Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Sometimes I forget this movie is even coming out, due the lack of news.
If it ain't for the new character designs, I would be thinking at this point the movie would be the first teaser in loop for 2 hours.

I expect more character designs this month and finally the poster next month.
Actually, there's supposed to be a new trailer next month(?) on the Dragon Ball North America Tour.
I think they said that the new movie footage is going to be revealed in September.
Could give me a source that says that? I just want to double check your statement.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:57 pm

JazzMazz wrote: As of now, there really aren't any examples of DB animation that have utilized and stayed close to Shintani's designs for the characters. That should change though with the release of a trailer, which should be coming sometime in July.

Though its not necessarily what your specified, I think its worth noting that there is a high probability that Shintani could have a prominent role as key animator on the film. With this in mind, I think its perfectly reasonable to reflect on the kind of output Shintani is capable of.
This scene by him on the 3d2y One Piece special is a personal favourite of mine, when discussing his body of work. I think it gives a good idea of his style, and what his capable of.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
These look really good on motion, though I not much of a fan of this cartoony art I think it will look good on the big screen.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 pm

majinwarman wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:
RedHeat wrote: Actually, there's supposed to be a new trailer next month(?) on the Dragon Ball North America Tour.
I think they said that the new movie footage is going to be revealed in September.
Could give me a source that says that? I just want to double check your statement.
It's somewhere between July and October, so it's most likely August or September.

Herms tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/998439203602972673
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: As of now, there really aren't any examples of DB animation that have utilized and stayed close to Shintani's designs for the characters. That should change though with the release of a trailer, which should be coming sometime in July.

Though its not necessarily what your specified, I think its worth noting that there is a high probability that Shintani could have a prominent role as key animator on the film. With this in mind, I think its perfectly reasonable to reflect on the kind of output Shintani is capable of.
This scene by him on the 3d2y One Piece special is a personal favourite of mine, when discussing his body of work. I think it gives a good idea of his style, and what his capable of.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
These look really good on motion, though I not much of a fan of this cartoony art I think it will look good on the big screen.
Isn't your avatar a character from Saint Seiya?

Anyway, this was following unique designs by Koudai Watanabe in a one off special. Here's some examples of what his action looks like using more detailed designs(still from One Piece).
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 pm

YonedgeHP wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: I think they said that the new movie footage is going to be revealed in September.
It's somewhere between July and October, so it's most likely August or September.

Herms tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/998439203602972673
Thank you for the information.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:27 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Isn't your avatar a character from Saint Seiya?

Yes, it's the Gold Saint Aquarius Camus.
Anyway, this was following unique designs by Koudai Watanabe in a one off special. Here's some examples of what his action looks like using more detailed designs(still from One Piece).
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
That's what I'm talking about, it didn't need to sacrifice art in order to get good motion in these animated scenes, that's what DB series need most.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

AlexJunin

Post by AlexJunin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Fox Films from Brazil confirmed that the movie will come to brazilian theaters

https://twitter.com/FoxFilmdoBrasil/sta ... 4981879808

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Goku's spanish voice actor for Latinamerica shared the first official poster of the film for the region

https://twitter.com/ccp_mario/status/10 ... 9096595456

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Goku's spanish voice actor for Latinamerica shared the first official poster of the film for the region

https://twitter.com/ccp_mario/status/10 ... 9096595456
Is that the Fox logo in the corner? Anyway sweet, this global release might actually happen... :)

Edit- Just seen the post above too, nice.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Dragon Ball Super: The Movie confirmed to debut in Latin American theaters on January 24th. Great! :clap:
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Only a month and a bit away from the Japanese release. That's awesome! It's incredible how fast the Latin American dub can get things done. If Funimation can get it out around the same time then I'll be impressed.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:51 am

That's awesome to see the movie being released just a little over a month apart from its Japanese release. Latin American fans must be happy, I'm sure the movie will be a big success considering how insanely popular Dragon Ball is over there.
I hope we will receive news from other countries soon.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:32 am

UPDATE: The movie is confirmed to be released in Peruvian and possibly Chilean theaters on January 17th. Man, this is awesome.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 am

YonedgeHP wrote:UPDATE: The movie is confirmed to be released in Peruvian and possibly Chilean theaters on January 17th. Man, this is awesome.
Where did you get this news?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:03 am

emperior wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote:UPDATE: The movie is confirmed to be released in Peruvian and possibly Chilean theaters on January 17th. Man, this is awesome.
Where did you get this news?
Cineplanet's Facebook page: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

When we got character designs for FnF, like those we already have for this movie, were Goku and Vegeta in their new clothes? I'm asking to know if I can be sad about nothing new or if I can hold on to a slimmer of hope.

I still don't understand why they abandoned the clothes from FnF, so disappointing. Guess they were scared of holding on to something original..., can't have that in modern Dragon Ball. :x

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:25 am

LightBing wrote:When we got character designs for FnF, like those we already have for this movie, were Goku and Vegeta in their new clothes? I'm asking to know if I can be sad about nothing new or if I can hold on to a slimmer of hope.

I still don't understand why they abandoned the clothes from FnF, so disappointing. Guess they were scared of holding on to something original..., can't have that in modern Dragon Ball. :x
To be fair, they just completely revamped the entire look of the cast, so I don't think we can blame them for going back to basics with the attire's of the characters considering this massive stylistic change.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Movie confirmed by 20th Century Fox to be released in Chilean theaters on January 17th, the same day as Peru: https://twitter.com/CineFoxChile/status ... 3058741249

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:29 pm

LightBing wrote:When we got character designs for FnF, like those we already have for this movie, were Goku and Vegeta in their new clothes? I'm asking to know if I can be sad about nothing new or if I can hold on to a slimmer of hope.
RF's first image was its official poster which had them in their new clothes so chances are they're going to be in these old ones for the whole movie and moving forward.
JazzMazz wrote:They just completely revamped the entire look of the cast, so I don't think we can blame them for going back to basics with the attire's of the characters considering this massive stylistic change.
They had no business going back to their old design in the first place as they should've continued with them till the end of the TOP. It was one of the few things that showed DB was in a new era as the majority of the cast was always changing in the original series.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm

emperior wrote:That's awesome to see the movie being released just a little over a month apart from its Japanese release. Latin American fans must be happy, I'm sure the movie will be a big success considering how insanely popular Dragon Ball is over there.
I hope we will receive news from other countries soon.
The problem as always will be the different Toei branches, unfortunately me being in the UK we're stuck with the worst one... :(