Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 am

Hey guys. Happy Father's Day! Hope you have a great time with your Dads. And since it's Father's Day, I want to ask you guys...
Who do you think is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?
(Inb4 people say Piccolo :roll:)
Caulifla best girl! :)

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Who is the best Dad in Dragon Ball?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:20 am

Gohan or Kuririn, probably. We don't see them "parenting" much, but they seem like incredibly gentle, caring fathers.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

It's probably Gohan, it's really obvious that he cares about his daughter, and he shows it at every opportunity.
Get Fucked, C_unt

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:25 am

Krillin because Super doesn't make the strongest case for Gohan. It's not his fault in GT though.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:34 am

Let's see.

Gokuu died for his kid twice, raised his son during his formative years, took his son fishing and would consistently physically embrace Gohan throughout the story and chapter title art. Gokuu was a highly invested dad, even after the hick up of not realizing that Gohan didn't fight Gokuu readily accepted this and was okay with it.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:01 am

Krillin or Gohan.

Goku and vegeta love their kids but they are always away from home for their own selfish desires (getting stronger). Can't be dad of the year when you are on some other planet for months on end because you want to get strong. Not to mention goku wasn't even there for gohans birth and Vegeta didn't care about either trunks until cell put a hole in him

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:01 am

Goku is a much better father than fans give him credit for, but realistically it's probably either Gohan or Kuririn as others have mentioned.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:15 am

Krillin and Gohan are a must even though we don't really get to see them be parents in the original manga. In addition to that"

Grandpa Gohan- let's face it, he is a "grandpa" only in name. He took in a strange, feral child that could transform at night into a world-ending beast and raised him to be pretty great guy.
Bora- though I might be thinking more of anime here.
Dr. Briefs- maybe a little too indulgent and laid back, but he seems chill and supportive of everything his daughters are up to.

Goku is not the worst by far, but is not what I'd call a good father. He didn't want to get married, so I think it's fair to say he didn't care much about becoming a father either. He gets away with a lot because he is a naturally friendly and good-spirited person that genuienly cares about his friends and family. but his priorities are messed up, he is selfish and reckless, and his reaction to seeing Goten for the first time and then needing prompting to give him a good hug before supposedly leaving forever pretty much shows how he regards family bonds.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:14 am

17. He would spend an entire wish on the Super Dragon Balls just for a holiday trip with his family.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:11 pm

Bora is the best dad. He sacrificed his life to save his son from Tao Pai Pai. He's always been with his son and taught him everything he knows.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 pm

The Grand Priest. Only his children were safe from being erased.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Piccolo and Vegeta.

Piccolo took in Gohan, gave his life for him, and is currently the guardian of Gohan's daughter Pan.

Vegeta fights for his son, and inspires him to be strong and to fight on.

As much as I like Goku, he's not mature enough, he goes absent frequently, and he's intentionally or unintentionally endangering people.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Gyu-Mao! The guy just wants his daughter to be happy. I'm also reasonably sure he's the only one who has yet to physically assault their offspring.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 am

Gligarman wrote:Gyu-Mao! The guy just wants his daughter to be happy. I'm also reasonably sure he's the only one who has yet to physically assault their offspring.
I'm sorry. When did Krillin ever punch Marron in the face?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Gligarman wrote:Gyu-Mao! The guy just wants his daughter to be happy. I'm also reasonably sure he's the only one who has yet to physically assault their offspring.
I'm sorry. When did Krillin ever punch Marron in the face?
I could have sword I edited that post! Ah well, to clarify I meant to say Gyu-Mao, Gohan (not Grandpa), Kuririn, and technically Bardock. Probably a few more I left out but still, Gyu-Mao's badass!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Gligarman wrote:I could have sword I edited that post!
Here you go.

...only teasing. On a more serious note, while Bardock never hit Goku in either Father of Goku or DB Minus, what about Raditz? Sure, it was never shown in the former (and probably the latter, though I never read it TBH) but it wouldn't have been completely unexpected.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:40 pm

An important part of being a good father is being a good example. Vegeta's past alone disqualifies him regardless of how well he treats Trunks, which up to the Buu arc wasn't well. He never gave him a hug until he was about to give his life to try to kill Buu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Most likely Kuririn and Gohan if we’re discussing best overall at their fatherly duties. Those two seem the most grounded and affectionate.

Vegeta deserves a “most improved” award. He’s not what I’d call a “good” father but he’s loads better than where he started out so he gets a bit of a learning curve.

Goku I still think is a pretty good dad. Not perfect but I think the things Goku does get right are being accepting of his kids, protecting them and showing them affection which I’d argue are the most important things.

Gyu-mao seems to be a good father though I thought he was a violent berserker for a while? Unless that was before ChiChi was born.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:40 pm

King Cold. He gave his kids everything, literally, he gave them whole planets and trusted them enough to let them be in charge, also cared for them, he wasn't like those materialistic parents that think that buying them stuff is showing their love, he actually cared for their well being, he warned Freeza to never go against Buu or Beerus, and when his kid got bullied by some monkey, he travelled across the universe the next day to kill that bully. And even though he pretended that he didn't give a fuck about Freeza, it was just a ploy to get Trunks off guard so he could avenge his son.

And his fucking ungrateful son wouldn't even consider resurrecting him

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 am

Gohan since he was always a good person and was never selfish (except that trash SSJ2 himself from Cell saga). He also never forced Pan to anything. He didn't force her to be someone she doesn't want to. He fully accepted when Pan left tournament after discovering she would take Satan's place.

Also, Bora, simply for a fact he gave up his life for Upa.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta