Dragon Ball Super Chapter 37 Prediction Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragon Ball Super Chapter 37 Prediction Thread

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:07 pm

I'm interested in seeing what various members of the fandom predict for this next chapter, especially because all of the chapters in the Tournament of Power so far have consistently subverted expectations.

My Predictions are:
- The Magical Men attack 17 and Goku and u2 gets eliminated.
- Obuni fights Gohan and gets eliminated.
- Roshi eliminates the remaining members of u4.
- Still no u6 saiyans
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super Chapter 37 Prediction Thread

Post by prince212 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:37 pm

MVPs saiyan girls u6
Roshi the focus on u7
Non Vegeta vs Toppo
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:34 pm

prince212 wrote:MVPs saiyan girls u6
Roshi the focus on u7
Non Vegeta vs Toppo
I really don't see any u11 members getting eliminated until Broly-Kale, which will probably be at least 2 chapters from now.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Obuni eliminated by gohan
Roshi takes out some u4 fighters and drops out
u6 saiyans fight pride trooper weaklings
Jiren just like in the anime sits with his hands on his dick and doesn't help his team

R. Daneel Olivaw
Not-So-Newbie

Post by R. Daneel Olivaw » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:42 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:Obuni eliminated by gohan
Roshi takes out some u4 fighters and drops out
u6 saiyans fight pride trooper weaklings
Jiren just like in the anime sits with his hands on his dick and doesn't help his team
I want to see Jiren vs Obuni. I plan to write it. I think Jiren would say something like "It's admirable that you want to protect your family, but without the strength to back up that desire, it is worthless." But Jiren will probably keep his thumb up his ass and not help anyone, except maybe picking off Maji Kayo. I like Maji Kayo, I have a plan with him, too. It's too early for Universe 2 to be erased, it can't happen in the same chapter as 10. I still plan to have 2 and 6 fall at the same time, but not to Universe 7.

I'm really hoping at least one other Universe will finish someone off, so Universe 7 doesn't get every kill. My scoreboard would look like:

Universe 2: 1 Universe eliminated
Universe 11: 1.5 Universes eliminated (1+ an assist)
Universe 4: 2 Universes eliminated
Universe 7: 2.5 Universes eliminated (2 + an assist)

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:07 pm

More characters from the anime that got a chance to shine will be tossed aside (and out of the arena) and manga supporters will call it great writing.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:More characters from the anime that got a chance to shine will be tossed aside (and out of the arena) and manga supporters will call it great writing.
Hey man don't put us all in the same boat. No need to insult them like that either.

I constantly vouch for characters to get their time to shine and demonstrate their powers and personalities.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Exline wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:More characters from the anime that got a chance to shine will be tossed aside (and out of the arena) and manga supporters will call it great writing.
Hey man don't put us all in the same boat. No need to insult them like that either.

I constantly vouch for characters to get their time to shine and demonstrate their powers and personalities.
Fair enough.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:34 pm

You have to be understanding of the fact that it's much easier to give side characters spotlight in a weekly anime.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:50 am

I prefer the anime, but expecting Toyotaro to develop all those characters in a monthly manga is silly. The anime could do it because it aired more than 20 minutes of new content every week and they were sorta forced to develop the characters as it is also a good way to fill the episodes time.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:59 am

Bergamo wrote:
You have to be understanding of the fact that it's much easier to give side characters spotlight in a weekly anime.
emperior wrote:
I prefer the anime, but expecting Toyotaro to develop all those characters in a monthly manga is silly. The anime could do it because it aired more than 20 minutes of new content every week and they were sorta forced to develop the characters as it is also a good way to fill the episodes time.
You guys tend to use this excuse a lot for Toyotaro's case. Proper Character Usage isn't a difficult task for Mangaka's to do. Especially when handling multiple.

Sure the anime had plenty of time to flesh out these characters, but it doesn't mean Toyotaro can't do the same. He either doesn't care or doesn't want to put much effort into utilizing these characters.

Toriyama did better with nearly all of his characters in his tournament arcs. Nam, Giran, Cyborg Tao, Videl, and Spopovich are examples of characters that were well-utilized to make their inclusion leave an impression on us. They didn't need to constantly show up nor did they need unnecessary character development. They just needed to establish who they are, what their fighting for, and why they do the things they do.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:37 pm

-Gohan eliminated Obuni
    -Roshi eliminated Derocori and Ganos and then drops out.
      -Goku and #17 vs U2 trio.

Bergamo
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Exline wrote:
      Bergamo wrote:
      emperior wrote:
      You guys tend to use this excuse a lot for Toyotaro's case. Proper Character Usage isn't a difficult task for Mangaka's to do. Especially when handling multiple.

Sure the anime had plenty of time to flesh out these characters, but it doesn't mean Toyotaro can't do the same. He either doesn't care or doesn't want to put much effort into utilizing these characters.

Toriyama did better with nearly all of his characters in his tournament arcs. Nam, Giran, Cyborg Tao, Videl, and Spopovich are examples of characters that were well-utilized to make their inclusion leave an impression on us. They didn't need to constantly show up nor did they need unnecessary character development. They just needed to establish who they are, what their fighting for, and why they do the things they do.
      Toriyama had a weekly manga. If Toyotaro decides to flesh out a character, then he's just wasted a month that could have been spent progressing the plot. Also, there are 10 times as many participants in this tournament.

Exline
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Bergamo wrote:
      Exline wrote:
      Bergamo wrote: You have to be understanding of the fact that it's much easier to give side characters spotlight in a weekly anime.
      emperior wrote: I prefer the anime, but expecting Toyotaro to develop all those characters in a monthly manga is silly. The anime could do it because it aired more than 20 minutes of new content every week and they were sorta forced to develop the characters as it is also a good way to fill the episodes time.

Toriyama had a weekly manga. If Toyotaro decides to flesh out a character, then he's just wasted a month that could have been spent progressing the plot. Also, there are 10 times as many participants in this tournament.
      There's gotta be a balance of entertaining content (fights, dialogue, characters, etc) and natural progression of the story. We're not getting any of that here.

The manga's interpretation is severely rushed. And don't respond to me saying that "Just because you think Jiren v Goku happened earlier doesn't mean it's rushed" because that's not why I claim it is. It's rushed because of the off-screen eliminations, some poorly-executed eliminations, and characters that get little to no time to demonstrate themselves at all. Like I've stated many times before, I'm not advocating for character development for each individual, I'm expecting Toyotaro to show me their actual character, to express who they are behind their design, because what is the point of making 80+ different designs only for them to just be treated like wastes of space...?

You guys are supporting what appears to be lazy/poor writing on Toyotaro's part who doesn't have the ability to come up with interesting characteristics for multiple characters. He sure can come up with a story, as presented in the Future Trunks arc, as well as write incredible dialogue at some points, but I've now realized how similar most characters seem in terms of their personalities and expressions. Nearly all characters have the same vernacular barring Frieza, Goku, Vegeta, and Jiren. Many of these characters don't seem distinct from each other at all. Everyone feels like their reading off the same script.

Character utilization is clearly not a strong suit of Toyotaro's when you compare it to the anime staff.

prince212
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Exline wrote: Sure the anime had plenty of time to flesh out these characters, but it doesn't mean Toyotaro can't do the same. He either doesn't care or doesn't want to put much effort into utilizing these characters.

Wow this thread went out of the road .
      It’s not fair to compare a regular tournament 1vs 1 with this survival tournament.
      I.m.o The Who you are, what you are fighting for and why , is not allowed ( just for the main cast ) otherwise instead of a 48 minutes universal survival fight we have a universal meeting.com
      The character development was done prior the tournament with the ones chosen for that( u11,u6) , once the tournament started , no time to waste . A good example was that moment when freeza knock out a guy that piccolo was allowing him to talk asking for merci

Exline
      Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:11 pm

prince212 wrote:
      Exline wrote: Sure the anime had plenty of time to flesh out these characters, but it doesn't mean Toyotaro can't do the same. He either doesn't care or doesn't want to put much effort into utilizing these characters.

It’s not fair to compare a regular tournament 1vs 1 with this survival tournament.
      I.m.o The Who you are, what you are fighting for and why , is not allowed ( just for the main cast ) otherwise instead of a 48 minutes universal survival fight we have a universal meeting.com
      The character development was done prior the tournament with the ones chosen for that( u11,u6) , once the tournament started , no time to waste . A good example was that moment when freeza knock out a guy that piccolo was allowing him to talk asking for merci
      But see that's sort of what I'm trying to say. Bergamo was one of the few utilized in a way that explains to us the situation that is at hand. Him begging for survival and then being knocked off compliments Frieza's character as he makes his statement about focusing more on survival. This is what I want more of rather than character's being off-screened and eliminated with a single punch.

prince212
      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Exline wrote:
      prince212 wrote:

But see that's sort of what I'm trying to say. Bergamo was one of the few utilized in a way that explains to us the situation that is at hand. Him begging for survival and then being knocked off compliments Frieza's character as he makes his statement about focusing more on survival. This is what I want more of rather than character's being off-screened and eliminated with a single punch.
      Yeap I can take more instead the single punch elimination abuse ,but not going to the point of The Who,what and why of every character , for example in the last chapter the sumo wrestler and piccolo gag about the honor and that panel showing sumo style attacks , I really like that and only took 2 pages , but I understand we can’t expect that for all the fighters, unless this arc is extended to 15+ chapters, and that will be nonsense for a 48 min battle

Miracles
      I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I like how the manga doesn't pretend and try to make fodder relevant. The anime felt so forced with this.

#Fodderdoesn'tmatter

Marlowe89
      Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Take it from a fellow 89'er, friend -- this is no different than arguing that dedicating irrelevant time to characters who don't need it will be swallowed right up by anime supporters. Let's not engage in petty fan wars, yeah?

Anyway, I'm pretty interested to see what the manga will do with Caulifla and Kale, both of whom were foreshadowed to actually have some significance in the story. Wondering if they'll face off against Goku like the anime or have a different opponent altogether.

Saiga
      Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:52 am

Bergamo wrote:
      And despite having a much easier time, the anime botches it anyhow :lol:

When I look at how the manga has adapted certain plot threads compared to the anime, it makes it hard to predict what will come next. We've already had Hit v Jiren, Freeza's betrayal of Frost, the invisible fighters and U2 girls eliminated which were spaced pretty far apart in the anime.

The fact that Obuni is the only one left of U 10 makes me think we'll still have him vs Gohan, and I expect that to happen soon so U 10 can be eliminated. I also think Roshi's spotlight and elimination must be coming soon.

I'm starting to think the Saiyan girls won't get a 'preview' fight like they had with Goku and U 11 earlier in the tournament, and their spotlight will be reserved until the equivalent of their second and final fight with Goku.
      I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!