for themselves , and at the same time it doesn’t feel like a u7 against all the rest that much .
So far non u7 fighters made almost the same number of eliminations than in the whole anime t.o.p , and there’s still thirty-something remaining.
Freeza , hit , Ribrianne .. were handled better for my taste , and freeza is still there
Honestly I don’t want manga pace to slow down too much and get soon to the final minutes , where the manga has a really difficult task to at least equal what the anime gave us
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47 am

Not a fan, really. I don't mind him underusing the characters (like my boy Tien) or the poor choreography in some of the fights: it's a different take on the story and I like we have two versions of the story, more to watch and all.
My main issue is that Toyo's terrible in his presentation. I posted a more fleshed out example in the manga thread so I'll just do one example: in the anime Goku vs Jiren's first fight was hyped through the roof, and the fight itself had a feeling of importance. In the manga it's more like "oh, I guess they're fighting now. Goku's losing, huh."

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:51 am

I feel like Anime's take on the tournament of power is world's better than that of the manga.
Fights were more exciting, as were the sequence of events.

One thing i wish Toyo would fix is the scale of the arena. If you were to look closely at some panels, it seems that the TOP arena is far smaller than it should be.
"Oh dear...."

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am

This was a great arc in the anime. I enjoyed almost every episode of it. There were a few weaker episodes, like the one with U4 when Piccolo got eliminated.
There are a few things, like Jiren's design, that i like more in the manga. The animation quality from the one-hour-special onwards was from such a level, it''ll be difficult for the manga to top the level of entertainment it gave. The art of the panels is not always that great (some panels are, it's rather inconsistent). The only thing where the manga scores better in my opinion is consistency and character build-up. The anime TOP arc had some inconcistencies that could have been better managed when they had been given more time.

I want to give the manga still a chance, since the real big battles (U11, U3, U6) still have to come.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:47 am

Kogu 87 wrote:
One thing i wish Toyo would fix is the scale of the arena. If you were to look closely at some panels, it seems that the TOP arena is far smaller than it should be.
Yeah, I noticed that's too, in almost every panel. It' really annoying tbh, it looks too small to hold 80 people without them bumping into each other all the time. It also looks like they're on the edge of the arena 90% of the time
Get Fucked, C_unt

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:39 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Kogu 87 wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that's too, in almost every panel. It' really annoying tbh, it looks too small to hold 80 people without them bumping into each other all the time. It also looks like they're on the edge of the arena 90% of the time
I hope he can fix that problem in the next few chapters.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 pm

The arena doesn't look small, it is small. The arena is definitely smaller than in the anime continuity, and people do bump into eachother while fighting. At least 4 fighters were eliminated after someone bumped into them on their way out of the ring, and in the newest chapter, Goku vs Jiren got interrupted by Android 17.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 pm

The manga version of the arc is about as interesting as reading a text summary of what happened in the anime.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Bergamo wrote:The arena doesn't look small, it is small. The arena is definitely smaller than in the anime continuity, and people do bump into eachother while fighting. At least 4 fighters were eliminated after someone bumped into them on their way out of the ring, and in the newest chapter, Goku vs Jiren got interrupted by Android 17.
Agreed. If it feels claustrophobic, that's because it's probably supposed to be. I don't think it's an accident that the arena "looks" small in almost every panel; I think that's most likely yet another intentional decision meant to add to the manga's more apprehensive tone.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:06 am

After seeing the anime, I can accept sacrifices made in the manga. So far the manga is more of how I would have skimmed the anime for my interests as most of the characters I couldn't care less about are thrown out accordingly, though thats my bias. I really only care to see Goku, U7, Jiren, Toppo and U6 to be honest. None of the other characters offered anything and were treated like jokes in the anime. I mean U10 training just being a dance video for "godtube" was just inappropriate.

The anime made a lot of the other characters look pathetic, instead of giving them the same intimidation factor Jiren & Hit had when they debuted. The only thing the manga lacks which could have helped it was just more character monologues to give their thoughts about the fight or how they feel in the TOP to compensate the lack of story. The closest thing to this was Kale's in the latest chapter. Though I don't want the excessive commentary from the stands that the anime had and I am glad there isn't any bad Shounen cheerleading either. Just enough to give backstory to the featured fighters. I do like that Goku isn't making or getting any contradictory statements about his plans or actions the way the anime did, regarding how he will use Blue. There is just more showing over telling in the manga that is at least a strength to read.

People should never have expected every single character get development though, I don't know why people would. Most characters aren't meant to be mainstays. The only thing I disliked, is actually how the manga treated Ribrianne. By comparison she individually lacked the guilty likableness she had for her naivety and the only character having a real goal to become a god herself. Rather the manga just made her extremely shallow. The anime might have given her too much relevance but, she was not given any justice.
Marlowe89 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:The arena doesn't look small, it is small. The arena is definitely smaller than in the anime continuity, and people do bump into eachother while fighting. At least 4 fighters were eliminated after someone bumped into them on their way out of the ring, and in the newest chapter, Goku vs Jiren got interrupted by Android 17.
Agreed. If it feels claustrophobic, that's because it's probably supposed to be. I don't think it's an accident that the arena "looks" small in almost every panel; I think that's most likely yet another intentional decision meant to add to the manga's more apprehensive tone.
Then again, the anime making the arena so large that it allowed characters to and the audience the assumption that - they were all just camping when off screen, which feels dumb. The area being small is more logical for a tournament that isn't a 1v1 fight like the anime gave so much room for. It should be like Smash Bros. If a fight like Jiren vs. Goku broke out, anyone in the way should be thrown aside or fall off within the impact. Thats what a royal should be.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:22 am

hey everyone it's been a while. maybe you remember me. i think i'm best known for my analysis thread about caulifla that is completely accurate but will likely never be confirmed and now not so important because calufla is way better in the manga anyways.

speaking of, one of the things the manga did better than the anime is that caulifla and kale are introduced and portrayed wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in the manga. caulifla isn't just the sister of some no name character who is completely useless and irrelevant. kale isn't just some shy, frail lesbian feminazi with a chip on her shoulder the size of her berserk form.

frieza's actions in the ToP make a lot more sense too. beating the shit out of the U6 saiyans because he fucking hates saiyans buy can't fight the U7 saiyans at the moment and might not get another chance whether they win or lose.

also at this point in the arc, jiren is a little bit better than at this point in the anime. in the anime around this time jiren is still just a block of bleh just fucking standing still in the middle of the arena doing nothing. so far in the manga he has spoken at least 3x more than he has in the anime and we know that he has a wish he wants to be granted more than anything else and he will even abandon his principles to do so.

unfortunately, in the manga the other characters are pretty much useless which is something people were taking a shit on the anime for but in the manga even characters like krillin, tien, and a bunch of other cool characters from other universes get ringed out off screen or after a single panel where we barely get to see them.

i think goku was able to overpower those universe 4 guys with super saiyan rather than wasting super saiyan blue at the drop of a hat like in the anime. the anime pretty much ruined super saiyan blue because they rushed the series out like fucking idiots and didn't think to bring back red until pretty much the last episode where nothing makes any fucking sense anymore.

still, the anime is far more detailed than the manga. we actually got to see a little bit of every universe before the ToP, even if it wasn't too significant. we got something. the anime is just more detailed in general than the manga. so we got two unsatisfying versions of dragon ball super. great work.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:36 pm

The last few manga chapters have really picked up, and I very much liked the decision to have the Gods of Destruction be the ones to take part in the exhibition match, rather than our heroes and the Trio De Dangers. Overall, though, especially in the early chapters... it does feel rushed. It definitely does seem like Toyotaro doesn't have the same luxury the show does in terms of length, sure, but I'm not sure he's always made the most of the space he's given. Thus far I'd say Freeza's gotten the most focus, which has been cool, but I feel Toyotaro probably could've balanced moments out more between the characters. Plus we've yet to reach a big emotional or action moment that I feel matches the ones in the anime version of the ToP.

I also feel that removing Krillin and Tenshinhan so early was a little disappointing. I know some folks have liked it because it makes the tournament feel unpredictable and fast-paced, but I also figure that if you're going to bring those characters back for a storyline, might as well make it count.

On the plus side, art's not bad. There was a scene or two in the latest chapter that still felt referenced/traced, but Toyotarou's ability to convey action's been fairly top notch, and he does nice shading work for Golden Freeza.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Kastex wrote:hey everyone it's been a while. maybe you remember me. i think i'm best known for my analysis thread about caulifla that is completely accurate but will likely never be confirmed and now not so important because calufla is way better in the manga anyways.

speaking of, one of the things the manga did better than the anime is that caulifla and kale are introduced and portrayed wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in the manga. caulifla isn't just the sister of some no name character who is completely useless and irrelevant. kale isn't just some shy, frail lesbian feminazi with a chip on her shoulder the size of her berserk form.

frieza's actions in the ToP make a lot more sense too. beating the shit out of the U6 saiyans because he fucking hates saiyans buy can't fight the U7 saiyans at the moment and might not get another chance whether they win or lose.

also at this point in the arc, jiren is a little bit better than at this point in the anime. in the anime around this time jiren is still just a block of bleh just fucking standing still in the middle of the arena doing nothing. so far in the manga he has spoken at least 3x more than he has in the anime and we know that he has a wish he wants to be granted more than anything else and he will even abandon his principles to do so.

unfortunately, in the manga the other characters are pretty much useless which is something people were taking a shit on the anime for but in the manga even characters like krillin, tien, and a bunch of other cool characters from other universes get ringed out off screen or after a single panel where we barely get to see them.

i think goku was able to overpower those universe 4 guys with super saiyan rather than wasting super saiyan blue at the drop of a hat like in the anime. the anime pretty much ruined super saiyan blue because they rushed the series out like fucking idiots and didn't think to bring back red until pretty much the last episode where nothing makes any fucking sense anymore.

still, the anime is far more detailed than the manga. we actually got to see a little bit of every universe before the ToP, even if it wasn't too significant. we got something. the anime is just more detailed in general than the manga. so we got two unsatisfying versions of dragon ball super. great work.
I don't really see how Jiren's really any better in the manga right now. He isn't standing around, but he's doing all of nothing just the same. We still don't know his wish yet, and at this point in the anime, we learned that he had a wish in mind as well.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 am

Zen Yabuki wrote:
Kastex wrote:hey everyone it's been a while. maybe you remember me. i think i'm best known for my analysis thread about caulifla that is completely accurate but will likely never be confirmed and now not so important because calufla is way better in the manga anyways.

I don't really see how Jiren's really any better in the manga right now. He isn't standing around, but he's doing all of nothing just the same. We still don't know his wish yet, and at this point in the anime, we learned that he had a wish in mind as well.
Jiren said that he didn't want to be responsible for the erasure of other universes. In the Tournament of Power so far, he has only attempted to eliminate fighters that directly threaten him, and he spends the rest of his efforts protecting his team. u11 has all 10 fighters in, and you can see Dyspo informing Jiren of the biggest threats to his team in multiple chapters.

This is consistent characterization, and it shows that Jiren is trying to win by numbers. This is a major point to manga Jiren imo.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:11 am

Bergamo wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote:

Jiren said that he didn't want to be responsible for the erasure of other universes. In the Tournament of Power so far, he has only attempted to eliminate fighters that directly threaten him, and he spends the rest of his efforts protecting his team. u11 has all 10 fighters in, and you can see Dyspo informing Jiren of the biggest threats to his team in multiple chapters.

This is consistent characterization, and it shows that Jiren is trying to win by numbers. This is a major point to manga Jiren imo.
Jiren can't have it both ways. He can't talk about not wanting be responsible for the erasure of a universe, yet he tries to eliminate fighters from other universes, and by virtue, increasing the other universe's chances of being erased. Once you've eliminated any other fighter from any other universe, you've contributed to the possible erasure of the universe they're from. There's no going back on that.